Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have said it before but I honestly think Moyes wanted to use him in this role but didn't have the balls because of the backlash about 'hoofball' the media and maybe fans would of gave him.
Yeah, if I had to pick out the one thing that really scuppered Moyes at United it would be his anxiety about what the media/fans might say and letting that influence decisions on the pitch. Say what you like about Van Gaal but he literally could not give a feck what others think of his decisions. An important quality in a manager IMO.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Yeah, if I had to pick out the one thing that really scuppered Moyes at United it would be his anxiety about what the media/fans might say and letting that influence decisions on the pitch. Say what you like about Van Gaal but he literally could not give a feck what others think of his decisions. An important quality in a manager IMO.
Yep, a clear indication that the job was too big for him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I never think it's a good idea to take Fellaini off against crap sides like this because half of our height goes away for the set pieces. But he did have a poor game IMO.
As soon as he came off, Villa scored.
Who knows...if he didnt play the whole match, maybe Villa would've scored a few more. We'll never know.
Fellaini is part of our first team and VERY important for both Plan A (possession/passing) and Plan B (hoofball).
Fellaini is an integral part of our first team and regardless of form, should start every game. Of course, if he has a series of bad performances, like any player, he will be put on the bench.

Distracted Steward

As soon as he came off, Villa scored.
Who knows...if he didnt play the whole match, maybe Villa would've scored a few more. We'll never know.
Fellaini is part of our first team and VERY important for both Plan A (possession/passing) and Plan B (hoofball).
Fellaini is an integral part of our first team and regardless of form, should start every game. Of course, if he has a series of bad performances, like any player, he will be put on the bench.
Can you imagine if you posted that three months ago? You'd get a tag line for that alone.

Agreed. He is not an ornate passer but keeps it effective and simple. He gets it to the open man, the guy with better options or someone in position to score. After he passes, he moves. Simple but it makes the team better.

One thing I notice against Villa was how calm he was when pressured by two men. It was like they thought his technique was a weak point. However, he'd hold them off and calmly lay it off with a short pass. He looked calm and collected. He gets that if there are two on him a teammate will be open. Stay calm and find him; the rest will take care of itself.

ZDwyr

It's remarkable how it has worked out for Fellaini so far. Imagine a game-winning goal in the derby :drool:

EDIT: Apologies for the repetition in the tweets, wasn't sure how to embed it correctly.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It is if you have no control of the ball in the final third. When that happens, the ball doesn't stick. We're a much more comfortable team now in the final third of the pitch because we've played with more confidence. Hopefully we'll have more of that today.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Too creative? Is that a bad thing?
He's talking about their mindset and focus, and I imagine he's mainly talking about Di Maria here. It's just another way of saying he doesn't want a risk taker in the middle, he wants a steady functional player.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We're getting better and better at using him with each passing game.

prarek

Fellaini has won every 50/50 ball against Yaya so far. Yaya looks like he wants no part of Fellaini.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He really has been superb. Credit to him, pretty much undroppable now.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This is the Fellaini at Everton that was in the team of the season. I still can not believe Moyes had troubles figuring out how to use him last season. His aerial advantage makes him so useful and adds another dimension to our attack. Van Gaal is doing a good job playing him as a target man, while when defending giving him more of a box to box role.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Steam rolling everybody in site so far starting to look a great buy from Moyes. Shame on some people!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Poor start but has grown into the game magnificently since his goal. He's such a brilliant player to have when he's confident as he'll be absolutely everywhere on the pitch and working for the team in both an attacking and defensive role. His passing can still be sloppy sometimes but he's also shown to be capable of playing intricate football at times and playing the correct options on pretty much every occasion, without panic. Still annoys me that he is unfairly treated by the referees sometimes for fouls which wouldn't be fouls by any other player but he's actually improved in that aspect too. Well done Fellaini and well done LVG for correctly utilising him. He'll be a great player to have in the CL next year, i don't think a lot of European teams will know how to deal with him when he's playing in this type of role which seems to be a mish-mash of his season where he played AM for us and the season where he was playing as a CM. Best of both worlds.

JoaquinJoaquin

This is the Fellaini at Everton that was in the team of the season. I still can not believe Moyes had troubles figuring out how to use him last season. His aerial advantage makes him so useful and adds another dimension to our attack. Van Gaal is doing a good job playing him as a target man, while when defending giving him more of a box to box role.
The problem was I think was that Moyes knew how to use him but was afraid to go down that route tactically because he would of been crucified.

Traub

This. He is now playing how he used to play against us.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The problem was I think was that Moyes knew how to use him but was afraid to go down that route tactically because he would of been crucified.
Yea, Moyes was a coward and because of that he lost his job. I questioned his decision to play Fellaini in midfield when he was an absolute beast at Everton as a suffoco.

Now the question is, why should we look for a replacement for Fellaini in the starting eleven when he is such an advantage to is for tactical purpose when on the pitch. I might have to reconsider my viewpoint on that previous opinion I hold that he is a better plan B than a plan A.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Aye, fans would've slaughtered Moyes if he'd sacrificed Rooney or RVP to make room for Fellaini in a target man role.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Wasnt he injured when, or shortly after he arrived too or am I dreaming.

Hopefully one or two people might learn to reserve judgement for more than 5 minutes in future.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Doing very well. When we have the ball on the deck though, he is peeling off and getting on the toes of the CB, we need to find him and he can just back in all day.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Yea, Moyes was a coward and because of that he lost his job. I questioned his decision to play Fellaini in midfield when he was an absolute beast at Everton as a suffoco.
If Moyes had deployed him like his he'd have been slated for turning us into Everton or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.