5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

But he's considered a winger, which was even proven yesterday when Januzaj could've as well played on the wing, so it's irrelevant what he could be as our manager doesn't see him as a #10, shame or not. It's not like Mata's failing to deliver from the wing.

And as dustfingers said, he's pretty much an unique player, different from the ones mentioned above and I see him getting plenty of games this season.
Mata isn't a winger, he was played there through sheer lack of options last season, and because he is so talented he did well there, long term he is too slow for that position hence the Pedro bid, and there is no way Mata is going to be Pedro's understudy.

For me Fellaini is a good option off the bemch at times, that's it.

worldinmotion66

I'd like to see him given a chance as the lone front man, especially if his main job is to occupy two defenders and play a link up game. He's so strong and he wins everything aerially, I think he could be a decent option for the role, especially if Rooney doesn't improve.

Siorac

I'd like to see him given a chance as the lone front man, especially if his main job is to occupy two defenders and play a link up game. He's so strong and he wins everything aerially, I think he could be a decent option for the role, especially if Rooney doesn't improve.
The same sort of thinking led Liverpool to pay 35 million for Andy Carroll.

worldinmotion66

The same sort of thinking led Liverpool to pay 35 million for Andy Carroll.
Fella's much more mobile than Carroll though, and better with his feet. His job is to create the space for the midfielders by dragging the centre backs around, a job he'd probably thrive at. I'm not saying it's the answer but if Rooney's form doesn't improve then I'd like to see Fellaini given a go. I don't see any other position for him in this system.

cyberman

It's no coincidence that our possession further up the pitch has suffered with the big fella being out of the side.
Coupled with Rooney having the first touch of Mike Tyson I can see why LVG would want him back in the team

Siorac

Fella's much more mobile than Carroll though, and better with his feet. His job is to create the space for the midfielders by dragging the centre backs around, a job he'd probably thrive at. I'm not saying it's the answer but if Rooney's form doesn't improve then I'd like to see Fellaini given a go. I don't see any other position for him in this system.
If Rooney's form doesn't improve we're in very serious trouble. In this system the number nine has to be a good goalscorer, has to be a very good striker. No other top team plays a player there whose main job is to create space for others. They're all expected to score regularly, even Benzema and Suárez, though they have Ronaldo and Messi to rely on.

If there's no position for him in this system, then he shouldn't play. But he shouldn't be shoehorned into the team just because he's different.

worldinmotion66

If there's no position for him in this system, then he shouldn't play. But he shouldn't be shoehorned into the team just because he's different.
Then he should be sold, no point keeping a player that you cannot play in the system that we want to play.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
This is roughly how I see it as well. In the current system we have the likes of Januzaj, Mata and Memphis all of whom are capable of providing a goal threat. Fellaini creates space by forcing the opponents to defend crosses, and drawing defenders to him - I would expect the aforementioned players to thrive in that space.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It's no coincidence that our possession further up the pitch has suffered with the big fella being out of the side.
Coupled with Rooney having the first touch of Mike Tyson I can see why LVG would want him back in the team
That chest control though..

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Fellaini is a last resort option and I'm afraid nothing more.

He lacks the technical ability to thrive long term in our system. He did well for a few games last season and then was found out.

Fellaini limits our play far too much and if you stop the supply to him then you really cut the efficiency of the team.

Fella's much more mobile than Carroll though, and better with his feet.
Sorry buddy but I don't agree. Carroll as a footballer is actually underrated. Now I'm not saying he is good enough to play for a big club but he's better with the ball than people give him credit for. Part of the reason that he's struggled in teams is because they lump the ball up to him.

Fellaini always looks way off the pace. He's too slow and what we need is speed not to slow things down even more.

Boycott

He lacks the technical ability to thrive long term in our system. He did well for a few games last season and then was found out.

Fellaini limits our play far too much and if you stop the supply to him then you really cut the efficiency of the team.

Sorry buddy but I don't agree. Carroll as a footballer is actually underrated. Now I'm not saying he is good enough to play for a big club but he's better with the ball than people give him credit for. Part of the reason that he's struggled in teams is because they lump the ball up to him.

Fellaini always looks way off the pace. He's too slow and what we need is speed not to slow things down even more.
Fellaini as a footballer is underrated

mufcwarm92

At his best he requires a man marker or he will wreak absolute havok. Teams struggle with him because there's always that reluctance to sacrifice a player. I think our best football last season came when Fellaini's wrecking ball physical presence made space for Herrera and Mata to strut their stuff.

stu_1992

He definitely still has a role to play here. Not saying he will be a starter but he can be super-effective at times. We have seen that last year. I hope he gets minutes tomorrow because having him up to speed will be real useful for us this season.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Silva maybe just, the other two no chance.
I think swapping Silva for Mata would make City significantly weaker, and us quite a bit stronger. Same for Arsenal, if Cazorla was swapped. Ozil - not so much. But I'd still say he's better than Mata.

Other than finishing and set-pieces (even then, it's really just the shooting part), Silva is better than Mata at almost everything.

Last edited:

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Mata isnt really a no 10, Ozil has always been better than him though. And Cazorla keeps Mata out of the national team. As the 2nd striker role, Mata surpasses them all when on form, he"s deadly in tbe final third. But he js no playmaker.
You're being pedantic. "Second striker" and "number 10" are virtually the same thing. As far as stats for playmaking Mata is second only to Silva so your point is completely invalid.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
You're being pedantic. "Second striker" and "number 10" are virtually the same thing. As far as stats for playmaking Mata is second only to Silva so your point is completely invalid.
Only that it really isnt.

And know he isnt, he hasnt got more assists nor chances created compared to Ozil. Doubt to Cazorla too. He has 8 assists in 1.5 years at the club. Not too impressive. Set pieces included which has no relevance with playmaking.

Bwuk

I actually think sadly that if we sign Pedro that Fellaini will put Mata out the side, and Pedro/Memphis will be the options out wide with Fellaini as a #10.

worldinmotion66

I'd agree that Carroll is underrated as a footballer, but he is slower and more cumbersome than Fellaini imo, and doesn't have the same level of control, passing ability or tactical intelligence. What he does have though, is better technique - his ability to strike the ball, his power and accuracy are very much underrated.

I think generally opinions on Fellaini are distorted by the type of football that he thrives under. Everyone wants to see a slick passing, enthusiastic, vibrant, attacking team, myself included. But right now we probably aren't quite capable of that, as we don't have the World class #9 required. Januzaj could well be eventually, but in the meantime I'd like to see Fellaini, Wilson and Adnan all used in that role. I'd rather use Fellaini up top than sign another forward unless it is a player of Lewandowski/Benzema quality.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I wonder if Fellaini might become LVG's preferred choice at no.10 (second striker) now he is fit again? We may find out tonight.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
9 goals in last 14 appearances for club and country.

The striker evolution is upon us. I welcome it.

van Persie

I gave him alot of flack the first season but this guy has been a beast under LvG. Important goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
hell of a weapon to have!

makes the second leg a heck of a different proposition now!

ManUtd1999

The right man when you need a goal. Time and again. It's just hard to stop him in the air!

Status
Not open for further replies.