4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar_kane

Whether it was genuine or PR or a bit of both but the school meals thing was a great cause and campaign that made a real difference and nobody could take that away from him.

But for me everything else he’s done since then has been to capitalise from good will/PR from that in order to benefit his own ‘brand’. I don’t see how launching his own clothing line, the GQ Awards, his book, Skype calls with Obama, his various commercial partnerships and endorsements or the range of products he’s launched since then off the back of that are as altruistic endeavours as the spin paints them out to be.

To the point where you feel bad for criticising him sometimes because the spin machine has been so successful that you start to believe that being Kevin the Carrot’s mate in the Aldi TV ad is something akin to such brave charity work as Diana going to the land mine fields. From a ‘brand Rashford’ perspective he’s got a lot of mileage out of the campaign that was the best part of two years ago
Undoubtedly what was achieved there was a great positive for society, and I'm sure it was he himself who said to his people 'look, I want to help this cause - how do I do it?' but everything beyond that now seems so carefully orchestrated.

Just from a personal point of view I find it a bit mad I saw his tweets to MPs etc, and thought 'oh wow what a great guy' like it was he himself writing those words, when it so clearly wasn't. I've heard the guy speak in interviews, seems like a nice lad but it doesn't really correlate with that online persona. I think along with the many others it was just nice to believe in that idea of a person during a pretty shitty time overall.

I feel a bit bad for him, as I think from a brand building perspective he has been thoroughly used by his team - but the recent stuff (throwing Ole under the bus for example in a wide media briefing) he will know is underhand, and he could quite easily have put a stop to it.

Ixion

This sudden flood of reports and spin is not helping him at all, they've gone overboard with it.

RepardReece

This sudden flood of reports and spin is not helping him at all, they've gone overboard with it.
Agree, show it on the pitch and quit with the rubbish off it.

I'd be more forgiving if he actually looked like he was trying on the pitch but he just looks like he can't be bothered and is unhappy.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He scored 21-22 goals last season (just 1 pen), had 13-15 assists (?) as well. How many attackers in Europe had those sort of numbers without pens?

Like I mentioned it earlier, if his PR team stops making excuses every time he has a bad game, the pressure on him would be much lower though
Statistically, he was decent last season. He wasn’t amazing, but they are good stats with some underlying eh about them though (for instance he had 11 goals in 37 PL matches - he was averaging a goal every 265 minutes.)

The problem was more the fact that his G/A numbers were masking pretty poor general performances. And after a while, if the performance levels across the 90 aren’t there, the goals/assists will start to fade away too. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what’s happening this season.

In fact, his stats could be poorer - he could have 13 goals and 7 assists the whole season if his actual overall performances were good. But they just haven’t been. Not for some time now.

Foxbatt

What are these “so many different positions” he was asked to play in?

Wide left-side forward and wide right-side forward?

feck me he makes it sound as if he was asked to play in goal or chip in and help the parking attendants on match days
Reminds me of the story I heard about a sub. The Manager told him, I am putting you on to shore up the midfield. As the player was about to go on the manager got hold of him and said but if you can please join the attack. As he was stepping on, he grabbed the player and said if you can please help the defence too. The player stopped and asked the manager, "Don't you want me to help the keeper" ?

UncleBob

Statistically, he was decent last season. He wasn’t amazing, but they are good stats with some underlying eh about them though (for instance he had 11 goals in 37 PL matches - he was averaging a goal every 265 minutes.)

The problem was more the fact that his G/A numbers were masking pretty poor general performances. And after a while, if the performance levels across the 90 aren’t there, the goals/assists will start to fade away too. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what’s happening this season.

In fact, his stats could be poorer - he could have 13 goals and 7 assists the whole season if his actual overall performances were good. But they just haven’t been. Not for some time now.
Overall last season, yes. Split it into before christmas and after, less so.

GlasgowCeltic

I can imagine some of his stuff about Ole is true, hope he spoke to Ole privately before getting his people to publicise it all though

Foxbatt

He has thrown Jose under the bus and now Ole. He is only interested in himself and is throwing Ralf under the bus.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yeah, but the guy was playing as a LW rather than the ST, so his total return isn't anything to be scoffed at. He's had 2 very good seasons, and is just going through a slump right now

userman

Regarding the latest rumors about initial contract talks/that we’re preparing to enter contract talks I think it makes perfect sense to start this now.
When including the 1+ year option in his contract his contract runs out in 2024, meaning he has two years remaining oh his contract this summer.
His stock is fairly low at the moment meaning that he shouldn’t ask for any significant increase on his already high wages.
If he does asks for silly money, at similar level to De Gea and Pogba, and his stand is clear that that is what it will take for him to renew, then we should already start working towards a sale this summer or next summer at the latest.
The risk of not doing this is to end up in the same situation as we have with Pogba(and even Lingard and Herrera) where they end up leaving for free.

UncleBob

Yeah, but the guy was playing as a LW rather than the ST, so his total return isn't anything to be scoffed at. He's had 2 very good seasons, and is just going through a slump right now
2161 mins, 6 goals and 7 assists, 33 matches

Smores

Seems a lot like the players just want to do the one or two plays they're comfortable with.

I guess it's a defensive posturing during rough times. Why are you playing shit? Because you won't let me do what I'm good at.

They should be focusing on expanding their games to the betterment of the team and not just their own goal tallies.

Foxbatt

anant

2161 mins, 6 goals and 7 assists, 33 matches
Are you going to expand on this? What time period are you looking at , what competitions are you looking at?

And the numbers you've shared hardly point to a slump here btw. It's 24 90s he's played and having 13 G+A. That's .55 G+A per 90. Hardly to be scoffed at

UncleBob

Are you going to expand on this? What time period are you looking at , what competitions are you looking at?

And the numbers you've shared hardly point to a slump here btw. It's 24 90s he's played and having 13 G+A. That's .55 G+A per 90. Hardly to be scoffed at
In the league since 2021, which is pretty much when he completely fell off the cliff form wise

He's got 2 goals and 1 assist in 601 mins in the league this season
3 goals and 1 assist in 845 mins if you add all competitions this season.

anant

In the league since 2021, which is pretty much when he completely fell off the cliff form wise

And I'm saying that even in his poor form, playing as a LW, not having pens, and nursing an injury, his numbers are pretty decent.

No one's denying that he's been in poor form for the past few months, but it's more likely just a slump and it seems he's having confidence issues

UncleBob

And I'm saying that even in his poor form, playing as a LW, not having pens, and nursing an injury, his numbers are pretty decent.

No one's denying that he's been in poor form for the past few months, but it's more likely just a slump and it seems he's having confidence issues
= 12 months?

BarstoolProphet

I really hope we manage to sell him to the likes of PSG or Newcastle while his stock is still reasonably high. By this I don't mean that he's not good enough to have a role to play at United but that it seems blindingly obvious that he's nowhere close to being worth as much to the club as that his market value (or what he had last summer) suggests. All up until the summer last year he was touted as being a bonafide £100m player, despite him not delivering anything on the pitch to suggest that apart from the early Ole days. If any of the mentioned clubs still holds the view that he still is a marketable world class player in the making, then we should do all we can to ship him off. It's about time that we start to cash in on players before their inevitable decline makes them pretty much worthless on the market. He reminds me of the last years of Rooney at United. PR guff included.

Foxbatt

Confidence issues are when you cannot score goals. When you are not arsed about and when you never pass and always try to beat too many players then it is being selfish. Plus all this PR stuff reinforces it.

Kopral Jono

I'm going to defend Rashford here. He does try and I don't get the people that say 'look at his body language' or he doesn't run etc. He's our attacker that covers the most distance, presses the most and makes the most attacking runs.

The problem with him however, is quite simply, he's not good enough. Not good enough for a team wanting to challenge for the title. He's a useful option to have but he's not a starter. Another problem is he's not a starter but he's on a starters wage and has a starters ego.

Recipe for disaster.
Yeah, I've always felt the whole laziness angle with Rashford is off the mark. As you quite rightly point out he does run a lot and put in the extra yard. The number one problem with him, aside from him being not good enough overall at the end of the day, is that he belongs in the double digit footballing IQ club. This is a stark contrast to his otherwise above average physical talent.

the_cliff

Yeah, I've always felt the whole laziness angle with Rashford is off the mark. As you quite rightly point out he does run a lot and put in the extra yard. The number one problem with him, aside from him being not good enough overall at the end of the day, is that he belongs in the double digit footballing IQ club. This is a stark contrast to his otherwise above average physical talent.
100%. People try and make comparisons with Sterling, however, Sterling's football IQ is probably double Rashford's, Rashford is 24 years old. If he doesn't have football IQ now I doubt he'll ever have it.

Foxbatt

He used to. Not anymore. The Rashford that started and played also in Oles first season, I do not think anyone would complain. This is a very different Rashford.

Kopral Jono

100%. People try and make comparisons with Sterling, however, Sterling's football IQ is probably double Rashford's, Rashford is 24 years old. If he doesn't have football IQ now I doubt he'll ever have it.
In my opinion it isn't fair comparing Rashford to Sterling. One is serial Premier League winner and a consistent performer at the highest level for club and country and the other is all hype and no substance... who just happens to be local because we do things the United way. Am I doing this right?

You watch our other wide forwards in Greenwood and Sancho, even Lingard, and the runs they pick out along with their decision making in the final third (though something isn't quite right with the former, but that's a topic for another day). My point is, you tend to see what they're trying to do even if it doesn't quite come off, unlike our number ten who often looks completely clueless like bambi on ice. I don't know if I'm being too harsh on him, I probably am, but to me he's just a Manc Dan James with better physique and set of skills.

Kopral Jono

He used to. Not anymore. The Rashford that started and played also in Oles first season, I do not think anyone would complain. This is a very different Rashford.
I thought he was overall our best performer, De Gea aside, against Norwich a few weeks back and that was mainly due to him running a lot.

L1nk

Whilst i do agree the coaching here has been lacklustre to say the least, this whole PR nonsense of completely absolving blame from Rashford's side is so transparent

Gavinb33

I thought he was overall our best performer, De Gea aside, against Norwich a few weeks back and that was mainly due to him running a lot.
The Norwich fans who were sat near us in the pub me and my brother went to after said he was our best player, he ran at the full back a lot and beat him a few times as well not saying much because how poor we were overall like, but that was their consensus

anant

= 12 months?
The guy had 0.56 G+A/90 in the 1st half of last season in all competitions. Among players who had a better G+A-PK/90 over the entirety of last season in PL, only 13 of them weren't forwards (and this number would go lower if I bring data for all competitions into play). And we're comparing the slump period of a player here who was clearly nursing an injury.

If we're looking at the entire season in the league, he ranks 14th among all players with only 6 players above him who weren't out and out strikers (Salah is below him, just in case you're planning to go, is 6th good enough?).

It's not some silly defence of Rashford who clearly needs to get his head right, but lets not alter the assessment of the previous seasons.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He scored 21-22 goals last season (just 1 pen), had 13-15 assists (?) as well. How many attackers in Europe had those sort of numbers without pens?

Like I mentioned it earlier, if his PR team stops making excuses every time he has a bad game, the pressure on him would be much lower though
Last 12 months he has been shit.

Ixion

Cavani has 2 goals and 1 assist, Greenwood has 5 goals, Sancho 2. None of them are banging them in.

Foxbatt

The Norwich fans who were sat near us in the pub me and my brother went to after said he was our best player, he ran at the full back a lot and beat him a few times as well not saying much because how poor we were overall like, but that was their consensus
When he gets the ball he runs. When he loses it, then he stops. I wish he would stop some of his running and pass the ball. He runs into traffic and then loses it and then gives up.

UncleBob

The guy had 0.56 G+A/90 in the 1st half of last season in all competitions. Among players who had a better G+A-PK/90 over the entirety of last season in PL, only 13 of them weren't forwards (and this number would go lower if I bring data for all competitions into play). And we're comparing the slump period of a player here who was clearly nursing an injury.

If we're looking at the entire season in the league, he ranks 14th among all players with only 6 players above him who weren't out and out strikers (Salah is below him, just in case you're planning to go, is 6th good enough?).

It's not some silly defence of Rashford who clearly needs to get his head right, but lets not alter the assessment of the previous seasons.
First of all, there's productivity and there's performance, from which you can have combinations. Productivity over time will usually reflect how you are performing. If you perform well then over time productivity will usually reflect that, especially when you're playing in a top team. You can have poor performances over time, but with solid productivity, but over time productivity will usually fall if your performances are shit. Paul Pogba could've played every remaining match of the season after the Newcastle match, without having another assist, being absolutely wank, and he'd still likely finish in the top 15 of assists in the league, to put it into some perspective.

Fact is that Rashfords performances, especially since the start of 21, has only gone in one direction and it's a complete nosedive. Down to injuries? To some extent, yes, but it doesn't explain his useless decision making. After returning from injury, bar his first few matches, he's been a bit of a walking disaster on the pitch and his productivity is gone to shits as well. It's not a small slump, as you pretend it to be.

But by all means, if you want to keep pretending then go on

anant

First of all, there's productivity and there's performance, from which you can have combinations. Productivity over time will usually reflect how you are performing. If you perform well then over time productivity will usually reflect that, especially when you're playing in a top team. You can have poor performances over time, but with solid productivity, but over time productivity will usually fall if your performances are shit. Paul Pogba could've played every remaining match of the season after the Newcastle match, without having another assist, being absolutely wank, and he'd still likely finish in the top 15 of assists in the league, to put it into some perspective.

Fact is that Rashfords performances, especially since the start of 21, has only gone in one direction and it's a complete nosedive. Down to injuries? To some extent, yes, but it doesn't explain his useless decision making. After returning from injury, bar his first few matches, he's been a bit of a walking disaster on the pitch and his productivity is gone to shits as well. It's not a small slump, as you pretend it to be.

But by all means, if you want to keep pretending then go on
And when have I said he's not going through a slump? The point is his performances at the start of the year were pretty decent, not WC, not shite, decent. And for an attacker productivity matters as much as performance.

UncleBob

And when have I said he's not going through a slump? The point is his performances at the start of the year were pretty decent, not WC, not shite, decent.
Nope, they most definitely werent pretty decent.

And for an attacker productivity matters as much as performance.
Sadly, very few players are able to consistently produce assists and goals while performing like shit.[/QUOTE]

Kaos

Whilst i do agree the coaching here has been lacklustre to say the least, this whole PR nonsense of completely absolving blame from Rashford's side is so transparent
Complete utter nonsense from the media.

Yes our standard of coaching has been poor over the last 3 years, but his sulking around the pitch, not bothering to challenge loose balls, and general apathetic body language has nothing to do with coaching.

Every player goes through a purple patch of form, but you'd at least expect them not to compromise on worth ethic on the pitch. The same can be said for several of our lazy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.