Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Fellaini is an awful player and I would be very surprised if Van Gaal did anything but kick him straight out the door.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is all I could really pull out - to be fair. You'd think at that age at Chelsea he'd be on a decent wage? Not to sure on that one. Even speculating.
Every player is on a decent wage these days. However it would be foolish to give someone like Obi a salary of a regular first team player. Chelsea has been assessing the guy since he was 18 and we can safely assume that they know what his worth is.

Shark

@NotShark
Fellaini is an awful player and I would be very surprised if Van Gaal did anything but kick him straight out the door.
His only defense and a fair one at that, is the fact that he's only been here for as single season. There's players that have been equally as poor if not worse that have tagged on for years. Anderson is an obvious one and Nani who has been anything but good for three years now.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
His only defense and a fair one at that, is the fact that he's only been here for as single season. There's players that have been equally as poor if not worse that have tagged on for years. Anderson is an obvious one and Nani who has been anything but good for three years now.
True to an extent but at least you could argue that they joined as very talented youngsters so were always likely to be given time. They have been given too much time now, though. Fellaini joined when he was 26 and it was clear early on that it was a poor purchase, really. He's not a good enough player for the club.

mu4c_20le

The difference is that those players you speak of have all shown some kind of quality to justify their potential, even the likes of Anderson and Young (pre-Van Gaal) and Valencia. The only thing Fellaini has shown so far is how far he is out of his depth here. The only other player I can remember that showed this was Dong Fangzhuo, and even he showed glimpses of quality at Antwerp. Fellaini has shown absolutely nothing. We're not even sure what his best position is, because apparently it seems to be behind the striker. Are we willing to drop Mata, Kagawa, Rooney and Januzaj from that position just so Fellaini can play his best?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Fellaini has only had 12 league starts with the club so far that is it. I never seen a player get written off as quickly as he has. I never wanted him here and I thought he was an overrated player when he was at Everton but, people have gone too far over the top with the criticism for him. He is proven to be a good player in this league and while he will most likely never be a top class player for us he could still do a job here. He is a much better footballer then people give him credit for here. But, I think since people will always associate him with Moyes so will not give him a fair shake.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Fellaini has only had 12 league starts with the club so far that is it. I never seen a player get written off as quickly as he has. I never wanted him here and I thought he was an overrated player when he was at Everton but, people have gone too far over the top with the criticism for him. He is proven to be a good player in this league and while he will most likely never be a top class player for us he could still do a job here. He is a much better footballer then people give him credit for here. But, I think since people will always associate him with Moyes so will not give him a fair shake.
I struggle to understand this line of thought TBF.

Admittedly he's an average "does a job" kind of player right ? How much do average players cost ? About 15 million in the open market. How much are their wages ? 60-70k per week right ?

In knowing that does it make sense to pay Marouane over 120k per week for the duration of his contract ? Why not cut our losses, sell him now even if it's only 15 million and take the hit - it's dead money anyway and will never be recovered. That could be used to buy a good, versatile, technically proficient squad player who's better suited to Van Gaal's system and is significantly cost effective or an upcoming talented youngster.

Doesn't that alternative make more sense instead of just shoving the square peg into a round hole when as you said he will never be anything more than a stopgap for us ?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I struggle to understand this line of thought TBF.

Admittedly he's an average "does a job" kind of player right ? How much do average players cost ? About 15 million in the open market. How much are their wages ? 60-70k per week right ?

In knowing that does it make sense to pay Marouane over 120k per week for the duration of his contract ? Why not cut our losses, sell him now even if it's only 15 million and take the hit - it's dead money anyway and will never be recovered. That could be used to buy a good, versatile, technically proficient squad player who's better suited to Van Gaal's system and is significantly cost effective or an upcoming talented youngster.

Doesn't that alternative make more sense instead of just shoving the square peg into a round hole when as you said he will never be anything more than a stopgap for us ?
That would be an ideal situation if we were able to bring in another quality midfielder. It looks like we will not this summer and if the choice is either bringing in someone like De Jong or keeping Marouane we should just keep Fellaini.

ravi2

That would be an ideal situation if we were able to bring in another quality midfielder. It looks like we will not this summer and if the choice is either bringing in someone like De Jong or keeping Marouane we should just keep Fellaini.
I would take De Jong over Fellaini anytime, in fact if we want a budget CDM, Id take Gareth Barry or Scott Parker over him any day of the week.

Nuts

I would take De Jong over Fellaini anytime, in fact if we want a budget CDM, Id take Gareth Barry or Scott Parker over him any day of the week.
You'd take either of those two, who are considered past it for England duty and in their mid 30's over Fellaini?

ravi2

You'd take either of those two, who are considered past it for England duty and in their mid 30's over Fellaini?
Yes, but Id probably take pretty much any reserve/youth team member who showed promise over Fellaini as well.
He is useless to us.

Eriksen

Scott Parker had a great season for us but he's way past it now. No way is he better than Fellaini.

ravi2

Scott Parker had a great season for us but he's way past it now. No way is he better than Fellaini.
We can agree to disagree.
I believe if asked to play the CDM role, he would be better for us than Fellaini.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Barry should have went to the WC to be fair

jason93

No they weren't. They were supporting him at the stadium, but out of there most people wanted him out.
That's rubbish. The majority of United fans wanted David Moyes to stay. If you wanted him out (like me), you were considered a "plastic" or whatever term they decided to throw around to flash their superiority over us.

Those same fans now want Fellaini out because he reminds them of Moyes. Funny that.

Robbie Boy

That's rubbish. The majority of United fans wanted David Moyes to stay. If you wanted him out (like me), you were considered a "plastic" or whatever term they decided to throw around to flash their superiority over us.

Those same fans now want Fellaini out because he reminds them of Moyes. Funny that.
The 'majority' certainly didn't want him to stay. Look at the reactions in the thread on here when it was announced he was leaving. He seemed to have a section of support at OT, but any United fans I know, wanted him out as did most on here.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

You're mistaking the supporters being brilliant supporters in a stadium environment and actually supporting David Moyes.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Of course most of us wanted him to stay. No one wants the manager to fail. But almost everyone had a threshold wherein the lack of performances, cohesion and results would be tolerated. Personally never wanted him at United just like Marouane but still supported him up until that Olympiakos match where he proved once and for all that he was fundamentally out of his depth and no amount of time would remedy that. Just like Fellaini highlighted his utter incompetence vs Bayern and Liverpool. There's no turning back now. I'm sorry but dude has to go so we can finally exorcise the demons of last season.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
One of the worst transfers done by any club, David Moyes really lost the plot at United last season. Not only does he get £10 million for doing only 1 years work which i dont even think he did any work he was that bad but he splashed £27.5 million on this clown and now he is stuck here on huge wages for such a mediocre player.

I really dont think Van Gaal even needs to see him in action to know that he wont be in his plans. Has he played any pre season games yet or anything?

ThanksBoss26

One of the worst transfers done by any club, David Moyes really lost the plot at United last season. Not only does he get £10 million for doing only 1 years work which i dont even think he did any work he was that bad but he splashed £27.5 million on this clown and now he is stuck here on huge wages for such a mediocre player.

I really dont think Van Gaal even needs to see him in action to know that he wont be in his plans. Has he played any pre season games yet or anything?
Not yet. Don't know if he's in the squad for tomorrow. He might be because I can't see the lads due to be playing Saturday playing a full game tomorrow.

ravi2

Of course most of us wanted him to stay. No one wants the manager to fail. But almost everyone had a threshold wherein the lack of performances, cohesion and results would be tolerated. Personally never wanted him at United just like Marouane but still supported him up until that Olympiakos match where he proved once and for all that he was fundamentally out of his depth and no amount of time would remedy that. Just like Fellaini highlighted his utter incompetence vs Bayern and Liverpool. There's no turning back now. I'm sorry but dude has to go so we can finally exorcise the demons of last season.

I know not one real fan that wanted Moyes to stay after that Fulham game.
Even the most strident of Moyes supporters lost faith after that.

I wanted to support him because SAF said so but the results and play on the pitch did him in.

dirkey

I think we have pretty differing views on that so because I remember quite a lot of people wanting Moyes out. Yes, people who said that (me too) were derided by some people, and called plastic etc. However, I certainly feel there were more people in the same bracket as us.

I also don't think the majority of people want Fellaini out because he reminds them of Moyes. Yes, some do. But the majority want him out because they just don't feel he can suit the decent style of play that most of us want to see. Nothing to do with Moyes, if that was the case, the same people would want Mata out because he reminds them of Moyes.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I know not one real fan that wanted Moyes to stay after that Fulham game.
Even the most strident of Moyes supporters lost faith after that.

I wanted to support him because SAF said so but the results and play on the pitch did him in.
Come on now. That's not entirely accurate. Infact you'll find plenty of Redcafe members who supported him even beyond that. I mean sure we were running out of excuses but still some form of residual faith was there beyond that game. Maybe it was just a romantic notion. But for me personally Olympiakos was the nadir instead of Fulham.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-is-there-anyone-left-supporting-moyes.386520/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/when-did-you-lose-all-faith-in-moyes.385713/

It's no reason to define some as the "real" fans. Different people allowed him varying degrees of latitude.

EDIT : jason93 band ? :eek:

ravi2

Come on now. That's not entirely accurate. Infact you'll find plenty of Redcafe members who supported him even beyond that. I mean sure we were running out of excuses but still some form of residual faith was there beyond that game. Maybe it was just a romantic notion. But for me personally Olympiakos was the nadir instead of Fulham.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-is-there-anyone-left-supporting-moyes.386520/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/when-did-you-lose-all-faith-in-moyes.385713/

It's no reason to define some as the "real" fans. Different people allowed him varying degrees of latitude.

EDIT : jason93 band ? :eek:
Not a second too soon, his posts were terrible.

Red Phoenix Rising

My goodness, get a grip. 'One of the worst transfers done by a any club'?

Who cares what wages he's on? The club is not cash strapped and can afford to sign for/retain a competitive wage structure with or without him on the books. This seems like a pointless thing to moan over - it makes no difference to the support of the fans whatsoever.

He was given a rest period after going to the latter stages of the World Cup. Judgement day will come against Valencia but the word is he has been training at Carrington with Januzaj and Marcel Bout.
Not a second too soon, his posts were terrible.
Rich.

Gannicus

For me, Moyes was on life support after the Fellaini transfer. It wreaked not only of desperation, which it was, but utter cluelessness.

As for when Moyes went flatline as far as I'm concerned, it was the defeat to West Brom. We've gone to small teams in the past, but it was obvious then that his management was beyond all belief.

But nothing could top the Fulham match. In particular, his words to Januzaj whose very first touch on the ball when he come on was a cross. By then, Moyes was in full rigor mortis.

Superpolfcb

Fellaini hasn't been told by Van Gaal that he has to leave (yet?).
At least that's what people close to him (family or manager most probably) have told a Belgian newspaper.

He expects to get some minutes against Valencia to prove himself.
They also add that there's still interest from Napoli but no club has made direct contact with Man Utd.

Red Phoenix Rising

At least that's what people close to him (family or manager most probably) have told a Belgian newspaper.

They also add that there's still interest from Napoli but no club has made direct contact with Man Utd.
Seems pretty sensible, I hope for his own sake that he takes that chance against Valencia.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.

Not likely to play according to van Gaal

I hope we never have to see him play for United again.

Status
Not open for further replies.