Marko Arnautović | United have pulled out

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Called it

]
Incredible that Man Utd's supposedly enhanced background checks didn't anticipate this, eh?

Just like the list of 800 right backs that led to us buying Wan-Bissaka.

I'm not convinced anything this club briefs out is real. Its the Wizard of Oz. Behind the flashing lights and the spectacle there's nothing there.

RORY65

I can't imagine that's an actual reason... More a PR move/make good ("we're listening to you" type bullshit)
You're probably right but it certainly should have been a reason for this to have been a total non-starter in the first place.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That makes me worrying about our scouting even further. Surely one of the first things you should be scouting for a player is, is he a cnut, racist or criminal? It's not like he's an unknown quantity in the premier league!
Wouldn't read anything into that. Most likely just a generic reply from a random customer service employee rather than anyone from the hierarchy.

R'hllor

Meh, was really hopping for that high horse to die. Either way, United cant wash themself from it, the even fact that they went for it, that stain cant be removed for all kinds of reason.

mu4c_20le

That makes me worrying about our scouting even further. Surely one of the first things you should be scouting for a player is, is he a cnut, racist or criminal? It's not like he's an unknown quantity in the premier league!
Same club that signed Rojo while oblivious to his ongoing legal issues at the time? Say it ain't so!

RORY65

Understand these concerns but this seems a unique case given the racism.
Sure but we all knew about that and it was discussed within a minute of this rumour emerging, so why did they put in a bid without it being an issue? It's either incredibly bad background checks (not even checking his wikipedia) or a hope that people wouldn't care about that.

Highfather_24

Watch the club say now that we dont have any other options at CF after pulling out of Arnautovic deal.

ExoduS

Good that we are not signing this guy. Questionable character and not good enough for a top team. Just the fact we were linked with this guy is a bit embarrassing. City signed Haaland, Liverpool signed Nunes and we are over here after 33 year old dude who played in China recently.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sure but we all knew about that and it was discussed within a minute of this rumour emerging, so why did they put in a bid without it being an issue? It's either incredibly bad background checks (not even checking his wikipedia) or a hope that people wouldn't care about that.
Yeah we’re terribly run for sure.

EtH

It’s not always safe pulling out but in this case it was the only thing to do.

Infra-red

The club listened. They deserve some credit for that (even if their initial due diligence clearly failed them).

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
shocking situation and really bad look for all concerned at the club. Took 3 days of backlash on social media for club to see it

Its not good we are in this situation and it makes me worry about planning going forward. I realise its been bad before now but this one takes the biscuit

Chip

Brilliant. Can finally lock this nightmare of a thread.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The fact the board didn’t anticipate backlash for a number of reasons really is concerning.

Black Cell

Watch the club say now that we dont have any other options at CF after pulling out of Arnautovic deal.
Honestly, if this is the level of players they're aiming for i'd be happy with no incomings...just give one of the kids a shot...

Superunknown

United are pulling out if transfers due to fan complaints now?
And so they should, regarding this particular player.

It's shameful that we even thought about it in the first place. But, they've come to the right decision, at last. We move on.

Oranges038

Like banging someone you know you shouldn't, pulling out is the second best option.

The first one would have been not going there in the first place.

buchansleftleg

Look, I haven't come on here to defend the guy I just want some more information. I think Arnautovitch would be a bad signing due to his age and his history. Did he not used to play for Stoke (so not exactly a galatico!) and has he not also had a spell in China, which a player would normally only do when they know themselves that they have lost a yard of speed or the ability to last 90 mins in a top league....

But I don't understand all the racist arguments I'm reading on here, I really think that 'R' word is too often used these days and it is such an explosive one. For instance, if an Austrain abuses a North Macedonian (so basically two white men) is it racist? If I make a joke about a Scottish person, am I guilty of a racist joke? I don't think so.

Turning now to the other allegation, well I don't know the full details, but in December 2020 Cavani received a three game ban for using an 'n' word in an instagram post: “Gracias negrito” – Spanish for “thanks little black person”. Was the caf up in arm about that, did people want him drummed out of the club? I don't recall so.

Interestingly, I think Cavani felt he had been dealt with harshly due to the PL not understanding the nuances of slang terms made in other languages - did he think Manchester United should have shown him more support? (tricky as this was at the height of the BLM campaign) because he seemed to lose all motivation for the club, after that. So was the alleged racist incident from Arnautovitch years ago made in English, or not, because as the Cavani thing shows, the language of the language, really matters.

(Apologies, as I was typing this breaking news came through, but I will leave it up here because I'm still interested in what people think)
I get what you are trying to say but the key difference is "intent". Cavani was saying "thanks..." and used an anachronistic term as the second word. This word does have a different usage in some parts of the world and Cavani can claim some degree of ignorance about how a Direct translation of that term could be misinterpreted. He also felt he had been treated as harshly as those who had used such terms in a much more negative context.

As a older white male if I said "thanks blood" to a black man passing me my drink in a crowd it would be naff, uncomfortable, maybe a bit stereotyping but not outright offensive. However if I had been listing to a lot of rap music and said "Thanks my N....." then I would be totally in the wrong and would apologise. I could use the "cultural excuse" that I had been listening to rap music and used the term in an inappropriate way etc, but it still wouldn't excuse using the term.

Arnautovic used the N word on a number of occasions against opposition players to intimidate and belittle them. There are also cases of him hassling the women's players at West Ham and disrupting their training. Disrupting another teams training is definitely unprofessional and potentially threatening or predatory behaviour.

Will a future Ukraine vs Russia football game in a few years be a spicy affair with a lot of anger, taunts and tackles flying in...probably. But that is a different from intimidating and threatening players with racial taunts, It is racial hatred and should play no part in the modern game.

I'm relieved we seem to have pulled back from this moment of madness, but my god the club shouldn't be like a 4 year old at a bowling alley, needing the fans to act as some sort of moral conscience to keep them on the straight and narrow!

Iron Stove

Glazers' dream. Threaten to sign someone so bad that pulling out suddenly looks like the best piece of business of the transfer window.
It's perfect. Also we get rid of the deadwood before even signing it. Another win for the new new era where everything is different, promise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its funny because I genuinely think the same backlash would be there without the racism. At his peak he was a problematic mid table player, never a top player, not some experienced guy who can give advice or character to a young team like Ibra. He's literally a mediocre player past his best and it would be a farcical signing. The racism and cnutish behavior is the cherry on top, but thankfully we pulled out. Some fecking background checks we run.

Newtonius

Question is though... whos lower on the list than Arnaoutovic?

Its funny because I genuinely think the same backlash would be there without the racism. At his peak he was a problematic mid table player, never a top player, not some experienced guy who can give advice or character to a young team like Ibra. He's literally a mediocre player past his best and it would be a farcical signing. The racism and cnutish behavior is the cherry on top, but thankfully we pulled out. Some fecking background checks we run.
Its obviously irrelevant for most people they still shit on Rashford despite his charity work or how many complaints did Mata receive despite being an absolute gentleman