Television Mare of Easttown (HBO)

El General 1994

Oh come on! No thread for this yet?!

Mare of Easttown - starring Kate Winslet and made by HBO.

Has anyone seen this yet? Two episodes in (6 in total) and already it screams of quality.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah finished the first two and it's fantastic. Winslet is superb as always. Definitely has that "small town, big tickets" vibe going on.

Hoof the ball

Sweet, I'll give this a watch! I've got HBO Max on VPN so I'm good to go.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen the absolutely brilliant HBO adaptation of the My Brilliant Friend novels? 8.6 imdb, 96% Rotten. Coming of age Italian drama. Don't sleep on it. It's the best thing HBO have done in years.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We mentioned it briefly in the TV shows thread. If you liked Sharp Objects I think you’ll like this.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I've just seen the first episode, and it really does at least appear to be classic high quality HBO. Feels similar to Sharp Objects, another great HBO miniseries, though that one was based on a novel.

Thanks for the heads up. It did appear on my HBO Nordic, but I hadn't noticed it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
How is it HBO is able produce really good series after series? Whatever they are doing.

nimic

something nice
Scout
How is it HBO is able produce really good series after series? Whatever they are doing.
They produced a bad one in The Outsider, but that's because Steven King can't write endings. It started well. IMO The Night Of was also a slight disappointment considering the great start, but the production and acting was great.

Really do suggest people watch Sharp Objects, I still think about it sometimes. Just don't read too much about it before you jump in.

Donut

Watched the first two episodes. Nothing amazing so far, slow build and so many characters. Hopefully it will pay off.

It’s nice to have a show with weekly episodes that you look forward to. Also quite liked HBO’s The Undoing, seems quite similar to this.

Did you guys recognize Roy from The Office? :)

Massive Spanner

Watched the first two episodes. Nothing amazing so far, slow build and so many characters. Hopefully it will pay off.

It’s nice to have a show with weekly episodes that you look forward to. Also quite liked HBO’s The Undoing, seems quite similar to this.

Did you guys recognize Roy from The Office? :)
It's miles better than The Undoing, that was pure trash TV. As was said above, it's a lot closer to something like Sharp Objects, though I think, so far, it's better. Sharp Objects was a ridiculously slow burn with a great payoff.

And yeah, can't remember him in many major tv roles since then. It's weird seeing him in such a serious show!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Like the slow build up in very much a European style. Then the shocks are all the more poignant

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well hell. That was something. I liked that guy, thought he’d end up redeeming himself with that case. I’m spoilering because this HBO stuff sometimes comes out at varying times.

Tarrou

I haven't seen 5 yet but Guy Pearce is such a pointless character so far

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How many episodes are there. Just finished 5 and that was very good indeed.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This had potential, but they're trying to be too clever imo. They're literally making everyone a suspect :lol: then they'll have a twist where it turns out it's someone who was never a real suspect.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This had potential, but they're trying to be too clever imo. They're literally making everyone a suspect :lol: then they'll have a twist where it turns out it's someone who was never a real suspect.
Did you ever see the American version of the Killing. Basically every episode was about a suspect, who was then found innocent by the end of that episode.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Did you ever see the American version of the Killing. Basically every episode was about a suspect, who was then found innocent by the end of that episode.
Not seen it no, sounds like a good idea, until you realise the entire episode is pointless in the end as whoever is the suspect is gonna be innocent by the end of it.

Did they atleast drop a new clue that would lead to the eventual killer?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not seen it no, sounds like a good idea, until you realise the entire episode is pointless in the end as whoever is the suspect is gonna be innocent by the end of it.

Did they atleast drop a new clue that would lead to the eventual killer?
I recall it was 13 episodes long and it was only in the last episode was the true killer revealed.

Massive Spanner

Holy shit, that ending!

Serious True Detective vibes from those last ten minutes. Tremendous show so far.

The Firestarter

Surely one of the best lead acting performances in a tv show? Increeibly complex character to pull off.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That was a great episode. So we have solved the historic murder and kidnapping but the recent murder still remains unresolved. Who are the main suspects?

• The ex-boyfriend
  • One of the two priests
  • The nervous looking bloke who she stayed with for a while (someone's cousin?)
  • Mare's daughter (seems unlikely but)
  • Mare's ex-husband who denied being the babies father

padzilla

Hipster
They produced a bad one in The Outsider, but that's because Steven King can't write endings. It started well. IMO The Night Of was also a slight disappointment considering the great start, but the production and acting was great.

Really do suggest people watch Sharp Objects, I still think about it sometimes. Just don't read too much about it before you jump in.
The Outsider made me want to smash my television the pacing was so unnecessarily slow and then the ending was laughable. I am not sure it was a HBO show but The Undoing was another recent disappointment a great cast wasted on a terrible script that could have been made in the 90s for a daytime soap opera.

Massive Spanner

Erin died from a smack to the head, right? With a rock or something?

I'm still betting she went off to meet either the kid's real dad or the priest/Dylan in the woods, things got a bit out of hand and it was mostly accidental. Probably then the person with her panicked and took her clothes to get rid of any DNA evidence. I think it'd made sense if after all this it turned out to be something really simple. They probably planned on coming forward but once they saw the media link it to Katie Bailee's abduction they bailed on it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Quite the show, glad it is not ten episodes. The pacing so far seems perfect.

Cant feel too sorry for the felled detective. fecker reminded me of James O’Keefe from the outset.

SirAnderson

Oh come on! No thread for this yet?!

Mare of Easttown - starring Kate Winslet and made by HBO.

Has anyone seen this yet? Two episodes in (6 in total) and already it screams of quality.
Been waiting for all the episodes to drop first, already seen a bit of it and can't wait to watch it. Prefer having everything available rather than waiting for the next episode to drop :wenger: