Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I think Moyes had a gentleman's agreement in place when he left Everton that he would not exploit any contract loopholes. Manchester United would respect such an agreement given the long standing good relationship with Everton.

There was a quote from Everton when we made our first 'derisory' bid that accused Moyes of not abiding by 'an understanding' he had with Kenwright.

That can be the only reason why we did not exploit Fellaini's release clause. Else it makes no sense to pay more and leave the deal til the final hours of the transfer window
It'd be funny though, for United and Moyes to honour this gentleman's agreement, only for Kenwight and co. to turn around and feck them over in the last hour of deadline day. fecking classy that.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Not arsed about infractions, this needs to be aired. He's probably on a par with Rooney for me.

You wait six years for a midfielder, and we get him?!

To put this into some sort of perspective, the last time we signed a midfielder, we hadn't won the Champions League since 99. I got a text from my mate informing me of the signings of Anderson and Nani. He (as did many others) said that we've supposedly signed the next Ronaldinho.
What are you talking about?

The Boxer

Happy we finally got Fellaini. Think he will be way better than Cleverly. But not happy with the way we conducted business. Its embarrassing and ending up having to pay more for Fellaini is a crime. This Fellaini deal should have been done and dusted weeks ago. What a cock up. We are United and the defending champion for feck's sake.

krazyrobus

Not arsed about infractions, this needs to be aired. He's probably on a par with Rooney for me.

You wait six years for a midfielder, and we get him?!

To put this into some sort of perspective, the last time we signed a midfielder, we hadn't won the Champions League since 99. I got a text from my mate informing me of the signings of Anderson and Nani. He (as did many others) said that we've supposedly signed the next Ronaldinho.
I never understood why we never replicated that window, we sowed up the transfers nice and early, except the Tevez one. That was the perfect window.

Siorac

Perspective would be contrasting in with similar transfers. Van Persie had a year left on his deal, was 29 and a questionable injury record ; Arsenal were forced to sale. Carrick was 18M 7 years ago, the game has changed greatly since - same applies to Rooney. The original Baines + Fellaini if anything shows that the offers for Fabregas were nothing compared to what we'd probably be prepared to go to. Yes it's a rather shit price but that's not perspective at all. Surprised you didn't contrast the fee with that of Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs.
OK then... Luiz Gustavo? Roughly the same age, proven at the top level, half the price.

But okay, he was surplus to requirements at Bayern, that brought the price down. Modric moved for 33m to Real Madrid only last year: Madrid are a club that's well known for its tendency to overpay, Levy is famous for driving a hard bargain - yet it's barely 6m more for a midfielder who's twice the player Fellaini could ever hope or dream to be.

We fecked this up, plain and simple. And as we can't afford to just throw money around the way Madrid to, we'll be stuck with him no matter how he performs, much like we couldn't afford to get rid of Anderson.

Claymore

Woody is a genius. There is a player who everybody here and in all other forums I visit said that we'll sign. That player had a release clause of 23.5m. What our geniuses do? Wait until the clause expires, and then sign him 5 minutes after the midnight for 28m. Fantastic.

Was about to post similar. Just disappointing how deep down we all knew he was coming, as you said all the papers did as well and yet we've still just ended up with him after all the circus with all these other players. You look across at Real, City, Spurs, Chelsea even Arsenal now getting Ozil WTF and we're still scrambling around in the bargain basement but paying over the odds.

Moyes "always in for the best players with no limits" my arse. We must really be super skint, I mean it wasn't too long ago we did what Spurs have just done but bought a player from Wigan to replace him, they've gone out and spent it, weather it works out or not, they've spent it.

Its been silly tonight, will get fully behind the new signing once the head clears a bit.

Mister Ed

They should get you in there.

You haven't even a clue about what actually goes on in these dealings and what reasons they may or may not have for making which signings at which times.

Moyes has been a premier league manager for over a decade and signed many a good player for great prices on a shoe string at Everton. Woodward at the age of 40 has reached the absolute pinnacle of his profession, and was a major success in his previous role at the club. Some of the know it all knee jerk criticism of 'fans' here is laughable considering the wealth of information they do not possess. You can be unhappy, but those calling for resignations and branding them embarrassing and incompetent need to take a step back.
Come on still defending them ?

No point in argueing then, they can do everything they fecking want, and we should just shut up and keep all our criticism (justified or not) for ourself... Not a very healthy principle !

I'am not saying i could do it any better, yet i'am not the one they gave the job to. I'am not the one that is to succeed Fergie or Gill, who both did a fantastic job at the club, and i'am not the one who gets paid £5million a year in salary to do his job. Does that mean i can't see what a mess they made of things.... you only have to compare with other clubs and use your common sense to see they completely fecked up !

If you can't see something has gone terribly wrong at the club or that something is stinking over there, you will never. Just keep your eyes closed and imagine it never happend, just keep saying to yourself, everything is alright, Moyes is a good manager and Woodward is an excellent negotiatior, they both did brilliant business for the club, keep repeating it to yourself and maybay you will start to believe it aswell.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I'm not saying we could or should have signed these players. I'm saying that even in this inflated market this price is crazy, insane, out of this fecking world. About 20m would have been an inflated price that reflects the current trends of the market. This merely reflects that Woody is a clown.
We should have acted earlier to sign him and save a few quid. But Moyes wanted him, so blaming woody for the price is bollocks, blaming him for acting too late is correct

VII

There is obviously a reason why we did not sign Fellaini a month before for £23m, probably as I and others have said above, that Moyes had agreed not to when he left Everton. Im sure we'll find out in the coming days and also sure its not incompetence from the club!
If that's true, what's the point of bidding £30m for Fellaini and Baines? Why not bid £25m or 27m for Fellaini last month?

Revan

Assumptionman
Not what I said, sarciness for the sake of it.

I'm just not for nailing people to the cross for little reason, prefer to show a little trust and faith, as requested by the boss.

Good luck on that. I can't even remember a single club ever looking like total clowns as we have looked today.

From the beginning there were two transfer targets. Fellaini and Baines. But the club lied to us and say that we have money to spend and we are going for the best talents in the world. We had 3 bids turned down for Baines. We apparently were in contact with Thiago, though now I am pretty sure it was a lie. Then we 'tried' to sign Fabregas by offering 25m. Then we 'retried' to sign him by offering 30m. It was never going to happen. What we did then. Lied again that we are going to sign a good midfielder. Only 4 days before the deadline and in the end we weren't going to pay his clause. Did anyone expected that Bilbao will negotiate despite everyone who watches La Liga will tell you that Bilbao never negotiates. They didn't negotiate with Bayern and Bayern paid the clause after a month of looking the possibilities. They refused 20m from Juve for Llorente (who was in the last year of contract) and benched him cause he asked to leave. But still, our geniuses thought that they'll negotiate. Then we signed Fellaini minutes before the deadline for 4 million pounds more than we could have signed him 2 months (or a month) ago. And the cherry on the cake, was 'loaning' Coentrao which was a total panic buy (we weren't linked with him), but somehow the transfer took place after the deadline and will not materialize.

Awesome, fecking awesome. I don't think how could it have managed worse. Even if they would have tried to do the worst possible job in the transfer deals they wouldn't have done a better job at it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To be fair, we managed to get up to 6m for Anichebe. So our negotiating team just played a blinder.

Liam147

On Probation
What are you talking about?
feck knows, I'm just annoyed we got Fellaini. He'll stunt Cleverley's development, he won't bring us closer to winning the league, and will encourage a less attractive style of football. I feel confident on all three. I'm sure many will disagree, but time will tell. Sadly we've got to wait a fortnight to see anything.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
To be fair, we managed to get up to 6m for Anichebe. So our negotiating team just played a blinder.
Excellent window for your lot.

Okay, money on the table: Will Fellaini be a success at United?

And, more importantly: Will he alone absolve our need for midfield reinforcements?

lilcurt

feck knows, I'm just annoyed we got Fellaini. He'll stunt Cleverley's development, he won't bring us closer to winning the league, and will encourage a less attractive style of football. I feel confident on all three. I'm sure many will disagree, but time will tell. Sadly we've got to wait a fortnight to see anything.
Agree apart from the Cleverly bit, he isn't going to be good enough.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Fellaini isn't that much older than Cleverley. He has plenty of time to develop himself, plus he's shown much more in his career than Cleverley.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
How would he not bring us closer to winning the league when he's an improvement on Cleverley and Anderson.

He makes us a better team, and more likely therefore to win the league. If we had him yesterday we might have gotten something at Anfield.

Siorac

He should only play when Carrick's injured or needs a rest.

He makes some of our problems worse. We thought we lacked creativity at Anfield but with Fellaini it would have been even worse. There will be more games when we'll get the feeling that we can't string two passes together.

manusteve

He makes some of our problems worse. We thought we lacked creativity at Anfield but with Fellaini it would have been even worse. There will be more games when we'll get the feeling that we can't string two passes together.
I'm dreading how much his presence in the team will feck everything up. Clearly, at that cost, he ain't gonna be warming the bench.

binary bot
I think a lot of you underrate his ability with the ball at his feet - yes he's very good in the air etc. but he's not the Glenn Whelan-esque player some of you make out.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Thanks for not allowing him to face us in a fortnights time!

Revan

Assumptionman
Even Levy would have been proud of your dealings today. Congrats for a wonderful deadline performance. Fellaini and Anichebe for 33.5m out, McCarthy, Barry and Lukaku for 13m in is a fantastic business

Duafc

Village Lemon
I think a lot of you underrate his ability with the ball at his feet - yes he's very good in the air etc. but he's not the Glenn Whelan-esque player some of you make out.

Leave it 100.

they've gone beyond reason.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Our midfield was completely dominated against Liverpool, so he's a clear improvement there. The issues with creativity are little to do with the centre midfield pairing of Carrick/whoever, we have two wingers and a number 10 to create chances, Fellaini isn't changing anything there or making it worse.. Cleverley is hardly creative.

On the passing comment he has a higher pass % than Cleverley so the idea that playing him in the middle means we wont string passes together is bollocks. Clev is a very safe passer as well, so we aren't losing much by swapping in Fellaini.

He adds huge physicality to the team and is an excellent ballwinner, as well as offering a clear aerial threat.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Excellent window for your lot.

Okay, money on the table: Will Fellaini be a success at United?

And, more importantly: Will he alone absolve our need for midfield reinforcements?

I think that he will be, but no, you'll still need another one or two to win the CL, but i think he's enough to take you to the title.

Bojan11

Brilliant. His signing will allow Kagawa and our midfielders more freedom.

Lets face it, we didn't like playing against him. Also he's dominated Toure with Everton. Lets hope he does it again for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Lets look at the bright side, we can now play Carrick and Fellaini together in midfield, plus our hoofing the ball forward tactics are closer to perfection with Fellaini in the team.

Ekeke

Holy shit £27 million :lol: Berbatov Mk. II

He's a good midfielder at least but talk about clowning around this summer

Liam147

On Probation
Yeah, I used to think the same about Cleverley as an 11 year old.
Fellaini isn't that much older than Cleverley. He has plenty of time to develop himself, plus he's shown much more in his career than Cleverley.
Fellaini's been playing at the top level for a lot of years, Cleverley has not. What's to suggest he'll suddenly come on leaps and bounds? Had he remained at Everton there'd have been no significant improvement. Maybe being at a better (with all due respect) club will aid his development, but I doubt it.

He won't. Cleverley will be that player. You don't pay £27.5m (anyone actually realised how big this fee is?) to leave him on the bench. Sadly.

Siorac

Our midfield was completely dominated against Liverpool, so he's a clear improvement there. The issues with creativity are little to do with the centre midfield pairing of Carrick/whoever, we have two wingers and a number 10 to create chances, Fellaini isn't changing anything there or making it worse.. Cleverley is hardly creative.

On the passing comment he has a higher pass % than Cleverley so the idea that playing him in the middle means we wont string passes together is bollocks. Clev is a very safe passer as well, so we aren't losing much by swapping in Fellaini.

He adds huge physicality to the team and is an excellent ballwinner, as well as offering a clear aerial threat.
No, it wasn't. We're still finding it hard to deal with the opposition pressing and harassing us but someone with Fellaini's limited technical ability won't help that.

The biggest issue against Liverpool was that we couldn't do anything with the ball. I'm not saying we haven't struggled in the past because of not being able to retrieve the ball early enough but that wasn't the issue at Anfield.

Relying on our wingers to create... not a good plan, to say the least.

binary bot
Brilliant. His signing will allow Kagawa and our midfielders more freedom.
That's what I'm hoping - I was worried after the Liverpool and Chelsea matches that Moyes is going to favour the more defensively sound attackers which would hinder our attack. If it allows us to field something like;

Rvp​
Kagawa Rooney Nani​
Fellaini Carrick​
then I'm all for it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.