4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

I'm convinced he's fecked physically, like permanently.

Early onset Sturridge-itis.
I don’t know, I feel like he went down a path in what he thought was the right way to take his game in its development, which it wasn’t. Combined with we haven’t had a manager to correct him or point him in the right direction and now he is getting frustrated that he isn’t where he wants to be or the path he chose isn’t working out.
I mean he just keeps repeating the same mistakes then occasionally a shining light moment. I’m convinced there is a player there but feel like he needs a lot of work and rehab on his mentality.

90% of his issue is the footballing decisions he makes on the pitch. I really hope that Ragnick can get through to him and start the process of repairing Rashford but for me this has nothing to do with burnout or injuries and just him and him developing his game poorly.

3vra

I do not see football player in him anymore… he lacks football iq he is lazy he does not have that fire in the eye that want to show he deserves place in that team, he acts like he is a star and should have guarantee to be in first 11.
With Sancho, Greenwood and Amad i am pretty sure in 2 years Rashford will be 4th choice here or will be sold or even finish his career. He looks like someone who does not want to be here. I am pretty sure he is not gonna make England’s WC squad next year and maybe that would be the kick in the nuts he needs. Without Ole i hope that we wont be playing same players even after horrible games week in week out, and Rashford and McT wont make our first 11 very often just because are Home grown.

Robindinho

Everything he does seems like it's too much effort for him - as though he doesn't even want to be there. Ronaldo put him to shame tonight (as does Cavani).

He better pull his finger out if he wants to stay in the team as Ralf won't stand for his half arsed jogging around the pitch.

I'd rather see Amad get a chance.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Got an assist but otherwise an awful performance. Makes poor choices again and again.
Said this before, his decision making is worse than championship level players. Injury is not an excuse neither is age. Needs benching.

And someone needs to get this 'shoot on sight' mentality out of him.

OL29

He looks well out of sorts and has done for a while but I don’t buy the poor attitude stuff. I don’t with Martial either to be fair.

redinseven

His football ability/IQ certainly cannot match his ego, he took his No10 shirt for granted. Rarely saw him bother to lower his body and close the gap when we were in defensive positions.

Need someone to correct his mentality and attitude

Valencia Shin Crosses

He needs games. He’s been out injured a long time and obviously will take a while to get going again. Nice assist today. Overall performance not good.
He’s been back for well over a month at this point at had plenty of games. This isn’t him being rusty with his finishing or his touch, it’s a complete waste of a player that isn’t taking anyone on and isn’t creating nor getting into great positions to score. He’s just kind of there, and even then not doing much running when we aren’t on the ball.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He seems to dislike playing football right now. It's really weird. There's no joy in his game.

Not 2 years ago he was potentially - along with Mbappe - the most valuable young player in world football. He still has the pace, still has skills, but it's all gone away. I don't understand to be honest. I know it happens, but he seemed like a guarantee.

lex talionis

Questions as to whether Rashford is deteriorating into another wasted talent are not out of order. There’s still a phenomenal footballer inside of him, but he’s taken huge steps backward this season and again today. But he got an assist today. Let’s hope Ralf can snap Marcus out of this extended funk.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I can understand if things aren't happening on the ball but he is so lazy with his runs during attacking and defensive transitions. It is shocking at times. He used to work so hard.

RedCurry

I'm convinced he's fecked physically, like permanently.

Early onset Sturridge-itis.
He was available for every game apart from the surgery period. He even played with multiple injuries last season. He’s not the type to spend his career on the treatment table like Sturridge. I have had the same back injury as him and it is sometimes as much about mental recovery from it as physical. Mentally you don’t want to push a 100% because you’re afraid of getting injured again. We saw that when Shaw returned from his fractured leg. Only Rashford himself can fix this but I back him to come good.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I blame Ole. Yes, yes, what a surprise.
But, under Solskjaer he became like this. Under Lvg and Jose he played simple and direct football with amazing work rate.

But i am not worried. Ragnick will put him back on track

downunder red

His confidence seems shattered at the moment. With his injuries he has had, getting over played last year while being injured and the mental pressure of his charitable work, missing out on a preseason his head and body are definitely in the wrong place. To me, this is one of many jobs Rangnick has before him. I'm going to be intrigued to see how it goes. There is nothing better when you see Rashford flying at defenders.

Idxomer

I blame Ole. Yes, yes, what a surprise.
But, under Solskjaer he became like this. Under Lvg and Jose he played simple and direct football with amazing work rate.

But i am not worried. Ragnick will put him back on track
The problems with his effort were there since the Mourinho days, I really don't think he ever had an amazing work rate.

Banana Republic

A lot of his flaws and poor decision making were clearly evident in his first few seasons in the 1st team, but were overlooked because of his goal scoring and more impressive work.
He was terrible at the tail end of the COVID broken 2019/20 season, after chalking up 17 league goals.
Last season he was consistently one of our worst performers, post match getting rated worst player on the Caf, more than any other player.
There is no great player hidden in there. We’ve seen the best he has to offer and that‘s all there is.

Ally McCoist mentioned Rashford’s poor body language, more than once during last night’s commentary (Prime).
He also said that with his performances and attitude, he could be the first one out the door, under Ralf.

Last edited:

SirSean

What.. Happened to him? I cannot for the life of me figure out why he is such a shadow of his former passionated self?

Sylar

So he can't put in the effort that Ronaldo does, Cavani, or run around like Bruno? Even Sancho is doing work off the ball that Marcus hasn't been doing for far too long.

It's time to hold the player accountable and realize he's not pulling his weight for the team. He's not injured, he's not crocked. For one thing, his technical ability is below Ronaldo, Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood, and Martial. He can strike a dead ball nicely, but no left foot to speak of. He has to look into the mirror and be honest with himself. Is he giving it a proper go when he wears the shirt or is he holding himself back for whatever reason?
As I said I won't make excuses for him for not trying.
It looks like football is a strain for him and he's not enjoying it. Dunno, he maybe needs time out.

Remember when we first got Ronaldo and Fergie would give him time off around Xmas ? Maybe we need to do that for Rashford or something similar

Foxbatt

Look at James. He is not half as talented as Rashford and his decision making is very poor but he gives all and tries non stop. Rashford does not even bother to make an attempt when the opposing player is two feet off him with the ball. I cannot understand how anyone can defend him when he is not bothered even to make an attempt to try to make an effort.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As I said I won't make excuses for him for not trying.
It looks like football is a strain for him and he's not enjoying it. Dunno, he maybe needs time out.

Remember when we first got Ronaldo and Fergie would give him time off around Xmas ? Maybe we need to do that for Rashford or something similar
Rashford has had a lot of time off already. Ronaldo earned that by being excellent on the pitch. Privileges have to be earned

lenny_1248

Some criticism here can be over the top, but I have to agree - Rashy does bother me.
He should work harder. Smth is just not right with him - his general play, his body language.
Sancho and Bruno were sprinting back at one moment while he was just jogging.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His body language was horrible throughout. I’ve seen more desire from Pogba.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
At some point Ole put him as our furthest player up front with little to no defensive responsibility — to chase those quick long balls forward (like the almost routine Lindelöf - Rashford link)… this, coupled with his injury had certainly changed his playing style.

Saying all that, I can’t imagine any reason for him to slack off like that now. Especially since we already play with Ronaldo, who is already not pressing & running enough… but at least Ronaldo consistently contributes goals. Hopefully Rangnick will explain him the difference.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
At some point Ole put him as our furthest player up front with little to no defensive responsibility — to chase those quick long balls forward (like the almost routine Lindelöf - Rashford link)… this, coupled with his injury had certainly changed his playing style.

Saying all that, I can’t imagine any reason for him to slack off like that now. Especially since we already play with Ronaldo, who is already not pressing & running enough… but at least Ronaldo consistently contributes goals. Hopefully Rangnick will explain him the difference.
There was a point yesterday where Ronaldo was visibly annoyed at the lack of press. He went towards the defender but was further away so ushered Rashford to do it, who didn't look interested at all. Arsenal got an attack out of it and I was dead worried they'd score and Rashford would be torn apart.

As you say, might be his style change under Ole but he can't keep playing like that with Ronaldo in the team, who already struggles to press.

Red_toad

He’s been back for well over a month at this point at had plenty of games. This isn’t him being rusty with his finishing or his touch, it’s a complete waste of a player that isn’t taking anyone on and isn’t creating nor getting into great positions to score. He’s just kind of there, and even then not doing much running when we aren’t on the ball.
Don’t let facts get in the way of your opinion there :lol:

The midfield general

I said on a thread many months ago he is a footballer not a politician, he needs to concentrate his efforts on his day job. He never seems focussed anymore.Maybe his is still carrying am injury who knows.

Moomalade74

This version of Rashford has been with us now for quite some time. The excuse of being injured never sat right with me given he still considered himself fit enough to go away with England at the Euros instead of getting his shoulder sorted. I've alway doubted the narrative that he was struggling through games, performance compromised. United are certainly not the best run club by any stretch, but I'm incredulous that a player would be picked that is not at at least 90% fitness, that is gross professional negligence.
And so here we are, shoulder issue addressed, and exactly no change in performance levels.

Apart from being able to strike the ball well and run with the ball at pace, he does not have the broad technical skillset or football intelligence required for top level football. Now unfortunately, he appears a bit disillusioned for whatever reason, maybe he feels unable to affect games anymore, that his limitations are getting found out, who knows, but he's giving the impression of someone who has fallen out of love with their profession.

I still think he could be a useful impact player for us, and I'm hopeful he might find a new lease of life under RR, we'll see I guess, but I think Greenwood should be looking at this situation and mentally commiting to a more commited defensive side to his game, the position is there to be won.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He doesn't seem happy when he's playing at the moment. Very quick to get frustrated and gesture.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This version of Rashford has been with us now for quite some time. The excuse of being injured never sat right with me given he still considered himself fit enough to go away with England at the Euros instead of getting his shoulder sorted. I've alway doubted the narrative that he was struggling through games, performance compromised. United are certainly not the best run club by any stretch, but I'm incredulous that a player would be picked that is not at at least 90% fitness, that is gross professional negligence.
And so here we are, shoulder issue addressed, and exactly no change in performance levels.

Apart from being able to strike the ball well and run with the ball at pace, he does not have the broad technical skillset or football intelligence required for top level football. Now unfortunately, he appears a bit disillusioned for whatever reason, maybe he feels unable to affect games anymore, that his limitations are getting found out, who knows, but he's giving the impression of someone who has fallen out of love with their profession.

I still think he could be a useful impact player for us, and I'm hopeful he might find a new lease of life under RR, we'll see I guess, but I think Greenwood should be looking at this situation and mentally commiting to a more commited defensive side to his game, the position is there to be won.
Players are almost never 100% fit, most of them carry knocks/minor injuries etc. As for the shoulder — it’s a weird argument about England. He wasn’t any more or any less injured when he was playing for United at the end of that season. If you take out United bias or the power of hindsight (knowing how little did Southgate use him during the tournament), why would he need to have surgery instead of playing for England when he had neglected it playing for United?

How much did that shoulder injury affected his performance matter is not something that I can say with competence, but it makes sense that it would affect his running if you can’t move your shoulder properly. He has no excuses now though.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He will be out of the team quickly once Greenwood, already better all-round player and possibly striker, is back. Left wing for Sancho, right for Greenwood. Then we will rotate them but honestly I worry about Rashford the most from all of our forwards (including Martial) because he's the least adaptable and the most one-dimensional, kick and run style.
He was never taught how to press effectively, he just runs toward the player on the ball and once beaten just jogs around. That's a common thing at United actually, many players think pressing is done only from the front facing opposition goal.

Moomalade74

Players are almost never 100% fit, most of them carry knocks/minor injuries etc. As for the shoulder — it’s a weird argument about England. He wasn’t any more or any less injured when he was playing for United at the end of that season. If you take out United bias or the power of hindsight (knowing how little did Southgate use him during the tournament), why would he need to have surgery instead of playing for England when he had neglected it playing for United?

How much did that shoulder injury affected his performance matter is not something that I can say with competence, but it makes sense that it would affect his running if you can’t move your shoulder properly. He has no excuses now though.
Yeah, sure I understand the nature of niggles, but likewise, most players won't come out and declare that a niggling injury is the reason for their sub par performances for months, as Rashford elected to do.
This leads on to the point about England, as in this context of excusing his poor performances for United because of injury, to then decide to participate in England's Euro campaign sort of undermines his original excuse. Unless he's saying he wants to take his self confessed subpar game to the Euros to help England? It's not good optics either way.

Regarding the extent the shoulder injury was really affecting his performances, I agree, is not something an outsider can say with confidence, hence the return to playing once this issue is resolved would be the indicator to how much that was actually causing a problem. I think we can see now given the exact same output that it likely wasn't.

Last edited:

The Purley King

Where has his energy and desire gone?
If Rangnick does implement a high pressing style he'd better find it and sharpish, or he'll be warming the Dame Judy for quite a while.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This is what I was seeing this time last year and getting laughed at for pointing it out. We were going nowhere fast with certain players walking around going through the motions and giving off fk you vibes. He’s been performing exactly the same way since the end of covid but got away with it because he was coming back from injury and Martial and Bruno carried a genuine threat. Same craic for all of last season because he was injured /we were lacking another goal scorer, even though when he was our main threat it was easily the most listless predictable and blunt our front line has looked in years. Thank god Cavani stepped up and saved the season because we were falling fast with Marcus walking around up there

If we really want to change we need relentless selfless worker/providers/creators in the team who don’t give up and thankfully Sancho is coming to the boil. Said it before and I’ll say it again. If we’d Dan James and Sancho either side of Cavani last year we could have won something and been much closer to the style everyone else is clamouring for Ralf to bring in now. I also said in a far worse team with no hype that James would have a better euros than Rashford which he duly did. It’s all about attitude and image (highlights) these days, that’s what it feels like fans mostly buy into but they are dead wrong. Same thing with people saying Fred isn’t fit to lace pogbas boots. I still really don’t think they fully understand how we got to this point while spending what we do.

Cavani/Fred (starter) and James (squad) get into Liverpools team with the way they play, the way we now want to play. Ddg Pogba Matic AWB and Martial do not and Rashford would at least need to drastically rework his off the ball game to have a chance. They are all on league leading wages sitting outside the top 4. Bringing in Ralf is an admittance that we’ve majorly been wasting our money going in the wrong direction. Liverpools players don’t get that much but work way harder and look far more comfortable as a unit. That unfortunately is the new benchmark for work rate and productivity and has been for years. If you don’t at least match that then you’re not even at the races. Walking around being cool putting up sporadic stats doesn’t cut it anymore when you’re being run rings around and conceding in every game. It’s also literally the worst plan of attack against a packed defence every other week.

Hopefully RR can shake him up. There’s still a really good player there who’s lost his way. He can still hit goals and provide assists when he’s walking around in second gear. Get him fit and interested and we’ve still got a game changer. If he keeps going the way he has he’s going to lose his England and Utd spot really soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.