Marcus Rashford vs Tammy Abraham

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't agree that Lukaku is miles ahead of Abraham. I would rather have Abraham in my team.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Its really a tough call because they are so different. Rashford is more of a winger than Tammy. Tammy is an out and out striker. Their stats are very similar.

Maybe Tammy is the easier player to fit into a team. I could be wrong but Rashford doesn't seem to have completely nailed down his role and has played in a couple of different positions. Maybe he would benefit from having a better midfield behind him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Looks like both are having a breakthrough seasons. Both different but good players.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
You'd have Rashford on the left and Abraham as your no.9.

He isn't Ronaldo, he'll never be as good as Ronaldo, but Rashford's season is eerily similar to Cristiano in 06/07 so far.

Lining up as a winger, main counter attack weapon, ghosting into the box to score goals, almost full set-piece duty.

The only real difference is his record in big games is ridiculously good, and he can really struggle when given too much time and space, because his decision-making is still a work in progress.

DSG

Agreed, but success is inevitable for Rashford.

He is hard working behind the scenes, and if he maintains that determination, he is most likely to hit the ceiling rather than fail.
The more he plays on the left, the more he convinces me. I do think he will hit another rough patch, but if he hits 20+ goals this season, it would mean he is on his way.

Scholsey2004

Maybe Tammy has the mentality and talent to succeed at Chelsea too. Not sure why one is certainly better than the other right now. The jury is out

It does appear though that Rashford isn't or doesn't want to be a no 9
Yeah, I think that needs putting to bed now since we've got enough evidence of him playing in both positions to make a judgement. He's clearly a better player on the left. Imo he's going to develop into one of those goal scoring left forwards like Ronaldo. Would probably benefit from a striker who can consistently create like benzema did for Ronaldo.

Abraham will be competing with Kane, not Rashford.

Scholsey2004

The more he plays on the left, the more he convinces me. I do think he will hit another rough patch, but if he hits 20+ goals this season, it would mean he is on his way.
This, very much.

Nickelodeon

He has been a revelation on the left wing. I loved the performance against Spurs and it was quite Ronaldoesque in his endeavor to take on a man everytime he got the ball. Hope he carries it on.

Tammy has been quite a lethal finisher but I have this feeling that this run of form would get over and he'll soon go back to being an average striker.

meamth

Looks like both are having a breakthrough seasons. Both different but good players.
Rashford already broke through, this is the season for him to establish himself.

Tammy on the other hand is breaking through the first team and impressing well beyond expectations.

Different situations in my opinion.

meamth

He has been a revelation on the left wing. I loved the performance against Spurs and it was quite Ronaldoesque in his endeavor to take on a man everytime he got the ball. Hope he carries it on.

Tammy has been quite a lethal finisher but I have this feeling that this run of form would get over and he'll soon go back to being an average striker.
Or he could be like another Kane, back on loan, suddenly a world class striker. You never know in football.

TRUERED89

I think Rashford might be coming of age, whilst I agree that some of the criticism was over the top, Rashford really has been shite up until the last 2 months or so. Yesterday's performance was absolutely phenomenal, I really can't say enough about it.

I've liked Tammy since he was at Swansea, always looked a good, sharp striker who's obviously massive as well. He's showing this season that he's got enough about him to be a starting striker for Chelsea as well, which is very impressive. Rashford seems the more complete player, but clearly Tammy is a better striker.
I take it you mean this season, he obviously hasn’t been shit his whole career here.

Nickelodeon

Or he could be like another Kane, back on loan, suddenly a world class striker. You never know in football.
Can't disagree. I saw quite a bit of Harry Kane in the initial bits of his career and never thought he would be the player he is now.

Raven

I take it you mean this season, he obviously hasn’t been shit his whole career here.
Any time I've watched him he's usually been rubbish, mainly because he's young and inconsistent, but rubbish nonetheless. As I say that performance the other night though was something else, it felt like a coming of age performance, everything he's been trying for years finally came off.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The main period when he played poorly was when he had no support at all, he was expected to carry the entire attacking threat of the team on his own. Not completely excusing it but true all the same. Young players do tend to have periods of bad form.

Number32

Abraham is a better player right now, thanks to his loan spell at the bottom club that teach him to be more discipline. But Rashford has a higher ceiling if he could maintain his position as our starting 11. On the pitch he has to be more discipline and ruthless, then stay away from Lingard's friends off the pitch (they are toxic and childish).

TRUERED89

Any time I've watched him he's usually been rubbish, mainly because he's young and inconsistent, but rubbish nonetheless. As I say that performance the other night though was something else, it felt like a coming of age performance, everything he's been trying for years finally came off.
He’s scored 60+ goals now, to say he’s been shit his whole time here just isn’t accurate at all..

RedWat

I don't agree that Lukaku is miles ahead of Abraham. I would rather have Abraham in my team.
One interesting thing that I heard today was the comparisons of Lukaku & Abraham, that in many aspects Abraham is a Lukaku Mark 2 , but with a better first touch. The comparisons was based on the standard of teams Abraham has scored against, where this season most of the teams he has scored against are middle of the table or lower. Another flat track bully. Rashford on the other hand seems to have a better scoring rate against the top teams

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
One interesting thing that I heard today was the comparisons of Lukaku & Abraham, that in many aspects Abraham is a Lukaku Mark 2 , but with a better first touch. The comparisons was based on the standard of teams Abraham has scored against, where this season most of the teams he has scored against are middle of the table or lower. Another flat track bully. Rashford on the other hand seems to have a better scoring rate against the top teams
I took a look at who Abraham has scored against this season...

2 v Norwich
2 v Sheffield United
3 v Wolves
1 v Southampton
1 v Watford
1 v Palace
1 v Villa

So bar Palace who are where they are due to the congestion of the league table all goals against teams either newly promoted to the PL in the last season and a half or flirting with relegation

He's still scored way more goals in the PL regardless of the opposition than I thought he would but he needs to start scoring against the better sides

Hoof the ball

A player is only as good (or as bad) as his previous game, and so, after a resounding performance vs. Spurs, his consistent string of poor performances prior are quickly forgotten. Now, Rashford has 9 in 15 in the EPL, which statistically is a far superior than at any point in any previous season, yet, paradoxically his general performances aren't necessarily any better than in previous seasons. It is very quick to forget that in most games this season, the vast majority of posters in game threads/post-match threads and player threads have lamented his lack of improvement in the general aspects of his game.

Therein lies the frustration with Rashford. He's capable of scoring whilst yet playing poorly and making bad decisions, which is a good thing, however, if his general play doesn't improve it will always be a limiting factor for him in terms of how good he can become.

rpg

2 goals against Spurs and suddenly Rashford is equal to Ronaldo breakthrough season.

VJ1762

A player is only as good (or as bad) as his previous game, and so, after a resounding performance vs. Spurs, his consistent string of poor performances prior are quickly forgotten. Now, Rashford has 9 in 15 in the EPL, which statistically is a far superior than at any point in any previous season, yet, paradoxically his general performances aren't necessarily any better than in previous seasons. It is very quick to forget that in most games this season, the vast majority of posters in game threads/post-match threads and player threads have lamented his lack of improvement in the general aspects of his game.

Therein lies the frustration with Rashford. He's capable of scoring whilst yet playing poorly and making bad decisions, which is a good thing, however, if his general play doesn't improve it will always be a limiting factor for him in terms of how good he can become.
I mean, the same can be said for the rest of the team. There is not one single player who we can point to as being consistent week in and week out, except maybe Bissaka.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Equal on goals this season(in PL) and this thread hasn't been bumped recently for some reason. Hmm.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You really, really need to get your eyes checked. One of the worst posts I've read on here.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Tammy is decent but I really think Rashford is a level above. I suspect Chelsea will upgrade when they can.

Ludens the Red

Equal on goals this season(in PL) and this thread hasn't been bumped recently for some reason. Hmm.
This is probably the most stupid thread on here which is saying something. I can’t remember what I posted in here earlier this season but yeah anyone who thinks Tammy Abraham is or will be better than Rashford is a maniac.

lysglimt

Scout
Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Callum Wilson, Marcus Rashford, Jaden Sancho, Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, James Maddison, Mason Greenwood, Callum Hudson Odoy etc etc

Just getting into the England squad as a striker/attacking midfielder in a couple of years could be horribly difficult.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Callum Wilson, Marcus Rashford, Jaden Sancho, Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, James Maddison, Mason Greenwood, Callum Hudson Odoy etc etc

Just getting into the England squad as a striker/attacking midfielder in a couple of years could be horribly difficult.
Agreed. Kane and Sterling have spots locked up as long as they maintain the kind of form they have been showing. Rashford is ahead for the 3rd spot but Sancho is getting more difficult to leave out too.

I think the Euros will come slightly too soon for Greenwood but we are going to have 6 or 7 really strong options available to us.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rashford is clearly the better player but they don’t play the same position and aren’t very similar in any way.

izec

If we still played Rashford as a nine, he would struggle. He pretty much put the discussion to an end if he is better wide or through the middle. He is modelling his game to Ronaldo, it is quite obvious. Tammy plays centrally, so the thread is a bit pointless. They both could play together

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is probably the most stupid thread on here which is saying something. I can’t remember what I posted in here earlier this season but yeah anyone who thinks Tammy Abraham is or will be better than Rashford is a maniac.
We should do a poll on which thread has been worse

Rashford v Iheanacho
Rashford v Jesus
Rashford v Abraham

I'd say it's fair to say Rashy has seen all 3 off now

cyberman

Rashford v Iheanacho
Rashford v Jesus
Rashford v Abraham

There was a multi page discussion on United fans taking CHO over Marcus as well if that counts.

Trophy Room

A more suitable comparison would be Martial and Abraham. The only similarity between Abraham and Rashford is that they are both English. Different types of players IMO.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are very very different, could easily play together. Rashford is a car boot Ronaldo (not a criticism), Abraham is a more like a better Andy Carroll.

Rashford is the better footballer for me, but Abraham is much more of a natural finisher.

Classical Mechanic

Rashford v Iheanacho
Rashford v Jesus
Rashford v Abraham

It isn’t really fair to say that. All it shows is how inherently stupid these threads are. Jesus might go on to better things once he leaves Aguero‘s shadow. Tammy has had a drier spell but could come back into form whilst Rashford could struggle for a bit. All it shows is the reactionary nature of football fans and their love of tribalism and dick waving.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If we had a swap deal with Rashford going our way and Tammy going your way then United would be by far the happier of the two.