Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
We've paid £4.5m more than we needed to, which could have been spent on Herrera. It's a feckup of mind boggling proportions.
The only thing I can think is that we had a gentleman's agreement not to activate that clause. I thought it when it first expired. They let Moyes leave early.

If not.. :houllier:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I am delighted we have Fellaini at the club though, a fantastic addition to the squad and Im sure he will do very well, given how well Moyes knows him. Hope we give him the no 7 Shirt, have a feeling he will quickly become a cult figure.

Frustration is that we need more than just him, but thats not his fault, nor is the price we ended up paying for him. Anyways, I dot care what we paid for him, the club finances don't interest me at all, and anyways, we should have loads of money, I spent enough in the MegaStore last week, so they can use some of that cash of mine!

Siorac

We've paid £4.5m more than we needed to, which could have been spent on Herrera. It's a feckup of mind boggling proportions.
That's about €6m - according to the reports, that was the difference between our offer for Herrera and his release clause.

Whatever way you're looking at it, it's a disaster.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Very happy to have him, Would have loved him and Hererra btu of the two i'd have chose him. Better record in our league, more international experience, bigger and more physical and much better technically than he gets credit for.

I think Hererra is a talent but not the foremost in Spain and due to his nationality and size people are over-rating him when comparing the two.

Think Fellaini will do really well for us!

Skywarden

There was a quote from Eveerton a month back when we made our first 'derisory' bid that accused Moyes of not abiding by 'an understanding' he had with Kenwright. I think that Moyes had a gentleman's agreement in place When he left Everton that he would not exploit any contract loopholes. I can also see Manchester United respecting such an agreement, as we already have a long standing goo relationship with Everton.

That can be the only reason why we did not exploit Fellaini's release clause. Else it makes no sense to pay more and leave the deal til the final hours of the transfer window

This is a fair point.

forevrared

Still not a peep from United. First class performance on all fronts from the club tonight. :houllier:

Mister Ed

When did people become so obsessed with what we did or didn't pay?

Welcome to the best club in the world Mr Fellaini.
I don't care about the £4m, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

But it is proof of the fact Moyes and Woodward are completely inadequate in doing normal sensible business. If they wanted Fellaini, why didn't they get him a few months earlier and paid £4m less ?

Why oh why, do we say we try to bring in the best players at the club, yet when the best nr10 in the world becomes avaible we let him go to Arsenal on the cheap....

It is bad planning and it is bad negotiating and it is even worse decisionmaking !

I really thought this club was better than this..... clearly in the hands of Woodward and Moyes, it isn't anymore, which is worrying !

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
a) who cares if he wasn't first choice apart from him, and seeing as he handed in a transfer request it doesn't seem to have bothered him.

C'mon Pops, the fact that we've paid nearly 5 million more for a guy who we'd have been better off signing a month ago (not just because of price but we could've used him) makes us looks like feckwits.

Perhaps we should separate the discussion about Fellaini as a player and the way we've handled this transfer and those who are running the club.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He'll make us so much more solid in the middle, and I could see him complimenting Carrick perfectly especially against top sides or away from home.

Ignoring the fee, its a good transfer. We needed a centre mid more than anything else and Fellaini will instantly become the second best at the club. It's a shame we didn't have him for Pool because we could have really used him in that game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Moyes is our manager. Fellani is our player. For fecks sake.
No problem with either but, imagine costing your employer over £4m by trying to be a clever dick and being exposed as an imbecile.

Woodward has to go surely?

We could have had Fellaini in time for pre-season and saved enough money to pay his wages for a couple of years. The way we've done it, it would have looked less embarassing not to sign him at all.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
How slow is our official website / Twitter account? :houllier:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
There is obviously a reason why we did not sign Fellaini a month before for £23m, probably as I and others have said above, that Moyes had agreed not to when he left Everton. Im sure we'll find out in the coming days and also sure its not incompetence from the club!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
At the end of the day, literally, we've signed a centre mid which is beyond comprehension. Happy enough, but it's been a shambles from start to finish.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
There is obviously a reason why we did not sign Fellaini a month before for £23m, probably as I and others have said above, that Moyes had agreed not to when he left Everton. Im sure we'll find out in the coming days and also sure its not incompetence from the club!
agree. Fellani had to make a transfer request for Everton to sell him.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think the reason is that we were after other targets, or else we never intended to pay over £23million in which case the clause becomes irrelevant.

I would be extremely surprised if Moyes had some sort of agreement not to utilise release clauses for Everton players. At the end of the day it has cost his new employer £4million so I cant see that being allowed.

Mister Ed

Everton were fecking brilliant tonight.
They did it fantastic:

They managed to get £4 million more than his release clause for Fellaini, which is just brilliant, and on top of that, they have had 3 more games out of him this season. Couldn't have done it any better from their point of view.

They got in 2 good replacements: McCarthy, which has cost them £2m less than Wigan were asking for him.

And they managed to keep onto Baines, and this season might have been his last chance to escape, so it looks like they will have him for years to come actually.

With the extra money they got from Fellaini, they can look for decent replacements and reinforcements and start planning the next window, meanwhile they have solved the gaps in their team with excellent loan deals for Lukaku and Barry.

That is how you do transfer business !

Take note and learn Woodward and Moyes !!!!

How painfull to say that the people in charge at a club like United should watch and learn from clubs like Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham, sad but true.....

Duafc

Village Lemon
I don't care about the £4m, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

But it is proof of the fact Moyes and Woodward are completely inadequate in doing normal sensible business. If they wanted Fellaini, why didn't they get him a few months earlier and paid £4m less ?

Why oh why, do we say we try to bring in the best players at the club, yet when the best nr10 in the world becomes avaible we let him go to Arsenal on the cheap....

It is bad planning and it is bad negotiating and it is even worse decisionmaking !

I really thought this club was better than this..... clearly in the hands of Woodward and Moyes, it isn't anymore, which is worrying !

They should get you in there.

You haven't even a clue about what actually goes on in these dealings and what reasons they may or may not have for making which signings at which times.

Moyes has been a premier league manager for over a decade and signed many a good player for great prices on a shoe string at Everton. Woodward at the age of 40 has reached the absolute pinnacle of his profession, and was a major success in his previous role at the club. Some of the know it all knee jerk criticism of 'fans' here is laughable considering the wealth of information they do not possess. You can be unhappy, but those calling for resignations and branding them embarrassing and incompetent need to take a step back.

starman

Insane. Happy we bought him, but the price is insane.

Hopefully the increased price are add ons, for a CL and a couple leagues to go with it.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Hopefully will be a good signing. Welcome to the club you 'microphone headed feck*'!

*shamelessly stolen from someone on the caf.. TN I think it was.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
£27 million. For Fellaini.

It makes Gareth Bale's signing look like a bargain for Madrid.

Siorac

27.5m for Fellaini.

To put it into perspective, this means he cost more than Robin van Persie or Michael Carrick or Wayne Rooney. It's more than our first bid for Fábregas, it's far more than what Bayern paid for Thiago. It's only about 4 million less than what Bayern paid for Mario Götze, one of the biggest talents of his generation.

Revan

Assumptionman
They should get you in there.

You haven't even a clue about what actually goes on in these dealings and what reasons they may or may not have for making which signings at which times.

Moyes has been a premier league manager for over a decade and signed many a good player for great prices on a shoe string at Everton. Woodward at the age of 40 has reached the absolute pinnacle of his profession, and was a major success in his previous role at the club. Some of the know it all knee jerk criticism of 'fans' here is laughable considering the wealth of information they do not possess. You can be unhappy, but those calling for resignations and branding them embarrassing and incompetent need to take a step back.
Agree. United has been excellent this summer, especially today. I hope we give to Ed a contract for life, after all he is our executive vice chairman so surely he must be good.

It's good to be a top red.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Not to mention picked up Lukaku for a year's loan seemingly out of nowhere. There's their physical presence to hit long balls at with Fellaini gone.
I cannot believe they've got Lukaku. What an amazing coup.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
27.5m for Fellaini.

To put it into perspective, this means he cost more than Robin van Persie or Michael Carrick or Wayne Rooney. It's more than our first bid for Fábregas, it's far more than what Bayern paid for Thiago. It's only about 4 million less than what Bayern paid for Mario Götze, one of the biggest talents of his generation.
Stop being so dramatic about it. Thiago would have never came, Pep was always gonna pipe in if we got close. Gotze wanted to stay in Germany, Cesc was pointless bid alright.

He is a player we do need. It is an inflated market, it must be said.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Agree. United has been excellent this summer, especially today. I hope we give to Ed a contract for life, after all he is our executive vice chairman so surely he must be good.

It's good to be a top red.

Not what I said, sarciness for the sake of it.

I'm just not for nailing people to the cross for little reason, prefer to show a little trust and faith, as requested by the boss.

Kaos

Some of you are just insufferable, welcome aboard Marouane.

Woodward does have a lot to answer though if we ended up paying more than his release clause.

Siorac

Stop being so dramatic about it. Thiago would have never came, Pep was always gonna pipe in if we got close. Gotze wanted to stay in Germany, Cesc was pointless bid alright.

He is a player we do need. It is an inflated market, it must be said.
I'm not saying we could or should have signed these players. I'm saying that even in this inflated market this price is crazy, insane, out of this fecking world. About 20m would have been an inflated price that reflects the current trends of the market. This merely reflects that Woody is a clown.

binary bot
27.5m for Fellaini.

Perspective would be contrasting with similar transfers. Van Persie had a year left on his deal, was 29 and a questionable injury record ; Arsenal were forced to sell. Carrick was 18M 7 years ago - the game has changed greatly since - same applies to Rooney. The original Baines + Fellaini bids if anything show that the offers for Fabregas were nothing compared to what we'd probably be prepared to go to. Not to mention Fergie didn't do us any favours with the neglecting of the position for 5/6 years.

Yes it's a rather shit price but that's not perspective at all. Surprised you didn't contrast the fee with that of Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs.

Liam147

On Probation

Not arsed about infractions, this needs to be aired. He's probably on a par with Rooney for me.

You wait six years for a midfielder, and we get him?!

To put this into some sort of perspective, the last time we signed a midfielder, we hadn't won the Champions League since 99. I got a text from my mate informing me of the signings of Anderson and Nani. He (as did many others) said that we've supposedly signed the next Ronaldinho.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not to mention picked up Lukaku for a year's loan seemingly out of nowhere. There's their physical presence to hit long balls at with Fellaini gone.

We won't be doing that with a midfield of Barkley/McCarthy/Gibson and especially not with a manager like Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.