Mario Götze | WELT: Should be back in training at some point in July

Heardy

Daily mail reporting he's been ruled out indefinitely with a metabolic disorder.

Doesn't sound good - wishing him all the best and hopefully a recovery!!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Very sad for him. Hopefully he comes back stronger.

http://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/Mario-Goetze-remains-sidelined-metabolic-disturbances-diagnosed

Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund will continue to be without midfielder Mario Götze for the time being. The 24-year-old World Cup winner has continually suffered with muscular problems in the last few months, prompting a comprehensive internal investigation into the possible causes.

Those investigations revealed the player has metabolic disturbances, rendering it absolutely necessary to withdraw him from team training for the time being. "I'm currently undergoing treatment and will do everything in my power to be back in training and helping my team to achieve our common goals as soon as possible," Götze said.

"We're happy to have now uncovered the reasons for Mario's difficulties and are convinced that his extraordinary abilities will give us additional quality once he has completely recovered from this," emphasised Borussia Dortmund's Sporting Director Michael Zorc, who continued: "Mario has the full backing and maximum support of everyone at BVB during his recovery!"

JoaquinJoaquin

Never heard of it. Wonder if that is one of the main causes for his form to dip so much.

Heardy

Cheers @Damien on my phone so struggled with the link.

I read that it causes as enzyme deficiency but no idea what that means in reality.

Either way, doesn't sound good when they're saying it has rendered it absolute necessary that he has to stop all form of training.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It's very unspecific. It's like saying someone has "an infection", which could mean a common cold or always fatal rabies.

Most are genetically inherited conditions, in which the body fails to produce a necessary enzime to metabolize a given substance, which will then accumulate and cause harm. The blood test done in newborn kids has the purpose of screening for a few of these, as if you know which they are you can then change the diet of the child to avoid the nutrient that accumulates before it causes irreparable harm.

They're hundreds or thousands of different diseases though, some always fatal in childhood, some that progress slowly throughout life and cause increasing problems and some that don't affect life expectancy at all and are a mere biochemical curiosity.
It may as well refer to common coditions such as diabetes or high cholesterol.

No idea what they mean here in particular, and the implications are a guesswork.

Zlatattack

Wishing him all the best in his recovery, he's a great player and I hope to see him fit and healthy at his best soon.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund will continue to be without midfielder Mario Götze for the time being. The 24-year-old World Cup winner has continually suffered with muscular problems in the last few months, prompting a comprehensive internal investigation into the possible causes.

Those investigations revealed the player has metabolic disturbances, rendering it absolutely necessary to withdraw him from team training for the time being. "I'm currently undergoing treatment and will do everything in my power to be back in training and helping my team to achieve our common goals as soon as possible," Götze said.

"We're happy to have now uncovered the reasons for Mario's difficulties and are convinced that his extraordinary abilities will give us additional quality once he has completely recovered from this," emphasised Borussia Dortmund's Sporting Director Michael Zorc, who continued: "Mario has the full backing and maximum support of everyone at BVB during his recovery!"
http://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/Mario-Goetze-remains-sidelined-metabolic-disturbances-diagnosed

What exactly did they diagnose him with?

SirAF

Ageist
I don't mean any offense, but maybe that's why he's always looked slightly chubby? Hope he recovers quickly!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wish him the best, know from personal experiences that problems with metabolism, intolerances to food etc if undiagnosed, can wreak havoc in terms of physical fitness and staying fit. If it does all go well, could come back a rejuvenated and much more influential player once again.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Reading about it on the internet it sounds like something an average guy can quite easily handle in his life but for an professional athlete its catastrophic as its permanently weakening the muscles.
Hope this doesn't impact his career too much but I have a bad feeling:nervous:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He was heavily criticized since his move to Bayern, but it seems now that his issues were more serious than just attitude problems or dodgy knees. 2 days ago he was ruled out by Borussia, likely at least until the end of a season, due to "metabolism problems"

From what I've read, it seems like they suspect that Götze is having either the same illness as Luis Ronaldo does (Hypothyroidism), or Myopathia metabolica, which causes muscle degradation and everything that follows - so it would explain his constant muscle injuries.

I thought it was worth sharing. I was a big fan of him at the earlier stages of his career and genuinely thought that he would turn out a better player than Neymar, but his career trajectory reminded the classic case of a teenage star who thought too much of himself and wasn't dedicated enough. It seems like I (and many others) were wrong. Hopefully he'll recover

edit: somehow missed the thread in the search!

Last edited:

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Absolutely awful. He must be going through a very rough time.
I hope it's something you can come back from in some capacity like Fletcher did.

MadMike

Feck. Not good.

Cardio myopathy runs in my family. It's a Cnut
Myopathy is muscle disease resulting in muscle weakness. When that affects the heart muscle, it's called CardioMyopathy. If that was the case, as with any heart condition, it would mean immediate end to his professional career. So I don't believe it's that. Still, I don't know what his chances are of playing again but it's not looking good at the moment.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
1/2 Götzes Erkrankung soll behandelbar und beherrschbar sein. Michael Zorc sprach von einer "vollständigen Genesung" [Kicker]
2/2 Der BVB ist "absolut sicher" die Ursachen gefunden zu haben. Diese haben vor allem die Schnellkraft (weniger Ausdauer) beeinträchtig.
According to kicker Götze's illness is manageable and treatable - Zorc spoke about a "full recovery". BVB is supposedly "absolutely sure" to have found the cause, which foremost affected elasticity [not sure that's the right translation] (less stamina).

If that's true this might be a blessing in disguise for Götze and could explain why he never really delivered on the promise of his early years.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Good news from Mario Götze (24): Borussia Dortmund's national player positively points to the first phase of his treatment.

At Götze, a metabolic disease had been detected in February, which made it necessary to take the World Champion from the training company.

In the early summer, Götze can again begin the performance-oriented workout with a positive treatment process. Currently, the midfielder is in rehab and completes an individual training program.

The overall sporting goal for the player is to be fully operational until the beginning of next season.

"BVB also wishes Mario Götze a quick recovery on behalf of his ten million fans," stresses Borussia Dortmunds CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke.
http://www.bvb.de/News/Uebersicht/Mario-Goetze-spricht-positiv-auf-die-Behandlung-an

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The overall sporting goal for the player is to be fully operational until the beginning of next season.
How German is that? :lol:

Damien

Staff
According to kicker Götze's illness is manageable and treatable - Zorc spoke about a "full recovery". BVB is supposedly "absolutely sure" to have found the cause, which foremost affected elasticity [not sure that's the right translation] (less stamina).

If that's true this might be a blessing in disguise for Götze and could explain why he never really delivered on the promise of his early years.
Yep. Great that it was found now when he'll still have so much of his career left than in a few years wondering what could have been.

djdhrubs

I don't mean any offense, but maybe that's why he's always looked slightly chubby? Hope he recovers quickly!
It's possible him looking chubby may be a side effect of steroids, which may be used to treat a myopathy.

Damien

Staff
http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/mario-goetze/auf-der-neuer-hochzeit-52140406.bild.html
https://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/...ermin-fuer-Mario-Goetzes-Rueckkehr-steht.html
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...-gotze-robert-lewandowski-attendance-13196860
  • Has lost about five kilos.
  • Begun special body training, running and keeps fit with a bike.
  • WELT reckons he'll be back in training in July. Whether he'll be back for the first day of training on July 7 is questionable.
  • Appeared at Neuer's wedding and seemed in good health.
  • Echo: Götze and Lewandowski attended Klopp's 50th birthday party in Germany.
It's possible him looking chubby may be a side effect of steroids, which may be used to treat a myopathy.
Yeah, in one of the links above it said the "puffy" face was a side effect of drugs used.

RyRoc

Will leave Dortmund on a free this summer. I honestly believed this guy would have been in contention for a future Ballon Do'r after his first few games for the German national team.

Is it a case of being ruined by injuries or were there other reasons why he didn't make it? He's only 27 as well, is that it for him or will he get one more chance at the highest level given he's on a Free?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ussia-dortmund-this-summer-at-end-of-contract

L1nk

I think the biggest thing is going to Bayern Munich when he did, he honestly should have stayed at Dortmund, he was never the same player after that, although yes injuries and the myopathy since obviously haven't helped at all.

izec

Would be surprised if he played for a top club in the future. Best he can hope for is a decent team in a good league. Dortmund was a level too high for him

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I feel sorry for him in terms of his injuries and his condition. I do wonder how many players there are that would have turned out differently depending on injury management etc. I remember listening to a podcast with Dyer and his injuries were misdiagnosed for years and probably cost him a couple of years of his career.

Hey, he still has 5 Bundesliga titles and a World Cup (including scoring in the final) so his career hasn't gone badly at all but a shame for it to go this way.

Pep's Suit

Would be surprised if he played for a top club in the future. Best he can hope for is a decent team in a good league. Dortmund was a level too high for him
His current level is a mid/low table BuLi club. Can see him join Hertha, Werder etc.

RyRoc

His current level is a mid/low table BuLi club. Can see him join Hertha, Werder etc.
Any chance of him getting back to something like his 2011-2014 form or is that just completely over now and the best he can hope for is to be a regular for one of these clubs?