Marko Arnautović | United have pulled out

Austria Utd

I know he had some early troubles at Inter and people are speaking about the one specific incident, but has there been any other problems regarding his personality?

He was labeled similiarly to Ibrahimovic and I’d assume there are issues around how he grew up, maybe some nationalism in his family life, some early ego and perhaps not the best reasoning to piece it all together?
Not everybody grows up in a comfortable environment, people make mistakes, have prejudices without being terribly malicious.

maybe we should trust Ten Hag and McClaren who actually managed him and seemed to like him when he was the precocious brat.
Yes, there are a lot of stories from his early career (borrowing Eto'os car and crashing it; joining Werder Bremen with CL winner boots without playing a minute or also a funny story with policemen in Vienna. This was all 10 years and longer ago. He grew as a person over the last few years, is now the most consistent performer in our national team over the last 10 years and he is in the top 3 in terms of popularity in Austria (next to Alaba and Hinteregger, who retired and is also a "special" character). On his good days he can make the difference for Austria and Bologna. However, I think he is not good enough to spend ~10m and we should look at other targets.

saik

Why don't Everton sign him? Surely they need a striker after losing Richarlison and more so after the injury to DCL. Please don't let this guy anywhere near our club for ffs. :mad:

MadMike

Our strikers post RVP have been as follows*:

Arnautovic (33)
Ronaldo (36)
Cavani (34)
Ighalo (30)
Lukaku (24)
Ibrahimovic (34)
Falcao (28, but he literally came off the back of a huge ACL injury)

* I wouldn’t even count Martial, he was a left winger when we signed him, no?
Well, Falcao was a also loan to be fair like Ighalo and unlike the others.

captaincantona

Then how about this one? https://syndication.bleacherreport....ic-called-me-a-nigger-ibrahim-kargbo.amp.html

Does this make it a habit? Being racist once can be a misunderstanding? But twice?
I just think idiots say things…but often don’t actually have “racist” views …they just spout the most inflammatory language they can when trying to offend. They are not out there trying to degrade or harm a person solely because of their hatred for that race of people…they are trying to offend that specific person in any way possible. I think it’s also a slippery slope to label people racists for a lack of education or exposure. I Have a fair bit of first hand experience of this stuff unfortunately. Been subjected to some quite awful stuff growing up and in the early part of my career.

In saying that now if it turns out he is a closet white supremacist then I’m out with the pitch fork!

Highfather_24

The fact that ETH wants him and that Brobbey guy, is a huge fecking red flag.

Clearly ETH shouldnt be in charge of recruitment, he wasnt in Ajax either.

Cypriot

Do you really think Arnautovic was his first choice? I'd bank on him being closer to his last choice. And Brobbey was never approached by us, he signed for Ajax the minute we were linked by random journos.

Give your head a wobble.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why don't Everton sign him? Surely they need a striker after losing Richarlison and more so after the injury to DCL. Please don't let this guy anywhere near our club for ffs. :mad:
Everton is a good shout actually. Very much an Everton type signing.

cabbs1989

Remember when spurs were gonna hire gattuso but the reaction from the fans were crazy and it didn’t happen, the fans need to do this on social media as they care about the image of the club on that we need to boycott it man, this can not go through he’s a racist and he’s also crap

dave2528

So, our solution in attack is a washed-up, never-was with the pesky habit of being a racists shit stain?

Stellar work, team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do you really think Arnautovic was his first choice? I'd bank on him being closer to his last choice. And Brobbey was never approached by us, he signed for Ajax the minute we were linked by random journos.

Give your head a wobble.
The premise of his post is correct though, managers should never be dictating entire transfer windows.

Superunknown

Can't tell you guys how dejected I am by this. This is just terrible work. We have no idea what we're doing. Waste of a fecking window.

Highfather_24

Give your head a wobble.
Arnautovic shouldnt even be his 5th choice. If out of all the strikers in Europe, we have put 33yr old Arnautovic as one of our options, that's fecking dismal. And yes, we were interested in Brobbey, that was reported too, but he had already agreed with Ajax.

If you are happy with us chasing FdJ and Antony all summer, and then settling for Rabiot and Arnautovic, then good for you. Nevermind we still havent signed our priority positions like RB and RW, and our midfield is in shambles.

The recruitment this summer has been an absolute farce, and its sad that fans are even defending it.

SATA

Is he what Ten Hag wanted or the club board/scouting department? Not only him and now Rabiot as well :houllier:

I really can’t see Pochettino wanting both of these players if he’s United manager now, and i am one who prefers Ten Hag

OverratedOpinion

Egg on a lot of peoples faces when he actually does very well in a backup role.

We are keeping Ronaldo and Martial, he will be 3rd or 4th choice and will probably chip in with some important goals. He has always been a decent player.

reelworld

Arnautovic shouldnt even be his 5th choice. If out of all the strikers in Europe, we have put 33yr old Arnautovic as one of our options, that's fecking dismal. And yes, we were interested in Brobbey, that was reported too, but he had already agreed with Ajax.

If you are happy with us chasing FdJ and Antony all summer, and then settling for Rabiot and Arnautovic, then good for you. Nevermind we still havent signed our priority positions like RB and RW, and our midfield is in shambles.

The recruitment this summer has been an absolute farce, and its sad that fans are even defending it.
He shouldn't be any choice. He's a racist cnut. That alone should be enough. I don't even care if he's a really good player (which he's not). He should not be anywhere near our club

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Egg on a lot of peoples faces when he actually does very well in a backup role.

We are keeping Ronaldo and Martial, he will be 3rd or 4th choice and will probably chip in with some important goals. He has always been a decent player.
He'll still be a racist peace of shit, so not really

OverratedOpinion

He'll still be a racist peace of shit, so not really
Have no idea about that, if there is substance and people are up in arms about that then fair enough. I agree Man Utd should take moral stances on such things.

Most people seem to just be talking about him as a player, if those are the concerns then I disagree as he is a decent player in a position that we desperately need cover.

Superunknown

Really, it just highlights the fact that there's no structure or system at our club for doing business and bringing new players in. ETH should be coming in to a club where there's already a system and procedures in place, because you'd expect that at a top club.

We're not behaving like a top club. This potential signing is damaging and is going to make us look like absolute mugs. We're flashing a huge neon fecking sign to show the whole footballing world that we're amateurs.

I'm hoping that this signing falls flat on its arse and is a no-go. We have to be better than this.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Have no idea about that, if there is substance and people are up in arms about that then fair enough. I agree Man Utd should take moral stances on such things.

Most people seem to just be talking about him as a player, if those are the concerns then I disagree as he is a decent player in a position that we desperately need cover.
As a player he's just underwhelming, but could surprise us, sure. As a person he's completely off limits for me, though

Affirmation

In all honesty, ten Hag isn't receiving enough flack for this. The club and our fans rightfully condemned Liverpool, including their manager at the time, for standing by and defending Suarez after the racially motivated incident involving him. This current regime is willingingly backing ten Hag, on a potential move for Arnautovic, a player who has had multiple, well known incidents involving racial abuse and sexisism. How can any fan of this club, that truly stands by the ethics and values of it, support this lot?

Green Arrow

Well they left the Super League faster than @golden_blunder a Victor Lindelöf appreciation thread
Fair point about the Super League it was a rare occasion that they did listen to us on that!

Erm don't you remember how long they waited to sack our beloved Solskjaer?
Yeah remember that too well still, they just kept him on for no point after that loss to Liverpool. Thinking they knew better than us fans.

They don't.. but they care about the brand.
Indeed they do but they should also have realised that the on field success (Or lack of all these years) also hurts their brand.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Didn’t want him purely on his ability & age.

Now it also transpires that he’s a massive racist & misogynist too? You could barely make it up. If this is the player Erik is pushing for them questions have to be asked. Especially after stressing all summer that we have to find the ‘right players’.

Seeing a player like this turn out for us would make me feel sick. I absolutely would not support him in any way.
I mean Ryan Giggs is still considered a United legend.....

OverratedOpinion

As a player he's just underwhelming, but could surprise us, sure. As a person he's completely off limits for me, though
I disagree in part on the player part.

I would rather we let Ronaldo go and signed someone as a starter.

As that is not happening I can sort of see the logic in Arnautovic as a third choice. He is very talented, experienced in this league, was in a fairly competitive league where he did well last year and is very different to what we have.

The moral stance I do agree with, I think Greenwood is an astounding player and never want to see him play for us again so if there is a story behind Arnautovic I definitely get the hesitation.

Siorac

I mean Ryan Giggs is still considered a United legend.....
I think a lot of people seriously soured on him as a person in the last decade - even before he was accused of actual crimes.

On the pitch, he remains a legend, if that makes sense. But I believe I'm not alone in saying that he shouldn't be anywhere near the club in any role.