Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Never stopped trying, never stopped working was one of the three players who are solely responsible for the W. Some weird reactions in here though if I'm honest, one of the key contributors on the day.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'd still chew him out for not squaring that ball to Cavani.
He's a striker, I don't really get this criticism. You can see on the replay he took a look up on the edge of the box and Cavani wasn't there so he went in for it on his own. Which is what you want strikers to do, have the confidence in those areas to put it on goal. The keeper basically threw anything at it and made one of those flukey armpit/body saves and we all (for some reason) after the fact say its a shit finish because he doesn't finish it. (I think it was also offside mind.)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
2nd leading scorer for us. 2nd leading assists. He's going nowhere guys.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He needs a rest IMO, poor performance and abysmal decision making at times. Striker or not, he's got to raise his head and see that square pass to second striker. He had all the time in the world.

Even off form his crossing is decent. I'd give him a rest against PSG, but if he has to play, put him on the right.

Pavl3n

Martial and Rashford are both more or less hot & cold players. At the moment both are cold, gotta get them improving. But its very funny how Martial get so much more stick even though Rashford has been equally bad for most of the season. Today rashy, a very dire performance. Good cross though for Cavani, lets not forget that. " Unlike Martial he never stops trying" :rolleyes:
Not that I'm advocating for Rashy, but he's got 8 goals and 4 assists so far this season, whereas Martial has 2 goals and a single assist.
Rashy's doing a tad better than Tony.

archiebald

Made plenty of poor decisions today, was frustrating to see him drive right into a crowd of Southampton defenders and then get dispossessed. Very lazy on defence too, if he's not fit we need to give him a rest.

That pass into the box for Cavani to score the winner wasn't even that good. Too low - Cavani had to really contort his body to get his head on it. A lesser CF, even if he does make the run to get to the ball, doesn't finish that attempt.

Last edited:

UncleBob

No need to quote, the whole conversation is based around you twisting my words.

You've been implying all along that I claim Rashford to have been performing at a consistent top level. Whereas I maintained all the way through that he's been clearly the best performer of a bad bunch. You can't discredit their stats, Marcus has been a positive influence towards the team overall, he has done okay but can and should do much, much better. This is the season I expect him to get to the next level if he wants to be a starter for a club with ambitions to win the major trophies.
Shame, i was looking forward to more facts.

There's no twist of words, for some strange reason you seem rather obsessed with putting an overly positive spin on things. Being one of the least shit performers out of our attackers doesn't equate to playing well, which is the entire point. I'm desperate for the fecker to return to his 19-20 pre-injury form, but Rashfords positive influence the past month has been a penalty scored against Istanbul when we were 2-0 up, the assist today against Southampton and the absurdity of an assist against Everton, where he rolled the ball sideways and then managed to miss a cross that was delivered on a plate, but fortunately the cross then went in off the post....It's an interesting margin that, going from missing a tap in at 1-1 to having an assist instead because the ball, luckily, bounced off the post and into the net. Personally, i don't understand how this translates into something positive, because it's not as bad as Martial and Greenwood? great...

HowieC

Never stopped trying, never stopped working was one of the three players who are solely responsible for the W. Some weird reactions in here though if I'm honest, one of the key contributors on the day.
He was just as bad as he’s been for awhile. He frankly seems like a lower tier epl player at best.

Not sure why the cafe hangs onto him like some sort of lesser ronaldo. He’s strong and fast, that’s it. Average technique and poor decision making. Cavani at 33 is way way better.

Red_toad

He was just as bad as he’s been for awhile. He frankly seems like a lower tier epl player at best.

Not sure why the cafe hangs onto him like some sort of lesser ronaldo. He’s strong and fast, that’s it. Average technique and poor decision making. Cavani at 33 is way way better.
What a crock of shite!

shahzy

He's a striker, I don't really get this criticism. You can see on the replay he took a look up on the edge of the box and Cavani wasn't there so he went in for it on his own. Which is what you want strikers to do, have the confidence in those areas to put it on goal. The keeper basically threw anything at it and made one of those flukey armpit/body saves and we all (for some reason) after the fact say its a shit finish because he doesn't finish it. (I think it was also offside mind.)
C'mon mate. That's an easy square pass tap in. Doesn't matter if you're a striker, defender, coach or ballboy. I'd still expect you to square that for an easy goal.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
C'mon mate. That's an easy square pass tap in. Doesn't matter if you're a striker, defender, coach or ballboy. I'd still expect you to square that for an easy goal.
Watch the replay, when he looks up and makes his mind up he's near the edge of the area Cavani is not in space or on for the tap-in. Unless he makes the decision right there to let the ball run and not go for goal and square a hopeful ball to someone he can't see at the time of the decision then you can't really blame him for a striker being a striker and putting his head down and attempting to finish. Or that's my take anyway.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Watch the replay, when he looks up and makes his mind up he's near the edge of the area Cavani is not in space or on for the tap-in. Unless he makes the decision right there to let the ball run and not go for goal and square a hopeful ball to someone he can't see at the time of the decision then you can't really blame him for a striker being a striker and putting his head down and attempting to finish. Or that's my take anyway.
Agreed. Unless Rashford has eyes on his back, there's no way to see Cavani was coming from behind.

HowieC

No just hoping you run out of your daily allowance of posts with the adults and go back to kindergarten soon ;)
Freedom of speech. Get to criticize our players when they aren’t playing well, or in the case of rashy just not good enough.

I’ll leave your safe space now.

DoomSlayer

Shame, i was looking forward to more facts.

There's no twist of words, for some strange reason you seem rather obsessed with putting an overly positive spin on things. Being one of the least shit performers out of our attackers doesn't equate to playing well, which is the entire point. I'm desperate for the fecker to return to his 19-20 pre-injury form, but Rashfords positive influence the past month has been a penalty scored against Istanbul when we were 2-0 up, the assist today against Southampton and the absurdity of an assist against Everton, where he rolled the ball sideways and then managed to miss a cross that was delivered on a plate, but fortunately the cross then went in off the post....It's an interesting margin that, going from missing a tap in at 1-1 to having an assist instead because the ball, luckily, bounced off the post and into the net. Personally, i don't understand how this translates into something positive, because it's not as bad as Martial and Greenwood? great...
So you're being a grumpy old fart and you blame me for that???

I don't even want to engage with you anymore because your whole mentality is so toxic. Keep trying with your childish remarks about "fachts" and your ridiculous attempts at sarcasm when you have no rational argument against my posts.

I've backed myself with evidence, you try to find reason in your emotional drivel about how shite Rashford has apparently been. Imagine calling the 2nd highest goalscorer in the CL this season "shit", imagine calling for that guy to be dropped for a player that his biggest highlights so far have been a red card in a 6-1 thrashing and an own goal against PSG, that could've cost us a vital CL win. It's truly embarrassing and it's painful to continue reading your agenda-driven comments.

Or maybe you want Rashford to be dropped for Dan James, or Mata, maybe Ighalo? Truly a pathetic stance to take.

UncleBob

So you're being a grumpy old fart and you blame me for that???

I don't even want to engage with you anymore because your whole mentality is so toxic. Keep trying with your childish remarks about "fachts" and your ridiculous attempts at sarcasm when you have no rational argument against my posts.

I've backed myself with evidence, you try to find reason in your emotional drivel about how shite Rashford has apparently been. Imagine calling the 2nd highest goalscorer in the CL this season "shit", imagine calling for that guy to be dropped for a player that his biggest highlights so far have been a red card in a 6-1 thrashing and an own goal against PSG, that could've cost us a vital CL win. It's truly embarrassing and it's painful to continue reading your agenda-driven comments.

Or maybe you want Rashford to be dropped for Dan James, or Mata, maybe Ighalo? Truly a pathetic stance to take.
You and your excellent evidence and straw men. You can't even stick to what i'm actually writing. Easy ignore.

DoomSlayer

You and your excellent evidence and straw men. You can't even stick to what i'm actually writing. Easy ignore.
Finally someone puts me on their "ignore list" before I do. I pray that Marcus keeps on producing the goals and assists on a regular basis so that you keep on being salty.

ace2ace234

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here!!

I've noticed since Rashford has come back from the injury he just doesn't look right, he seems to walk around the pitch and his work rate seems to have dropped significantly, I'd love to see his running stats before and after the injury, i.e. distance covered and number of sprints, as I suspect it is a lot lower but I could be wrong, anyone know where I could get them numbers?

I'm not pushed on his decision making as such as it must be okay with the numbers he is producing, as I've said my concern is over his work rate, also his body language is off and this has been picked up on by commentators and posters on this forum.

Anyway, that's my two sense!!

Grande

So he gets in by default then?
You must use that word differently to how I use it. To me ‘default’ refers to a standard setting that is upheld regardless of actual quality or function. If Rashford contributes less than James, Greenwood, Mata, Martial or Lingard, and still is regularily picked ahead of them, that would be similar to a default setting.

if you look at all those alternatives on Friday, and comes to the evaluation that Rashford is probably be a better choice for the starting line-up this Sunday, based on his actual contribution of late being better than the other alternatives, and he fits the gameplan vs Southampton in particular better - then that is the opposite of a default setting.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
You must use that word differently to how I use it. To me ‘default’ refers to a standard setting that is upheld regardless of actual quality or function. If Rashford contributes less than James, Greenwood, Mata, Martial or Lingard, and still is regularily picked ahead of them, that would be similar to a default setting.

if you look at all those alternatives on Friday, and comes to the evaluation that Rashford is probably be a better choice for the starting line-up this Sunday, based on his actual contribution of late being better than the other alternatives, and he fits the gameplan vs Southampton in particular better - then that is the opposite of a default setting.
No mate. best option in that position = default option.

poleglass red

I thought he was poor yesterday, but then he put that nice cross for Cavani, and you think why can't he do that more often.His decision making seems poor, then he pulls out that one great piece of skill, very similar to Martial in that regard.I can take poor decisions, I thought Bruno made some horrible ones himself yesterday, but you know eventually once of his passes will come of, with Rash you don't get that feeling, more in hope than expectation. I know his stats are decent, but like Martial there seems to be a much better player in them that what we are currently not seeing. Fitness, injuries, I don't know......

Mike Smalling

For a player who has played +250 games at professional level, including for England, his decision making is shocking at times. Maybe it is just a bad spell or a lack of confidence, but he would be twice the player if he was better at choosing when to pass, dribble and shoot. Also, there have been numerous times this season, where he could have gone left, but chose to cut inside to the middle to face 2-3 defenders. That's an aspect of the game he should try to improve.

Think he needs a bit of a break soon. Hopefully Ole doesn't overplay him.

Volumiza

Oxford:
A preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer.
Ok Rachel Riley :lol:

I was just stating that currently he is our best option so gets picked on that basis. Maybe now though with Cavani as a proper number 9, Martial can compete with Rashford for that LW role.

Grande

Ok Rachel Riley :lol:

I was just stating that currently he is our best option so gets picked on that basis. Maybe now though with Cavani as a proper number 9, Martial can compete with Rashford for that LW role.
Which is good to have cleared up, as I thought you accused him of getting a free pass ;) (I don’t even know who Rachel Riley is, but I guess I might google it now).

We did create quite a bit of movement with Martial - Cavani - Rashford against Basaksehir. It’s a bit of rotten luck that neither of Rashford, Martial or Greenwood are in good form atm. Hope one of the two latter breaks their duck, so we have better options.

Volumiza

Which is good to have cleared up, as I thought you accused him of getting a free pass ;) (I don’t even know who Rachel Riley is, but I guess I might google it now).

We did create quite a bit of movement with Martial - Cavani - Rashford against Basaksehir. It’s a bit of rotten luck that neither of Rashford, Martial or Greenwood are in good form atm. Hope one of the two latter breaks their duck, so we have better options.
I actually think Martial on the left, Rashford on the right either side of Cavani is a pretty decent frontline ... if Rashford and Martial can sort their form out.

Foxbatt

His decision making has always been poor. It's a coaching issue too. But again he has not regularly played with a CF who can make those moves into space before Cavani.
With Rashford he tries hard and tracks better than either Greenwood or even Martial. He has cut down his shooting which is detrimental to his game. He just needs to be selective about his long range shooting. He is now trying to dribble inside the box instead of shooting from outside the box. He should shoot when he gets the opportunity.

Hellboy

He's been more or less terrible for the last 18 months apart from the flash or brilliance here and there ... only the kids are saving him now

dal

Made plenty of poor decisions today, was frustrating to see him drive right into a crowd of Southampton defenders and then get dispossessed. Very lazy on defence too, if he's not fit we need to give him a rest.

That pass into the box for Cavani to score the winner wasn't even that good. Too low - Cavani had to really contort his body to get his head on it. A lesser CF, even if he does make the run to get to the ball, doesn't finish that attempt.
He crossed a ball into about the only position it could have been finished first time. Far enough from the defenders and near enough to the goal and it was met by a diving header.

I’d say it was a good cross.

Chicharito_

He's been more or less terrible for the last 18 months apart from the flash or brilliance here and there ... only the kids are saving him now
So you're saying he wasn't very good at the start of the 2019/20 season when he was scoring goals for fun?

Just a flash of brilliance when he had 14 goals and was one of the top scorers in the Prem before his back injury?

When do you remember him being good then, under Jose? Give it a rest..

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Amazed this hasn't got more attention... a) it was a bloody great ball... lots of whip, pace, and accuracy and b) "Really contort his body" = bend over a bit.

The ball was so good that basically all Cavani had to do was get his head on it (which he did well to do)... the pace on it and trajectory meant it would then stay low and powerful and be difficult to save.

The fact that a lesser CF doesn't do that is irrelevant, because it wasn't a ball for a lesser CF

-Supreme-

Amazed this hasn't got more attention... a) it was a bloody great ball... lots of whip, pace, and accuracy and b) "Really contort his body" = bend over a bit.

The ball was so good that basically all Cavani had to do was get his head on it (which he did well to do)... the pace on it and trajectory meant it would then stay low and powerful and be difficult to save.

The fact that a lesser CF doesn't do that is irrelevant, because it wasn't a ball for a lesser CF
I am amazed by how you have down played Cavani finish to make it sound like it was put on a plate for him to score which in reality was a half chance even for the best strikers in the world.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I am amazed by how you have down played Cavani finish to make it sound like it was put on a plate for him to score which in reality was a half chance even for the best strikers in the world.
The best bit about Cavani was the run and movement, the actual finish (a glancing header) was fairly routine for someone like him (but still very well executed).

-Supreme-

The best bit about Cavani was the run and movement, the actual finish (a glancing header) was fairly routine for someone like him (but still very well executed).
If you think the execution is really routine stuff then you’d surely be disappointed no matter what strikers we bring in.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
There are bad opinions, and there are terrible opinions. This is the latter

Annihilate Now!

Scout
If you think the execution is really routine stuff then you’d surely be disappointed no matter what strikers we bring in.
For Cavani? Scorer of hundreds of goals? A supremely accomplished header of the ball? Yeah I'd say it's pretty routine for him.

I'm not saying it's the easiest thing in the world... but as soon as Cavani got his head on that I would expect him to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.