Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

One of SAFs golden rules used to be to "play the game and not the occasion. Fellaini definitely let the occasion get to him today.

Despite that though, I could only despair when I saw Falcao warming up. However little Fellaini was contributing, it was always going to be more than anything Falcao could muster up.

Roboc7

Personally I find it more sensible to replace the players failing to create when the opponent ISNT singling them out for special attention, than the one who is failing to create whilst being specifically marked and countered by the opposition.
Fellaini is one of those failing to create, mata and young have been nullified as well, teams are paying closer attention to them. Let's be honest Everton didn't play someone to mark him they just didn't allow him to bully them. All three will quite rightly be under scrutiny now in terms of starting the next game.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Fellaini is one of those failing to create, mata and young have been nullified as well, teams are paying closer attention to them. Let's be honest Everton didn't play someone to mark him they just didn't allow him to bully them. All three will quite rightly be under scrutiny now in terms of starting the next game.
Even if we subscribe to your belief, the fact remains that Fellaini adds another dimension to our attack, provides a threat on set pieces, and is an excellent defensive asset when defending set pieces.

For these reasons, he provides a threat and a contribution that our other attacking players do not, and therefore would be the last player (out of the attackers in question) that I think should be replaced.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What it shows is while Fellaini is kept quiet the others are not doing their jobs either. Mata against Chelsea and Everton was pretty crap to be honest, Young too wasn't that effective but he had 2 on 1 situations quite often. I feel the movement from the wings is too predictable at the minute, they both stay wide and don't move off the flank, they should be coming inside and making runs through the channels every now and again, let the fullbacks push up higher and be the width when required.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What it shows is while Fellaini is kept quiet the others are not doing their jobs either. Mata against Chelsea and Everton was pretty crap to be honest, Young too wasn't that effective but he had 2 on 1 situations quite often. I feel the movement from the wings is too predictable at the minute, they both stay wide and don't move off the flank, they should be coming inside and making runs through the channels every now and again, let the fullbacks push up higher and be the width when required.
Yeah, that has been pretty much the point I have been trying to make.

Sam

He feel completely into Everton's trap today. Which is a bit ridiculous as Pineaar basically came out this morning and told the whole world that they were going to try and get him sent off. And he still feel for it.

Adam-Utd

Yeah, that has been pretty much the point I have been trying to make.
Yep. While the long ball to Fellaini had been working well and then allowing us to build up the pitch quickly, when that option isn't available we just lack idea's massively.

At present we remind myself of Arsenal from a few years back, when they lacked any real flair and relied upon RVP.

Adam-Utd

He feel completely into Everton's trap today. Which is a bit ridiculous as Pineaar basically came out this morning and told the whole world that they were going to try and get him sent off. And he still feel for it.
The ref fell for it more like. Apart from the 1 dodgy kick on Mccarthy they just proceeded to basically fall over whenever Fellaini went near somebody. The crowd shouted and screamed and Marriner basically bent over backwards to try and get him in trouble, it was pathetic really.

Sam

The ref fell for it more like. Apart from the 1 dodgy kick on Mccarthy they just proceeded to basically fall over whenever Fellaini went near somebody. The crowd shouted and screamed and Marriner basically bent over backwards to try and get him in trouble, it was pathetic really.
He really didn't help himself though.

Adam-Utd

He really didn't help himself though.
True but then he was only giving what he was getting. Everton were going in hard and trying to push him around, but because of his size it doesn't seem like that. As soon as he gave anything back they fell over and cried like babies. No wonder LVG took him off as he wouldn't have lasted whether he did anything or not.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I still cant quite get on board with this argument. It seems like I was watching a different game, because again - I didnt see a frustrated, angry Fellaini stomping about looking like he was about to put his elbow through someones forehead. I saw a lot of sneaky tactics from Everton (such as Barkley's dive which got Fellaini booked) and exaggerated reactions from nothing-tackles.

Basically I dont agree with these comments that Fellaini "took the bait" or "fell for it" - he made one standard foul against Coleman, then the ref bought a pretty blatant dive from Barkley (this was virtually identical to Herrera vs Chelsea, and Fabregas today). After that, Fellaini was always on thin ice and with the ref giving every single marginal foul or 50/50 to Everton, yes he was in danger, and Van Gaal probably did the right thing in taking him off. But I attribute it to Marriner, and not Fellaini - the ref fell for every trick Everton played, and undoubtedly would have sent Fellaini off as soon as he committed any other foul (undoubtedly accompanied by a lot of emphatic gesturing from Everton).

Thank god that someone else saw it this way.

Certainly in the match day thread, everyone was happy to criticise Marriner - and rightly so - it seems like a bit of rewriting history now when people go back and say that Fellaini had "lost his head" and similar comments.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Has anyone else noticed this in other matches as well? Its been annoying me lately and today Marriner just went crazy with it. Fellaini can literally do nothing and somehow give away foul. Any aerial challenge the opposition can just fall on the ground and it will be a foul because it is Fellaini. Its a joke, you are allowed to tussle for a ball in the air, just because Fellaini is stronger than his opponent doesn't make it a foul. When the ref starts acting an eejit like today he is basically taking Fellaini out of the match. What is he supposed to do when he is being called for doing nothing? Did every one of our corners end up with a free kick out?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why do people keep saying he was man marked today? From what I saw he wasn't marked entire time no more than our any other player, most of our players run into block of Everton players every time they had to attack in final third, same happened with Fellaini, only he is less comfortable in tighter spaces and slower on the ball than the likes of Mata and Herrera so it was more obvious. He was only marked tighter than other players when we played long balls to him.

People would be delighted if Herrera took a shit on a football pitch and started sliding on it. Mata was a lot better against Chelsea because he's had the room to roam around as Fellaini was man marked by Zouma the whole game and had to deal with Ivanovic, that's the whole thing about him, even when he's - probably according to you playing shit - he's still often locked out by somebody and there's more space on the pitch for others to exploit. When things go our way, the space is exploited, when they don't, matches end up like today's but for some reason it's Fellaini that's receiving the stick.
So you agree that he was shit but you are explaining the excuse for him being shit? The part about Herrera is just ridiculous and explains your bias.

People would be delighted if Herrera took a shit on a football pitch and started sliding on it. Mata was a lot better against Chelsea because he's had the room to roam around as Fellaini was man marked by Zouma the whole game and had to deal with Ivanovic, that's the whole thing about him, even when he's - probably according to you playing shit - he's still often locked out by somebody and there's more space on the pitch for others to exploit. When things go our way, the space is exploited, when they don't, matches end up like today's but for some reason it's Fellaini that's receiving the stick.

Oh yea, and it's laughable when you're suggesting that he was the worst player on the pitch just to admit two posts later that he actually wasn't.
Worst, or second worst, not really big difference.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So you agree that he was shit but you are explaining the excuse for him being shit? The part about Herrera is just ridiculous and explains your bias.

Worst, or second worst, not really big difference.
1. No, I don't think he was shit, that's the thing, no idea where you've got that idea from though. I've said that probably according to you he was shit, which he was not. I've said that even when he's man marked he's still giving options to other players. When he's nullified like he was against Chelsea, it's in other player's duties to try to exploit the space that has opened up.

As for my 'Herrera bias' there's hardly any. I think I've got more MOTMs for Herrera than I have for Fellaini this season but what I've said perfectly reflects attitude of some people towards him, he can't do anything wrong in some eyes, even when he's having an average/shit game (just like everybody else) people will still praise him for nothing (or try to advocate his dive against Chelsea for some reason).

2. There actually is. Time to make up your mind.

Woodzy

My concern with Fellaini is that teams will be better suited to play against him next year. I'm not saying they will all go out and buy someone that can do a job on him, but they will be better prepared to neutralize the threat I think.

As useful as it has been the last 10 games or so, I really do hope that we phase him out of the first team next year.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think it is a big difference, because I bet you didn't go into the thread of whoever was worst and criticise them. If you did, ignore this post. :angel:
I didn't, I gave up on Valencia long time ago. It's not even interesting to crticisize him anymore. :(

1. No, I don't think he was shit, that's the thing, no idea where you've got that idea from though. I've said that probably according to you he was shit, which he was not. I've said that even when he's man marked he's still giving options to other players. When he's nullified like he was against Chelsea, it's in other player's duties to try to exploit the space that has opened up.

As for my 'Herrera bias' there's hardly any. I think I've got more MOTMs for Herrera than I have for Fellaini this season but what I've said perfectly reflects attitude of some people towards him, he can't do anything wrong in some eyes, even when he's having an average/shit game (just like everybody else) people will still praise him for nothing (or try to advocate his dive against Chelsea for some reason).

2. There actually is. Time to make up your mind.
Now you are talking about Herrera's dive, in a thread where people were justifying Fellaini's 124 fouls in one half.

I didn't really count defenders when I said it, so my bad for not explaining it.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Now you are talking about Herrera's dive, in a thread where people were justifying Fellaini's 124 fouls in one half.

I didn't really count defenders when I said it, so my bad for not explaining it.
No, I'm actually explaining what my analogy about Herrera meant as you've accused me of being biased, I can't believe it's that hard to understand. And he's had 4 fouls, one of which was Barkley's dive after which he got the yellow. Two fouls were 'what' fouls in the box during corners which were even commented as 'what the feck is the ref doing' during the matchday.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
My concern with Fellaini is that teams will be better suited to play against him next year. I'm not saying they will all go out and buy someone that can do a job on him, but they will be better prepared to neutralize the threat I think.

As useful as it has been the last 10 games or so, I really do hope that we phase him out of the first team next year.
He got "found out" I think. Unless he can not adapt and find new ways, it will be very difficult for him

ZDwyr

He got "found out" I think. Unless he can not adapt and find new ways, it will be very difficult for him
Well he has been coping perfectly fine since his time at Everton? And he has been playing largely a similar role as he did for them.

Man Utd 0:1 West Brom

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
When he's not even winning headers he really is a pointless footballer. Caught offside because he was ball watching so many times as well. Obviously not his fault that LVG thought it was a good idea to play him as a lone striker with RVP and Rooney on the pitch though.

Bojan11

Why did we just not play him down the left? We didn't try it once.

prarek

Can't blame him really. LVG set him up top to win headers and he did his job.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Even when he played in midfield today, I can't fecking understand why would you move him to the right side when the trio of him, Blind and Young looked pretty good when they played together and their link-up play is simply better due to fact that they've played that setup before.

Kag

Can't blame him really. LVG set him up top to win headers and he did his job.
You can't blame him for offering nothing to the attacking build up whatsoever? His first half performance was just as bad, if not worse, than anything we seen from him last season.

Dobba

I almost feel sorry for him, for want of a better phrase, as when the rest of the team are as bad as that he stands out like a sore thumb. He should be a distraction tactic, freeing up space for other players in attacking spaces by drawing their biggest centre half out of position for them to exploit. Making him Plan A when half the side is being played out of position and the main man upfront hasn't played in months achieves absolutely nothing.

Boycott

He was poor. Did a nice turn to get off the defender for the possible penalty but was easy to mark as he was an out and out forward there rather than getting into pockets of space like we've usually seen. Felt he was off the pace and should have been taken off.

Acole9

Outstanding
Terrible idea to play him up top, he just got in the way and was constantly offside.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What I dont understand is why we had Fellaini in their box for most of the first half, but didnt actually try to cross the ball. The amount of times Valencia and Mata just cut in and played the ball back inside to Herrera rather than swinging in a cross, it was like watching Barcelona (the bad parts).

He was better in the second half playing as a striker, and gave their CBs something to worry about.

Even so, because of the presence he offers on set pieces (attacking and defending), I think he is a very hard player to sub off. You take him off and then when you are chasing the game in the last 10 minutes you regret it because you want someone who can get on the end of long balls. Or on corners etc.

Blue always red

Played the ball well plenty of times but when you're playing RVP and Rooney in withdrawn midfield roles who does LVG want to get on the end of them?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What I dont understand is why we had Fellaini in their box for most of the first half, but didnt actually try to cross the ball. The amount of times Valencia and Mata just cut in and played the ball back inside to Herrera rather than swinging in a cross, it was like watching Barcelona (the bad parts).

He was better in the second half playing as a striker, and gave their CBs something to worry about.

Even so, because of the presence he offers on set pieces (attacking and defending), I think he is a very hard player to sub off. You take him off and then when you are chasing the game in the last 10 minutes you regret it because you want someone who can get on the end of long balls. Or on corners etc.
That's one of the problems in starting him, it becomes extremely difficult to take him off no matter how ineffective he has been.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That's one of the problems in starting him, it becomes extremely difficult to take him off no matter how ineffective he has been.
Yup. Its a tricky one, but I can see why he normally finishes games.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Seems to have gone off the boil, should try Rooney in his position if RVP plays uptop again next game.

Sam

Whats the point of him in these kind of games? He offers nothing at all.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
How many of our shots did he actually blocked/fecked up by being offside this season? I reckon it will be a huge amount, I remember some, certainly more than he scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.