Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think that back injury has played a part in his downfall, hampered him whilst playing through the pain barrier and post injury he's had to tweak a few things.

He's also lost that directness, aggressiveness and fearlessness too, he's majorly stagnated the past 3 seasons.
I don't see any difference between what he was like before the injury and now. Seems as fast as ever, very fit. I really struggle to understand why people relate Rashford performances to the injury, because fitness certainly doesn't seem to be the problem. His decison making, awareness, positioning though... Those are all in his head.

He needs proper positional coaching now. Too long he's been left to just wonder around and do what he wants.

Obviously the injuries have set him back a long way, but he's always been best out wide. He needs space to dribble. Look at what he did against Norwich at the end where Ronaldo put it over the bar. That's what we should be seeing more often.
Yeah towards the end last 5/10 minutes before DVB came on Bruno went into the middle and Rashford on the left. He then did that nice counter attack and Ronaldo nearly got the 2nd.
I agree about the positional coaching.
Regarding the space to dribble - that's obviously true, however the problem is how poor Rashford is at linkup play to get himself 1on1 with a defender. The difference between Sancho and Rashford is like night and day. Greenwood on the other hand is far more skilled and faster with the ball, so he can make some space for himself.
Rashford linkup play is non existent, he gets the ball and starts running at the defence (no matter how many opposition players) or he just passes it to our defenders and jogs back to frontline, so back to square one. That's the biggest problem with Marcus.

Jackal981

H
I don't see any difference between what he was like before the injury and now. Seems as fast as ever, very fit. I really struggle to understand why people relate Rashford performances to the injury, because fitness certainly doesn't seem to be the problem. His decison making, awareness, positioning though... Those are all in his head.

Regarding the space to dribble - that's obviously true, however the problem is how poor Rashford is at linkup play to get himself 1on1 with a defender. The difference between Sancho and Rashford is like night and day. Greenwood on the other hand is far more skilled and faster with the ball, so he can make some space for himself.
Rashford linkup play is non existent, he gets the ball and starts running at the defence (no matter how many opposition players) or he just passes it to our defenders and jogs back to frontline, so back to square one. That's the biggest problem with Marcus.
He cant play one two with his teammate to save his life.

Jackal981

Yes because Ronaldo the striker can hold up the ball and pass like Benzema to a player people were calling the "diet Ronaldo".. :rolleyes:
Not only to Ronaldo, how many times we see him link up with Telles or Shaw ? Sancho did that all the time with Dalot

Idxomer

That's gonna be the biggest challenge for Rangnick or the next manager, getting those individuals to move as a unit in all phases of play. We have too many players who are either inadequate or just uninterested in building-up play.

Frank White

Not only to Ronaldo, how many times we see him link up with Telles or Shaw ? Sancho did that all the time with Dalot
No he didn't and Rashford and Shaw normally have a good connection. Doesn't help both are woefully out of form but last year Shaw and Rashford linked up well on the left.

justsomebloke

Well, he does score quite a lot of goals in that way. Sat through a video of all of his 20 goals last season:

- 7 of those came through runs in behind the opposition line where he beat the last defender to the ball and then beat the keeper with a direct shot.
- 1 further where he made a run in behind the line, dribbled defenders who recovered because he had to go wide for the ball, and scored
- 6 came through making a run into the box and receiving a (relatively) short pass from a teammate
- 2 came from dribbling in or around the box, and then shooting
- 1 each for penalty kick, capturing a loose ball and running into the box, receiving a pass and shooting from a distance and pouncing on loose ball in the box.

Arguably, only 6 of those goals involve active interaction with a teammate in near proximity as a key factor. But the other side of that coin is that he scored a lot of goals where he basically did most of the job himself.

As it is, he seems to me to offer a lot of value, with his ability to get into the positions where those goals can be scored (and his ability to make use of them too). But I agree he'd be a better player if he became more adept at working collectively. Apart from anything else, we already have too many other players who need to dance to their own tune to be fully effective.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Rashford and Shaw have had spells of fantastic link up play. It is not clicking for Rashford right now but he is always a threat against elite teams that play a high line. Greenwood is more technically gifted and I think he should be picked to play against teams that defend deep.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Well, he does score quite a lot of goals in that way. Sat through a video of all of his 20 goals last season:

- 7 of those came through runs in behind the opposition line where he beat the last defender to the ball and then beat the keeper with a direct shot.
- 1 further where he made a run in behind the line, dribbled defenders who recovered because he had to go wide for the ball, and scored
- 6 came through making a run into the box and receiving a (relatively) short pass from a teammate
- 2 came from dribbling in or around the box, and then shooting
- 1 each for penalty kick, capturing a loose ball and running into the box, receiving a pass and shooting from a distance and pouncing on loose ball in the box.

Arguably, only 6 of those goals involve active interaction with a teammate in near proximity as a key factor. But the other side of that coin is that he scored a lot of goals where he basically did most of the job himself.

As it is, he seems to me to offer a lot of value, with his ability to get into the positions where those goals can be scored (and his ability to make use of them too). But I agree he'd be a better player if he became more adept at working collectively. Apart from anything else, we already have too many other players who need to dance to their own tune to be fully effective.
Was he involved in the buildup or only made the run?

justsomebloke

Was he involved in the buildup or only made the run?
As far as I recall, generally only the run. Typically from outside the box to receive the ball at 10 meters or so, and shoot directly. Certainly nothing that could be described as a give-and-go. Again, as far as I recall.

Last edited:

SAF is the GOAT

Rashford and Shaw have had spells of fantastic link up play. It is not clicking for Rashford right now but he is always a threat against elite teams that play a high line. Greenwood is more technically gifted and I think he should be picked to play against teams that defend deep.
The problem with this kid is that when he gets the ball in the corners(right or left) he's so locked on shooting towards the goal that he doesn't see anything else, that's also why he's so predictable because everyone knows that he's going to shoot
(preferably on his left foot) block him. he needs to try other things.

I remember the game against Astana in OT when he did a dummy with his left foot, took the ball to his right, passed the defender and shot the ball thru the keeper's legs or maybe just try to search for other players like he did in Cavani's header against Spurs or recently against Young Boys with the cross to Juan Mata(I know Juan didn't score but Mason's dribble was beautiful). He has to be more of a team player and not so selfish.

-Supreme-

He isn't a striker anymore. He looks lost when playing up front, he can't hold up the ball, he can't head it. It's a complete waste of time.

As soon as we switched him and Bruno and put Rashford back to the left, suddenly he looked dangerous again. Hopefully Rangnick has noticed that and will considering swapping them around.
Rashford didn't look as bad after we've scored, it wasn't down to his positional switch but mainly due to Norwich needed to get a goal and have committed more players forward so it created more space for Rashford to counter and attack.

We should all know by now that he struggles against teams playing with low-block, hopefully Rangnick can improve this aspect of his game.

GueRed

Unsurprisingly has yet to get into the groove since his comeback.

Hopefully a run of games will help him back to peak sharpness...

Swiss_Red89

On both winning Team Training pictures.
He's obviously about to hit form. ;)
Merry Christmas anyone

SER19

A true disgrace. If he was born in Newcastle he wouldn't have got near United

Atheist

No doubt he’ll be given a new bumper 6 year contract for his masterful performance off the pitch. Because we’re more of a commercial PR machine rather than a football club.

Woodenlung

The only United player who actually looked likely to create a scoring opportunity through passing or running at a defender.

The agenda posters are already all over him I see though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Awful as per

I even had a few quid on him to score tonight because surely one has to drop for him and all that. Not if he doesn’t work it won’t.

commentators were going on about our players posturing. That’s all I’ve seen from him in the last 12 months. Hands on hips. Peripheral figure with main stage billing.

Last edited:

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
If he had to be 'played in to form' then it should be done in the reserves. Shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

El Jefe

Just like the last game incredibly shite first half but improved and was less shite when played in his actual position.

He's Theo Walcott with world class PR . His status in the team is truly baffling as he doesn't have anywhere near the required talent or ability to justify it.

Frank White

Not good enough but doesn't help when are whole team looked completely lost. Are 70 odd million generational talent literally could hardly complete a pass ffs.

El Zoido

Are we still not allowed to suggest his off the pitch commitments could be affecting him? I have huge respect for him with regards to his charity work, but it might be influencing his performances. His head doesn’t seem in football any more.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not good enough, I know he was probably the best of the 4 in the second half but they weren't good enough either.

Frank White

Are we still not allowed to suggest his off the pitch commitments could be affecting him? I have huge respect for him with regards to his charity work, but it might be influencing his performances. His head doesn’t seem in football any more.
Allowed? Sure but what's the excuse for the rest of the shite that played tonight? Greenwood didn't nothing, Ronaldo looked like he was playing against us and Sanchowas equally shite.

siw2007

1st half was very poor, 2nd half was much better, showed a few flickers of his old self coming in from the left when he was taking on players. Best of the attacking players tonight but I still want to see more pace, intensity and drive from him.

RedDevilQuebecois

Can I be blunt about him here? I think he should get the feck out of the club ASAP. He should get ditched out of the club forever because he's a prime example of a player focusing too much on extracurricular stuff at the expense of his primary job. If you don't perform on the pitch first and foremost, then everything else loses credibility. No one gives a flying feck about his charity work nor his MBE when he's not delivering in his primary job as a footballer; politicians are there to be pushed so they can push legislations that impact people.

Godfather

Second half he was better. First half was an absolute joke. No idea how it takes this long for a manager to realise he is absolutely useless from the right

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I think as with many United players, he is also badly overrated.

Not so long ago, there were topics here in which he was compared to Mbappe, with more than just a few posters suggesting he may have higher ceiling. Well look how that's turning out.

RedIan

Shocking first half, improved once he moved left… how come all the fans can see how bad he is on the right but the coaches can’t..

Status
Not open for further replies.