4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

gormless

To be honest his “brand” is too big to lose. Could you imagine if he somehow ran his contract down or was sold. I just don’t see anyway that can be done. United can’t afford to lose his “image” even if his football doesn’t match the abilities required.
Can see why they want to lock him down/keep him sorted with a bumper contract.
Of course we can. We sold Beckham in his prime who was actually a world class player as well as far bigger deal than Rashford. I know different times and all that, but brand doesn't help on the pitch. Other than a few nice words about Rashford personally, a bit of minor reflected glory does absolutely nothing for us, its not like he's a shirt selling machine (again I know we don't get shirt sales, but it translates to bigger sponsorship deals)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Of course we can. We sold Beckham in his prime who was actually a world class player as well as far bigger deal than Rashford. I know different times and all that, but brand doesn't help on the pitch. Other than a few nice words about Rashford personally, a bit of minor reflected glory does absolutely nothing for us, its not like he's a shirt selling machine (again I know we don't get shirt sales, but it translates to bigger sponsorship deals)
That was when we were a football club. :(

macheda14

It’s probably been said enough, but I do wonder how much of a toll it takes on a player to miss a penalty in an international final. It’s weird but Sancho, Shaw and Maguire have all also come back from the euros alll fecked

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s probably been said enough, but I do wonder how much of a toll it takes on a player to miss a penalty in an international final. It’s weird but Sancho, Shaw and Maguire have all also come back from the euros alll fecked
These are excuses you make to cover up a bigger problem. He’s completely stagnated as a footballer in the past 2 years with absolutely no progression demonstrated. You miss a penalty and sulk for a few weeks then kick on
Missing the penalty doesn’t explain why he’s been crap for 2 years

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
To be honest his “brand” is too big to lose. Could you imagine if he somehow ran his contract down or was sold. I just don’t see anyway that can be done. United can’t afford to lose his “image” even if his football doesn’t match the abilities required.
This line of thinking from the gowls in charge of the club has us in this position. Chasing stars and names and brands.

Feck his brand/image.

FattyFooty

I don't understand the mystic megs smugly saying he was always overhyped and acting like they knew something all along that no one else knew. Saying this is just his level, he was never good to begin with etc.

Are these people just pretending his goal involvements in 19/20 & 20/21 didn't happen?
In premier league he has 51 goals without penaltys. In allmost 200 games.

That is ok. But a United attacker needs more than that.

I like him as a person, i wish he had improved alot by now footballing vise.

hobbers

His brand/image is worthless if he cant back it up on the pitch.

Give it a year or two more at this level and his brand will be as irrelevant as Jlingz.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don't understand the mystic megs smugly saying he was always overhyped and acting like they knew something all along that no one else knew. Saying this is just his level, he was never good to begin with etc.

Are these people just pretending his goal involvements in 19/20 & 20/21 didn't happen?
No, we just realized they were papering over glaring deficiencies.

Robaldo

I think his problem is psychological at the moment. He had a terrible summer and then had surgery which will have left him feeling very overlooked. Since then, he's struggled for form.

Against Villa, he looked upset rather than disinterested. Probably more upset than he should have looked, granted, but I think it's really unfair to accuse him of not caring or trying.

OverratedOpinion

I think he needs to play with a bit more intensity. I don't think he is lazy, he seems like he is a bit nervous about stamping his authority on a game. I sometimes feel like we have a Robben type player who isn't trying to play like Berbatov.

The Firestarter

If that's the case we are no longer a football club but a PR agency.

Jackal981

And rewarding almost 2 years of shitstain performance with a bumper contract. What a club ! Cant be arsed when we finally see the back of him. His workrate and body language in the field are disgusting. He's on more money than the likes of Mane, Jota, Son and co too while displaying nothing

Nordmore

I think his problem is psychological at the moment. He had a terrible summer and then had surgery which will have left him feeling very overlooked. Since then, he's struggled for form.

Against Villa, he looked upset rather than disinterested. Probably more upset than he should have looked, granted, but I think it's really unfair to accuse him of not caring or trying.
Agreed.

If you look at his stats it's actually better or at least similar compared to our other forwards. Especially people keep calling him lazy but his defensive stats are actually very similar with Greenwood, Sancho. And miles better than Ronaldo. But imo something is seriously wrong with his head atm. Don't know what happens to the lad but he needs to sort that out asap.

L1nk

Going into PR overdrive now, none of it makes sense when you can clearly see he has no interest once on the pitch. His team are working hard to protect him

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Actually that's interesting when thinking about it.

Apparently he lacks commitment after playing more than half a season through injury.

Interesting what's going on in his mind.

Baxter

Going into PR overdrive now, none of it makes sense when you can clearly see he has no interest once on the pitch. His team are working hard to protect him
I find it hard to believe people actually think he doesn’t care or doesn’t try. His body language is awful at the moment but I’m almost certain that the sports scientists would pick up if he’s half arsing it on the pitch. There’s been a bit of a pile on him recently and that’s not going to help either, so I’m not too surprised if his agency want to help him out in the press.

Regarding his performances, I’m willing to cut him a bit of slack as there is virtually nobody performing to anywhere near their level. The defenders’ form seemed to be the issue under Ole, but I’ve not seen the forwards look so disjointed and out of form as a group in ages. The fact it’s not just one or two, suggests a wider issue in my opinion.

Foxbatt

If only Martial and DVB had half a PR team they would be made Captain and V Captain.

acnumber9

These are excuses you make to cover up a bigger problem. He’s completely stagnated as a footballer in the past 2 years with absolutely no progression demonstrated. You miss a penalty and sulk for a few weeks then kick on
Missing the penalty doesn’t explain why he’s been crap for 2 years
I do wonder if something happened two years ago that could be a reason. Breaking your back or something. He definitely shouldn’t be playing in his current state because matters are only getting worse for him. He clearly doesn’t seem right and we may never know why that is.

RepardReece

I find it hard to believe people actually think he doesn’t care or doesn’t try. His body language is awful at the moment but I’m almost certain that the sports scientists would pick up if he’s half arsing it on the pitch. There’s been a bit of a pile on him recently and that’s not going to help either, so I’m not too surprised if his agency want to help him out in the press.

Regarding his performances, I’m willing to cut him a bit of slack as there is virtually nobody performing to anywhere near their level. The defenders’ form seemed to be the issue under Ole, but I’ve not seen the forwards look so disjointed and out of form as a group in ages. The fact it’s not just one or two, suggests a wider issue in my opinion.
That's a nice defense of him and all, but we all have eyes and can see his effort levels or lack of.

romufc

This is only an excuse used by United fans.

Saka who got the same if not more abuse is loving it at the moment at Arsenal playing well.
Foden is having his best season
Walker, Rice, Mount are all doing well for their clubs too.

We need to stop finding reasons as to why our players are performing badly and look at their their abilities.

Shaw has always had a motivation problem, he cannot motivate himself to play football which is a worry.
Maguire, I don't think can hack the pressure of being a United captain.
Rashford, needs to work on himself and find a way to get back into form.

Born2Lose

Any dressing room leaks from this journalist in the future and we'll know who the source is.

Foxbatt

Sorry. Now I understand what is happening with Rashford on the pitch. He is having too many training sessions that by match day he is dead on his feet and can't make an effort even to get to a rebound.

OL29

I do wonder if something happened two years ago that could be a reason. Breaking your back or something. He definitely shouldn’t be playing in his current state because matters are only getting worse for him. He clearly doesn’t seem right and we may never know why that is.
The thing is, unless I'm mistaken, he actually had a period last season where he was playing as well as he played the previous season. He was scoring goals, important goals at that, his dribbling looked as electric as ever and he was providing plenty of assists. It all seemed to go downhill around this time last year I think. IMO, Ole playing him week in week out whilst carrying an ankle and shoulder injury is what's done the most damage. On top of fatigue, his confidence hit rock bottom, which culminated in the Euros which were a nightmare for him personally, and from which he's never seemed to recover from.

Patchbeard

His only great season was 19/20 though, his G/A per min in 20/21 were actually almost exactly the same as they were in 18/19 & 17/18 (every ~150 mins):
20/21 - 2928 mins, 11 goals, 9 assists = every 146 mins
19/20 - 2655 mins, 17 goals, 7 assists = every 110 mins
18/19 - 2345 mins, 10 goals, 6 assists = every 146 mins
17/18 - 1810 mins, 7 goals, 5 assists = every 150 mins
16/17 - 862 mins, 5 goals, 2 assists = every 123 mins

I'm sure I'm one of many of us who was truly excited at the end of 19/20 about his (and Martials) improved consistency, but then 20/21 he was back to his previous level (whilst Martial fell off a cliff :(), which isn't really that good, and is so frustrating to watch.

Smores

That's a nice defense of him and all, but we all have eyes and can see his effort levels or lack of.
Never mind the eye test we've several seasons worth of stats to know his effort isn't good enough. In his most prolific season he only just ran more than Lukaku for instance.

For all we know Ole told him to save his legs for the counter sprints but that's not how we're playing anymore so he needs to put a shirt in.

I'm glad to read he is focusing on conditioning if that is true as he obviously needs it. He looked fecked after about 30mins against Villa.

acnumber9

The thing is, unless I'm mistaken, he actually had a period last season where he was playing as well as he played the previous season. He was scoring goals, important goals at that, his dribbling looked as electric as ever and he was providing plenty of assists. It all seemed to go downhill around this time last year I think. IMO, Ole playing him week in week out whilst carrying an ankle and shoulder injury is what's done the most damage. On top of fatigue, his confidence hit rock bottom, which culminated in the Euros which were a nightmare for him personally, and from which he's never seemed to recover from.
I wouldn’t say he was quite as good but he was still effective regardless. I doubt there’s any one thing that’s causing his current issues. He has went through a lot injury wise the last two years, coupled with being overplayed, the Euros, the off field stuff and the fact that the last two years for the world in general have been depressing as hell.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rangnick told the MEN: “Actually I don’t know. He’s trying hard, he’s in training, he was doing really well in the last couple of days, that’s why he was quite rightly in the starting XI.

Looks like Rangnick is part of the PR team too tbh.

Foxbatt

His PR should just simply shut up. It is making it worse. Do they think we are fools? Yes there are obviously fools who will accept it but most sensible people would not after seeing what he does on the pitch.
It is one thing to make an effort and it does not come off but another to be arsed about playing match after match. Cavani rarely scores but no one accuses him of being arsed about it. Because he puts an effort every time he plays.

Foxbatt

Rangnick told the MEN: “Actually I don’t know. He’s trying hard, he’s in training, he was doing really well in the last couple of days, that’s why he was quite rightly in the starting XI.

Looks like Rangnick is part of the PR team too tbh.
Fletcher could be influencing him?

Status
Not open for further replies.