Television Mare of Easttown (HBO)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Decent twist. One thing seemed off, perhaps an error in the script.

The old man stated his gun was missing for a couple days yet the kid claimed he returned it the same night. Was this a script error? Or was it consistent with the old man's memory problems? Or did I mishear the old man and/or the kid?

nimic

something nice
Scout

The old man stated his gun was missing for a couple days yet the kid claimed he returned it the same night. Was this a script error? Or was it consistent with the old man's memory problems? Or did I mishear the old man and/or the kid?
He didn't say it was missing for a couple of days, just that it had been missing, and then later ("the other day") he discovered it was back

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What a great show that was. Very satisfying finale.

One thing I don't really get is why Dylan was such a dick and pulling the gun and stuff the last episode. Seemed a bit much for the explanation of just wanting his parents to get DJ or something?

Tarrou

nah he didn't say it was missing a couple of days

just said it was back the next time he looked

Tarrou

I haven't seen 5 yet but Guy Pearce is such a pointless character so far
turns out he didn't get any more relevant after this

I think the writers were trying to give Mare a bit of an outlet that wasn't connected to the town, or something.. I don't know but it didn't work whatever the feck he was meant to he doing

Massive Spanner

Yeah his character was totally pointless. You actually could have taken out every scene he was in and it would have made no difference.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Thought they kind of sullied it somewhat with that silly twisty ending. Just not buying it. And no way Laurie ends up with that poor kid either.

What a great show that was. Very satisfying finale.

One thing I don't really get is why Dylan was such a dick and pulling the gun and stuff the last episode. Seemed a bit much for the explanation of just wanting his parents to get DJ or something?
Yeah that was clearly just in there to keep you guessing in hindsight. Didn't make any sense why they were chasing the girl down and threatening to kill her.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I started watching this with the first episode last night. I binged the rest today.

Kate Winslet is amazing in it, and for some reason Erin was incredibly sympathetic to me. I haven't felt so gutted with a character's death since Wallace died in the Wire. It captures the struggles and hardships I've seen others go through in small, dying/struggling towns. Obviously all of those things happen in bigger cities, but when it's in a small town, things are complicated by everyone knowing everyone else's business.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah his character was totally pointless. You actually could have taken out every scene he was in and it would have made no difference.
I guess it made Mare's existence slighlty less bleak and maybe partly helped her go into the loft at the end. And of course in real life there would be unconnected people involved. Yet it seem seem to be a waste of Guy Pearce.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The gun bit wasn't contradictory especially as the gun owner was either crumbling with grief, in the early stages of dementia or both. However it could have been explained slightly better to avoid the confusion.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Flat ending imo, but overall the series was excellent.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I guess it made Mare's existence slighlty less bleak and maybe partly helped her go into the loft at the end. And of course in real life there would be unconnected people involved. Yet it seem seem to be a waste of Guy Pearce.
Also they add extra characters in whodunnits to make it harder to guess the culprit.

Robertd0803

Fantastic show. Been a while since I got so invested in a programme and wanted to see the next episode straight away.

Roosney

Kate Winslet was brilliant.
The finale felt a bit bland at first, but then I realised the show was more about Mare than the murder mystery.

Nickosaur

Superb series. Winslet was outstanding but the overall cast was excellent too. Only minor gripes really, the last episode felt a little too twist-y. But the crimes were very much the backdrop here: this was about Mare battling her demons in a pretty bleak setting.

Best series I've watched in a long time.

Zen

American mini-series are pretty obsessed with

teen murderers

right about now aren't they?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Thought they kind of sullied it somewhat with that silly twisty ending. Just not buying it. And no way Laurie ends up with that poor kid either.
Yeah, that’s more or less what I was thinking. It was well below Sharp Objects in quality after the final analysis.

Massive Spanner

I'm watching this now. First episode is great.

Big theme of drink driving in these backwater American drama's. Is that still a thing over there?
Yeah it's kinda nuts. I spent a while in the Bay Area and people would go to the bar and drive home on 4 or 5 drinks no problem. Go over the speed limit though and the cops are all over you.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm watching this now. First episode is great.

Big theme of drink driving in these backwater American drama's. Is that still a thing over there?
Half the pickup trucks you see after 5 PM got an open can of beer, or they’re chasing sips of Fireball with Sprite. Up that to 90% of the ones that roll coal past the bicyclists and small fuel-efficient cars.

I’m being silly with those numbers of course, like I am with most everything, but in some places they are way too close to reality. I know because I have more first-hand experience with these backwaters than I wish.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very good show. Solid story, plenty of twists without getting overly complicated. The pacing was very good. Kate Winslet was excellent.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just finished this, and thought was great - gripping & captivating without being too drawn out.
Every time I thought I figured it out, they completely blindsided me with a plot twist, and some great moments of humour in there too.
I felt so much empathy for a lot of characters in this - including the killer (not that Breonna [sp?] girl though, she can choke), Kate Winslet especially puts in a fantastic performance.
The pronunciation of 'Mare' was confusing, is it an Irish name?
Also, Zabel :drool:

Although now the killer has been revealed, an earlier episode makes a lot more sense. I wonder if there's some more easter eggs.

I was wondering whether Mare did the 'right' thing in arresting Dylan.
However the more I think about it - I think Ryan showed signs of psychopathy. The way he beat that kid who was bullying his sister was extremely violent, the look in his eyes was intense - and if the timeline is correct, this was only a day or two after he shot Erin.
I'm no psychology expert, but that suggests to me a lack of remorse or change in behaviour, but perhaps an escalation in behaviour if left unchecked.
Also i'm not sure if this type of behaviour is hereditary? because his father was definitely a psychopath.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The pronunciation of 'Mare' was confusing, is it an Irish name?
It is an Irish name according to google which could make sense for the locale, but it is also the US pronunciation of the lower case use of the word. I don’t recall anybody being named it as it is the word for a female horse; I am guessing that might have been intentional.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It is an Irish name according to google which could make sense for the locale, but it is also the US pronunciation of the lower case use of the word. I don’t recall anybody being named it as it is the word for a female horse; I am guessing that might have been intentional.
Didn't her mother call her Marianne in one episode?

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
So I’m halfway through the last episode and want to make some ending predictions.
The wife of John killed Erin after she found out he was having an affair with her or maybe they were all having relations together. She killed her using Mare’s Fathers old gun which she found in the attic of Mares house where she’s admitted she hasn’t been in since her son died so she wouldn’t know it was missing. Johns taking the rap since no point ruining two lives instead of just his, he’s screwed either way since his incest secret is out. I think that she was the ‘weasel looking man’ from the start, maybe she was spying on John and Erin in a nearby house

bit of a Liberty making a ending prediction halfway through the last episode to be fair :lol:

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
So I’m halfway through the last episode and want to make some ending predictions.
The wife of John killed Erin after she found out he was having an affair with her or maybe they were all having relations together. She killed her using Mare’s Fathers old gun which she found in the attic of Mares house where she’s admitted she hasn’t been in since her son died so she wouldn’t know it was missing. Johns taking the rap since no point ruining two lives instead of just his, he’s screwed either way since his incest secret is out. I think that she was the ‘weasel looking man’ from the start, maybe she was spying on John and Erin in a nearby house

bit of a Liberty making a ending prediction halfway through the last episode to be fair :lol:
So I was a ways off, that’s why I’m not a writer. This show was absolute class I watched one episode at a time before the last few I couldn’t help but binge them all at once. It was the best show I’ve watched this year and the best show since the last couple of HBO shows I watched. HBO just doesn’t miss.

nimic

something nice
Scout
So I was a ways off, that’s why I’m not a writer. This show was absolute class I watched one episode at a time before the last few I couldn’t help but binge them all at once. It was the best show I’ve watched this year and the best show since the last couple of HBO shows I watched. HBO just doesn’t miss.
The Outsider :nono: