5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

Can understand trying to get him though a bad patch by giving him minutes but I don’t think this is a bad patch. This is the player he is. If he’s going to have a future here in a side that’ll hopefully become successful we’re going to need to accept that and use him intelligently.

For me that means smarter and sparingly. He will NEVER be reliable and consistent over a period of games. He needs to be used tactically as an impact sub, to give better players a rest when they need it and when there’s a specific tactical role for him to perform against a specific opposition player/team. He’s is lacking in far too many of the basics to be a regular starter.

At some point the fake indignation by the “top reds” whenever someone dares notice the flaws in his game will subside

But sure, other than his finishing, awareness, decision making, vision, defending, work rate and lack of footballing intelligence the lad is world class.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It’s like his head is constantly in the clouds. He’s still capable of some decent moments but fecks us over so often this season.

I think he has a lot of talent and I’ve always rooted for him on here, but who knows whether we’ll actually see him flourish in to the player he could be?

Frank White

He had 2 chances to finish the game that he should have taken. 4-2 and it’s goodnight, but instead we leave them in the game.

You can wave your top red flag all you want but the simple fact is he should be finishing those and he didn’t.
:boring: nothing to do with being a "top red"... End of the day was clear to anyone without a agenda to push who was at fault for the dropped points tonight.

Sure he should have buried that 1 on 1 but that doesn't negate the fact ddg basically gave them 2 goals.

Frank White

I believe in Marcus, but he is far from being a finished article.

That said, I'm getting worried we might miss on better players because we put all our money on Rashford making the step up.
Better players being who if you don't mind me asking?

stw2022

It isn’t his fault we haven’t signed better players than him. When we do people who insist he’s a top-drawer talent will look ridiculous

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This. How many wingers are as good as him? It's obvious how he can improve but even without improving he is one of the best wide players in the world.

Is it overly harsh to suggest he could have done a lot more here, in terms of Doucoure's run?

He's the only one who can see Doucoure's movement, who can impact the play, yet he completely ignores that fact and allows Doucoure to run unmarked onto Shaw's blind side. Even after the ball's been flicked on, and he clearly knows it's going to Doucoure, he casually jogs towards him for a half-second before stopping.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Mental. Faults he has, no doubt. But another assist tonight. Compare his numbers, I dare you with the best wide men in the league. The Sterling's, the Salah's, whoever. United fans piss me off.

Red00012

Dreadful 1st half how many times does he have to give it away before he realises maybe I’ll just play a safe pass this time instead of needlessly giving the ball away

stw2022

Mental. Faults he has, no doubt. But another assist tonight. Compare his numbers, I dare you with the best wide men in the league. The Sterling's, the Salah's, whoever. United fans piss me off.
Anyone who wants to begin to compare Rashford with Salah because of “numbers” need their head’s testing.

Eddy_JukeZ

He should have buried that chance at 3-2.

Just an inexecusable miss honestly.

RC89

Typical of Rashford. Not the most intelligent forward, regularly makes the wrong choices and is selfish. He has great pace, and can hit the ball pretty sweet at times but he's nowhere near as good as the media make him out to be.

Also, he comes across as someone that isn't very coachable. There's no way the coaching staff in all these years haven't spoken to him about trying to beat the offside trap, yet so many good moves break down because he's too thick to try and stay onside.

He is still young, but he's also VERY experienced for his age. Decision making should have improved by now.

RC89

The fact you think you can compare Salah to Rashford because of numbers this season's should tell you that it's a silly argument. Salah has proven that he is twice the player Rashford is at their respective best.

acnumber9

The fact you think you can compare Salah to Rashford because of numbers this season's should tell you that it's a silly argument. Salah has proven that he is twice the player Rashford is at their respective best.
At 23 Mo Salah was on loan at Fiorentina because he wasn’t good enough for Chelsea. It doesn’t mean he’ll progress as well but it’s not really a fair comparison anyway. Since we’re comparing anyway, Mo Salah had 45 career goals despite playing at a significantly lower level.

acnumber9

What on Earth are you smoking? You think Rashford is comparable to Salah? :lol:
This season they’re performing at a similar level. At the same age, there’s no real contest. And it’s not in Mo Salah’s favour.

RC89

At 23 Mo Salah was on loan at Fiorentina because he wasn’t good enough for Chelsea. It doesn’t mean he’ll progress as well but it’s not really a fair comparison anyway. Since we’re comparing anyway, Mo Salah had 45 career goals despite playing at a significantly lower level.
I don't even agree that Mo Salah is a fair comparison TBH but since the previous poster decided that we should compare Rashfords stats to Salahs to demonstrate just how good Rashford is, I'm just pointing out that goals this season for Salah v Rashford is a ridiculous example because 1. Salah actually has 5 more goals with 4 less appearances 2. Anyone with a set of eyes can see Salah is streets ahead.

Agree that Rashford has had a much more impressive start to his career but to assume he's going to suddenly become amazing, even close to peak Salah is pure conjecture. I hope he improves, but what I can see right here and now is that he's quick, can be good on the break, has a good shot from range, is selfish and pretty thick on the pitch. Overall a decent, albeit vastly overrated player.

RC89

This season they’re performing at a similar level. At the same age, there’s no real contest. And it’s not in Mo Salah’s favour.
Were not comparing at same age. We're looking at now. If you really want to get into goals scored etc. Rashford in his best season for us has managed only one more goal than Salah has in this poor season he's having for Liverpool, and it's barely February.

The Salah comparison is ridiculous. There are plenty of players that were much more accomplished than Salah at 23, few of which ever reached his heights.

acnumber9

Salah actually has 5 more goals with 4 less appearances
He’s also taken 5 more penalties. Rashford has played a grand total of 46 minutes more than Salah. There’s no guarantees that Rashford will ever get to the productivity that Salah has had previously. He might and he might not. On current form, there’s not a lot between them. Salah could go back to being in superior form, or he may not. At the same age, there is no comparison.

Who are the wide players that are currently outperforming Rashford?

Foxbatt

If he has a half a brain and that if he understands that football is a team game, he would be a fantastic player.

RedDevilzFox

Its hard to blame forwards when you score 3 goals. Its clear we are the worst performing side defensively in top 10 so we know where the issues are. Still, he misses some sitters that make you go nuts.

RC89

He’s also taken 5 more penalties. Rashford has played a grand total of 46 minutes more than Salah. There’s no guarantees that Rashford will ever get to the productivity that Salah has had previously. He might and he might not. On current form, there’s not a lot between them. Salah could go back to being in superior form, or he may not. At the same age, there is no comparison.

Who are the wide players that are currently outperforming Rashford?
Why do I need to compare him to others when I can see that he's overrated? I don't watch enough football outside United these days to provide you with a list but what I can say is that having watched Rashford for every single United match, he is vastly overrated. He never gets criticised by pundits. He's an incredibly selfish player without the talent to justify it (not to say he is untalented) and his football IQ is poor. Tell me one player in our own team who is as bad at beating the offside trap as him. Including James (who is pretty useless TBF) and the newbie Greenwood.

acnumber9

Why do I need to compare him to others when I can see that he's overrated? I don't watch enough football outside United these days to provide you with a list but what I can say is that having watched Rashford for every single United match, he is vastly overrated. He never gets criticised by pundits. He's an incredibly selfish player without the talent to justify it (not to say he is untalented) and his football IQ is poor. Tell me one player in our own team who is as bad at beating the offside trap as him. Including James (who is pretty useless TBF) and the newbie Greenwood.
Why wouldn’t you? He’s scored 38 goals and got 22 assists since the start of last season. That’s more than Son and Mane. It doesn’t make him one of the best players in the world but then who is claiming that he is? It just makes him one of the best in position in the league.

He makes runs in behind because that’s the tactic. That means you end up offside if the pass doesn’t come on time. Do you know who used to be offside a lot? Ruud Van Nistelrooy. And he was as good a goal scorer as you could hope for. He’s been offside 19 times this season in the league. That’s less than once a game. You’re looking for things to be pissed off about. The standard he is held to is ridiculous. Look at the table for offside stats and see what they have in common. They’re fast players looking to get in behind.

RC89

Why wouldn’t you? He’s scored 38 goals and got 22 assists since the start of last season. That’s more than Son and Mane. It doesn’t make him one of the best players in the world but then who is claiming that he is? It just makes him one of the best in position in the league.

He makes runs in behind because that’s the tactic. That means you end up offside if the pass doesn’t come on time. Do you know who used to be offside a lot? Ruud Van Nistelrooy. And he was as good a goal scorer as you could hope for. He’s been offside 19 times this season in the league. That’s less than once a game. You’re looking for things to be pissed off about. The standard he is held to is ridiculous. Look at the table for offside stats and see what they have in common. They’re fast players looking to get in behind.
He is literally the most offside player in the league with Vardy. So no I'm not looking, I wasn't even aware of this stat until this moment. He doesn't even try to stay on side when he gets going. Look at how Mason will arc his run compared to Rashford. And stats aside, from what I've seen, it's the sheer stupidity of when he is offside. They're not marginal calls when in and around the box, he's got 25 yards of green in front of him and he's offside agains the defender he's directly up against.

The Ruud example is not really fair. Yes he was offside a lot maybe, but this was in and around the box most of the time where space was at a premium. Rashford is literally running in a straight line trying to get onto a ball that's being played into space, completely different scenarios.

acnumber9

He is literally the most offside player in the league with Vardy. So no I'm not looking, I wasn't even aware of this stat until this moment. He doesn't even try to stay on side when he gets going. Look at how Mason will arc his run compared to Rashford. And stats aside, from what I've seen, it's the sheer stupidity of when he is offside. They're not marginal calls when in and around the box, he's got 25 yards of green in front of him and he's offside agains the defender he's directly up against.

The Ruud example is not really fair. Yes he was offside a lot maybe, but this was in and around the box most of the time where space was at a premium. Rashford is literally running in a straight line trying to get onto a ball that's being played into space, completely different scenarios.
He starts the runs from deep, watch the number of goals he scores from beating the offside trap. He’s good at it, being offside less than once a game on average is an incredibly small price to pay. He’d a bad game against Liverpool for offsides and its being treated as if it’s the norm.

You asked earlier who gets caught offside as much as Rashford in our squad? Martial.More offsides per minute played in the league this season.

el3mel

Salah started playing in Europe in 2012 when he was about 20, so that was basically his 2nd or 3rd year at European football. Rashford has been playing at this level for 6 years. Salah's 6th year in European football was his first Liverpool year which was his best one.

Comparing age to age doesn't make sense because of things like these. Not every player has the same age and career trajectory. Rashford maybe 23 but he has now played 6 years as regular starter in a top English PL team. He is neither a youngster nor inexperienced anymore and can't honestly be treated like one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't know at this point really. I would love us to sign some proper winger in the mould of Coman or Neto, even this Grealish guy looks quite good (although different kind of player).

But I'm pretty sure there will be others too.

The thing with Rashford is he's neither an effective winger nor good goalscorer. Time is still on his side but I'm a bit worried we rely on him so heavily this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What sort of thought process leads him to do a heel chop clean through on goal. Funnily enough I thought he was good apart from his finishing, they were terrified of him.

stw2022

Why rely on facts when we can rely on your opinion?
Because it’s football.

Why even watch a match when you can find it out what happened, how everyone played and how exciting it was by looking at the stats the next day?

Modern fans inability to have any opinion on the game that isn’t “2 in the last 4” or “87%” whatever these metrics are associated with, is so depressing.

Scrolling to the table at bottom of everyone’s Wikipedia page to will only tell you so much.

I wonder if some wonder why players are scouted in person. Presumably it’s baffling to them why anyone would want to watch a player to assesses them when they could just Google their pass completion rate. Foolish to let judgement get in the way of “facts”

Last edited:

OldTrevil

He's never been clinical, and you can't blame for missed chances when the team created and scored enough to win most matches. He's a good player and gives us a unique threat out wide or in the channels with his speed and trickery. Vastly overrated in the media of course and Ole has a weird blind spot with him, but that's none of his fault. It seems to have gotten to his head though, and his work rate and decision making have suffered as a result.

Name Changed

weso26
Another player who seems to lack a brain. He made so many poor decisions when he was closing in on the goal.

His cross for Cavani though was magical.

Banana Republic

Another player who seems to lack a brain. He made so many poor decisions when he was closing in on the goal.

His cross for Cavani though was magical.
The ball into Cavani for the opening goal was a fantastic, but other than a few decent passes and a couple of runs, he was total pants again for 80% of the game.
I lost count of how many times our possession or attacking moves broke down when Rashford had the ball, due to poor decision making or poor control.
He effectively closed Shaw down (his own team mate) a number of times and killed our forward momentum by not making a positive move or run, but by ambling back towards Shaw, causing Shaw to slow down or stop running forward and snuffing out the break down the left.
Defensively, Cavani and Bruno ran themselves into the ground with the high press and trying to stop Everton regrouping, where as Rashford was missing in action again.

Take the blinkers of people. It's not looking good.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Because it’s football.

Why even watch a match when you can find it out what happened, how everyone played and how exciting it was by looking at the stats the next day?

Modern fans inability to have any opinion on the game that isn’t “2 in the last 4” or “87%” whatever these metrics are associated with, is so depressing.

Scrolling to the table at bottom of everyone’s Wikipedia page to will only tell you so much.

I wonder if some wonder why players are scouted in person. Presumably it’s baffling to them why anyone would want to watch a player to assesses them when they could just Google their pass completion rate. Foolish to let judgement get in the way of “facts”
And like I’ve said before and you ignore, are you watching his peers? Because if you’ve watched the likes of Son, Mane or Sterling of late you’ll not be seeing better performances either.

Status
Not open for further replies.