Mario Mandžukić

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was apparently always on the cards but a combination of Inter leaving it so late to match the price for Lukaku and the English transfer windows closing so early compared to the European one meant we couldn't get the deal over the line. I imagine Woodward did not want to add to the wage bill before Lukaku was off and it is what it is now.

I think he is good enough for 15-20 games per season.
We definitely need somebody, but he was about to join a Qatar team. He hasn’t played any minutes for Juve this season. Bit worrying.

if he’s joining as a bench/rotation option then sure but many fans will start saying “what a poor rebuild another wasted Transfer” If he doesn’t immediately play well and improve the team.

jackal&hyde

We definitely need somebody, but he was about to join a Qatar team. He hasn’t played any minutes for Juve this season. Bit worrying.

if he’s joining as a bench/rotation option then sure but many fans will start saying “what a poor rebuild another wasted Transfer” If he doesn’t immediately play well and improve the team.
Fairly certain Martial is our future nr 9 and so whatever striker we get is always going to be a rotation/ off the bench player that might offer something a bit different.

fps

If getting him in January then should've grabbed him at the end of the summer, good mentality, fading physically but a high quality player in his time with significant know-how and a work ethic that fits what Solskjaer wants.

Lee565

So much for clearing the club of deadwood when Solskjear is going to bring in a 33 year old striker that has poor goal scoring record

Dosse

Mixed feelings about this one. Clearly he can offer much expertise to the younger lads. Given the "right" contract, it could be a great signing.

Mainoldo

Why we aren't trying to buy Jovic from Madrid and make him feel loved i don't know. But more incompetence from the whole of United.

dev1l

Why we aren't trying to buy Jovic from Madrid and make him feel loved i don't know. But more incompetence from the whole of United.
Jovic signed a contract with Real less than 6 months ago. And it remains to be seen whether he wants to come here or no.
Knowing Real, they ll ask us for Pogba foe sure...

Mainoldo

Jovic signed a contract with Real less than 6 months ago. And it remains to be seen whether he wants to come here or no.
Knowing Real, they ll ask us for Pogba foe sure...
They probably will.. but rumours our he's not wanted at Madrid and it's not odd for them to act ruthless.

As far as Pogba goes.. he's going anyway, they will still have to make a separate deal with us so that should not matter. We can't be scared to negotiate for players that would improve us because of what the other club might want for us.

Hawks2008

So our season is up in the air and Mario Mandzukic is the answer? Is this really all Ole and Woodward can come up with? Good in his day but at this stage of his career I can't see him being the saviour we need.

"Youth. Courage. Success." fecking meme club.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We're going to put all our hopes in turning our season around on Old man Mario.
:lol:

snowkarl

Think we will bring in a midfielder also. Fernandes maybe, or Rakitic.
:houllier:

Building for the future with youth, was it?

If we'd wanted these excess squad players from other clubs who didn't want them in the summer either - why did we not try to get them when it would have been beneficial for the entire season rather than just the last few months?

When we finally thought we'd be getting rid of old man Matic and co, we're about to bring in another couple of pensioners :lol:

Mandzukic was just heading to a retirement league in the gulf and now he's supposed to come lead our line? We have no ambition anymore.

beingshe7don

Mandzukic is too old. I'm not sure if he's got what it takes to survive in the PL at this age. Dembele from Lyon would be my option or Timo Werner

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think we will bring in a midfielder also. Fernandes maybe, or Rakitic.
I was utterly convinced we'd bring in a striker once Lukaku left the club in the summer gone by,because that would've been the common sensed procedure. Striker out,Striker in.
As you know f*ck all happened.

So,dont get you hopes up.

Lee565

So much for giving Solskjear time to fulfil a 4 year plan, 6 months in and we are once again panic buying, at least in the past when we panic brought there was some excitement to it compared to this transfer.

Why would we not be after a striker on loan instead?

racimovic

i think Mario will be a good addition for the rest of the season, but he is old so it just a short term solution.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Too old, too slow and useless on the counter. Probably still good in the air and basic finishing but who's going to play him in out of our current lot? None of them know how to cross or play a defence splitting pass. Generally we only create 2 or 3 chances per match so he's not going to score many anyway. It would be our usual trend of bringing in top players when well past their best. It's the only time we can get them. Remember the Falcao disaster? This one would play out in similar fashion in my opinion. If we're going for a striker he needs to be the type who can score without help (basically a miracle man) as he'll get very little from the rest of this squad.

MrSingh2002

Mandzukic is a poor mans Ibra.

Dembele wouldn't be even an upgrade on Lukaku.

Piatek, Lewandowski or Kane. Most realistic being Piatek at Milan as they're as bad as us at 12th in Serie A.

Throw 50m at Milan and we have a world class striker who is going to get even better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He will just be a stop-gap for a year to 18 months, until Greenwood hopefully is ready to make the first XI.
Greenwood is 18 isn't he? Don't think we should be putting that much pressure on him by the time he is 19. We should have a sorted CF - whether Martial steps up or someone new - who can give is 3-4 years of quality peformances. Greenwood has to become a solid part of the squad over the next few years and keep improving. I'm in favour of giving him starts upfront or on the right, if he seems up to the task, but I don't think everything should be pinned on him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sold Lukaku to get Mandzukic....
Seriously. I didn't mind the Lukaku sale but if we're moving towards a more progressive style, then I'm not sure a 33 year CF is the answer. We should go for a loan deal for this one rather than saddling ourselves with his high wages.

Scriblerus

Stopgap. Just as Ibra was. We should be buying strategically for the next few years, not plugging holes with whoever we can get as a short term answer. We'll maybe get a season and a half out of him - bet he gets a 3+ year contract, though.

Seb burrow

Just screams of a panic buy. I’m not doubting him one bit. But where is the ambition from this club?!

He’s 33 with no sell on value and will probably be on a another silly wage.

I’ve seen a lot of people mention Piatek and I think he’s a great choice. Proper goal machine. Closest thing to Ruud who is realistically available to us. I’m sure he would be up for a move away from Milan.

We need a striker who is going to be with the club for over 3 years because Greenwood is way too young.

SER19

Should have happened in summer, 2 plus 1 deal a no brainer of depth and experience that is not at all contradictory to the overall rebuild.

Bestietom

He will be a short term deal until we get Mousa Dembele in the Summer. Rakitic could be another.

Acole9

Outstanding
Definitely worth getting on a short term deal, surely can't be any worse than what we've already got.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:houllier:

Building for the future with youth, was it?
When we finally thought we'd be getting rid of old man Matic and co, we're about to bring in another couple of pensioners :lol:
Mandzukic was just heading to a retirement league in the gulf and now he's supposed to come lead our line? We have no ambition anymore.
100% Correct, except it's not even remotely funny because it's every bit as likely to happen....:mad:

Okey

Sigh... Good, solid if old player, cheap short term fix (though more cello tape than super glue), yes. But we really should be doing better. What stops us throwing the required money at Timo Werner or Piatek? We have the money don't we? These players can be bought if we really want them. Let's act like United for once and throw around some of this money we keep flashing at the stock exchange!

Lee565

Definitely worth getting on a short term deal, surely can't be any worse than what we've already got.
You mean a 33 year old that has struggled to get in to double figures in a league season for many years now.

There is a lot better out there.

Adcuth

I'd take him for a year, he's played as a striker and out wide before and done well. He can drop deep too. I'd be happy getting him.and Rakatic in Jan. We need to change formation though. Maybe a 4312. I think we'd vastly improve playing like this.

Martial Mandzukic​

Gomes​

Pogba Mctominay Rakatic​

Shaw Maguire Tuanzabe AWB​

De Gea​

ash_86

Would be a very good addition for a year or two. He is technically good and has experience vast experience in Leagues and CL which would be invaluable for likes of Martial, Greenwood and Rashford. I really loved Ibra and Martial up top when they played there few times. This could cause a similar effect for us.

Hubal

Most realistic being Piatek at Milan as they're as bad as us at 12th in Serie A.

Throw 50m at Milan and we have a world class striker who is going to get even better.
Piątek is not a world class striker and I don't think he'll ever be one. As a Pole myself it hurts me to say but he's most probably a one season wonder, not very good technically, with good instinct for goals but that's about it, definitely not the type of player United should be looking for. I'd take Mandzukić as a short term solution over Piątek even as a striker with room for improvement any day

HowYouDoin

If Martial is healthy we won't need Mandzukic in most games. However he's good to have as an insurance. We sure could use him right now.
Sometimes he could be invaluable as a target man though....if we decide to play like that.