Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That’s a F U to all the ‘fans’ that didn’t believe in his injury causing him bad form.

Moomalade74

I don't understand how this shoulder issue was allowed to fester and potentially be aggravated by continuous football through the season. It's very frsutrating that we've wasted a month of recovery time from Rashford's (non)participation in the Euros. I appreciate his passion for his country, but I'd love to hear the logic behind the decision to go to the Euros taking everything into consideration.

always_hoping

Didn't need hindsight to know that he was never going to have a positive impact for England at the euros, what was he doing on the England squad when clearly hampered by injury? Surely the sensible thing to do was get that surgery work done long before his season with United finished.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
A lot easier said than done though. England always had a fighting chance of winning the Euros and he wanted to be part of it given he helped contribute to them getting there. The semi finals and final even taking place at Wembley. Can't blame the lad at all for wanting to go. Anyone else would in his position.

Foxbatt

It's not on Rashford. It's on Ole and then Southgate. Obviously Ole felt that he has to let him play for England because he played him under the same circumstances for United.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't understand how this shoulder issue was allowed to fester and potentially be aggravated by continuous football through the season. It's very frsutrating that we've wasted a month of recovery time from Rashford's (non)participation in the Euros. I appreciate his passion for his country, but I'd love to hear the logic behind the decision to go to the Euros taking everything into consideration.
The chance to participate in and win a trophy with your national team is pretty much the pinnacle of every players career. They and anyone really would sacrifice loads for that chance. Club seasons are endless, missing the start isn't a huge deal considering how many games they play these days... i'd have done the same in his shoes.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's likely that the shoulder issue isn't something that will be made drastically worse by delaying/avoiding surgery and continuing to play if the person can manage it. As I've mentioned earlier and in other threads it is extremely uncomfortable and needs either rest or surgery to resolve.

Once he has surgery he'll need to keep it relatively immobile for a bit and that means he'll need a little bit of rehab and strength building and conditioning before he comes back to full fitness. Those things take time and that's why the 12 week layoff is speculated.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
It's not on Rashford. It's on Ole and then Southgate. Obviously Ole felt that he has to let him play for England because he played him under the same circumstances for United.
Yes. Southgate isn't the sharpest tbf but Ole should know better.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
So latest is that no decision has been made regarding a surgery. So United are seriously considering dropping it and let him play from the start of the season. This means that either United/Rashford are about to make a horrible decision or the injury is not that serious.

MattofManchester

So latest is that no decision has been made regarding a surgery. So United are seriously considering dropping it and let him play from the start of the season. This means that either United/Rashford are about to make a horrible decision or the injury is not that serious.
If I recall, he's got both an ankle issue and a shoulder issue.

However, we don't know anything.
He's on holiday at the moment. We'll know in 2 weeks perhaps.

Ralph1386

That’s a F U to all the ‘fans’ that didn’t believe in his injury causing him bad form.
It’s also an F U to the coaching staff who kept running him to the ground despite his injury, and to the people in the club who are considering bringing him back to start the season with no surgery.

RedStarUnited

I mean, you wouldn't think a player that needs surgery would play 120 minutes of the very last game of the season, would you?

Bebestation

I mean, you wouldn't think a player that needs surgery would play 120 minutes of the very last game of the season, would you?
Since something like an injury to a shoulder is going to cause things like a poor balance or physical competition more often rather than a poor shoot off the foot then I can see why he stuck by it when our next LW was James etc and not Martial. Let's see if what he and Ole did was the right or wrong choice - all i know is that some people said he was not injured because he was playing which was rubbish.

stw2022

I don’t think anyone thought he wasn’t playing with some kind of issue but the severity of it was always in doubt.

Stripping everything else away it’s a problem that medical staff at United and England (based on assumption he was taken to Euros to be used if manager decided) didn’t think was severe enough to warrant him sitting out games and the current status of the planned surgery is entirely optional with no decision made as to whether he’ll even have it, months after apparently it manifest itself as so severe to be attributed as the reason his form went to shite about 8 months ago.

Can’t blame people for thinking that’s a bit odd. The club don’t appear to be pushing for surgery given the ‘it’s up to him’ status. Surely if it was urgent the scheduling would be driven by the club wanting to get player fit. I understand why he would postpone to go to Euros but I did expect some kind of timetable laid out after.

I can’t totally dismiss idea that the idea of having surgery has become some kind of crutch and defence mechanism against criticism for bad form and what he actually has is niggling injury that the club are willing to let him have surgery on if he wants it but medical/coaching staff don’t appear to think he necessarily needs it

Last edited:

Bebestation

I don’t think anyone thought he wasn’t playing with some kind of issue but the severity of it was always in doubt.

Stripping everything else away it’s a problem that medical staff at United and England (based on assumption he was taken to Euros to be used if manager decided) didn’t think was severe enough to warrant him sitting out games and the current status of the planned surgery is entirely optional with no decision made as to whether he’ll even have it, months after apparently it manifest itself as so severe to be attributed as the reason his form went to shite about 8 months ago.

Can’t blame people for thinking that’s a bit odd.

His injury was affecting his upper torso and not his lower torso so it can be easily seen why he can play football but to a lower consistent level.

Theres not much odd in it.

Rashford was off form post his injury but was a better player on the left wing than Martial and James last season. I'd say only Pogba was better as a LM.

Soon as Sancho joins us he goes and gets a surgery.

stw2022

The two times we’ve heard about the need for surgery have been both after lost European finals and appear to have emanated from (“sources close to”) the player and both times in direct response to a barrage of criticism of his performances/contributions in both games. After the England game it was as if they had the operating theatre booked and surgery would be imminent. Few days later it’s downgraded to point where it still seems undecided if he even needs it.

Player gets injured, medical staff agree treatment plan. Even if you postpone it until after Euros, for it to still be seemingly undecided what treatment he’ll need or have months and months later then either we have the worst medical team in football or something else doesn’t add up.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Still don't think him missing one on one's are balance or shoulder issues (or not playing on easy balls to Cavani) but that's just my opinion and I can be wrong and I sure as hell hope I'm wrong. He is also reflecting on whether or not he needs the surgery which makes this news even more confusing to me.

bosnian_red

"Marcus Rashford becomes the UK person who has donated the most money in 2020 by donating 125% of his wealth".
Imagine not liking Rashford.

stw2022

Esther Ranzen does a lot for charity too but I wouldn’t necessarily start her ahead of Greenwood or Sancho either

jem

Esther Ranzen does a lot for charity too but I wouldn’t necessarily start her ahead of Greenwood or Sancho either
Right, because it’s not like Rashford has had back to back 20-goal seasons or anything…

CG1010

Saw on reddit that he was most productive under 23 player in terms of goal contributions (G+A) in the premier league last season.

This is when he had an underwhelming season.

He had an injury for a large part.

His potential is criminally underrated here. If he was playing at Dortmund and Sancho was here, some here would be all gaga over the new Rashford signing, which will consign overrated Sancho to the bench and burst his bubble.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Saw on reddit that he was most productive under 23 player in terms of goal contributions (G+A) in the premier league last season.

This is when he had an underwhelming season.

He had an injury for a large part.

His potential is criminally underrated here. If he was playing at Dortmund and Sancho was here, some here would be all gaga over the new Rashford signing, which will consign overrated Sancho to the bench and burst his bubble.
I think even in top 5 leagues, only Haaland and Mbappe had more goal contributions than Rashford (Players who are younger than Rashford)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Then how much he does for charity is irrelevant, isn’t it?
His charity work doesn't get him in the team. His goal contributions do.

21 goals and 11 assists playing injured just sums up how little Rashford haters know about football.

Rashford is our second best attacking player after Bruno.

Moomalade74

Rashford's stats speak for themselves, though they are not the full picture. RVN had amazing stats but in 2006-7 Fergie understood the future of team revolved around a fluid front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Saha (prompting that famous Guardian quote - "where are the goals going to come from?")
RVN didn't start the League Cup final and that was the end of it for him here.
The issue for me is that Rashford has shown himself to be able to hit tremendous heights, worthy of potential world class status, but then regularly shows a real selfish streak when off form, as if he's trying to force things to happen. This occurs at the detriment to the attacking dynamic of the team as a whole and is maddening to watch.
If another configuration emerges that is fluid and dynamic without him, unless his form improves his goal contributions will be redistributed elsewhere and he'll find himself on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippy

bosnian_red

No but he starts because of his impact on the pitch. It's nice to have an absolute gem of a person as the poster boy of the club though, rather than some of the questionable people we've had in the past. One of the most productive young players in the world who uses his position to achieve great things off the pitch too, who happens to be a boyhood United fan. Luckily he'll be here for a long, long time on that left wing :drool: (and the really weird saltiness from some of his haters that will exist the whole time is a bit of a bonus tbh).

bosnian_red

What will be the excuse if his form is still shit after the surgery?
Why does he need an excuse? If he loses form as all non Ronaldo or Messi players do, he'll be benched/rotated out occasionally now that we have options. If everyone else is injured but he's playing through injury to stay on the pitch, then I'll refuse to criticize him as at least he's there (and still getting 20 goal seasons) while everyone else is constantly out. Pretty simple.

bosnian_red

his form went to shite about 8 months ago.
That would be because the footballing calendar was fecked up this past season with never any mid week rests, with players like Bruno also getting criticized for losing form despite a lack of understanding that they played more football than anyone and it's impossible to remain in good form without game management. Except the schedule didn't allow for it. It was an impossible schedule that saw a huge increase of injuries across football, except the players that always made themselves available got shat on because their form suffered (and people ignored that if they weren't available, the team would be fecked because others missed so much football). That's why for me, Bruno and Rashford are above criticism last season. Without them, we'd be fecked. They played a ridiculous schedule, literally nobody in world football maintained good consistent form all season without having forced injury breaks to get freshness back, and without them, we'd have pretty much no options pretty often.

bosnian_red

Do people still think he’s writing these tweets himself? :lol:
Why not? Are you one of those that thinks every footballer is an idiot and they aren't allowed to be coherent and intelligent humans? Obviously everyone has PR companies do some tweets, they write their own sometimes, but Rashford himself is very well spoken so I'm not sure what's funny here.

Mihai

Threads off to a great start.

Mentally and physically Rashford will need to rebuild and recuperate. He's moving away from young player to mid 20s and an expectation of consistency comes with it.

With Sancho in the team it could lessen the burden for him but others need to step up too.

For Rashford he needs to work on his decision making, when to pass the ball and when to go for it.
Agree with everything. I think it's especially important that Ole gives him all the time he needs to recuperate and doesn't rush back.

CG1010

Rashford's stats speak for themselves, though they are not the full picture. RVN had amazing stats but in 2006-7 Fergie understood the future of team revolved around a fluid front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Saha (prompting that famous Guardian quote - "where are the goals going to come from?")
RVN didn't start the League Cup final and that was the end of it for him here.
The issue for me is that Rashford has shown himself to be able to hit tremendous heights, worthy of potential world class status, but then regularly shows a real selfish streak when off form, as if he's trying to force things to happen. This occurs at the detriment to the attacking dynamic of the team as a whole and is maddening to watch.
If another configuration emerges that is fluid and dynamic without him, unless his form improves his goal contributions will be redistributed elsewhere and he'll find himself on the bench.
Basically problem is Rashford has been off-form (perhaps due to injury and otherwise) and once he is back he needs to find form quickly. Else nobody he is irreplaceable in the team.

But your comparison with RVN didn't land for me. Issue was RVP's playing style was not compatible with Ronaldo and Rooney (even that assumption I think we can probably revisit given what we have seen of their careers). Rashford's playing is not just compatible but crucial for our playing style. He is one of the few players who runs behind the opposition defence and has quality to hurt them on quick transitions. All others, (Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba on LW and most likely Sancho to some extent) prefer playing in front of the defence. Rashford on song makes our team unplayable as has been demonstrated several times. He combines very well with Shaw, Martial, Bruno already.

jem

Then how much he does for charity is irrelevant, isn’t it?
Is anybody actually arguing that his charity work means he should be a starter? Or did you just make that up to bolster some weird agenda you have?

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
Is anybody actually arguing that his charity work means he should be a starter? Or did you just make that up to bolster some weird agenda you have?

My feeling is the political/charity activity may be distracting him at least a bit from the football side where to be most effective you need to be 100% focused.
The shoulder issue may or may not be relevant to his relative drop off in form towards the back end if last season but the mental energy and commitment put into his campaigning is bound to have an effect on his pitch performance.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Injury - may or may not negatively impact athletic performance.
Charity work - definitely impacts his athletic performance negatively.

No, there's no agenda against Rashford at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.