Martial agent looking for a new club for him

KW2006

Perfect example that aside from technical and physical talents, you also need exceptional character qualities to be exceptionally successful in football.

I am one of his biggest fans. I think he could still have a very successful career, but would be very difficult to reach Benezma's level. Move to another team/different environment may not be the worst thing for him at this stage of career.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They are not different with regards to the specifics we want. As much as I question Ole he has made it quite clear he is looking for a ‘break your nose for a goal’ type of striker. Both Lukaku and Cavani fit that criteria.

So don’t question what is quite clear.
But that’s not what you said in your original post. You said they are similar types of player when they clearly arent

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Is he not still the "golden goose" of the Glaziers, or have things changed?

Admittedly, on his day he can be a world beater, but his inconsistencies are worrying. I honestly can't believe how frustrating he can be when carrying the ball and running at opposition from the left. The amount of times he gets dispossessed, falls over and sits with his hands in the air, waiting for a free kick, has become normality. Whereas the likes of Bruno will cover every single blade of grass looking to recover his losses.

That said, he'll always be remembered for his debut goal against the dippers.

Reactions: Sultan

abkmufc92

Hopefully this is true, been here six season now and turned up for two, how many more season do we need to waste on him.

sp_107

Perfect example that aside from technical and physical talents, you also need exceptional character qualities to be exceptionally successful in football.

I am one of his biggest fans. I think he could still have a very successful career, but would be very difficult to reach Benezma's level. Move to another team/different environment may not be the worst thing for him at this stage of career.
Agreed, Iam OK if we sell Martial and Pogba this year and spend money on Sancho/Grealish.

It would improve the team.

Giggsy13

This is a squad thin in depth yet we give up on a player who’s had an unusually poor season? I’d play Martial on the left and occasionally as our 9, no need to give up on him after a freak season by his standard.

Dansk

I don't have the patience for a player who can go for such long stretches of time without playing well once. Dips in form are one thing, but when someone can be terrible for an entire season, at the age of 25, they're not likely to become consistent. It's a good idea to sell him while he's worth anything. Odds are that he'd be unsellable in a year.

If he had been astonishingly good when at his best, that might warrant more patience. Since he has never actually been an amazing player, I don't see the problem with selling. At his very best, he has been a 7.5/10. It's clear by now that he doesn't have the mentality for the top level, so there's no reason to cling to him.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Did anyone think Martial would get anywhere near Benzema's level ? :houllier:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is a squad thin in depth yet we give up on a player who’s had an unusually poor season? I’d play Martial on the left and occasionally as our 9, no need to give up on him after a freak season by his standard.
I see where you are coming from but Martial is 25, he has been at United for 6 years and it's increasingly clear that at this level he is a squad player. You don't think that it would be a good idea to sell him and bring a 22-23 years old attacker that is cheaper and can surprise us? I don't have names but the point is that Martial has reached a point where he isn't unmovable from United's perspective, we kind of know what we have in him and that's an upgradable player.

Giggsy13

I see where you are coming from but Martial is 25, he has been at United for 6 years and it's increasingly clear that at this level he is a squad player. You don't think that it would be a good idea to sell him and bring a 22-23 years old attacker that is cheaper and can surprise us? I don't have names but the point is that Martial has reached a point where he isn't unmovable from United's perspective, we kind of know what we have in him and that's an upgradable player.
Before the injury, he was finally starting to round into form. This year was unusual in many respects for him and I think we’ll regret letting him go. He may not ever become a genuinely world class player but he could be a very good one who can start some games and come off the bench. He won’t be guaranteed a starting spot at Madrid, if the rumours are true, so it doesn’t make sense for him to leave imo when there’s a very good chance he bounces back with us, and would still have a meaningful role in the squad.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yeah well said

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Before the injury, he was finally starting to round into form. This year was unusual in many respects for him and I think we’ll regret letting him go. He may not ever become a genuinely world class player but he could be a very good one who can start some games and come off the bench. He won’t be guaranteed a starting spot at Madrid, if the rumours are true, so it doesn’t make sense for him to leave imo when there’s a very good chance he bounces back with us, and would still have a meaningful role in the squad.
His time with us so far has shown that he's not interested in any form of competition for his starting role, he's useless as a squad player and just not good enough to warrant starting every game when we should be trying to upgrade on him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's had one good season here the rest have been hugely inconsistent at best.
Should we give him another 5 years to prove he's a starter ?

He's had long enough.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Who in their right mind will pick up his contract? Because Martial is not going to take even 1 euro pay cut to his weekly wage to move, and I can't see how any other club, including Madrid or whoever deciding to match his wages to get him signed on top of the transfer fee.

Water Melon

Who in their right mind will pick up his contract? Because Martial is not going to take even 1 euro pay cut to his weekly wage to move, and I can't see how any other club, including Madrid or whoever deciding to match his wages to get him signed on top of the transfer fee.
How do you know this?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How do you know this?
Because the sky is blue and players don't take pay cuts unless they're nearing the end of their career or under very special circumstances. He is under contract until 2025 at £250K/week, there is no way he takes a pay cut and lets go of all that money to accept something more along the lines of even £ £200K/week (which I don't see Madrid or anyone else offering in the first place).

That's letting go of over £10m over the next 4 years. No one in their right mind is doing that.

Giggsy13

He's had one good season here the rest have been hugely inconsistent at best.
Should we give him another 5 years to prove he's a starter ?

He's had long enough.
Give him a year to prove his worth. He was excellent after project restart and arguably our best player at that time. We need squad depth and we can’t rely on the likes of James or Mata to make an impact.

Giggsy13

His time with us so far has shown that he's not interested in any form of competition for his starting role, he's useless as a squad player and just not good enough to warrant starting every game when we should be trying to upgrade on him.
Just because he has a resting bitch face doesn’t mean he’s disinterested. Even we if sign Sancho, we’re short on options, if one or two of our forwards get injured. Depth wins out over the course of a season and you need players like Martial.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Are you asking him to back up his comments with facts because if you are you have seriously misunderstood how the Caf works.
There's not much facts in speculations, but I answered it above and I think I'm making enough sense. I think it's a far bigger leap to assume Martial will take a pay cut rather than dig his heels in and stay with his massive contract because he will struggle to find a better offer for the rest of his career short of a massive transformation to his output and consistency.

StonedhamsterZA

I don’t think the money we’d recoup makes it worth selling him.

We have very little depth in some positions, and if we have any injuries to our wings and strikers (assuming we get someone like Sancho and a striker) then we are down to barebones.

Not saying he’s a squad player, as I think he can still deliver on some potential, but I don’t think we will benefit from the sale.

littleman

RE: Letting go Martial, it's not just about saving on that salary, it's about setting the standard for MUFC.

Mainoldo

But that’s not what you said in your original post. You said they are similar types of player when they clearly arent
I just explained myself. The point is still the same. They are what people call ‘proper’ CF. Why is what I said different. They are similar.

golden_blunder

Staff
I just explained myself. The point is still the same. They are what people call ‘proper’ CF. Why is what I said different. They are similar.
Because they might be goalscorers but they are completely different in any other way! You can be a goal scorer but involved in team play like cavani, Kane etc or you can be one like lukaku who doesn’t do much outside of goals, like inzaghi at Milan or Rush at Liverpool. Completely different players

Mainoldo

Because they might be goalscorers but they are completely different in any other way! You can be a goal scorer but involved in team play like cavani, Kane etc or you can be one like lukaku who doesn’t do much outside of goals, like inzaghi at Milan or Rush at Liverpool. Completely different players
Cavani is not good in build up play. His control is sometimish and I wouldn’t say he is creative or has hold up play. He is however hardworking. So what we are arguing about is style. However they are in the team for the same thing. One just runs more than the other.

golden_blunder

Staff
Cavani is not good in build up play. His control is sometimish and I wouldn’t say he is creative or has hold up play. He is however hardworking. So what we are arguing about is style. However they are in the team for the same thing. One just runs more than the other.
I disagree. Could you see lukaku playing Greenwood in with an outside of the boot ball? No, neither could I.
but we’re going round in circles so let’s agree to disagree

sp_107

Martial and Pogba 2 players didnt do justice to their astromical salaries in last 5 years.I think its difficult to offload Martial unless we offer some compensation if takes pay cut in his next move.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Martial and Pogba 2 players didnt do justice to their astromical salaries in last 5 years.I think its difficult to offload Martial unless we offer some compensation if takes pay cut in his next move.
We need more leaders who lead through working hard and playing aggressively. We are still way too passive for my liking. Skilful lads but not fighters. Aggression and creatively are the two things we are missing most.

sp_107

We need more leaders who lead through working hard and playing aggressively. We are still way too passive for my liking. Skilful lads but not fighters. Aggression and creatively are the two things we are missing most.
Yes, this team really need few of those kind.Grealish comes to my mind

Do you guys think of any alternatives who can bring in good leadership/aggressive/fighting qualities

mswiss

I can see us keeping a hold of Lingard if we are looking to sell Martial.
Wouldn't bother me. Martials off the call movement is pretty bad which is what makes him so inconsistent. This is one of lingards strengths