Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Another dualistic performance from him - he showed why he deserves to be picked and, at the same time, he showed why he shouldn't be in the starting XI next season if we want to progress.
Basically this :lol:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He was one of our worst performers and that was markedly visible. You often make some good points regarding Fellaini and his role in the side but it's all a little one-eyed today. He was genuinely woeful in the first half. He picked it up in the second and his defensive work and goal deserve credit, but on the deck he was nowhere near as good as he can be.
Maybe my previous post erred on the glass-half-full side, but I have said several times today that Fellaini had a poor first half. My point has been essentially what you said - that even when he is having a bad game, he can be mostly relied on to defend corners and set pieces effectively, and to provide a threat from our own. This by itself isnt enough to justify a place in the team, and I agree that he was not as good as he has shown he can be, on the ball.

Once he is on the pitch though it becomes a bit of an issue to take him off, because he is the sort of player you want if you are chasing a game in the last 15 minutes.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Another dualistic performance from him - he showed why he deserves to be picked and, at the same time, he showed why he shouldn't be in the starting XI next season if we want to progress.
:lol:

ZDwyr

Was poor in the first half. His passing in particular was a lot below the level he is capable of. Although it's not like he is the only one that has given the ball away in dangerous areas. Smalling did it as well. Herrera also did it two or three times against Chelsea. In Fellaini's defence he worked back really hard to win the ball back after he sold Shaw short too. Thought he was better in the second half. Scored some vital goals this season, and looks probably our most potent scoring threat (which our strikers should be embarrassed by).

Kostur

海尔的老板
I thought that his passing was horribly sloppy in first half and like most of our players he couldn't find himself place on the pitch, it's actually worrying what has happened to our team over the course of last 3-4 games, nobody was making himself available, everybody was shying from the ball, etc.

But yea, for all the sloppy passing he's done in the first half and for all the people that have moaned to take him off (for who, Pereira?) he actually got us 3 points there, good lad.

ScarleyUtd

Many people are still slagging him off. But he's got a ton of heart and is scoring vital goals – when we play to his strengths.

Keep as an impact/squad player.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought he was diabolically bad yesterday, but it seems harsh to single him out when the whole team looked like they'd been on a booze up an hour before kick off

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't his greatest game yesterday, but once again he showed how important he is by popping up with the match winning goal.

As I've said to others, next season we should continue to use Mara, along with someone else in the 10 position - ideally someone who drives with the ball. I mean, there was a few moments when Fellaini found good space in between the lines, where he could drive at the defence, but he's just not that type of player, which is understandable.

drdoityourself

If we start him it seems that he is almost guaranteed to finish the game regardless of how he's playing, because he is our plan B when things aren't going our way. We need more fluency in his advanced position, he should not be in our first eleven if we want to progress even further.

Red_Beans

:lol:
I thought he was diabolically bad yesterday, but it seems harsh to single him out when the whole team looked like they'd been on a booze up an hour before kick off
Fair enough assessment. Our entire team bar young and De gea were poor. At least fellaini scores important goals even when playing badly

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
people talking about dualism are just ungrateful. They're like those people that get a blow job but are still not happy cause it's from their mother ..

Was a vital goal. In the 78th minute. Don't care if it was a tap in, easy to miss under pressure. Think how you would be feeling right now if he missed and we drew or perhaps went on to lose. Fellaini spared you ungrateful motherfokers.

Raw

What I'm worried about is him in the Champions League. He might get away with all his elbowing and shoving in the Premier League but in Europe it's likely that he's going to be picking up some red cards.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
What I'm worried about is him in the Champions League. He might get away with all his elbowing and shoving in the Premier League but in Europe it's likely that he's going to be picking up some red cards.
He only got sent off once last year in the cl and i think it was from a sliding challenge.

Crashoutcassius

He's won us a ton of points this season and yet people still just want to see the XI without him. Obviously we'd be more fluid but the man is a match winner. Maybe if mata/valencia ever put in a decent cross he'd be a match winner more often, he seems to only ever score then young holds the ball up long enough for fellaini to get from right next to young to the far post. I'd kill for a serious right winger

Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Just want to mention today's goal as a good example of what I mean when I have been saying that he chnges the way teams have to defend against us.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Incredible how he keeps playing every game for full 90 minutes.

acnumber9

We carry him through matches in the hope his awkwardness will create something for us. It's worked at times but I don't think it's enough. He's a target man and little else.

dogwithabone

He is one of the least dynamic footballers I've ever seen in the top flight. Sure he is a nuisance with his size but he is a plan B footballer for any club with serious aspirations. I can really see his worth when crosses are coming in towards the back post because he never makes runs near post and his sharpness on the deck in and around the box when the ball is pinging around is next to useless.

With a top class replacement in his position it will make a huge difference.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Incredible how he keeps playing every game for full 90 minutes.
Yeah. He gets a lot of praise for his aerial ability but for me that isn't enough to warrant a place in a United starting 11.

He's absolutely pants with the ball at his feet which should be the no.1 criteria.

dogwithabone

Dragged defenders out of position for the goal

Yeah but surely any player can run across a defence to distract them ? There must be a player out there who can drag a defence out of position but also make more impact elsewhere ?

DevilRed

Average game but its such a dilemma whether to persist on using him. On one hand he is great to have as a route one target. He can take pressure off the back and help us keep possession just by booting the ball up to him.

On the other hand he adds nothing to our passing/creativity/pace. Yes he draws defenders to him on setpieces and forays into the box but we just play at a very pedestrian pace at times when he is on the pitch.

Kazi

Yeah but surely any player can run across a defence to distract them ? There must be a player out there who can drag a defence out of position but also make more impact elsewhere ?
Not 'any player' can do it. More attention is clearly given to Fellaini. He continuously frees up space for our other players due to opposing managers having special plans for him. Agree that his overall game was not good enough today.

Devil may care

He takes too long getting the ball out of his feet when we are trying to move it fast on the counter and overall just doesn't have nearly enough on the ball for a player operating in the #10 role. He was ok today but just like Blind I don't see us challenging for things if he is a long term starter.

AttackingFlair

Not a fan of having a midfielder high up the pitch with no creativity. He should be a plan B really.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think some people are being harsh on his performance today. He played a big part in the goal today, when that ball came in all the Arsenal defenders immediately went towards him, that's how much of a threat he can be.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
He's a player that's really handy to have in your team or squad when it comes to the Premier League as his physical presence suits it down to the ground but when it comes to Europe and particularly against the big guns and with the refs he'll have to be left at home.

the hea

He has done really well this season but I don't think he is good enough to take us to the next level. Put someone like Pogba in that midfield next to Herrera and it would be up there with the best. There is a place for Fellaini in the squad but if we want to be challenging for the titles next season we will need someone better as the first choice partner to Herrera

Amir

It was the sort of performances that are OK, but also make you realize just how much better we could be if instead of him we had a player who could bring the same physical presence but also add real pace, technique, ability to turn quickly, passing ability.... Any of those would be a great upgrade.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Ultimately I dont think he will win around a lot of the fans here regardless of what he does. When he was having his best spell this season he at least shut people up, but that seems to be about the best he can hope for.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Average game but its such a dilemma whether to persist on using him. On one hand he is great to have as a route one target. He can take pressure off the back and help us keep possession just by booting the ball up to him.

On the other hand he adds nothing to our passing/creativity/pace. Yes he draws defenders to him on setpieces and forays into the box but we just play at a very pedestrian pace at times when he is on the pitch.
I think the simple solution is to just buy a striker who can do what he does - offer an option to "beat the press", hold the ball up high up the pitch, offer an aerial threat in the box and press the opposition defence. It's very clear that what he offers is something this team needs, but there's no reason it needs to come from a midfielder.

Someone like Harry Kane can do all of the above and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.