Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Listar

Fellaini has to play to his strength which if he doesn't know yet, here it goes. Stay deep and cover for Pogba and Herrera, play safe short passes and when the time for corners come, march forward and get that ball to the back of the net. He can play for some more time if he manages to do this. As part of his skillset, i believe he can steal the ball very well, set a counter in motion, intercept more often. I would love to see him perform well. He's a nice guy!
Have to disagree with this. After that Everton debacle and also Anderlecht, Mourinho knows better than to put him in a holding mid. He is too slow to intercept and tackle perfectly, and his aerial presence is not much needed when you have the centre backs doing their jobs well. Only reason he is back defending is from set pieces or if we are bombarded. Else he will be a forward pressing player like as can be seen when he played against Chelsea. His main attribute is he provide an outlet for direct balls from De Gea, where he wins more than 50% of the duels and keep the ball well. It is so simple, one punt upfield, chest control, release and you have bypass half the opponent team and you are attacking from their half. Way easier than passing from the back and get pressed by the opposition forwards. And more safer especially against teams like Liverpool.

Herrera is now our holding DM if Carrick is not playing, not Fellaini.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Social justice warrior, fecking give over will you.

I'm not putting any words in your fecking mouth either see below, i said you were asking why someone isn't banned which is what you did. Try reading peoples posts before jumping to conclusions.

I doubt anybodies ever been banned for criticizing a player ffs, wise up. As i said put people on ignore if their posts offend your sensibilities that much.

Sorry if the social justice warrior part sounded harsh. I just don't think it's fair you are implying that I want anyone banned. I was only asking why considering similar has happened before.

prath92

But he doesn't. He came on against Everton at Goodison to shore up the defence and gave away a stupid penalty.

He came on against Anderlecht to shore up the defence and lost his man when defending a cross. If your giant CM whose come on with the explicit purpose of defending cant even help you defend crosses, what is the point of him?
He also came on and scored vS Hull and he played a major role in the goal vs Liverpool

And there have been many games where he didn't concede a penalty or a goal.

Viral United

I think everyone knows why he's playing right now and what he offers, Jose sold two of our other midfielders and doesn't seem to trust Mensah or Blind in there so he has to play in place of Pogba/Herrera/Carrick and thats fine.

But moving forward i'm not sure if a team with title winning aspirations can carry him even as a squad option.
If we know why he is playing then there is no reason for crying why he is playing, we should appreciate what he is doing, at-least when he done good job in match.
Now if he has place in title winning team only time will tell, but I have seen less talented player in our team then Fellaini while we winning PL title.

stevoc

If we know why he is playing then there is no reason for crying why he is playing, we should appreciate what he is doing, at-least when he done good job in match.
Now if he has place in title winning team only time will tell, but I have seen less talented player in our team then Fellaini while we winning PL title.
I would say arguably the only one that i remember is Cleverley, but Carrick was so good in 12/13 that he made up for Cleverleys limitations.

I think its certainly possible that a team could win the league using Fellaini correctly and as a squad player. But all to often this season especially he's is being used incorrectly. In games like sunday he thrives but he isn't effective against packed defences, he's not effective coming off the bench either when we're chasing a game in my opinion. So i wish we should stop using him in those scenarios.

Ashley R1+O

But he doesn't. He came on against Everton at Goodison to shore up the defence and gave away a stupid penalty.

He came on against Anderlecht to shore up the defence and lost his man when defending a cross. If your giant CM whose come on with the explicit purpose of defending cant even help you defend crosses, what is the point of him?
He's come off the bench in 14 games this season, only two of them fit this narrative though. Ideally, no mistakes would be the perfect scenario, one... Maybe can be forgiven. Two... "unacceptable, confirmed always shite and must get rid". This argument doesn't hold up, all players make mistakes, just need to get used to it and see them for what they are. Not try to extend them into a narrative to push.

stevoc

I just don't think it's fair you are implying that I want anyone banned. I was only asking why considering similar has happened before.
Again mate i doubt anyones been banned simply for being critical of a player. Likely the ones you seem to remember did something else on top to warrant a ban, i'm sure if the mods feel someone needs banning from a thread they will do so. Ask them about it instead of posting it in the thread and veering it off topic.

Viral United

I would say arguably the only one that i remember is Cleverley, but Carrick was so good in 12/13 that he made up for Cleverleys limitations.

I think its certainly possible that a team could win the league using Fellaini correctly and as a squad player. But all to often this season especially he's is being used incorrectly. In games like sunday he thrives but he isn't effective against packed defences, he's not effective coming off the bench either when we're chasing a game in my opinion. So i wish we should stop using him in those scenarios.
Isn't that is the problem?
We know he is squad player, We only have 4 CM so he will play more games.

You are expecting a world class performance from a squad player. When he deliver he is still a squad player when he not he is shit.
This narrative need to change.

He done good job as squad player and we should happy with that.
I don't want him to play this much next season. But I do understand why he is playing right now.

stevoc

Isn't that is the problem?
We know he is squad player, We only have 4 CM so he will play more games.

You are expecting a world class performance from a squad player. When he deliver he is still a squad player when he not he is shit.
This narrative need to change.

He done good job as squad player and we should happy with that.
I don't want him to play this much next season. But I do understand why he is playing right now.
I'm actually not expecting world class performances from Fellaini.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

So because he's made two mistakes this season, he doesn't do what he's told or doesn't give 100%? Zlatan and Mata have missed a few sitters, does it mean they don't do what is asked from them?

Philadelphian

So because he's made two mistakes this season, he doesn't do what he's told or doesn't give 100%? Zlatan and Mata have missed a few sitters, does it mean they don't do what is asked from them?
Oh so now he's only made 2 mistakes this season? Christ.

top1whoisman

Scout
Oh so now he's only made 2 mistakes this season? Christ.
I'm sure he's done a lot more, as have all other players. None of his mistakes however give me the idea that he's not doing exactly what he's asked to do, or that he doesn't give 100%. Those mistakes were claimed to prove this, which I replied to.

Philadelphian

I'm sure he's done a lot more, as have all other players. None of his mistakes however give me the idea that he's not doing exactly what he's asked to do, or that he doesn't give 100%. Those mistakes were claimed to prove this, which I replied to.
Where do you draw the line between mistake and lack of quality? If he can see the right pass and chooses the wrong pass is that a mistake which prevented a potential scoring opportunity or just excused by a statement like "he's not there to make those passes"? If he can't recognize the space to move into to make himself available for a pass which would then open up our attack, mistake or poor quality? He's a professional footballer at Man Utd. I'd think these are mistakes.

prath92

Where do you draw the line between mistake and lack of quality? If he can see the right pass and chooses the wrong pass is that a mistake which prevented a potential scoring opportunity or just excused by a statement like "he's not there to make those passes"? If he can't recognize the space to move into to make himself available for a pass which would then open up our attack, mistake or poor quality? He's a professional footballer at Man Utd. I'd think these are mistakes.
Those aren't mistakes. It would be stupid to call them mistakes. Lack in quality maybe but even then he is a squad player and logic states that squad players will have less quality than first teamers.

botond

a good game by his standards , but still giving the ball away to often in dangerous positions and passing to players in bad situation just to get rid of the ball . lack of quality , not good enough for a team having title expectations

prath92

a good game by his standards , but still giving the ball away to often in dangerous positions and passing to players in bad situation just to get rid of the ball . lack of quality , not good enough for a team having title expectations
Watching the game, every single player in our team did that. Including de gea.

top1whoisman

Scout
I think, admitting he's not an adventurous passer (good, because that's not what he should be either, a lot of posters seem to agree that he's at his best by keeping it simple), his 86% pass completion is a decent one. I'd say that in some games (Chelsea on Sunday a great example) his role as a ball & possession winner is the right one (and he does it well), where as against an "easier" opponent, especially at home, this is not enough, as we keep the ball and look to create and break down defenses. So in some games I find him very useful, and in some games I'd start him from the bench.

Philadelphian

Those aren't mistakes. It would be stupid to call them mistakes. Lack in quality maybe but even then he is a squad player and logic states that squad players will have less quality than first teamers.
Ok got it, making the wrong choice = poor quality.

prath92

Ok got it, making the wrong choice = poor quality.
How is it making the wrong Choice though? He understands his limitation and that he can't make passes like pogba can. So he quickly gives it to someone who can, like Carrick or pogba. That's surely the right choice. Only an idiot will blame him for not giving through balls. It's not a leap to think that mourinho doesn't play him for his playmaking skills

There are maybe handful of players with the vision and ability to make very good passes from anywhere on the pitch with pinpoint accuracy (in our squad I'd say blind pogba and Carrick are the only ones in that level).

top1whoisman

Scout
How is it making the wrong Choice though? He understands his limitation and that he can't make passes like pogba can. So he quickly gives it to someone who can, like Carrick or pogba. That's surely the right choice. Only an idiot will blame him for not giving through balls. It's not a leap to think that mourinho doesn't play him for his playmaking skills

There are maybe handful of players with the vision and ability to make very good passes from anywhere on the pitch with pinpoint accuracy (in our squad I'd say blind pogba and Carrick are the only ones in that level).
In some of the last few matches he's actually started a few good counter-attacks with his precise forward passes in some pockets. It's rare but he does that every now and then. Probably depends on the role.

prath92

In some of the last few matches he's actually started a few good counter-attacks with his precise forward passes in some pockets. It's rare but he does that every now and then. Probably depends on the role.
Yes true. off the top of my head, I can remember the arsenal game a couple of years back where his passing let di Maria and Rooney on a 2v1 and Rooney scored that chance. His passing may not be smooth looking but he is capable of passing it well when required.

iKeano

This. Credit where it's due, but the OTT praise on here is laughable. You'd think it was a Zidane Vs Brazil in '06 performance or Keane Vs Juve in '99... Fellaini wasn't even in the running for MOTM.
I like his average match performance rating of "1" for Fellaini for every game.
Only because '0' isn't an option.

I don't understand why he isn't banned in this thread
@shamans @shame-ons more like

I would guess because he hasn't actually broken any rules. If they started banning people for having overly critical opinions on certain players, then it would only be fair that they also ban people who go overboard with praise.
Fair play @stevoc , I know you don't agree with me, but appreciate the level-headedness.

Bit shitty to be asking why someone isn't banned from a thread just because you don't agree with their opinion. I don't agree with him either, nor do i agree with many other people but i don't go around asking for them to be banned. Theres an ignore function if he bothers you that much why not use that instead?
This.

In all the time Fellaini has been here, his overall positive contribution has been overwhelmingly outweighed by his negative influence. His lack of vision, massively limited distribution, risk averse backward passing, breaking up attacks with slowing down possession, his massively overrated aerial ability (both in attack and defence), his tackles and 'runs' that are 2seconds off game pace (do not adjust your set, this is real time Fellaini), his lack of tracking back, his hindrance of overall team performance, his numerous idiotic mistakes (Everton penalty, Bayern Munich dribble and Anderlecht goal last week stand out), his lack of goals from set pieces, his ability to be out-headed by players like Joe Allen, his divisive impact on fans, his link to Moyes... All like poison to our midfield and a common denominator of the last three years of wilderness.

He has never controlled a game, never had a major influence that wasn't gained by clutching straws. A few cup goals, some chest control doesn't do it for me. He may be a good servant and try his best, but that's not good enough for Man Utd in my eyes. Lucky for all the Fellaini fan-boys, it isn't my call! Doesn't mean I support Utd any less, its just that I have an opinion. I'll still be renewing my season ticket as standard.

If you want the mods to ban me for the above, then start a petition @shamans

prath92

He has never controlled a game, never had a major influence that wasn't gained by clutching straws
your entire post is bullshit. When mourinho played us in 2015 with Chelsea he employed Zouma in midfield just to mark Fellaini out of the game. Maybe you don't know this but mourinho does that only to players he feel is dangerous (see hazard this time).

That alone is enough to prove that he has in fact been very good for us in many games and also dominated many games and that you have zero credibility when it comes to opinions on him and makes me question about your general understanding of football itself

gza the genius

He's come off the bench in 14 games this season, only two of them fit this narrative though. Ideally, no mistakes would be the perfect scenario, one... Maybe can be forgiven. Two... "unacceptable, confirmed always shite and must get rid". This argument doesn't hold up, all players make mistakes, just need to get used to it and see them for what they are. Not try to extend them into a narrative to push.
It's not like the two you're talking about we're just unlucky or something, they were directly his fault. He gets brought on specifically to protect a lead and instead does the exact opposite. I'm sure there are other times in those 14 games where we've conceded as well where it wasn't his fault, but again, he's brought in specifically to stop that. 2 out of 14 where you do the exact opposite thing you're brought on to do isn't a good number.

Fracture90

Ladies and gentlemen mystery solved. This is why Fellaini is playing under every manager.

Zoom in on his face.

iKeano

your entire post is bullshit. When mourinho played us in 2015 with Chelsea he employed Zouma in midfield just to mark Fellaini out of the game. Maybe you don't know this but mourinho does that only to players he feel is dangerous (see hazard this time).

That alone is enough to prove that he has in fact been very good for us in many games and also dominated many games and that you have zero credibility when it comes to opinions on him and makes me question about your general understanding of football itself
Oh well that's that then.... :houllier:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

That was during a spell where our tactics consisted of lumping it to Fellaini who would bring Young and Blind in to play on the left.

It wasn't because he's particularly dangerous it was because he was the target man and a focal point for us. By marking Fellaini, Mourinho basically shut down our only outlet and Plan A. It was purely based on our nullifying our tactics, not because he is an attacking threat like Hazard.

stevoc

That was during a spell where our tactics consisted of lumping it to Fellaini who would bring Young and Blind in to play on the left.

It wasn't because he's particularly dangerous it was because he was the target man and a focal point for us. By marking Fellaini, Mourinho basically shut down our only outlet and Plan A. It was purely based on our nullifying our tactics, not because he is an attacking threat like Hazard.
Indeed teams were having a hard time pressing us around then, as we always had an out ball to Fellaini to beat the press. Putting Zouma on Fellaini cut that out.

criticalanalysis

In a midfield 3 where we play with high energy and compact (in the middle), Fellani more than holds his own. He can dominate and massively influence those pockets of 5-10 yards of space. Quite often we play this way against the top teams and he performs good to very good. Last game, City game and Liverpool games for example.

It's when the game gets expansive and we require more agility, mobility and nous that he comes up a bit short. Still would prefer him to sit instead of Carrick and have Herrera further ahead though against lower teams. In theory I'd prefer his mobility (compared to Carrick) to get up and down the pitch but the problem is he seems to play up front ffs, when it should be Herrera and Pogba dictating in the final third behind Ibra and co.

el3mel

In a midfield 3 where we play with high energy and compact (in the middle), Fellani more than holds his own. He can dominate and massively influence those pockets of 5-10 yards of space. Quite often we play this way against the top teams and he performs good to very good. Last game, City game and Liverpool games for example.

It's when the game gets expansive and we require more agility, mobility and nous that he comes up a bit short. Still would prefer him to sit instead of Carrick and have Herrera further ahead though against lower teams. In theory I'd prefer his mobility (compared to Carrick) to get up and down the pitch but the problem is he seems to play up front ffs, when it should be Herrera and Pogba dictating in the final third behind Ibra and co.
He's not good enough to set back in front of defenders and be a DMF . Aggression and fighting are present but he lacks anything related to being a DMF. He has no awareness of his surroundings and chase the ball aimlessly, losing his man easily, not to mention his inability to build attacks from the back which will force Pogba or Andre to drop back to get the ball from him. Each time we tried to defend a lead by putting him in front of the goal it led to us conceeding a goal and drawing the game. Herrera is a better DMF than him.

Being a DMF isn't just about being aggressive and tackling a lot it's more than that. He doesn't have vision nor awareness to play in such a position and we should be familiar with this after trying him so many times there and all in vain.

The problem is the guy is full of error and problems in almost any position he plays in. If you put him upfront you'll force yourself to restrict your play to long balls for him to chest, control and pass it to another one an extinct style of play which will lead us nowhere. If you are going to play him as a DMF then you know what will happen and what we saw thousands of time this season and I discussed it in the previous paragraph.

In each position you try to play him in he will cause a prblem and that's why I want him sold in summer. I have no problem if he remains on the bench , though, but being restricted to a certain types of games , not even a constant back-up option or a plan b when losing!

He's like many players in the squad, you can take some good games from time to time but he'll never give you a consistent performance throughout the whole season.

prath92

What nonsense :lol:

I think anyone with even a little memory would remember that we played some gorgeous football in that run with some crisp passing and wonderful tactical play (I still remember the triangles all over the pitch analysis on MOTD). You make it seem as we just played long balls to Fellaini. Maybe you need to watch those games again

iKeano

What nonsense :lol:

I think anyone with even a little memory would remember that we played some gorgeous football in that run with some crisp passing and wonderful tactical play (I still remember the triangles all over the pitch analysis on MOTD). You make it seem as we just played long balls to Fellaini. Maybe you need to watch those games again
Gorgeous football and wonderful tactical displays... during the Van Gaal era?

Watching those games in real time was painful enough.

ManUtd1999

4-2 over City
3-0 over Tottenham
2-1 over Liverpool

All of these results within one month. Was that painful for you?!

prath92

Ok now I'm pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about. As @ManUtd1999 said, we thrashed Liverpool city and Spurs in a month.

iKeano

4-2 over City
3-0 over Tottenham
2-1 over Liverpool

All of these results within one month. Was that painful for you?!
Granted they were good results, but overall the football was diabolical. Much like Fellaini, few good results, but overall painful.

We all make that realisation eventually.
I immediately negate the opinion of anyone what watches Mrs Brown's Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.