4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

8thWonder

Quite the opposite, it's because of his charity work that few people question as they would with another player why an injury was so severe to turn his form to garbage in the second half of the season yet never severe for him to sit out game time or indeed severe enough that even now it's not even sure if it's even bad enough to require surgery.

The charity work only gets brought up as a distraction from talking about how he's been abysmal since Christmas. His charity work may not be a distraction for him but it's a complete distraction from talking about his form and performances which has been awful in this calendar year.
"Didn't play well again, but does a lot for the kids". Maybe Marital should open up a cat's home and suddenly anyone suggesting he's not very good will also be accused of a 'witch hunt'.

Maybe that was Taibi's problem, didn't sit in a bath of beans for comic relief.

He's a footballer. His charity work is great but all those accusing others of a witch hunt hide behind it to distract from how he started playing like a raffle winner after christmas. I mean christ 20 years ago everyone was up in arms about the 'distractions' of Beckham which were - having a wife and wearing clothing. This isn't unique.
I genuinely think Rashford is a great litmus test for fans who are either positive or negative, who enjoy watching football or who just enjoy the goals and the feeling of winning and by extension find it a pretty stressful experience.

We all know the type of person who moans throughout the game. Doesn't even have to be football, could be any sport but it's constant moaning and it's normally the guy sat right behind you.

I'll admit it, I'm 100% in the 'cult', I genuinely think the lad is a phenomenal footballer who opposition teams fear. His pace, ability to beat players, goal threat and link up can cause any team across Europe issues. His record against the very best teams is fantastic and as others have said before he is incredibly productive for his age.

His form since Christmas has been poor, but here is the crux for me, by his standards, that's why it's an outlier and not excuses made for him left right and centre as a lot of people in here are suggesting. If he's provably getting better year in year out and then the productivity slows completely, that would suggest that something is hindering him, not an oppurtunity to call him overrated and a raffle winner, because that's obviously absolute nonsense.

Look around, is he Ronaldo? Nope, will he ever be? Nope. But he can absolutely be alongside, Mane, Mahrez, Coman, Sterling Etc, i.e other productive, wide forwards at top clubs (who are all 3-6 years older). My advice for a happier life when watching football, enjoy him turning Ben White inside out twice and putting the ball in the net against Brighton, rather than as quite a few said at the time, 'almost cocked it up by holding onto it for too long'... Life's too short to keep picking up negatives.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People only pretend this is exclusively a performance thread when it suits them.
No it doesn’t. But certainly cult like behaviour from a lot of the people in there that can’t be objective at all.
Dunno how many times this has to be said but both "sides" are as bad as each other, there's little objectivity anywhere, same with the "Ole in/out" crowd, Lindelof being a great player/being a not so great player and so on.

jem

I’m guessing his point was why is that being posted in the performance thread when it has nothing to do with his performances playing football.
Without having forensically researched it, I'd guess that his charitable work is brought up as much by his detractors in the performance thread as it is by his supporters (who, from what I've seen, will point to his various injuries and overuse as reasons for his performance problems.)

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I was talking about TOP players.

Ronaldo, Beckham, Mbappe, Messi....etc

Not saying these guys are great role models but their performance levels are way above those of the players you mention and none to my knowledge were very actively involved in political campaigning and all were very focused on the football side.
What are you on about?

Megan Rapinoe ex World player of the year,

Drogba one of the best strikers in the world for years,

Raheem Sterling top scorer for his country at the latest international tournament.

I'm sure all Ronaldo and Mbappe do is train and play football, can't imagine they'd have any interests outside football like sponsorship deals, adverts and modeling shoots to pose in, parties and events to go too, basketball games to attend to take their focus off football...

jem

People only pretend this is exclusively a performance thread when it suits them.

Dunno how many times this has to be said but both "sides" are as bad as each other, there's little objectivity anywhere, same with the "Ole in/out" crowd, Lindelof being a great player/being a not so great player and so on.
I can only speak for myself: I adore Rashford the person, and I like the player. That being said, I find him extremely frustrating at times. I definitely think he is an asset to the team, but I see no reason why his place in the starting 11 should be guaranteed. I love the idea of Rashford and Martial battling it out for the left-sided forward position.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I can only speak for myself: I adore Rashford the person, and I like the player. That being said, I find him extremely frustrating at times. I definitely think he is an asset to the team, but I see no reason why his place in the starting 11 should be guaranteed. I love the idea of Rashford and Martial battling it out for the left-sided forward position.
Funnily enough I hold the exact same view, I think Rashford can be brilliant but feck me is he frustrating :lol:

Posh Red

Funnily enough I hold the exact same view, I think Rashford can be brilliant but feck me is he frustrating :lol:
He definitely is frustrating but there’s no reason why he can’t improve in that regard moving forward. Looking at his output now, the potential upside for him could be huge. I think there can be exciting times ahead for him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Rashford's injuries are definitely hampering him, remember when he got tackled very early in the season, fell on his shoulder and screamed like a Banshee? I think he needs surgery and a lot of rest. I also don't think it helps that in sports it's seen as a badge of honour to play through bad injuries. Rashford had good numbers last season but towards the end of it (you could argue as he got more tired and the injuries got worse) even those took a nose dive.

Regarding his charity work, I'm a big supporter and couldn't be prouder that one of ours in making a real difference in the lives of real people around me. When last could a footballer or any sportsman in the UK say that?

However, as someone who gets involved in a fair bit of charity myself (nowhere near the influence of Rashford of course), you can't categorically say whether or not it influences his performances at all one way or another, let's be honest. Depends on how hands-on he is with the day-to-day and how emotionally invested he is. It can become a huge part of one's thoughts as you could be thinking of ways you can make more of an impact all the time - including night time. So I do think it's harsh to jump on anyone that suggests it could be a factor.

All that said: it could just as likely affect his performances positively as it could affect them the other way.

Take players who become parents for instance (Luke Shaw a case in point), there is no greater distraction in life as I'm sure most parents know! :lol: Often times though, it gives them purpose, a sense of responsibility, makes them more mature, and therefore better players.

Charity work could be a very similar motivator I reckon. And even if it impacts negatively, do I want Rashford to stop? No - he's already a very good player, and I'd take him effecting real change in the lives of families over the joy I'd take in him reaching the highest echelons of football.
Ideally though, I'd take both.
A very nicely balanced post lost in the middle of pages containing a lot, lot of nonsense.

jem

He definitely is frustrating but there’s no reason why he can’t improve in that regard moving forward. Looking at his output now, the potential upside for him could be huge. I think there can be exciting times ahead for him.
Definitely. I watched a Youtube video of all United's goals last year, and Rashford's involvement was pretty damn significant!

jem

What are you on about?

Megan Rapinoe ex World player of the year,

Drogba one of the best strikers in the world for years,

Raheem Sterling top scorer for his country at the latest international tournament.

I'm sure all Ronaldo and Mbappe do is train and play football, can't imagine they'd have any interests outside football like sponsorship deals, adverts and modeling shoots to pose in, parties and events to go too, basketball games to attend to take their focus off football...
Exactly. You can also add the Brazilian great Socrates to that list.

Fahad Jawaid

Is he getting his surgery done or not. There has been no new reports regarding his surgery. I hope for his and Manutd sake, he gets his surgery done and get proper rest and come back fit and roaring.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Even playing with very obvious injuries he was our second biggest threat by far last season. Says it all.

A fit Rashford is a truly scary proposition. Hope he gets till October to rest up. I'd rather have him for the last 7 months of the season.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Is he getting his surgery done or not. There has been no new reports regarding his surgery. I hope for his and Manutd sake, he gets his surgery done and get proper rest and come back fit and roaring.
It seems like it will be decided today. Bit annoyed that he didn't get it done just after the Euros. Would have been back by September in that case.

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
It seems like it will be decided today. Bit annoyed that he didn't get it done just after the Euros. Would have been back by September in that case.
I think he’s been incredibly selfish, almost treating his employers with contempt. He should never have gone to the Euros but had the surgery instead. Would have been back for the start of the season then. It’s not like the squad would have missed him sat on the bench. It is also not like he’s 33/34 years old and it was his last chance for England.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think he’s been incredibly selfish, almost treating his employers with contempt. He should never have gone to the Euros but had the surgery instead. Would have been back for the start of the season then. It’s not like the squad would have missed him sat on the bench. It is also not like he’s 33/34 years old and it was his last chance for England.
calm down dear

oh and this was England's first final for what? 55 years? It might well of been his last chance with England

Red Royal

Confirmed today, he'll be out for three months.
Really weird to wait the last 3 weeks (surely there were doctors available who could do any day).
I think Elanga is the one to fit into his void, though Martial will be given first chance.

lex talionis

We can deal with it. Sancho and Cavani have to come out of the gates fast and Pogba better be "up for it" to start the season.

tjb

I was talking about TOP players.

Ronaldo, Beckham, Mbappe, Messi....etc

Not saying these guys are great role models but their performance levels are way above those of the players you mention and none to my knowledge were very actively involved in political campaigning and all were very focused on the football side.
Henry

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It's good that atleast decision was made..hope he recovers quickly and then come back by October. We will need him this season if we want to win anything

Winrar

He's been poor for a while, and definitely needs a break from playing through injury and dealing with all the drama around him.

It's easier to say this than to truly believe it, but I have faith that he can overcome personal and professional challenges ahead, just like Shaw overcame his. Out of all the things I got wrong football-wise, please god I hope this isn't it.

dalriada

Really weird to wait the last 3 weeks (surely there were doctors available who could do any day).
I think Elanga is the one to fit into his void, though Martial will be given first chance.
Well, it has to be a decision between him and the medical people, so I trust him to do what's best for his health. At least we have good cover in that part of the pitch.

Reddevildans

Not his biggest fan but I hope he comes back fully fit and firing. He's been off for 8 months and maybe this injury was really hampering him. We've got cover for him which is crucial.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As someone not from England, I don’t understand. What is all this fuss?? Why does a normal footballer like Rashford have so much spotlight? Why does he always seem to be centre of conversation??

Why is he always writing these long soppy posts?

I can’t quite figure out if it’s a him problem or people around him or purely British people boredom looking for a soap opera regarding a footballer

8thWonder

The Athletic are going big with Stats and I think have teamed up with quite a few stats companies and they are discussing what they think the next big/common metric will be.

They talk about exected threat (xT).

Interesting that even despite a relatively low key year, in a few stats for last season he features quite heavily;

He is Top 20 in Ball progressors in the league (Includes Passing and Carries)
Top 10 Ball Carriers in the league
Top 10 most High Threat actions (Open play high value progressive actions)

Lies, damn lies and statistics etc but still. He's still so important for how this team plays. Think he can really go up a notch or two when he gets back.

Big year for him incoming imo.

Front three of any out of Rashford, Cavani, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial is very good and up there with the very best imo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I missed him today.

Has that no nonsense attitude when at his best which leads to 2 players having to focus on what he does with the ball at his feet.

shoegazing

Jeez, we miss him. We were clearly lacking his directness and the ability has to draw defenders out of position. You just get the feeling he could score against the run of play.

JoaquinJoaquin

Hoping this rest time will do him the world of good, as he was certainly starting to go backwards in terms of his development last season.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Rashford back will create a headache regarding LW. No way we are putting Pogba on the bench and he doesnt fit in a pivot with Fred or Mctominay. He have to play further forward in a pivot with Bruno and a holding midfielder behind, or where he plays now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
One thing I'm worried about his back problem.

Van Persie said it really effected him & he was never the fastest either.

Hopefully Rashford maintains that speed and directness.

A 20 goal a season player that we will/have miss.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Nobody else worried he’s rushing it a bit again?

Status
Not open for further replies.