5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

For Cavani? Scorer of hundreds of goals? A supremely accomplished header of the ball? Yeah I'd say it's pretty routine for him.

I'm not saying it's the easiest thing in the world... but as soon as Cavani got his head on that I would expect him to score.

So all Cavani had to do was to put his head on it to score that chance?

Whilst acting surprise to see a poster for saying it was only a good cross by Rashford?

Rashford cross is more of a routine stuff for any decent wingers than Cavani header for the current world class strikers

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So all Cavani had to do was to put his head on it to score that chance?

Whilst acting surprise to see a poster for saying it was only a good cross by Rashford?
Pretty much, the pace and the trajectory meant it just needed to be a guiding header - much like a lot of glancing headers.

ITs a saying in football when a ball is whipped across like that, "You just need to get your head on it" - surely you've heard this saying?

Also the poster didn't' say it was good... he said it wasn't good.

Offsideagain

Rashford is now being hounded by the press apparently. The Daily Mail (pause whilst I throw up) are having a go because he has property and it’s come as a shock that a well paid person is investing in property and not spending all his money feeding kids, which isn’t his responsibility. The lad, and he is still a lad, will learn from Cavani and Bruno and become a better player. Steve Coppell when asked about how he aimed for forwards when he crossed said he didn’t, he just heaved the ball into the area and it was up to the strikers to get to it. Picking out a player whilst running at pace is almost impossible.

-Supreme-

Pretty much, the pace and the trajectory meant it just needed to be a guiding header - much like a lot of glancing headers.

ITs a saying in football when a ball is whipped across like that, "You just need to get your head on it" - surely you've heard this saying?

Also the poster didn't' say it was good... he said it wasn't good.
I couldn’t disagree more with the finish, as I have said there are a very few strikers in the world that can routinely finish that chance he converted and I have no doubt Cavani couldn’t do this consistently if he was to present the same chance over 10 times.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I couldn’t disagree more with the finish, as I have said there are a very few strikers in the world that can routinely finish that chance he converted and I have no doubt Cavani couldn’t do this consistently if he was to present the same chance over 10 times.
Thats fair enough - I would disagree on Cavani though - he's scored over 50 goals with his head... I think he buries that chance 8 or 9 times out of 10.

For what its worth XG rated it as a 0.27 chance (meaning it would be converted 27% of the time) ... by comparison his other header had an XG of 0.32... but obviously that depends on how much you buy into that sort of stuff

Coops73

I noticed that when he lifted his shirt to wipe his face during the Southampton game, he had some sort of blue strapping across his chest and his left arm, could be still getting a bit of grief from the shoulder injury which could be an explanation as to his poor form at the moment.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I noticed that when he lifted his shirt to wipe his face during the Southampton game, he had some sort of blue strapping across his chest and his left arm, could be still getting a bit of grief from the shoulder injury which could be an explanation as to his poor form at the moment.
More than likely one of those manziers players wear to help track metrics.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Striker must be a little bit selfish but that chance one on one where he had Cavani free was too much. You just must see your teammate in that situation and you must pass him the ball

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Thats fair enough - I would disagree on Cavani though - he's scored over 50 goals with his head... I think he buries that chance 8 or 9 times out of 10.

For what its worth XG rated it as a 0.27 chance (meaning it would be converted 27% of the time) ... by comparison his other header had an XG of 0.32... but obviously that depends on how much you buy into that sort of stuff
Where did you find that?

Raw

Very surprised he hasn’t been nominated for sports personality of the year
I think what confuses people is that the award is just for sporting achievements, and not for what they do for charity. Rashford didn't have the most amazing season hence why he isn't nominated.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think what confuses people is that the award is just for sporting achievements, and not for what they do for charity. Rashford didn't have the most amazing season hence why he isn't nominated.
I think what confuses people is the inclusion of the term "personality" when the award is just for sporting achievement.

Posh Red

Fair enough. Like the poster below I kind of assumed it was more of an all-ecompassing accolade

Sylar

Very surprised he hasn’t been nominated for sports personality of the year
It needs to be renamed or the 'personality' bit needs to be removed
It won't because it's long running but this confusion happens every year haha

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's been more or less terrible for the last 18 months apart from the flash or brilliance here and there ... only the kids are saving him now
A bit harsh. He had that brilliant 2-3 month period last season where he really came to life and looked like he was reaching the level that he's always had the potential to do. I wouldn't class that just as a 'flash' of brilliance. Unfortunately the injury put an end to that and he really hasn't been the same since.

HowieC

A bit harsh. He had that brilliant 2-3 month period last season where he really came to life and looked like he was reaching the level that he's always had the potential to do. I wouldn't class that just as a 'flash' of brilliance. Unfortunately the injury put an end to that and he really hasn't been the same since.
The 2-3 month flash was true, but he really only has the ability to do well on the counter aganinst teams that don’t take us seriously and play a v high line due to his weak top level technique.

It’s quite evident that his ability to cut in from the left and shoot is poor against top teams due to his lack of close control in the dribble cut.

Perhaps he can offer more on the right.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The 2-3 month flash was true, but he really only has the ability to do well on the counter aganinst teams that don’t take us seriously and play a v high line due to his weak top level technique.

It’s quite evident that his ability to cut in from the left and shoot is poor against top teams due to his lack of close control in the dribble cut.

Perhaps he can offer more on the right.
Doesn't he have an extremely good scoring record against top teams?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Doesn't he have an extremely good scoring record against top teams?
He has, almost everything is wrong in that post. He has done well against deep defensive lines too. He isn't consistent but he has done it against all sort of teams.

Threesus

He certainly has a good reputation across europe(for exampleTuchel is a big fan of him). It will be good for the team if he comes into form, because when he is on it, he is electric and is by far the best attacker in the team. But the question remains, will he get going? He definitely isn't as robust as he once was, and seems to get affected by every challenge/every 50-50 in a game. Maybe he shouldn't have been overplayed so much last year that his body broke down. It definitely will be shame if this is his level going forward.

I would certainly bring him on as a substitute today with 2 or three of Martial, Greenwood and Cavani starting. Feel like he needs a breather.

Highfather_24

His all around play has detoriated this season, very frustrating. Apart from couple of good matches, its been bad. Yes he might get you that odd goal or assist(which is vital), but he will miss/mess up 3-4 good opportunities before that.

The frustrating part is he has the ability. Its his decision making, and footballing intelligence. He keeps making these blindside runs ,where he just runs straight up with the ball, doesn't pass, gets crowded out and loses the ball. So frustrating. You just know that nothing's gonna come off that chance. Also frustrating is when he messes up easy passes and refuses to run at players and plays it safe.

He can take it up couple of gears, and needs to be more consistent now. Just because Martial and Greenwood are struggling this season as well, his performances are not under that much of a microscope(also gets leeway because he is homegrown and because of his off field work), but I hope he improves soon. Otherwise I won't be surprised if he gets benched.

archiebald

The frustrating part is he has the ability. Its his decision making, and footballing intelligence. He keeps making these blindside runs ,where he just runs straight up with the ball, doesn't pass, gets crowded out and loses the ball. So frustrating. You just know that nothing's gonna come off that chance. Also frustrating is when he messes up easy passes and refuses to run at players and plays it safe.
The last game against Southampton he ran into a crowd of defenders on at least 2-3 occasions and gave away the ball each time

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Seems almost scared of taking people on. Not sure if he’s carrying a knock. They were terrified of him though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Signalled to the bench for a sub a good 10 minutes before being taken off. We're playing him injured and getting nothing for it. Its affecting his play and his decision making. Why do we keep persisting with it?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seems almost scared of taking people on. Not sure if he’s carrying a knock. They were terrified of him though.
I think he must have been, he didn't look good when he got taken off.

Threesus

He signalled to the bench for so long before taken off. It's totally on Ole. He helped us equalise and put the ball on a silver platter for Martial. Today's loss is not on him.

Swiss_Red89

He looked injured the whole game. I think he has still problems with his shoulder injury he got at Goodison a few weeks back.

But have to say, despite playing with 70% he made things happen. Scored and should have had an assist for Martial.

ace2ace234

What has happened to his work rate?
He doesn’t press(is it just me or is he the only one not pressing in our front line, I seen it time and time again!!) or track back anymore, strolling around again!!!

predator

Youth NITK
He was our mbappe or neymar tonight. The one who had it in him to do something that can get us a goal. He Was far from perfect but when I saw he was injured I kind of lost hope regarding us scoring a deadly counter.

siw2007

Played very well tonight I thought bar the last 5 minutes before he was taken off, would like to see more of him on the right going forwards to see how he does.

My only criticism of him would be that once he signalled to the bench, when the ball went out of play, he should have gone down to slow the game up, think PSG's 2nd wouldn't have happened then.

Otherwise a great game and didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Shoulder is clearly not right and should take some time off to get it right before coming back!

Needs to get his head in the game sharpish.
I love Rashford, and actually thought - on-ball - he was more dangerous tonight than he has been this season...but his work-rate, pressing, tracking back and off-ball runs have been really below par for a long time. Out of possession he just has no intensity or drive, and that's been the case for...way too long.

He's become a selfish player - not with his passing or decision making, but with the effort he gives his teammates.

Maybe it's down to an injury - but considering he routinely plays 90 minutes every game, plays Wednesday-Saturday back to backs, plays England friendlies - you have to judge it on the information we have.

Idxomer

Why was he playing?

He had an impact but it was obvious he was injured and was scared to go into any challenges all game.

Hoof the ball

He did all he could and was a constant menace. I'm going out on a limb and saying that his pass that led to Martial's miss was poor. I know people are going to ultimately say that it's on Martial, and it is because you have to score those chances, but in terms of decision making, Bruno was square, closer and with the defender further away. Bruno would have been one on one. Martial got the ball and it was ill-weighted. The pass was soft enough to invite pressure from the immediate defender and Martial snapped the shot under pressure because the defender would have got it otherwise. That's on Martial, ultimately, but the quality of the pass could have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.