Mark Geiger - Referee

lolok

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm disrespectful but this is absolutely unbelievable, I'm sorry for saying Americans as a whole.

Let's just say Mark Geiger should stick to MLS, americans need to make their league stronger and need to prove themselves on lower stages before being able to perform in this kind of games.
How many British refs got picked for the World Cup?

LoCalXT

Don't blame the ref , England's inexperience is getting exposed. They simply stopped playing.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
I punched his nephew in the face when we were 10. So his uncle can fack oof.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't blame the ref , England's inexperience is getting exposed. They simply stopped playing.
Blame the ref for what? He's been shit, but he's not penalized england. Far from it

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
How many British refs got picked for the World Cup?
No English refs was due to a technicality, not because of quality reasons. That said anyone doubting the refs credentials due to his nationality are idiots

redIndianDevil

No English refs was due to a technicality, not because of quality reasons. That said anyone doubting the refs credentials due to his nationality are idiots
I think it's acceptable though, referees from nations with strong football support and strong league will be more experienced than ones from say USA. Games will probably be much slower in the USA than here. High pressure matches will inevitably bring the worst out of players and the referee would simply not be able to control the game.

ROFLUTION

Escobar died because the Pablo was done and the power vacuum lead to more aggressive and violent cartels trying to fill the place. One cartel bet big on Colombia winning the world cup. Escobar was killed for money
From what I know from the two Escobars documentary it was a rather random gunning down after a small feud. Do you have any proof/ solid articles to back that up?

Carolina Red

Staff
I think it's acceptable though, referees from nations with strong football support and strong league will be more experienced than ones from say USA. Games will probably be much slower in the USA than here. High pressure matches will inevitably bring the worst out of players and the referee would simply not be able to control the game.
Which is why Premier League refs are so awesome.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hopefully his last game at this level. Stick to your retirement league mate.

Farfetched

What makes this hard to bear is that the long additional extra time added on by Mark Geiger after 90 was due to them arguing with him and it worked in their favour as they scored deep in that extra time.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He’s an international-class referee, him being American doesn’t change that. Don’t get me wrong he’s awful, but it’s not his nationality

Which one?
Clattenburg was the PL representative, because he left the PL there was no time to replace him with another PL ref

Last edited:

PTSTSL

England should have player on the counter with this referee...I'll get my coat

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
From what I know from the two Escobars documentary it was a rather random gunning down after a small feud. Do you have any proof/ solid articles to back that up?
Yeah, the point i was making was Colombia was more dangerous at the time because of the feuds between cartels. It was a random gunning down in that it wasn't planned. Cartel men happened to meet him outside a club, and decided to shoot him because he'd cost them big money

breakout67

Supports
Man City
At least 2 players could have been sent off, probably more. Horrible refereeing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: This guy and his crew already ref’d the Portugal vs. Morocco and Germany vs. South Korea games at this tournament
Ah, so he's the guy responsible for the biggest mistake of the world cup? And FIFA decided it was fine to use him again after Morocco-Portugal? :lol::lol::lol:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That didn’t take long
Tbh from the little MLS I've seen recently, one thing I noticed is the referees were poor at handling gamesmanship. I don't think today's referee was bad if he was trusted with a ro16 game, just his flaws were exposed today.

Robertd0803

In fairness to him Colombias approach was dreadful. And England allowed themselves to be dragged to that level.

No excuse for missing Stones kicking Falcao in the head or not sending off the defender that headbutted Henderson though.

Carolina Red

Staff
Tbh from the little MLS I've seen recently, one thing I noticed is the referees were poor at handling gamesmanship. I don't think today's referee was bad if he was trusted with a ro16 game, just his flaws were exposed today.
He didn’t have a great game, but I don’t think anybody would have had one with what went on out there today.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He didn’t have a great game, but I don’t think anybody would have had one with what went on out there today.
That's true but some referees handle these situations better than others. The elite CL referees usually can keep control.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That may be so, but I doubt it would go over well to just use UEFA officials in the World Cup.
Maybe just a lack of exposure of the US refs to different kind football. Could try to have them referee a few Copa Libertadores games.

Shimo

Think this has been a reoccurring theme this whole world cup. The whole VAR and then surrounding the refs. This should have be handled by FIFA. It's disgraceful how some teams have acted around the refs and in games.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, the point i was making was Colombia was more dangerous at the time because of the feuds between cartels. It was a random gunning down in that it wasn't planned. Cartel men happened to meet him outside a club, and decided to shoot him because he'd cost them big money
I never knew that was how it went down, I thought they’d targeted him. Sad story

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I thought he was decent. Handled some difficult moments with dignity.

marktan

I think he was ok. He did get surrounded by the Columbians, but he gave Falcao a yellow for that.. he can hardly send them all off now can he.

I did think he was a bit lenient with us but I'm not complaining.

AllezLesDiables

Part of the problem is that FIFA has choked off any autonomy for the referees. So, even if Geiger wanted to show red or double yellow, he’d be under the threat of being sent home.

Doesn’t excuse his performance or lack thereof. He didn’t set an appropriate tone to the match.