Markets

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I haven't stopped my sip's.

You only lose if you pull out after the market has crashed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What's the main reason, more trade war fears?
The Ftse will know doubt follow it down tomorrow...
Fear of supply chain interruptions due to impending tariffs, which will obviously have knock on effects in all markets. Also, the internals of the ISM are starting to trend negatively, so all things combined....massive down day (Thanks Donald!)

Edit. Oh and the S&P dipped below the 200EMA on the daily chart today. With the exception of last month, it hasn’t done that in ages.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Fear of supply chain interruptions due to impending tariffs, which will obviously have knock on effects in all markets. Also, the internals of the ISM are starting to trend negatively, so all things combined....massive down day (Thanks Donald!)

Edit. Oh and the S&P dipped below the 200EMA on the daily chart today. With the exception of last month, it hasn’t done that in ages.
Makes sense. I might shift some cash out of long-only funds to absolute return ones tbh.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Makes sense. I might shift some cash out of long-only funds to absolute return ones tbh.
Pivotal day today. Another bad day in the US could be treacherous since key technical levels have been breached

Jippy

Staff
Pivotal day today. Another bad day in the US could be treacherous since key technical levels have been breached
Hmm, looks pretty bleak. These guys are really good on technicals.

1. Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 16h16 hours ago
    S&P 500 on pace for its worst start to April on record dating back to 1928. $SPY $$

2. Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 19h19 hours ago
    S&P 500 down 70 basis points over the last 5 minutes after 200-DMA breaks again.

3. Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 19h19 hours ago
    Any decline of more than 1.57% today for the S&P 500 would be the worst start to April since 1932. Worst start to April was in 1929 when the index fell 2.55% on 4/1/29.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hmm, looks pretty bleak. These guys are really good on technicals.

1. Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 16h16 hours ago
    S&P 500 on pace for its worst start to April on record dating back to 1928. $SPY $$

2. Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 19h19 hours ago
    S&P 500 down 70 basis points over the last 5 minutes after 200-DMA breaks again.

3. Bespoke‏ @bespokeinvest 19h19 hours ago
    Any decline of more than 1.57% today for the S&P 500 would be the worst start to April since 1932. Worst start to April was in 1929 when the index fell 2.55% on 4/1/29.
The 200 EMA issue is critical. If the S&P can't hold that level, and with the ridiculous gains that were made over the past year, the next key technical level would be all the way down at 2210, which would completely wipe out all gains made in 2017.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Just keep on investing monies. Dont throw all of it in one go though.

I just started investing this year and market went down, maybe i'll blow all of my money :nervous:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've decided that I'm not doing much in the way of investing (except for in a bit of whisky, which I can just drink if it doesn't work out) until I've done my "major purchases" like property and maybe a car or something. I have some cash sitting around doing feck all but I don't want to risk it before that's sorted. And then I'm guessing there'll be a bit of a crash within the next few years so it might be wiser to hold out for that.

Jippy

Staff
The 200 EMA issue is critical. If the S&P can't hold that level, and with the ridiculous gains that were made over the past year, the next key technical level would be all the way down at 2210, which would completely wipe out all gains made in 2017.
Looking a bit rosier today.