Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Please no. Not in defensive midfield. Ever.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
if you watch the video, he doesnt say anything about defensive midfield whatsoever - in fact the quotes in that article bear little resemblence to what he actually says!

All he says is that he considers he has mostly been playing in midfield apart from the 2/3 times he played upfront - which is exactly right IMO.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

I don't mind him in the DM role. Against Liverpool at OT he won the ball back an absurd amount of times. However the issue is if he isn't fully switched on in that position then he becomes a liability because he fouls or is late to track runs. I think his hybrid AM/FWD role is his best one.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I don't mind him in the DM role. Against Liverpool at OT he won the ball back an absurd amount of times. However the issue is if he isn't fully switched on in that position then he becomes a liability because he fouls or is late to track runs. I think his hybrid AM/FWD role is his best one.
he did have some decent performances last season as a DM, but I much prefer him in the roaming midfield role where can contribute to the defensive side but still has license to get forward and cause trouble in the box

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
he did have some decent performances last season as a DM, but I much prefer him in the roaming midfield role where can contribute to the defensive side but still has license to get forward and cause trouble in the box
I wish he would wait a bit to get in the box though. He always seems to run in early which means we lose a man in midfield when we are trying to build up.

I'm not sure if there is a tactical reason for this but with his height and power surely running in late would give him an added advantage for winning the ball.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fellaini isn't a good DM, he is good at pressing forward but when he plays deep he leaves a lot of space behind him because of his tendencies to run after the ball carrier, unless he improves his positioning and his patience, he will be a liability. He also makes to much foul.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I wish he would wait a bit to get in the box though. He always seems to run in early which means we lose a man in midfield when we are trying to build up.

I'm not sure if there is a tactical reason for this but with his height and power surely running in late would give him an added advantage for winning the ball.
I think it must be planned with the general aim of pulling defenders towards him to create space for others.
The goal that Herrera scored the other day at the back post, he is totally unmarked because the opposition are too focused on covering Fellaini.

JUPITER

It's weird that de Gea gets all the 'wouldn't have made top 4 without him' talk, yet Fellaini and Young, who won us crucial points and were both vital to us winning games against direct rivals are never talked about in the same way...

I think Fellaini's been outstanding this season, as important as anyone else in the team.

Shamwow

I think it must be planned with the general aim of pulling defenders towards him to create space for others.
The goal that Herrera scored the other day at the back post, he is totally unmarked because the opposition are too focused on covering Fellaini.
That makes sense but I wish we would take advantage of that space more often if that is the plan! Especially if it means Herrera scoring more of his lovely goals from the edge of the box into the side netting.

El-Manos

It's weird that de Gea gets all the 'wouldn't have made top 4 without him' talk, yet Fellaini and Young, who won us crucial points and were both vital to us winning games against direct rivals are never talked about in the same way...

I think Fellaini's been outstanding this season, as important as anyone else in the team.
Yup, got that vital winning goal at Palace as well.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I agree with this. I dont think he currently has the discipline to play "the Carrick role" although he showed he can do a job there against Chelsea and City early in the season. That was more a manmarking/harassing sort of role than one of screening the back four however.

I think Fellaini operates best as effectively an advanced box to box midfielder.

I know what you mean, although I get the feeling that this is more a tactical instruction from LVG than Fellaini's own decision. Generally we want Fellaini in the box as soon as a cross comes on, and if it is coming in from Young on the left, he needs to run across to the back post, which does take several seconds.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

I am pretty sure he is doing this under instruction as its always the same movement and a pattern. He always heads to the back post position.

Roman Bellic

Prick

This.

Shamwow

I am pretty sure he is doing this under instruction as its always the same movement and a pattern. He always heads to the back post position.
I think you are right, Van Gaal has said how Fellaini always follows his instructions very well. Still...

El-Manos

The screamer he scored against WBA was really important too.
He might not be the flashy midfield player we want but his effectiveness in the team is hard to deny at this point. He could be valuable in the majority of games, don't expect him to leave any time soon.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I think his positional awareness is horrible. People claimed, in the 2013/14 season, that he was lazy, but he just looked like a guy who never knew where to stand when we didn't have the ball. So he he just jogged. he ball watches too, and generally doesn't use his one asset for the role (his size) to great use.

He's also not a particularly smart, zippy passer. I like him, but I still think he's best in roles that require less thinking. So where he is is fine.

King_Eric

Yeah, seemed offside. Unless the ball came from a defender, but still...assistant never held up his flag.

Bwuk

He's offside but who cares it counted.

Hopefully it increases his value for a summer sale.

Devil may care

It bounced off the ballsack of Witsel and both Fellaini and the other Belguim lad were offside, but he took the goal calmly.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's offside but who cares it counted.

Hopefully it increases his value for a summer sale.
Think it'd be silly to get rid of such a unique player, who often causes the opposition a lot of problems. Not saying we should always start him next season, but I think he'll be an important player to have in the squad.

Moonred

Pretty much part of the main group of players who made it possible for us to qualify for the cl this year. Can't believe so many keep dissing him and want him out at the first opportunity given.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Pretty much part of the main group of players who made it possible for us to qualify for the cl this year. Can't believe so many keep dissing him and want him out at the first opportunity given.
He doesn't help himself. Due to his stupidity he will lose the first 3 games of next season.

Morpheus 7

Think it'd be silly to get rid of such a unique player, who often causes the opposition a lot of problems. Not saying we should always start him next season, but I think he'll be an important player to have in the squad.
Well said, someone actually talking sense in the Fellaini thread for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.