Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Luckily people don't rate players based on that, which lacks any context. Imagine in this age where you have so many stats, still going by goals per game or games per goal stats.
Agreed, there are a whole variety of stats available. However to dismiss goals per game for a forward seems to miss the point of what forwards are meant to do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Agreed, there are a whole variety of stats available. However to dismiss goals per game for a forward seems to miss the point of what forwards are meant to do.
It's not. Starting a game is not same as coming on as a sub. Also there are stats like assists and then there are different positions too. Rashford played as winger till Ole became manager, before that he was more of a winger than wide forward.

He averages around 200 mins per goal, that's around 2 games per goal which isn't a bad record considering how young he started to play for ManUtd and then playing 2.5 years as winger under Jose. He averages 124 mins per G+A in his career. That's a very good record for a young player who is yet to hit his peak.

If you just go by games, he played 125 games for Jose but it's just 7000 mins in total, which is equivalent of 78 full games.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's not. Starting a game is not same as coming on as a sub. Also there are stats like assists and then there are different positions too. Rashford played as winger till Ole became manager, before that he was more of a winger than wide forward.

He averages around 200 mins per goal, that's around 2 games per goal which isn't a bad record considering how young he started to play for ManUtd and then playing 2.5 years as winger under Jose. He averages 124 mins per G+A in his career. That's a very good record for a young player who is yet to hit his peak.

If you just go by games, he played 125 games for Jose but it's just 7000 mins in total, which is equivalent of 78 full games.
I'd argue that he was neither a winger (in the mould of Giggs, etc), nor a striker (in the mould of Kane). If he had those stats as a genuine winger I'd be more inclined to agree.

The problem with the whole G+A stats is that they are clearly always going to look twice as good, as you are essentially crediting two players with one goal. If Rashford wins 10 penalties, all converted by Fernandes, and Fernandes plays 10 through balls, all scored by Rashford then using your metric Rashford has 20 G+A, AND Fernandes has 20 G+A. Which would imply 40 goals, whereas the reality is that it's still only 20 goals in total.
Scoring 70 goals in a season (7 players each scoring 10 goals) is not that impressive and won't win the league, but it sounds a lot better if there are 140 goals or assists (7 players each getting 20 G+A) in order to achieve those 70 goals.

roonster09

Scout
I'd argue that he was neither a winger (in the mould of Giggs, etc), nor a striker (in the mould of Kane). If he had those stats as a genuine winger I'd be more inclined to agree.

The problem with the whole G+A stats is that they are clearly always going to look twice as good, as you are essentially crediting two players with one goal. If Rashford wins 10 penalties, all converted by Fernandes, and Fernandes plays 10 through balls, all scored by Rashford then using your metric Rashford has 20 G+A, AND Fernandes has 20 G+A. Which would imply 40 goals, whereas the reality is that it's still only 20 goals in total.
Scoring 70 goals in a season (7 players each scoring 10 goals) is not that impressive and won't win the league, but it sounds a lot better if there are 140 goals or assists (7 players each getting 20 G+A) in order to achieve those 70 goals.
He still averages 200 mins per goal, which is good record considering he is playing since he was 18 and as a winger.

You have to credit 2 players for the goal, the player who creates it and the player who scores it. That's the whole point. These G+A are added up to count team goals, it's to count individual contribution to the goals.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He still averages 200 mins per goal, which is good record considering he is playing since he was 18 and as a winger.

You have to credit 2 players for the goal, the player who creates it and the player who scores it. That's the whole point. These G+A are added up to count team goals, it's to count individual contribution to the goals.
I'm aware you have to credit two players with one goal, I'm just making the point that the way you then view that number has to taken in context (i.e. halved, when compared to a simple goals per game). I agree a goal per 200 minutes is reasonably good. I'm not saying he's not reasonably good, I'm saying he's not great, and I doubt he'll be a player who fundamentally affects his teams chances of winning the league unless he improves, which is neither a certainty nor an impossibility.

roonster09

Scout
I'm aware you have to credit two players with one goal, I'm just making the point that the way you then view that number has to taken in context (i.e. halved, when compared to a simple goals per game). I agree a goal per 200 minutes is reasonably good. I'm not saying he's not reasonably good, I'm saying he's not great, and I doubt he'll be a player who fundamentally affects his teams chances of winning the league unless he improves, which is neither a certainty nor an impossibility.
Reasonably good?. Obviously might have missed few great players in the list, his goal scoring record is comparable to the few of the best wide players of this decade.

Mane's record also includes nearly half of the goals scored in Austrian league, Salah's record includes goals from Swiss league and Egyptian league, Still their record is marginally better than Rashford.

1 player won't improve the chances to winning the league, it's a 38 game marathon, you need good team and a good coach to win the league

GoalsMinsMins per Goal
Hazard
164​
42965​
261.98​
Mane
165​
30545​
185.12​
Salah
196​
32961​
168.17​
Son
168​
32334​
192.46​
Sterling
136​
30413​
223.63​
Sane
60​
14389​
239.82​
Gnabry
66​
12524​
189.76​
Coman
40​
12300​
307.50​
Sancho
46​
9429​
204.98​
Reus
174​
32200​
185.06​
Rashford
85​
17113​
201.33​
Bale
176​
39590​
224.94​

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just came across a very bizzare stat that Craig Dawson has more goals in 2021 than Marcus Rashford.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Anyone else feel that this guy is being run in to the ground right now? 45 appearances this season. Potentially another 20 more for Utd, 3 international matches coming up at the end of March, and then literally straight from the end of the league season into the Euro preparations.

Red & White

He does need a rest. Looked a bit off it, again, tonight. We needed him, though, and he played. He could do with taking the international break off with a ‘knock’ to be honest.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He should be given a rest during the International break, Southgate has no reason to call him up he knows all about him by now

Swiss_Red89

He should be given a rest during the International break, Southgate has no reason to call him up he knows all about him by now
I saw an article in which Ole said that he talked to Southgate about the Rashford injury and if it makes sense to call him up. And Ole gave Southgate the green light if Rashford is fit enough to play again for United before the international break, which was the case tonight. Rashford seems tempted to go as he loves playing for England and already missed the last england camp. So i reckon he will go if not for his injurie(s) getting worse.

He looked good tonight imo, he had a lot worse games recently.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It’s the World Cup qualifiers; it’s about winning, and qualifying, not about Southgate learning about new players. Otherwise he would drop the whole squad.

kundalini

Wasted a big chance with a poor header wide from Greenwood's super cross. 3 other attempts, 2 shots from distance at an angle, that were blocked and a tame header easily saved when he appeared to be offside.

Linked well at times with Luke Shaw. Provided through-ball that Fernandes just reached before the keeper but saw his shot saved.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He spent a good 2 minutes holding his ankle, he’s obviously playing with injections through the pain barrier.

I appreciate his effort but it’s very risky.

Polar

Don’t know what happens with Rashford. To many touches, keep the ball to long and very often try impossible things - and fail. He plays like he still is 20/21. It’s time for him to take the next step and play more like matured and experienced player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It’s the World Cup qualifiers; it’s about winning, and qualifying, not about Southgate learning about new players. Otherwise he would drop the whole squad.
ah is it? Assumed it was pointless warm up friendlies ahead of the Euros

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He should do much better, that's why we need Grealish as a competition, brilliant player who will push both Fernandes and Rashford, also very different in style, consistent dribbler and passer would do a lot of good to this team.

AgentSmith

Clearly playing through an injury. It’s not obvious when he’ll get the time to recover from it either.

A decent game given those circumstances and his link up play with Shaw was consistently our best pattern of play. I think next season will be the season he takes the leap towards world-class.

Cannot do a decent header to save his life though, worse with his head than Tulisa.

Red00012

Himself , Martial and Greenwood need a crash course on how to head the ball

Banana Republic

He's been poor recently but I thought he had a good game today.
He’s been poor all season (even towards the end of last season), except for a few games. But even in those good games, he was poor for parts of the match.
The Caf player ratings have him as the worst rated player for this match, just as with so many games this season.
Player match ratings on other Utd forums are saying the same.

Art

Art the artist
There was a moment in the game where I was really worried for Marcus. He looked all out of sorts. Needs a break.

Swiss_Red89

He’s been poor all season (even towards the end of last season), except for a few games. But even in those good games, he was poor for parts of the match.
The Caf player ratings have him as the worst rated player for this match, just as with so many games this season.
Player match ratings on other Utd forums are saying the same.
He has had up and downs but to state that he was poor all season is wrong imo. He's constantly contributing and is always available even when half fit.

Of course he is capable of better performances than today but he could easily have had another assist and if he could head the ball a goal. His link up play with Shaw was very good and i felt even his so often criticised decision making was mostly on point today.

roonster09

Scout
He spent a good 2 minutes holding his ankle, he’s obviously playing with injections through the pain barrier.

I appreciate his effort but it’s very risky.
I thought that was because he was exhausted, not ankle injury.

Anyways thought he was decent, linked up well with Shaw and released him few times and Shaw had good space to put in good cross, also played good enough pass to Bruno but GK did very well to collect the pass, Bruno couldn't get enough on the ball to flick the ball above GK.

Mbappe2021

Supports
Real madrid
Himself , Martial and Greenwood need a crash course on how to head the ball

Go and watch martial goals and come back anthony is a good header of the ball and has scored plenty .

Rashford and greenwood are are the rubbish ones in the air but i get it that you can't criticize marcus alone so you had the bring anthony in there even when he didn't play.

They are countless clips of marcus ducking under the ball who is simply a sissy when he comes to aerial challenges even though anthony can be like that as well but he is way better in that department than both.

Red00012

Go and watch martial goals and come back anthony is a good header of the ball and has scored plenty .

Rashford and greenwood are are the rubbish ones in the air but i get it that you can't criticize marcus alone so you had the bring anthony in there even when he didn't play.

They are countless clips of marcus ducking under the ball who is simply a sissy when he comes to aerial challenges even though anthony can be like that as well but he is way better in that department than both.
Granted he is a bit better than the other 2 which wouldn’t be difficult he’s no Kane either . He has 4 PL goals none have been headers

Bwuk

You can tell he’s f*cked when he’s on the pitch.

Worried about him long term if we keep playing him injured.

Andersons Dietician

Very typical Rashford performance for me although maybe it was because he was tired or injured but he seemed to pass more often to Shaw and use him more than he normally does. Normally it’s like he has blinders on and just ignores Shaw time and time again. However how he hasn’t squared that ball to Greenwood is why people get annoyed and question his footballing brain. Few times he tried his usual drive in but was less effective than it normally is and that’s a low bar.

Do think he was showing signs around the 75th minute he was injured or knackered, started honbeling about and for the last 10 minutes he looked to really be Struggiling. Don’t see why Ole would even risk him Aggravating something or making it worse.

Should add good few times he actually made some defensive actions and chased people down, something he has been pretty awful at recently. Ignore the yellow card for that tackle he did.

Doracle

Didn’t look fit but did a decent job for us. Two key passes that could have led to goals and some excellent passes into Shaw. Gave him a 7.

On his heading, it’s never been good but appears to have got a lot worse recently. I wonder if it’s possible he hasn’t really been practicing it due to back/shoulder issues?

Nickelodeon

All he needs to become absolutely world class is some clinical finishing. Almost every game, Rashford squanders the first chance he gets. Sometimes it’s an easy one like yesterday. He has all the tools in his locker.

Hopefully, with returning players, Ole will be able to manage his minutes better and he remains injury free.

Eugenius

He's still a massive enigma for me. He's on track to get 20+ goals this season without being on penalties and seemingly not being fit. But feels like a far cry from the all round play he showed in the first half of last season. He almost consistently always makes the wrong decision, and misses big chances.

Either it clicks and he comes Ronaldo mk2, or he will be somewhat Nani level for us (good numbers, good moments but equal parts frustrating).

AC Milan 0:1 Man Utd

Woodenlung

He really needs a very long rest but he just won't get one. Clearly wasn't fit at all to play in this game but started anyway. He could barely run in the first half.

Swiss_Red89

I don't think Rashy is helping himself with his "i will always help the team and give my absolute all for the club"-attitude. While it is admirable, he has to start to listen to his body soon, otherwise i'm worried about his long term fitness.

Today he clearly wasn't match fit. And while our management is also to blame as they seem to refuse to give him the needed rests, even when he is not fit, he himselfs is the one who has the last say and can decide if he is able to play a game on this level or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.