5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2Lose

Great clip to illustrate what a lot of people have been noticing for some time.

You've got to take into account how little defensive effort Rashford and Martial make before judging our full backs too harshly.

Counterfactual

What if Rashford has been told not to chase down people, not to jump into challenges and not to track back, to protect him from injury?

I'm sure he'd be running and chasing around if allowed. I doubt he's just got lazy.

Ole plays him all the time, so perhaps his fitness is just being managed due to a perceived lack of alternatives.

Bojan11

What if Rashford has been told not to chase down people, not to jump into challenges and not to track back, to protect him from injury?

I'm sure he'd be running and chasing around if allowed. I doubt he's just got lazy.

Ole plays him all the time, so perhaps his fitness is just being managed due to a perceived lack of alternatives.
Cavani does it and he came back from a bigger injury. There’s no excuses for him or Martial.

spiriticon

If he is THAT injured he shouldn't be playing. I don't buy that he is injured.

I can maybe accept that it was a tactical instruction from Ole to him and Martial to not track back too much but if so, what is he doing at left back? You either help in defence or you stay up the pitch, stay ONSIDE, and get ready to run for it when it comes over the top.

Don't walk around in the defensive area because it literally serves no purpose. He is not helping to win the ball back and even if we do, he is not in the right position to counter.

Counterfactual

If he is THAT injured he shouldn't be playing. I don't buy that he is injured.

I can maybe accept that it was a tactical instruction from Ole to him and Martial to not track back too much but if so, what is he doing at left back? You either help in defence or you stay up the pitch, stay ONSIDE, and get ready to run for it when it comes over the top.

Don't walk around in the defensive area because it literally serves no purpose. He is not helping to win the ball back and even if we do, he is not in the right position to counter.
I agree with the reasoning that it'd be better to not track back at all than track back and then be useless.

I'm just wondering if it's a possibility that the coaches may have some idea that he's close to being overplayed, and so may be telling him to take it easy. In managing him like that, they may think they'll get more matches out of him this season while avoiding injury.

I'm not buying the argument that he's become lazy. I think he's either injured, or the coaches are scared he'll get injured.

bsCallout

I agree with the reasoning that it'd be better to not track back at all than track back and then be useless.

I'm just wondering if it's a possibility that the coaches may have some idea that he's close to being overplayed, and so may be telling him to take it easy. In managing him like that, they may think they'll get more matches out of him this season while avoiding injury.

I'm not buying the argument that he's become lazy. I think he's either injured, or the coaches are scared he'll get injured.
Him not tracking that run yesterday is nothing other than being lazy.

Raven

He's incredibly inconsistent, that's his problem. Until he improves on his decision making and overall application, that will stay the same.

spiriticon

I can't imagine that reasoning at all. What's the point of getting Rashford to play 60 matches at 50% of his maximum? You're not getting the best out of him and you're risking more severe injury by playing 70-90 minutes every match.

If he truly has an hidden injury, he'd be better off starting on the bench and coming on as an impact sub playing at 100% for 15-20 minutes and blowing all their tired legs away. Or even better still, let him heal up properly at home!

Last edited:

Doracle

Him not tracking that run yesterday is nothing other than being lazy.
Except everything we know about Rashford indicates that he is far from lazy. If we exclude that he’s caught “laziness” somehow, then we look for other reasons. Most likely is that he’s been told not to track back - whether that’s tactical or to manage injury we don’t know.

On the example above, he should have tracked the player regardless of overall instructions, given the danger. However, I suspect he made a bad call taking into account that he’s not supposed to be tracking back, rather than just being lazy.

jem

You're upset about a tongue in cheek comment, which was more a dig at his lack of heading. Of course I have nothing to say.
No I'm annoyed by the Daily Mail-esque line, implying that his off-field work is somehow politically motivated. I agree he was absolute shite last night, and that laziness was borderline unforgivable. But none of that undermines the incredible work he's doing off the field.

bsCallout

Except everything we know about Rashford indicates that he is far from lazy. If we exclude that he’s caught “laziness” somehow, then we look for other reasons. Most likely is that he’s been told not to track back - whether that’s tactical or to manage injury we don’t know.

On the example above, he should have tracked the player regardless of overall instructions, given the danger. However, I suspect he made a bad call taking into account that he’s not supposed to be tracking back, rather than just being lazy.
I've seen some excuses but that is good going.

He has already tracked back. He is standing next to the player and lets him just walk away from him whilst watching it all happen. That is just pure laziness.

& No way is he told not to track back, what a load of rubbish.

Why is it beyond scope that he is just being lazy?

bsCallout

No I'm annoyed by the Daily Mail-esque line, implying that his off-field work is somehow politically motivated. I agree he was absolute shite last night, and that laziness was borderline unforgivable. But none of that undermines the incredible work he's doing off the field.
Exactly, incredible work, so why is it a slight that he might go into politics? :lol:

Glorio

Rashford and Martial are almost certainly not asked not to tackle
- especially considering they play wide (they may have been asked to hold a high position, but that would be it). Greenwood the other day was talking about the fact that he's had to up his defensive game to support AWB.

This is laziness, plain and simple. And there is ample evidence of this sort of strolling from both he and Martial.

RedStarUnited

Why would a manager instruct 2 of his players not to tackle? Because I assume you also believe Martial is told not to bother either.

Also, whilst those two are walking around, Bruno and Cavani have to still work??

stw2022

The reluctance some have to accepting that Rashford isnt GOAT is unfortunate.

If he wasn’t an academy player close to nobody would be thinking of excuses for him. Too many fans refuse to face reality if a player has come through the club until it becomes painfully obvious.

The pretence he’s an elite player would be hilarious to fans of every other top club in Europe. He walks around the pitch, hardly anything he tries comes off, much of the stuff he tries looks absolutely baffling.

In the right conditions he has a bit of speed and his finishing is better than poor.

That doesn’t pass for top class and the only reason people pretend it does it because he came through the academy. That’s what’s making people refuse to accept the lad is average. It’s not an knock. Plenty of players who are average have great careers but this nonsense that he’s some world class talent waiting to shake off a knock really has to end.

If you consider lack of experience I think Greenwood is ahead of both him and Martial in terms of threat, work rate and development. Rashford and Martial are worse players than they were two season ago

jem

Exactly, incredible work, so why is it a slight that he might go into politics? :lol:
Hey, I think I misread your tone - I thought you were implying that his work was politically motivated and/or calculating. If so, then apologies. Seeing us lose to Sheffield United has probably got me a bit oversensitive!

bsCallout

Hey, I think I misread your tone - I thought you were implying that his work was politically motivated and/or calculating. If so, then apologies. Seeing us lose to Sheffield United has probably got me a bit oversensitive!
No, no. It was tongue in cheek & suggesting he has a decent future even without football.

bsCallout

Not taking a lot of issue with the comment but I think it's a little early for him to be entertaining the idea, let alone anyone else.
Of course it is, the main intention of the comment was to highlight his lack of challenging for headers suggesting it's because he's sorted no matter what and doesn't want to worry about CTE.

Falcow

I can forgive a poor performance but what he did in the 56th minutes in our LB area was shocking. He just stood there watching and made absolutely no effort to help the players trying to win the ball back. @GifLord can maybe kindly share the clip.
This infuriated me more than anything last night. Thay little cameo sums up everything I hate about Rashhford, he princes around thinking he is Pele and too good to have to help out back there.

He is absaloutely shite bar the odd flash in games.

arnie_ni

Pointed this out in the match thread.

This was disgraceful by rashy

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Pointed this out in the match thread.

This was disgraceful by rashy

This was being mentioned for some time now that his work rate has dropped massively in last 2 years under Ole. Could be because Ole wants him to focus his energy to score goals but that is inexcusable.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

The problem with that theory is he's been like this for 18 months now, long before he got that back injury. It was noticeable right from the moment last season started that his workload had absolutely plummeted.

HowieC

The reluctance some have to accepting that Rashford isnt GOAT is unfortunate.

If he wasn’t an academy player close to nobody would be thinking of excuses for him. Too many fans refuse to face reality if a player has come through the club until it becomes painfully obvious.

The pretence he’s an elite player would be hilarious to fans of every other top club in Europe. He walks around the pitch, hardly anything he tries comes off, much of the stuff he tries looks absolutely baffling.

In the right conditions he has a bit of speed and his finishing is better than poor.

That doesn’t pass for top class and the only reason people pretend it does it because he came through the academy. That’s what’s making people refuse to accept the lad is average. It’s not an knock. Plenty of players who are average have great careers but this nonsense that he’s some world class talent waiting to shake off a knock really has to end.

If you consider lack of experience I think Greenwood is ahead of both him and Martial in terms of threat, work rate and development. Rashford and Martial are worse players than they were two season ago
Absolutely spot on. He is deadset average, but people here are so invested in pretending otherwise.

RedStarUnited

Does anyone else feel like he knew he was being subbed and selfishly decided to shoot? It was such a bizarre decision.

How can his decision making be this bad?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Does anyone else feel like he knew he was being subbed and selfishly decided to shoot? It was such a bizarre decision.

How can his decision making be this bad?
Yes. Bizarre decision. One of many sadly.

flappyjay

You have Martial lazying around and then there is Rashford with the highest level of selfishness

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Terrible decision making today. We had a four on three (i think) just before he was taken off and he chose to shoot.

Awful decision making once again. Just bizarre that he doesn't look arsed at all out there. Not one for armchair psychology but I expect Martial to stand still and emotionless all game, not Rashford.

YzWayne

His decision making is appalling. I hope real or Barca can rob a bank for him now. His off the field achievements is definitely commendable but he can’t make a single decision right this game

Walters_19_MuFc

Play him on the left or dont fecking playing. Its hurting his game. That said, he has poor performances on the left but on the right he doesn't offer much.

Status
Not open for further replies.