Martial agent looking for a new club for him

jamesjimmybyrondean

Given a new DM may be sacrificed in favour of getting Sancho and a CB, I wouldn't be opposed to selling him if it can fund a good DM. We can survive without Martial(we've kinda shown that already) than we can survive without a new DM

The Purley King

He’s capable of the amazing, but only seems bothered one game in 5.
After all this time I think it’s pretty clear he’s not going to change.
Hopefully we get a decent fee but I can’t see many teams giving him £250k per week……

Highfather_24

Selling Martial right now is stupid. Last season if we had sold him we could have got 60-70M+ because he had a 20G+ season. This season if we sell him(because he was off form and injured), we will be lucky to get 30M. Let him stay here for another season, he will obviously play better than this season, and we can then sell him.

Oh and Martial is lucky to be compared to Berbatov. Lots of fans who can only appreciate footballers if they run around like a headless chicken might not like to hear it, but Berbatov was a genius on the field. Great player.

crossy1686

career ending
Or the fact that you can look up on any internet site and see the figures??
13% of income generated last season was from match day across all teams...
Just do a bit of research, it isn't hard.
Thanks for confirming my point. When you operate at 100% of your income, being down 13% is huge. Where do you think transfer fees went this season for most teams? Covering that 13%...

But sure, you know they've all got £60m to spend on a whim.

OL29

You can compare them but Berbatov will always come better though, not because Berbatov himself was just great (we all know this signing had its up and down and didn't live up to its hype), but the reality is Martial has done nothing of note so far in his United career. Few good moments here and there but overall nothing worthy.
Does he? If you take Martial’s 2 highest scoring season’s at United, and compare them to Berbatov’s, Martial comes out on top. All of the criticisms aimed at Berbatov were similar to Martial, with both being inconsistent and lazy according to many. The main difference is that Berbatov played in a better side but there’s no need for this revisionism just because Martial is public enemy number one for a lot of you.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Martial's talent is way overrated anyway, in my opinion. Good but nothing exceptional.
I think his talent was incredible at the start, certainly his potential talent was. One of my favourite debut goals ever hinted at a spectacular career ahead. It was hard not to get caught up in the hype and expectation. How exciting was he back then?

Sadly seems to have regressed. That’s the saddest part for me, not that he didn’t really develop but that he seems to have topped out and gone backwards so quickly.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Selling Martial right now is stupid. Last season if we had sold him we could have got 60-70M+ because he had a 20G+ season. This season if we sell him(because he was off form and injured), we will be lucky to get 30M. Let him stay here for another season, he will obviously play better than this season, and we can then sell him.

Oh and Martial is lucky to be compared to Berbatov. Lots of fans who can only appreciate footballers if they run around like a headless chicken might not like to hear it, but Berbatov was a genius on the field. Great player.
Berba was a class act. Nobody should be comparing him to Martial. we agree there.

Nobody knows what the market is going to be like, we have to wait until the first big move is agreed and that will be the benchmark for other clubs.

Martial is done at United, he should have left last year IMO. There is no guarantee that he will play better. What if he is worse?
I just dont see a place for him in the team and selling him makes sense if the fee is ok, another year of stinking out the place plus one year less on contract could drive the cost down even more.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thanks for confirming my point. When you operate at 100% of your income, being down 13% is huge. Where do you think transfer fees went this season for most teams? Covering that 13%...

But sure, you know they've all got £60m to spend on a whim.
Your point was that 99% of clubs have lost their major source of income.

That just isn't the case, half of the clubs in the Premiership can still turn in a profit without fans watching games.

Clubs still have money to spend, they just have to be more careful how they spend it.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t subscribe to nothing that isn’t successful. So saying a man doesn’t work with our crap style of play and unsuccessful trophy cabinet is peeing in the wind to me. Especially when Big Rom is out here winning… Sold because he doesn’t suit our style but yet you speak about Cavani who plays exactly the same as Rom.

Absolute carnage. New DoF I hope you have some sense.
He asked to leave???

And that statement proves you haven't watched either play

OohAahMartial

Consensus is clear that he is expendable and not fulfilled his potential. The question then comes, do we replace him, and if so, with who?

For the LW we have Rashford getting most of the games, Sancho could move left when Rashy needs a rest, we have James, IF Pogba doesn't go as well then he seems tohave become 2nd choice there already, and from the kids we have Elanga, Amad who need game time, presumably in the Cups and as subs. So I think Martial is expendable on the left.

But up front we have 35yr old Cavani and a teenage Mason. I do think McNeil and Hugill might appear in Cup games but, not expecting much yet. Rashy has filled in there before but never convincingly. I think the idea is replace him with Haaland next year, but if the lad leaves this summer then a stop gap is needed. Ronaldo? Aguero? Costa? Another old master of the art coming in wouldn't surprise me. We need someone, but who?

snk123

He really wasn't. I understand he has that charisma and people are nostalgic but getting Berbatov was Fergie's biggest mistakes. It disjointed our attack and unsettled Tevez who was way more important to us.

OL29

He really wasn't. I understand he has that charisma and people are nostalgic but getting Berbatov was Fergie's biggest mistakes. It disjointed our attack and unsettled Tevez who was way more important to us.
Yeah and much of the consensus at round the time reflected this. I liked him, but let’s not pretend that he was universally popular, plenty of United fans loved to slate him when he was with us.

davidmichael

Martial has 3 years left on his contract doesn't he ? He and his agent can throw their toys out the pram if they want but on the back of how piss poor Martial was last season he will have to earn his place back in the team with performances or accept a squad role, no one to blame but himself.

I don’t see us buying a striker unless it’s exceptional circumstances as we’ve got Cavani, Greenwood and Martial for one spot and it’s clear Sancho, a centre back and a defensive midfielder are our priorities this summer. If Martial performs next season like last then he’ll 100% be shipped off but I fully expect to see him here next season even if sulking most of it.

Rajma

I think his talent was incredible at the start, certainly his potential talent was. One of my favourite debut goals ever hinted at a spectacular career ahead. It was hard not to get caught up in the hype and expectation. How exciting was he back then?

Sadly seems to have regressed. That’s the saddest part for me, not that he didn’t really develop but that he seems to have topped out and gone backwards so quickly.
Funny thing he was working extremely hard under LVG, running up and down that right flank. His attitude on the pitch has only worsened during his years here since the arrival. He really should be sold now, I genuinely don’t like seeing him in our tshirt anymore.

Speako

Comparing Berbatov to Martial is very disrespectful to the Bulgarian.
People have very short memories. Berbatov didn’t even make the 2011 champions league final squad for good reason. And this was only three years after we paid nearly £30m for him. I actually think the comparison is spot on.

Judas

Open to offers
Berbatov didn't fit, that much was obvious, but he was a lot more consistent, more enjoyable to watch more often, less infuriating and overall less disappointing than Martial.

Idxomer

Berbatov was a huge disappointment, up there with selling Stam as one of Fergie's biggest mistakes. He was sold a year after his best season when he scored like half his goals in 3 games.

Bobade

Berba was a class act. Nobody should be comparing him to Martial. we agree there.

Nobody knows what the market is going to be like, we have to wait until the first big move is agreed and that will be the benchmark for other clubs.

Martial is done at United, he should have left last year IMO. There is no guarantee that he will play better. What if he is worse?
I just dont see a place for him in the team and selling him makes sense if the fee is ok, another year of stinking out the place plus one year less on contract could drive the cost down even more.
It's easy to say that now in hindsight, but why would we have sold him last year ? He was fantastic, player of the season and top scorer. It looked like it had finally clicked for him.

Mainoldo

Cavani is second to none in finding space and I actually liked how Jose put it recently, that Cavani was our best defender. There is no other player I would really compare him to. He makes his teammates better.
Is he not good at finding space to score goals? What exactly does 30 goal a season Lukaku do then?

The principal of what I’m saying is those two strikers are pouches. If we want an upgrade on Cavani name me that striker with the same defensive work rate?

Is it Haaland or Kane?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They not 30 goal a season poachers no?
Come on though they play completely different. Cavani does a lot of link up play outside the box, even in our own half then breaks his neck to get in the box

lukaku does not. He hangs around waiting for a chance. He’s more like Ian Rush

TheBreadTruck

I dunno, I've never really bought into the 'lazy' narrative to be honest - watching games on TV skews off-the-ball a lot, and I always remember Martial pressing well as a CF and making decent runs which were never really capitalised on -> you'd have expected that to not be an issue with Bruno in team, but he hasn't really shone with Bruno because AM likes to drop deeper to pick up the ball (then release L/R Wing Forwards) and that's a space that Bruno has been operating in.

I don't think he's going anywhere - he's had a torrid season, but has been in/out with injuries; hope it'll click again next season, and if so on paper, if we add Sancho, we have an absolutely terrifying array of attacking talent across the front that are all able to interchange.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So don't sell him because he just had horrible season (as he might come good, or his value is low anyway). But if then he's having a good next season, some will scream if United want to sell him.

Hmm..

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe not regressed, it's just that during his off days he's very bad as he contributes nothing at all in the match. I think his ceilings have improved a little bit, he's for sure a better CF now on his day, which is the main problem because he's no longer a teenager but has a consistency of one.

Mainoldo

Come on though they play completely different. Cavani does a lot of link up play outside the box, even in our own half then breaks his neck to get in the box

lukaku does not. He hangs around waiting for a chance. He’s more like Ian Rush
But I’m confused so we want a striker that runs around like Rooney and scores like RVN?

So where do they make them then? Also Martial’s all round play is better than Cavani’s. His issue is his lack of drive to put the ball in the back of the net.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
But I’m confused so we want a striker that runs around like Rooney and scores like RVN?

So where do they make them then? Also Martial’s all round play is better than Cavani’s. His issue is his lack of drive to put the ball in the back of the net.
Harry Kane does it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d have martial over Berbatov. Martial would have been ridiculous in that 2010 team.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So don't sell him because he just had horrible season (as he might come good, or his value is low anyway). But if then he's having a good next season, some will scream if United want to sell him.

Hmm..
This. Hoping hes going to have a great season so his value goes up, and then have him sold is daft.

Hes been here 5 years now, 3 different managers with 3 different man management styles and tactical styles and the story just repeats itself. Either he cant handle the weather in Manchester or he simply lacks the mentality to become the top player he could become.

Just cut our losses and be done with it

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I’m not talking about martial or even what we’re looking for. I am simply talking about your assertion that cavani and lukaku are similar types of players, which is complete nonsense. They are very different

Highfather_24

I wasnt debating whether he fit our team, or whether he was a huge success here. Or even if he was better/worse than Tevez, who was a very good striker as well. I would say Berba was inconsistent. However that is meaningless now. Couldnt care less.

What I'm saying is Berbatov was a great footballer, and remember he didnt just play for Utd. I dont compare G+A stats with rivals as a dick measuring contest, and I dont care for it. I watch football for the joy of watching football. Berbatov was an artist on the pitch. I'd rather watch him play ANYDAY than a tap in merchant with better stats who runs around like a headless chicken because "pashion" .

I consider myself lucky I saw him don the red of United. His touch, technique, grace and his intelligence on the pitch was so amazing to see.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

I’m not talking about martial or even what we’re looking for. I am simply talking about your assertion that cavani and lukaku are similar types of players, which is complete nonsense. They are very different
They are not different with regards to the specifics we want. As much as I question Ole he has made it quite clear he is looking for a ‘break your nose for a goal’ type of striker. Both Lukaku and Cavani fit that criteria.

So don’t question what is quite clear.

Silas

He should've left after being our player of the season?