Marcus Rashford vs Tammy Abraham

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You obviously don't watch him.
Even if Rashford doesn't fulfill his obvious potential, he'll be a totally different player to Welbeck.
He's a wide player, Welbeck is a striker, a decent one as well actually.
Like I say, Rashford and Abraham are different as players, it would be interesting to see how they play together.
You're wrong about Rashford, and your comparisons to strikers show you don't understand him as a player.
Rashford has plenty of poor matches, he was abysmal against Southampton, but he's also had plenty of excellent matches over the years.
Ok mate....I am not comparing him to Welbeck the striker. I am comparing him to Welbeck POTENTIAL wise. He will have as big an impact on a team as Welbeck through his career. I also used Welbeck because he too came from the academy.

Rashford as a winger is not a player that will scare any top defender he cant beat a man (pause) as well as other wide players and he does not score enough or assist enough either. Either way you look at it he is poor across the board.

Yes he has had good games but so has Bendtner that does not make him a good player.

Is there some Potential there? yes he has potentially interesting qualities but they are not put on display enough or consistently enough for a player that plays at Man United.

HowieC

Ok mate....I am not comparing him to Welbeck the striker. I am comparing him to Welbeck POTENTIAL wise. He will have as big an impact on a team as Welbeck through his career. I also used Welbeck because he too came from the academy.

Rashford as a winger is not a player that will scare any top defender he cant beat a man (pause) as well as other wide players and he does not score enough or assist enough either. Either way you look at it he is poor across the board.

Yes he has had good games but so has Bendtner that does not make him a good player.

Is there some Potential there? yes he has potentially interesting qualities but they are not put on display enough or consistently enough for a player that plays at Man United.
Agreed. Rashford doesn't have the skill to play for the top teams. Kick and run just isn't good enough. The first time touch that James took on the left while cutting in and winning a free kick - Rashford would normally require a couple or more touches to execute, wasting the entire opportunity.

I dont understand why people can't see he is technically inferior to the likes of Mason, James, and really most of the top 6 forward players.

He has pace and power and decent shooting technique, but more is required at the top level.

Walters_19_MuFc

It helps to have a pure striker to create for. It becomes harder when the striker drops deep and want to be a playmaker.
Is that down to lack of service, though? Wanting to drop deep because of lack of involvment in the game. Same thing happened with Lukaku last season and I'd also class him as a 'pure striker'.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Rubbish.
How many under 21 players have played and scored as many as Rashford at the same age?
He's clearly capable of beating a man.
He's a talented youngster, it's clear for anyone to see.
Rashford has scored against City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.
So the idea that he won't scare top defenders is false.
He's probably been given too much responsibility this season, given we're in transition, but that doesn't take away from the fact he's clearly very talented.
Poor across the board, you have to laugh. :lol:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Rubbish.
How many under 21 players have played and scored as many as Rashford at the same age?
He's probably been given too much responsibility this season, given we're in transition, but that doesn't take away from the fact he's clearly very talented.
I've made the point so many times that they usually don't get the chance. Even in Rashford performance thread from last season I said if you put Tammy Abraham in our team last year he would score same as or more than Rashford. I'm gonna keep bringing that because...lo and behold!

Dec9003

I've made the point so many times that they usually don't get the chance. Even in Rashford performance thread from last season I said if you put Tammy Abraham in our team last year he would score same as or more than Rashford. I'm gonna keep bringing that because...lo and behold!
Abraham would score more goals yeah, he's a box striker, a poacher, an out and out goalscorer.
We've seen enough of Rashford now to know that he isn't that type of forward.
You keep bringing that though.

SportingCP96

Supports
Rubbish.
Ok so quote this and we will see eventually. Believe me if I am wrong I have no problem admitting it.

I have never seen Rashford play and gone "wow thats a player" he could be a good squad player but he does not have Starter quality for a team aspiring to win trophies. He starts now because...there is no else at the club that is better and that in itself is alarming.

As for your question off of the top of my head Richarlison scored 14 last season playing for Everton, Jovic for Frankfurt, Haverts has shown more and is younger and I won't even mention Mbappe or Ousmane Dembélé because thats not fair thus the difference in quality.

Do you believe Lingard is good too?:lol: I have to ask

SportingCP96

Supports
Abraham would score more goals yeah, he's a box striker, a poacher, an out and out goalscorer.
We've seen enough of Rashford now to know that he isn't that type of forward.
You keep bringing that though.
But the thing is he probably would be best down the middle because he wont be a top class winger.

Dec9003

Ok so quote this and we will see eventually. Believe me if I am wrong I have no problem admitting it.

I have never seen Rashford play and gone "wow thats a player" he could be a good squad player but he does not have Starter quality for a team aspiring to win trophies. He starts now because...there is no else at the club that is better and that in itself is alarming.

As for your question off of the top of my head Richarlison scored 14 last season playing for Everton, Jovic for Frankfurt, Haverts has shown more and is younger and I won't even mention Mbappe or Ousmane Dembélé because thats not fair thus the difference in quality.

Do you believe Lingard is good too?:lol: I have to ask
You're already wrong.
Richarlison is another talented youngster, the rest you've mentioned play in lesser leagues (obviously Mbappe and Dembele are better than Rashford, I wouldn't dispute that)
No I don't think Lingard is very good, asking that proves you have no argument or evidence to back up your poor ideas.
I'm done here, stick to the Portuguese league pal.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Rubbish.
Rashford wont be the first player with talent who never truly establish a clear position and see less talented player have more impact and better career. End of the day talent or attributes dont matter. What matter is how much of that talent you have impact games. Either make him a pure nr 9 or a wide player.

SportingCP96

Supports
You're already wrong.
Richarlison is another talented youngster, the rest you've mentioned play in lesser leagues (obviously Mbappe and Dembele are better than Rashford, I wouldn't dispute that)
No I don't think Lingard is very good, asking that proves you have no argument or evidence to back up your poor ideas.
I'm done here, stick to the Portuguese league pal.
:lol::lol: this will be funny in a few years

Khalifa711

Tammy's the better striker no doubt, he has good attributes that will only get better with game time, height, strength, holding the ball up, finishing to name a few. Rashford on the other hand is a good wide forward, a bit selfish but it's still a good thing.

In all honesty I don't see Martial getting any better, i don't think he's the striker we need, i still like him as a player but we need more. Tammy is a player we should be looking at along with Sancho.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dec9003

Rashford wont be the first player with talent who never truly establish a clear position and see less talented player have more impact and better career. End of the day talent or attributes dont matter. What matter is how much of that talent you have impact games. Either make him a pure nr 9 or a wide player.
Agreed, Rashford could end up excellent, he could end up average or worse.
He has plenty of potential, that I'm sure every United supporter hopes he realises.
I don't know if its the worst thing for him to play upfront and out wide, especially not at his age. Especially not if hes doing a job upfront because of injuries like today.

Kemizee

Tammy's the better striker no doubt, he has good attributes that will only get better with game time, height, strength, holding the ball up, finishing to name a few. Rashford on the other hand is a good wide forward, a bit selfish but it's still a good thing.

In all honesty I don't see Martial getting any better, i don't think he's the striker we need, i still like him as a player but we need more. Tammy is a player we should be looking at along with Sancho.
Are you implying Chelsea selling him to us? Bcos that's not just gonna happen...

fps

Certainly, the United "wisdom" of playing their strikers as wingers all the time makes little to no sense to me, and Abraham has benefited from playing in his preferred and intended ultimate position on loan. He's in good form for sure, but of the two I think Rashford has more potential.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why would they be more cohesive? Half of them never played together as they were on loan and Lampard is a brand new novice manager
Their midfield was there last season. I was talking about that. Their midfield play is more coherent than ours. It's a good foundation for a striker to thrive on. Half of them is a stretch, only Abraham, Mount and Tomori (not 100% sure about him either) didn't play for them last season.

Ballist1x

Tanny is a better striker. He has better instincts and can create from nothing with his pace and power.

Rashford has basically plateaued and we can see how greedy, inconsistent and how poor he can be now without all the hype.

That's not to say he's terrible but clearly he isnt a great goalscorer. Maybe he can turn it around, maybe this is as good as it gets which would be a shame as we need a Tammy Abraham not a Rashfird right now.

Trophy Room

Abraham will benefit from being in a more cohesive team. Chelsea simply play better football than us and will finish above us.

flappyjay

Tammy is the better striker, he has 4 seasons playing as the main striker maybe 3. Didn't have a good time at Swansea. Rashford has somewhat been a victim of how crap we are. In normal circumstances he should have been playing as a striker at a midtable team and work on his craft

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't know what went through your mind.:lol:
A lot a clonazepam and alcohol. Early on, confidence wise, performance wise, I genuinely thought that Rashford was better than Mbappe. Hindsight is great and all but I’ll never hide away from my own posts. I’m Rashfords biggest critic now and if he turns it round then fecking hell! I’ll sing his praises, if anything, it shows two things, that I’m particularly shite at spotting football talent and the two, I’m unbiased.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Any comparison now is pointless as none of these two is the finished article yet and Abraham is having a purple patch like the one Rashford enjoyed when he was first introduced to the side while Rashford is going through a phase in his career when he believes that whenever the ball is at his feet he must produce something that will make Martin Tyler come up with some shivering commentary.

@MaxiPaxi

Don't worry mate, four years ago (at around the same period) the Caf didn't want to hear about trading Martial (3 goals in two matches) with a 28-year-old Messi. Not any other Messi, Lionel... the one who plays for Barcelona. I wonder what were we thinking and how it must have looked for an outsider reading the Caf. Compared to this, yours was a minor thing.

Anyway, Marcus needs to get his act together because right now he doesn't seem able to do even the most basic things on the pitch. And we can all agree that he's better than that. And, as always, this thread is a bit OTT too. Tamy has scored 7 goals with his last 10 shots, that's 70% success rate. It's impossible to keep it up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A lot a clonazepam and alcohol. Early on, confidence wise, performance wise, I genuinely thought that Rashford was better than Mbappe. Hindsight is great and all but I’ll never hide away from my own posts. I’m Rashfords biggest critic now and if he turns it round then fecking hell! I’ll sing his praises, if anything, it shows two things, that I’m particularly shite at spotting football talent and the two, I’m unbiased.
To be fair, it was crazy but not as crazy as Sterling vs Depay.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't know what went through your mind.:lol:
Im pretty sure it was Rashford scoring against Liverpool or City. I was at the City game, amongst City fans, arrrh like I don’t regret making that thread because he looked the dogs bollocks at one point. Mbappe kicked on and Rashford didn’t.. it’s simple. It’s kind of fecking crazy talking about it when Rashford has like 50 goals for one of the biggest clubs in the world...

SportingCP96

Supports
Any comparison now is pointless as none of these two is the finished article yet and Abraham is having a purple patch like the one Rashford enjoyed when he was first introduced to the side while Rashford is going through a phase in his career when he believes that whenever the ball is at his feet he must produce something that will make Martin Tyler come up with some shivering commentary.

@MaxiPaxi

Don't worry mate, four years ago (at around the same period) the Caf didn't want to hear about trading Martial (3 goals in two matches) with a 28-year-old Messi. Not any other Messi, Lionel... the one who plays for Barcelona. I wonder what were we thinking and how it must have looked for an outsider reading the Caf. Compared to this, yours was a minor thing.

Anyway, Marcus needs to get his act together because right now he doesn't seem able to do even the most basic things on the pitch. And we can all agree that he's better than that. And, as always, this thread is a bit OTT too. Tamy has scored 7 goals with his last 10 shots, that's 70% success rate. It's impossible to keep it up.
Wait.....is this serious??! People actually didn’t want to trade martial for fecking Messi :lol::lol: I swear you see so many “experts” on the caf fecking Hell :lol:

Lee565

I think rashford has had it slightly tough really, he's not played under the most progressive footballing managers has he compared to the player he gets comparisons to, lvg, Mourinho, solskjear are hardly a dream to play under for an attacking player.

Abraham is playing in a good fluid attacking side that gifts a lot of goals.

Sterling Archer

I think rashford has had it slightly tough really, he's not played under the most progressive footballing managers has he compared to the player he gets comparisons to, lvg, Mourinho, solskjear are hardly a dream to play under for an attacking player.

Abraham is playing in a good fluid attacking side that gifts a lot of goals.
He'd have been better off had we kept LVG.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Wait.....is this serious??! People actually didn’t want to trade martial for fecking Messi :lol::lol: I swear you see so many “experts” on the caf fecking Hell :lol:
Tbf, the premise of that particular OP was that he would not trade watching Martial develop for the next 10 years for half the years of Messi brilliance. Or something like that. Nevertheless, the number of pages did reach double digits before someone decided to close the thread.

I believe all fanbases have soft/weak spots. For us it's young talents, they have a good streak of games and we're already imagining that they're the next big thing in the world of football. I believe if Chelsea go on to add a world-class forward next summer, their fans will do the rational thing and think that (let's say) Lewandowski plus Tammy is better than Tammy/Giroud and it will be good for Abraham to have some top-class competition from whom he will learn a few things too.

Do this at United and the Caf servers will crash from the complaints about the manager who's destroying the youth's confidence and he's ruining his career. Were you around the night we sold Welbeck? My God, that one was a summer night to remember... for Danny fecking Welbeck.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I swear half of Abraham’s goals have been from loose balls that fall to him in the area.
That's most of the goals he's ever scored. It's not luck, movement and anticipation are skills he has.
He is a poacher but he’s actually outperforming his xG by 4.23 goals so far this season, more than any other striker, so he’s scoring low probability goals too. His last goal today was an example of one.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What has happened to Rashford? He used to be in and around the box finishing chances.

Now he's trying to be some half 10 half 9 kind of player.

Jeffthered

Not sure why so many are questioning the thread... why? This is a public forum, some are a little too sensitive. It's only opinions, we do not hold any real agency with these players ok.

I think it's a fair question.. similar, leading the line at big, high-profile teams, similar career paths (young, British players, academy system...).

Tammy Abraham, in my opinion, is a better, more natural football player. To me, he has a more traditional footballer's instinct. He works the line, wants to fit in with the team around him, understands the role of a centre forward, and wants to be a goal-scorer.

Rashford is too much into the 'floss'... wants to take corners..why? Wants to take free-kicks, and I don't only mean shots on goal.. he wants to do the tricks, etc. All a load of stuff... looks good when it comes off ... BUT... what do you get for it? More goals, or fewer goals?? The answer is clear. Rashford lacks focus about his role as a forward. That, I think will be his problem.. he lacks identity. Note Gareth Southgate's comments concerning him during the week. Many fans like Rashford, flicks, tricks... Lindgard celeb launches. The odd great strike.

But out of Abraham and Rashford, consider these simple questions; Who will score more goals? Who will make more goals, and be involved in more goals?

Stacks

Their midfield was there last season. I was talking about that. Their midfield play is more coherent than ours. It's a good foundation for a striker to thrive on. Half of them is a stretch, only Abraham, Mount and Tomori (not 100% sure about him either) didn't play for them last season.
Their midfield is pony. Kante is not creative. Their one creative player is gone. What foundation is this? Who in this midfield is even desirable. Pogba is more creative than their entire front line

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Rashford's done nothing for us for 6 months, yet people lick his boots. This includes the media. He'd be a bench player at best under SAF and that's in the bad years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Their midfield is pony. Kante is not creative. Their one creative player is gone. What foundation is this? Who in this midfield is even desirable. Pogba is more creative than their entire front line
The concept of a cohesive midfield set playing together is lost on you. You're talking about players individually which has nothing to do with my point.