Mario Mandžukić

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
actually sometimes more is as bad as less. Probably such huge team will come out with all sort of names to justify their salary in such a competitive environment. Imagine if the manager asks for a striker and the scouting team came out with 40 names. Surely he wouldn't trust them after that.
Well it's Ok to have options. But the manager has to set a guideline about the type of striker he wants, and the scouts HAVE to justify their submitted list is fit into manager's guidelines (and the Board/Ed's requirement also).

ICHM

£10m a year for a 33 year old that has never played in the EPL, will want a 3 year contract, f...k no.

Eric7C

I love these wildly pessimistic out of this world posts like these.

Signed Mandzukic did we? - Clubs finished. Done for. Over.

(Not forgetting that a lot of our signings over the past few years have been aging, but yh, the clubs FINISHED, now we’ve signed 1 33yr old striker. - Oh but I’ll take Zlatan. Who can do it in the MLS but we don’t know if he can do a job in a completely different, more aggressive league. But yeah. We’re FINISHED)
I love posts that take words literally. Congratulations.

Halal Jalal

Never liked this player, but as long as it's a 6 month loan he could be useful. Late sub battering ram and lamp post, then again we could have kept Fellaini for that.

If we actually pay a transfer fee and give 2 year contract to this pensioner... "Young, hungry, local" yeah right, empty PR platitude for gullible fans. Has-been mercenary gets transfer listed in October and we're all over him.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd like Mandzukic. Proper target man and a different option to what we already have. We put in a lot of crosses but haven't really got a presence inside the box. Mandzukic would give us that.

UnitedChampionsAgain

The type of striker who requires great service which he wouldn't get from our current bunch. Our crosses and through balls are awful and at his age I just can't see it working.

0le

Don't want him. Panic buy, high wages, he'll struggle in the league, we won't create enough chances for him and the future manager won't want him. Travesty of a signing if it happens. We need to sort out our midfield first and foremost. You can't expect the strikers/ forward players to score many goals when they barely get any chances to do so.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
anybody else not believing this one at all?

seems completely against what Solskjær wanted. Unless it’s a Woodward cheapy deal in an emergency I can’t see it.

While he’d give us a different option from the bench he’s basically the Croatian Fellaini.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

seems completely against what Solskjær wanted. Unless it’s a Woodward cheapy deal in an emergency I can’t see it.

While he’d give us a different option from the bench he’s basically the Croatian Fellaini.
I understand you struggle to believe it if you feel he is the croatian Fellaini. But he is not. And having a striker like this is different from having this type of midfielder.

Adam-Utd

I understand you struggle to believe it if you feel he is the croatian Fellaini. But he is not. And having a striker like this is different from having this type of midfielder.
He’s 34 and while known for having a good work rate he isn’t the quickest, he’s known for having a sharp elbow and good in the air.

if it happens I hope he proves me wrong, but for the style ole is aiming for I don’t see him as the right fit.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He’s 34 and while known for having a good work rate he isn’t the quickest, he’s known for having a sharp elbow and good in the air.

if it happens I hope he proves me wrong, but for the style ole is aiming for I don’t see him as the right fit.
Mandzukic from few years ago would make sense in Ole "system". He was pretty aggressive and good in pressing.

Now? Just don't see any reasoning to sign him. We do need goals, but I don't think he can bring that many of them.

Adam-Utd

Mandzukic from few years ago would make sense in Ole "system". He was pretty aggressive and good in pressing.

Now? Just don't see any reasoning to sign him. We do need goals, but I don't think he can bring that many of them.
Exactly.

a few years ago sure, but there’s a reason he hasn’t had any minutes for Juve. He was about to move to Qatar!

Is he really the guy to turn us around? I’d rather get Ibra back if we’re going short term.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Timo Werner has a 30m release clause.

I'd rather go for that.

I know he's not a big target man, but he'll get us goals surely.

Bestietom

That goes without saying. However bringing players in January is still tough. It's a seller market
It does seem harder with us than other clubs. You can bet your house on City bringing in 1 or 2 in January. ( Kouibaly or Dias for sure).
Didn't we bring in Vidic and Cantona in January transfer windows.

settembrini

I didn't believe it when people said we were buying him last summer and I don't believe it when people say we will buy him in January now.

As you say it goes completely against what Solskjaer wants and he would have just kept and used Fellaini if he felt we needed a target man as a plan B.

HowYouDoin

Croatian Fellaini hahaa
Yall do remember he was the one to score to knock England out of the WC? Sorry, know it might be a touchy subject but lets keep it real here. He is not a Fellaini.

You know exactly what you"ll be getting with Mandzukic. Tons of running, energy, defending, passion, good hold up play and occasional poachers goal. Not a world beater anymore, he was perhaps during his time with Bayern but not the player you regret signing. A player like him is always a net positive.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

33. Two years younger than Zlatan was when he signed. And still more fit than any player in our squad. And a hell of alot smarter in his movement.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How is he technically?

To me this just reeks of us realising we shouldn't have sold Fellaini. Which would represent the haphazard strategy of a club that has no idea what it's doing.

Mark Pawelek

At least he was still scoring goals last season. Over 2018-19 he got 9 goals + 6 assists in 2020 minutes of Serie A football; 23 starts. But 3 year contract? No way. Players over the age of 32 should be on rolling 1 year contracts. Of course he should be paid well; up to £200k/week. But no more than a 1 year contract.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really bothered or interested in this one. This season will most likely be a write off. Hell be 34 next season. Essentially he's being signed to save Ole and his top 4 ambition this season. Riveting stuff.

amolbhatia50k

Don't want him. Panic buy, high wages, he'll struggle in the league, we won't create enough chances for him and the future manager won't want him. Travesty of a signing if it happens. We need to sort out our midfield first and foremost. You can't expect the strikers/ forward players to score many goals when they barely get any chances to do so.
Yeah that's why a loan is better. Don't need an oldie on high wages that another manager has to deal with or try and get rid off without takers.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Timo Werner has a 30m release clause.

I'd rather go for that.

I know he's not a big target man, but he'll get us goals surely.
It's not as simple as that. The release clause is based on performances, so if he does well the clause will be higher. Obviously if he doesn't do well the clause will be low but then it'd be a higher risk.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
World class mentality but overall average limited striker approaching final stage(s) of his career.
Love him for the national team and his never die attitude, but it's worrying he's seen as someone United should go for.

fergiesarmy1

It's not as simple as that. The release clause is based on performances, so if he does well the clause will be higher. Obviously if he doesn't do well the clause will be low but then it'd be a higher risk.
Given our lack of ability to score a goal it’s surely worth the risk no?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Might as well have squeezed another year out of Lukaku if we were planning on buying another big target man who we could only get 6-12 months out of. At least Lukaku is a proven PL goalscorer despite his limitations, and would still have a significant resale value after an extra season.

Denis79

Might as well have squeezed another year out of Lukaku if we were planning on buying another big target man who we could only get 6-12 months out of. At least Lukaku is a proven PL goalscorer despite his limitations, and would still have a significant resale value after an extra season.
Ha! That is not how we operate here.

arthurka

What style? I haven't seen any style under Ole other than counter attacking where I can't see him work well.

amolbhatia50k

Given our lack of ability to score a goal it’s surely worth the risk no?
Given fans feel we need a starting CF are we really going to sign Mandzukic and another one in the space of the next year ? We need a RW and 2 CMs as well. Would rather us get the CF signing spot on if we're going to make one, rather than have a 34 year old on high wages next season who is not even a good enough to be the starter we need.

fergiesarmy1

Given fans feel we need a starting CF are we really going to sign Mandzukic and another one in the space of the next year ? We need a RW and 2 CMs as well. Would rather us get the CF signing spot on if we're going to make one, rather than have a 34 year old on high wages next season who is not even a good enough to be the starter we need.
Sorry pal I was taking about the £30m Werner clause, yeah I wouldn’t be too keen on Mandzukic.

fergiesarmy1

If Bayern really want him, it ll be very difficult.
Pitch him he’s gonna be playing second fiddle to lewondoski for a few years yet, that’s all I got pal apart from the wheelbarrow approach Ed usually uses which only seem to get us the type of players we don’t need.

Bestietom

It looks like a Woody deal to me. Quick fix until summer. Why not try for a 6 month loan and the same for Rakatic.

Adam-Utd

23 years old as well, you sure? Madness we didn’t buy him this summer if so.
It’s true but I believe it’s 60m this summer then 30m after. No clear confirmation from any source on this.

He has a clause that says he can leav
What style? I haven't seen any style under Ole other than counter attacking where I can't see him work well.
I’m only going from what ole talks about.

We did seem to be pressing more from the front with martial in the team, but since the injuries that’s gone.

jackal&hyde

Given the age of our strikers it makes perfect sense actually. He is also a top professional from what i understand. A Larsson like signing.

Adam-Utd

Given the age of our strikers it makes perfect sense actually. He is also a top professional from what i understand. A Larsson like signing.
As long as he’s still good enough.

I don’t want another panic buy that doesn’t suit what we’re aiming to do. Quick fixes around the answer.

jackal&hyde

As long as he’s still good enough.

I don’t want another panic buy that doesn’t suit what we’re aiming to do. Quick fixes around the answer.
He was apparently always on the cards but a combination of Inter leaving it so late to match the price for Lukaku and the English transfer windows closing so early compared to the European one meant we couldn't get the deal over the line. I imagine Woodward did not want to add to the wage bill before Lukaku was off and it is what it is now.

I think he is good enough for 15-20 games per season.