Television Mare of Easttown (HBO)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Was she about to kill herself in the attic?
No? Why would you think that?

She was just eventually coming to terms with her son's suicide and moving on. She hadn't been up there since it happened, think this was her way of closure, going to where it happened.

The Firestarter

No? Why would you think that?

She was just eventually coming to terms with her son's suicide and moving on. She hadn't been up there since it happened, think this was her way of closure, going to where it happened.
Just seemed a bit ominous, the way the scene was presented

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Was she about to kill herself in the attic?
:lol:

I feel like it's almost impossible to have watched all the scenes with the therapist, watch Mare patch up her relationship with her best friend, see her get up from sleeping with the kid where they are both so content, listen to the end music for that final scene and assume she's about to kill herself.

I wish they would have just chucked in a loud thump and swinging sounds now, would have been the most what the feck moment of all time.

The Firestarter

:lol:

I feel like it's almost impossible to have watched all the scenes with the therapist, watch Mare patch up her relationship with her best friend, see her get up from sleeping with the kid where they are both so content, listen to the end music for that final scene and assume she's about to kill herself.

I wish they would have just chucked in a loud thump and swinging sounds now, would have been the most what the feck moment of all time.
After Westworld I read too much into the higher quality HBO shows.

Your suggestion would work very well as a post credits scene!

acnumber9

I’ve just finished this and found it a bit of a letdown. Kate Winslet was fantastic in it, the show had some good emotional beats in it, but the writing was shoddy as hell. Twists thrown in for cliffhangers, people acting in ways that nobody would ever act and a killer thrown in at the last minute when no hint was ever given at it. Lots of fairly pointless melodrama and a shocking waste of Guy Pearce.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I’ve just finished this and found it a bit of a letdown. Kate Winslet was fantastic in it, the show had some good emotional beats in it, but the writing was shoddy as hell. Twists thrown in for cliffhangers, people acting in ways that nobody would ever act and a killer thrown in at the last minute when no hint was ever given at it. Lots of fairly pointless melodrama and a shocking waste of Guy Pearce.
There must have been hints because people figured it out well before the final episode.

Was definitely a few too many twists and strange actions though :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched it recently and yeah Kate Winslet was superb. It was good overall but did suffer from being a bit like a 90s show where red herrings were chucked in for the sake of it.

acnumber9

There must have been hints because people figured it out well before the final episode.

Was definitely a few too many twists and strange actions though :lol:
Well he did get upset at school that time. Just so many really stupid things. Like a grown man buying a girl a necklace engraved with the date they banged that led her to the dad to begin with.

OleBoiii

Just finished it. My wife and I liked it a lot. It reminds me of the first season of Broadchurch, which I also enjoyed. This was a little better, though!

My only critique is there was a little too much going on in terms of suspects and stupid decisions. I would have left out a few detours and added a little more quiet time just to allow the story to "breathe". For instance:

Frank(Mare's ex-husband) did not need to be a suspect. Also, him lying about having no contact with Erin made very little sense and felt completely out of character, as he was probably the most level-headed guy in town. I get that the story needed more conflict between him and Mare, but they could have found a different way.

I also think Zabel's death was a little hollow.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Just finished it. My wife and I liked it a lot. It reminds me of the first season of Broadchurch, which I also enjoyed. This was a little better, though!

My only critique is there was a little too much going on in terms of suspects and stupid decisions. I would have left out a few detours and added a little more quiet time just to allow the story to "breathe". For instance:

Frank(Mare's ex-husband) did not need to be a suspect. Also, him lying about having no contact with Erin made very little sense and felt completely out of character, as he was probably the most level-headed guy in town. I get that the story needed more conflict between him and Mare, but they could have found a different way.

I also think Zabel's death was a little hollow.
I very much disagree on the second point there. It was perfect.

OleBoiii

I very much disagree on the second point there. It was perfect.
I felt that his character was just there to prove how good of a detective Mare is(she was superior to him in practically every way). He didn't really contribute anything to the story, beyond being a detective we know at least a little while Mare was suspended. Their very short romance also felt off.

But I'm just nitpicking now. It's still better than most TV shows in the same genre and I'd definitely recommend it to others.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Having just finished it I would agree with this. Winslet gave an amazing performance, and the show was overall enjoyable, but I didn’t think the show was that great overall, though it did have its moments.

Didn’t like the twist ending.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I just recently finished it. Found it a bit cliched TBH. Its nothing i hadnt seen before and i could predict most of it.

I knew it was one of that family member. i also knew that the prostitute abduction was not connected.

I have seen so many of these types be they films or series that i sort of know the tricks.

It was not terrible. But i would not classify it as HBO's finest. Kate Winslet was brilliant though.

stepic

Was expecting more to be honest. Not a patch on sharp objects

i reply didn’t buy the ending.
a kid, after finding out his dad is cheating once again, just doesn’t go get a gun and attempt to scare the girl off in the middle of the night. He would be pissed at the dad. Plus how'd he get access to his dads phone anyway? Passwords aren’t a thing now? It really beggared belief. Guy Pearce was a waste of time and so was the partner really.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Was expecting more to be honest. Not a patch on sharp objects

i reply didn’t buy the ending.
a kid, after finding out his dad is cheating once again, just doesn’t go get a gun and attempt to scare the girl off in the middle of the night. He would be pissed at the dad. Plus how'd he get access to his dads phone anyway? Passwords aren’t a thing now? It really beggared belief. Guy Pearce was a waste of time and so was the partner really.
I felt it was predictable.