Marko Arnautović | United have pulled out

OverratedOpinion

Can’t understand why we’re not going for Memphis over Arnautovic :houllier:

I can only imagine Memphis would not want to sign for us for the role we would offer him.

Firstly he probably has bad memories of his time here and secondly he probably wants to go somewhere where he would start.

For all we know, we have enquired and been rebuffed.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Can’t understand why we’re not going for Memphis over Arnautovic :houllier:

I was turning my nose up at getting Depay last week but I'd get him right now if it means that racist pos doesn't play for United.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, there are a lot of stories from his early career (borrowing Eto'os car and crashing it; joining Werder Bremen with CL winner boots without playing a minute or also a funny story with policemen in Vienna. This was all 10 years and longer ago. He grew as a person over the last few years, is now the most consistent performer in our national team over the last 10 years and he is in the top 3 in terms of popularity in Austria (next to Alaba and Hinteregger, who retired and is also a "special" character). On his good days he can make the difference for Austria and Bologna. However, I think he is not good enough to spend ~10m and we should look at other targets.
He's a cnut, mate. There's no two ways about it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I just think idiots say things…but often don’t actually have “racist” views …they just spout the most inflammatory language they can when trying to offend. They are not out there trying to degrade or harm a person solely because of their hatred for that race of people…they are trying to offend that specific person in any way possible. I think it’s also a slippery slope to label people racists for a lack of education or exposure. I Have a fair bit of first hand experience of this stuff unfortunately. Been subjected to some quite awful stuff growing up and in the early part of my career.

In saying that now if it turns out he is a closet white supremacist then I’m out with the pitch fork!
What bullshit

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the Austrians have slightly different take on racism than most Northern Europeans anyway.

E.g.

And yes, it means what you think it does.

DiMaria

I thought someone was trolling on some watch along on YouTube when they mentioned Arnautovic, but it’s true????? What the actual…The guy is 33 and would struggle to start for Brentford yet here we are on a summer when we were supposed to be rebuilding and supporting our new manager. Our rivals (ex rivals at this point) get haaland Darwin Jesus and sterling, while we are bidding for arnautovic and even getting rejected what a joke we have become. #glazersout

Strootman's Finger

What happened with that Kalajdzic guy? Similar price to Arnautovic but is younger, looks more promising and isn't Arnautovic

Crimson King

The best thing I can say about this news, is that I suddenly appreciate Toney and Belotti as players a lot more than I did on Saturday.

Abraxas

I actually thought he was a right handful when we came up against him in the PL. He's a big, big lump and he wasn't slow back then. He'd wind you up and definitely had ability. He's not a natural goalscorer and I wonder how much he has lost having played in China and midtable Serie A clubs?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He isn't very good. I'd take Arnautovic before him. In the short term at least, which is stupid anyway.
That seems to be the case for the national team, but I wouldn't necessarily say that at club level.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Like mentioned before I am against signing him because of sporting reasons and the lack of ambition it shows.

However, he surely is no racist. A bit simple minded and intellectually not the brightest, but e.g. Alaba is a good friend of his and I believe spoke out how ridiculous it is to call him a racist. Also he talked about being subject of racism himself.

mancan92

Like mentioned before I am against signing him because of sporting reasons and the lack of ambition it shows.

However, he surely is no racist. A bit simple minded and intellectually not the brightest, but e.g. Alaba is a good friend of his and I believe spoke out how ridiculous it is to call him a racist. Also he talked about being subject of racism himself.
Smacks of but I have a black friend nonsense.

OverratedOpinion

Oh he has black friends?

Case settled, can't be racist.

Godfather

That seems to be the case for the national team, but I wouldn't necessarily say that at club level.
I agree but I don't see Kalajdzic making it at a top club and Arnautovic could at least have his moments here... I'd prefer a younger striker anyway but someone with the potential to make it here. I wonder why we aren't trying with Depay again.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
David
Depay
Nkunku
Zaniolo
evanilson
Isak
Schick

Why oh why only this guy?

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
If he scores a few goals, most fans will be fine.

Barca fans happily supported and cheered for Luis Suarez, didn't they?

David
Depay
Nkunku
Zaniolo
evanilson
Isak
Schick

Ten Hag is the kinda guy who buys his own hype in regards to philosophy. He clearly has an inclination to bring in players who he has worked with before. He knows Marko well I guess.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Unfortunately I can't imagine who in the hierarchy would have even suggested Arnautovic other than ETH, pulling from his experience with his old players. I just can't see why he would be considered as a possibility for us if not for his old link with our manager. Which is a fluttering red flag that I'm choosing to ignore for now.
Yeah - you're absolutely right.

But I suppose we just have to ignore it, write it off as "first window weirdness" - and then hope that the actual (new) direction of the club amounts to something else: namely that the manager no longer picks targets who are then pursued by the club, but rather that the manager is presented with targets who are in line with the club's overall transfer policy - and then either approves or vetoes them (to some degree - he should have a voice but definitely not the final word).

dove

Can't remember the last time our fanbase was so united against signing someone. Even the likes of Ighalo had a mixed support if I remember correctly, nowhere near as negative as this one.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I dunno what degree of mickey there is in your post - but just in case: Luis Suarez was an undoubted world class player at the time.

Our target is a pretty mediocre player who also happens to have a bit of a problem with using "unfortunate" language in public.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree but I don't see Kalajdzic making it at a top club and Arnautovic could at least have his moments here... I'd prefer a younger striker anyway but someone with the potential to make it here. I wonder why we aren't trying with Depay again.
Actually I'd say that due to his height alone Kalajdzic could be interesting for a lot of teams beyond his overall skill level, as sort of a plan b role player.

Strootman's Finger

If he scores a few goals, most fans will be fine.

Ten Hag is the kinda guy who buys his own hype in regards to philosophy. He clearly has an inclination to bring in players who he has worked with before. He knows Marko well I guess.
But that was Luis Suarez, this is Arnautovic, a player most United fans wouldn't have taken at his peak.

Godfather

Actually I'd say that due to his height alone Kalajdzic could be interesting for a lot of teams beyond his overall skill level, as sort of a plan b role player.
Well yeah but not for top clubs he lacks in so many other areas. Also: Arnautovic is a pretty big unit himself and can actually control a football unlike Kalajdzic. If I had to choose I'd take Arnautovic but both are depressing options. The Arnautovic of 10 years ago with a bit more brain would have been a good option but now... 33 year old, man that's so uninspiring.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Wasn't Arnautovic linked to United when Jose was manager? I might be wrong....

I dunno what degree of mickey there is in your post - but just in case: Luis Suarez was an undoubted world class player at the time.

Our target is a pretty mediocre player who also happens to have a bit of a problem with using "unfortunate" language in public.
I understand that but the thing is that this seems like a very Ten Hag signing to me. So I guess even if it's a problematic person, the fans might have to tolerate that for a season or two.

But that was Luis Suarez, this is Arnautovic, a player most United fans wouldn't have taken at his peak.
Totally but I think you're buying this guy as a plan B kinda player. The level at United are currently operating, Arnautovic isn't that unbelievable as a plan B off the bench.

Sure, it's not the signing that gets people excited one bit but I think this is where United are at this present moment in time.

I drew the comparison because both seem like problematic human beings.

mancan92

There's is no defending this. If United do buy him then everything they tried to promote in the last couple of years in terms of race relations will look like the absolute marketing hype that it was. What utter crap.

Gandalf

David
Depay
Nkunku
Zaniolo
evanilson
Isak
Schick

Presumably it is money as in we don't have very much and cannot actually afford anyone in the 30M+ range, kind of fits with what we were told about transfer budgets for this summer but still sickening when you look at Chelsea and Arsenal once again blowing fortunes whilst we are off at the discount store.

If it is money there are still better alternatives. I would rather Belotti for example who is available on a free and is 5 years younger with a decent goal scoring record in Serie A. Not going to pull up any trees but he is hard working and would definitely press and can finish and I am not convinced Arnautovic can do any of those things at this point in his career.

buchansleftleg

I mean Ryan Giggs is still considered a United legend.....
Not by me...he's pissed all over his reputation as far as I'm concerned. Given there has also been talk of complaints about Arnautovic by the Womens' team at West Ham.....it would be perfectly timed to piss off the United Womens's team players who just won the Euro's - what an absolute farce this club has become.

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

Can only think we have a pre agreement with someone like Nkunku for next year. Otherwise this makes zero sense.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Was also linked before we ended up with Ighalo
WTF happens in our so-called recruitment department? I'd love an expose.

I'm starting to believe the Milinkovic Savic rumours are true cos it seems like, regardless of who the coach is, we stick to the same targets year after year without any clue of how they might fit a coherent strategy. If we are going after Arnautovic because, years ago, we watched him at West Ham...

Do we ever update the mythical list that we supposed watch players on? Why are we constantly going back to the same targets? Who is identifying these targets? I'm so baffled.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Why are some people neglecting the possibility that Ten Hagg wants Arnautovic? We’ve been following this transfer targets all summer - don’t see why that would change now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think the Austrians have slightly different take on racism than most Northern Europeans anyway.

E.g.

And yes, it means what you think it does.
I vaguely remember reading something about that - they had a poll of some kind, didn't they? For or against a logo change.

The logo is remarkably ugly - I mean, it looks like shit even if you don't factor in the obvious.