Marko Arnautovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

Mandzukic has played and performed at a higher level though, so no idea why you are comparing him to Arnautovic.

Therefore, I ask again, why should a club like Manchester United sign average as feck players?
Do you grasp what back up is?

I guess every signing Fergie made was world class. I guess every signing Klopp, Conte, Potchetinno or Guardiola make is world class.

Arnautovic is currently a better option to have up front than Rashford.

If we get him or Mandzukic for a decent fee then that is fine. Not every signing we going to make this summer is going to be world class you know. People were hyping on about the world class Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger and even Sanchez. None of them convinced or have done so far in the case of Sanchez.

Devil may care

He's older than I thought but the idea of him as a back-up doesn't make sense, for starters how the feck is Rashford ever going to develop as a striker if he doesn't even get the few non Lukaku games? On top of that Arnautovic is a fanny who needs coddling, his ego isn't going to fancy the bench for every weekend bar the odd game Lukaku doesn't play, and he is crap on the wing.

el3mel

He's older than I thought but the idea of him as a back-up doesn't make sense, for starters how the feck is Rashford ever going to develop as a striker if he doesn't even get the few non Lukaku games? On top of that Arnautovic is a fanny who needs coddling, his ego isn't going to fancy the bench for every weekend bar the odd game Lukaku doesn't play, and he is crap on the wing.
Rashford is our worst option as striker. He should stay away from it as much as possible. It's not why I don't want Arnautovic, it's because he's average at best and doesn't make sense to get rid of Fellaini to replace him with this. We should get a young backup striker as when we got Chicharito

Mainoldo

Fergie would make this signing work. But this correct squad... would cause too much unrest and he’s bang average.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Arnautovic's record off the bench last five seasons:

2013/14: sub appearances: 6, minutes: 180, goals: 0, assists: 0 (Borussia Monchengladbach (a), Saarbrucken (a), Man City (h), Palace (a), Sunderland (a), Stoke (a))
2014/15: sub appearances: 10, minutes: 278, goals: 0, assists: 0 (oppo: QPR (a), Newcastle (h), Southampton (a), Burnley (h), Man Utd (a), Palace (a), Everton (h), West Brom (a), Chelsea (a), Portsmouth (h))
2015/16: sub appearances: 2, minutes: 36, goals: 0, assists: 0 (oppo: West Brom (h), Fulham (a))
2016/17: N/A
2017/18: sub appearances: 6, minutes: 142, goals: 0, assists: 0 (oppo: West Brom (a), Liverpool (h), City (a), Shrewsbury (h), Spurs (a), Arsenal (a))
Total: sub appearances: 24, minutes: 636, goals: 0, assists: 0

Fellaini's record off the bench last five seasons:

2013/14: sub appearances: 6, minutes: 125, goals: 1, assists: 0 (oppo scored/assisted against: Stevenage (h))
2014/15: sub appearances: 8, minutes: 200, goals: 2, assists: 0 (oppo scored/assisted against: West Brom (a), QPR (a))
2015/16: sub appearances: 11, minutes: 239, goals: 1, assists: 0 (oppo scored/assisted against: Brugge (h))
2016/17: sub appearances: 19, minutes: 325, goals: 1, assists: 1 (oppo scored/assisted against: Anderlecht (h), Hull City (h))
2017/18: sub appearances: 16, minutes: 301, goals: 3, assists: 1 (oppo scored/assisted against: Basel (h), Leicester (h), Arsenal (h))
Total: sub appearances: 60, minutes: 1190, goals: 8, assists: 2

If he's seen as the 'Fellaini role' replacement then his record off the bench isn't great. He might be better as a starter but I think we could do better, plus from his stats he mostly plays on the left or up front - both are areas we're sorted in in terms of starters (i.e. Sanchez and Lukaku aren't going to be shifted).

Devil may care

Rashford is our worst option as striker. He should stay away from it as much as possible. It's not why I don't want Arnautovic, it's because he's average at best and doesn't make sense to get rid of Fellaini to replace him with this. We should get a young backup striker as when we got Chicharito
So what exactly are we going to do with Rashford then? He sure as feck isn't a winger or wide forward, he's just filling in minutes out there. Rashford would be fine as a striker if we had a properly coached attacking unit rather than the long ball approach all of the time.

el3mel

So what exactly are we going to do with Rashford then? He sure as feck isn't a winger or wide forward, he's just filling in minutes out there. Rashford would be fine as a striker if we had a properly coached attacking unit rather than the long ball approach all of the time.
This point will only work if we're talking about someone like Martial, but Rashford is just a terrible striker in general, selfish, thinks only about himself, can't hold the ball, doesn't link with anyone due to his selfishness and average finishing. He only has pace that's it. Martial links well and holds the ball pretty fine, also his finishing is better. If we want to develop someone at striker position from both then can't be anyone except Martial. Rashford hasn't shown anything that proves he has any qualities to be a striker. As long as he's here, he should stick around playing as a sub on the flanks when we want some pace by the end of the game.

Saf94

So fecking frustrating. The scousers who already have a better attack are trying to sign Fekir and we’re trying to sign Arnautovic. Good times.
Everyone said this same shit when we were linked with Mane. How many players have Liverpool signed from mid table clubs who have become amazing. They’re linked with like 1 big name in the whole Klopp era and apparently we’re way behind them now?

If anything Liverpool are the ultimate proof it’s not all about big names, sold Coutinho and actually got better, signed one of the best left backs in the league from Hull City

Devil may care

This point will only work if we're talking about someone like Martial, but Rashford is just a terrible striker in general, selfish, thinks only about himself, can't hold the ball, doesn't link with anyone due to his selfishness and average finishing. He only has pace that's it. Martial links well and holds the ball pretty fine, also his finishing is better. If we want to develop someone at striker position from both then can't be anyone except Martial. Rashford hasn't shown anything that proves he has any qualities to be a striker. As long as he's here, he should stick around playing as a sub on the flanks when we want some pace by the end of the game.
Wow....It's not often I don't have a response, but in this case I don't, I agree Martial is the superior player but he's as good as gone anyway so I don't factor him into anything, other than that, you're entitled to your opinion dude.

el3mel

Wow....It's not often I don't have a response, but in this case I don't, I agree Martial is the superior player but he's as good as gone anyway so I don't factor him into anything, other than that, you're entitled to your opinion dude.
Ok. :D

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Take a look at that list, the league's 25 top scorers. We have two players in it, Lukaku and Sanchez. Only one actually as Sanchez's goals at Arsenal are counted. Scoff at Arnautovic but he's there with 11 goals and 6 assists. Ahead of Sanchez and won't cost massive amounts of money. Also doesn't hinder youth long term as he's 29. The Perisic of this window.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If he's seen as the 'Fellaini role' replacement then his record off the bench isn't great. He might be better as a starter but I think we could do better, plus from his stats he mostly plays on the left or up front - both are areas we're sorted in in terms of starters (i.e. Sanchez and Lukaku aren't going to be shifted).
Arnautovic played for Stoke and West Ham, Fellaini for United, we need to take that into consideration too.

I like Arnautovic, think he's a good player, and will be a good backup option.
It's late in his career, and i'm sure he'd do well if he got the chance at a top team, with the chance of playing in the CL aswell. Alot better player than Fellaini, but so am i, and my grand mother.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Take a look at that list, the league's 25 top scorers. We have two players in it, Lukaku and Sanchez. Only one actually as Sanchez's goals at Arsenal are counted. Scoff at Arnautovic but he's there with 11 goals and 6 assists. Ahead of Sanchez and won't cost massive amounts of money. Also doesn't hinder youth long term as he's 29. The Perisic of this window.
He mostly played up top or on the left and as West Ham signed him for £20M rising to £25M, they'd probably be looking at £35M for him. That is my issue that we're looking to sign another player who wants to play up top or on the left, and if he's a sub his record off the bench is pretty shocking. Would be a pretty expensive backup.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
He mostly played up top or on the left and as West Ham signed him for £20M rising to £25M, they'd probably be looking at £35M for him. That is my issue that we're looking to sign another player who wants to play up top or on the left, and if he's a sub his record off the bench is pretty shocking. Would be a pretty expensive backup.
I think it might be a matter of Jose wanting him for specific reasons. Might see a role beyond rotation. Could do better in that regard but also the squad needs so many additions they can't all be world class and he knows (or thinks he does) what he's getting here having worked with him before. As for that situation with left sided attackers, I could see him playing second striker to Lukaku. Might even be passable on the right for a top class team too.

I'd rather someone else too but I wouldn't be overly concerned if this were true. I would change that opinion if the rest of the signings were of equal status (mostly the backline).

Camilo

He'd be great here. Plenty of ability, but proper belief and confidence too. There'd of course be the risk that he'd just act like he'd made it (because of course, he would have) and would lose his edge.. But he doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. I think he'd do very well. He'd have to force his way out though.

Saf94

I don’t see why he couldn’t play on the right wing, he seems pretty comfortable with both feet and would more than likely do a Lingard type role where he doesn’t stay on the wing but comes more central, except instead of moving to the no 10 area he’d probably try to get into the box or in behind the defence and get on the end of chances.

Honestly in terms of style that’s exactly what we need, in terms of quality I don’t know, but in terms of style it would be a great fit.

In Rainbows

Who were our striker options in the last years of Fergie? Chicha, Welback, RVP, Rooney, Owen, and Berbatov. Presence is overrated. The tallest guy in Berbatov was the most technically gifted of the lot.

Just give minutes to Martial, but don't expect him to play like Fellaini. They don't all need to fit a single way of playing if Lukaku is missing.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
They don't all need to fit a single way of playing if Lukaku is missing.
They do if you want consistency in performance coming from rotation players being able to fit into the same system as if nothing had changed dramatically.

Womp

idiot
The question is more that our cheque-book manager doesn't know any other way to play football? Sign big-man up front, lump ball forward, hope.
Except Tottenham and Liverpool both played more longballs than us last season, yet are considered great attacking teams. We might not be the best attacking unit by any standards, but this nonsense that all we play is hoofball needs to stop.

ti vu

Who were our striker options in the last years of Fergie? Chicha, Welback, RVP, Rooney, Owen, and Berbatov. Presence is overrated. The tallest guy in Berbatov was the most technically gifted of the lot.

Just give minutes to Martial, but don't expect him to play like Fellaini. They don't all need to fit a single way of playing if Lukaku is missing.
Presence is just not height. It's the know how to position and use your body, a style of play. Saha is shortrt but better aerially and more presence than Berbatov ever was. Rashford & Martiak have good physique but both lack the know how to utilize their raw attribute for the role. They play like SS and not occupy opposition defender enough centrally.

Welbeck and RVp definitely have the presence playing up top. They're not the type for going for every ball aerial ball, but quite handful for opposition to contain.

Irrational.

I'm not a fan. He's one of those arrogant players who thinks he's better than he is. Then again this could be another smokescreen.

In Rainbows

Presence is just not height. It's the know how to position and use your body, a style of play. Saha is shortrt but better aerially and more presence than Berbatov ever was. Rashford & Martiak have good physique but both lack the know how to utilize their raw attribute for the role. They play like SS and not occupy opposition defender enough centrally.

Welbeck and RVp definitely have the presence playing up top. They're not the type for going for every ball aerial ball, but quite handful for opposition to contain.
I like Martial's ability to hold the ball up though. He's not good in the air to win balls, but give it to him on the ground with a defender on his back and he can bring others into play.

ti vu

I like Martial's ability to hold the ball up though. He's not good in the air to win balls, but give it to him on the ground with a defender on his back and he can bring others into play.
He is good at hold up play, but not type who would draw defenders attention toward him without the the ball and create opening for his teammates. He plays more like a supporting forward than a forward leading the line. He doesn't compete enough inside the box. This includes low ball across the face of defensive line. Rarely he tries to outpace the defenders and cut across them. The type of run Benzema does to open space for other player like Ronaldo if he is not the one at the end of the pass. Martial mostly looks for a cut back from the passer (area supposed for SS and no 10), even though he led the line. I am talking even bout the games under LVG as central forward. This

RC89

You need these 'average' players for the squad. While I'm not a Jose apologist and disagree with a lot of what he says, it is true that given the football he employs if Lukaku is out we don't really have anyone upfront to make his tactics work.

maniwin

Loan him till he learn how to play with his brain , guy is literally the biggest pace merchant in the league.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Nail on the head. He strikes me as a classic Jose type player.
Or someone like Icardi if we could ever get him. Tough and unpredictable. This signing makes a lot of sense, he’s proven in the league and not over reliant on pace, he makes things happen and could potentially thrive on the much bigger stage. All the same We surely would have went for him last season if we were genuinely interested?

Ekeke

He's a tricky player who can cause problems, I do think he deserves a chance at a much better club than Stoke and West Ham but I'm not sure it should be us. That said I do think he'd be able to do a job for us as a backup when selected. Both able to get a goal and create for a teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.