Martial agent looking for a new club for him

ROFLUTION

What can we get from him? 45-50m gbp in today's market?

Don't think we can get a similar player for that amount - Martial is mature now and his edge dribling/finishing is not something we would only pay 45-50m for - Even if, it'd still be an unknown. With Martial we got nice competition and a solid player.

ROFLUTION

Kane = Martial, Lingard and £10
More like £40

Kane, economically speaking, is a stupid buy for us, no resale value - we're not City - we have to think of these things having just splashed a huge wage on Sancho too while still having De Gea and Pogba on our books

afatzp

I actually think Martial would benefit from Rashford's absence. They two did not have the chemistry. Martial usually makes movement when he has eye contact with the ball holder and try to create some space out, but Rashford's passing is either not in time or not accurate. Overall, Rashford's timing of his passing is quite unpredictable and teammates seem hard to collaborate with him. Only like Cavani could snap one or two chances out of massive running in and out trying to accommodate Rashford's rhythm.

I'm not trying to undermine Rashford as he actually was the key player and the only one in the attack group who could provide the explosive speed and running behind to stretch the defenders. That is the key element which enables us to play counter-attack style. But in the second half of last season, he simply did this key contribution too little too rare , due to whatever reasons. If he opts or been asked to play like a wide-playmaker, his technical skills are simply not qualified for the job, and I would rather choose Sacho or Pogba play this role at left wing , as they are better in sync with Martial/Cavani/Greenwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

Commentary

I don't really want to see him go, unless it's a deal to bring in a central defensive midfielder like Rueben Neves.

...but, I'd prefer we sold Jesse Lingard and Daniel James first.

sherrinford

Not a question of talent with Martial, but the effort.

2 questions for you:

1) Do you think Martial can be the main striker on the team if we are to push for the title?

2) Do you think he will be happy and perform if he was to be a squad player?
I'm not sure what 'main striker' is supposed to mean really.

I think that he can be the starting central attacker in a front three for a team competing to win the league, certainly. I would hope that he finds his scoring touch again, but I wouldn't be expecting him to consistently rack up the kind of numbers usually seen from league top scorers/ an elite team's undisputed principle goalscorer. So I wouldn't bank on him being United's 'main striker' in that sense, nor in the sense of being the team's star attacker/ player generally - the 'main man' as I've read on here Martial is apparently supposed to be as the starting central attacker - when we have other high quality attacking players such as Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford and now Sancho.

I don't see why anyone would be happy to be a squad player, but Martial would be fully capable of working his way back into a starting role at the club. He has done so before.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
New haircut = change of attitude this season?

I think we all know a focused martial is fantastic but an unfocused one may as well play a kid

Idxomer

What can we get from him? 45-50m gbp in today's market?

Don't think we can get a similar player for that amount - Martial is mature now and his edge dribling/finishing is not something we would only pay 45-50m for - Even if, it'd still be an unknown. With Martial we got nice competition and a solid player.
The only way I could see him leaving is if Spurs sell Kane, get desperate in the last weak of the transfer window and offer something stupid like 60m.

Otherwise, he's staying and this thread's source is one of the biggest bullshit merchants around.

Coops73

I think we all know a focused martial is fantastic but an unfocused one may as well play a kid
Can’t tell unless I see this new haircut.

A mullet, for example, would suggest he’s given up.

Lyng

Its interesting to see how he reacts to less competition. Rashford being gone for the next months, opens the door for Martial to start every time. Its up to him to take this chance.
This season, unless he gets sold of course, is make or break. Last season was bad from Martial, but the prior season he was fantastic.

Personally I think he struggles heavily with confidence and he seems to be at his best without competition. Pretty much the opposite of Shaw.
If my belief is true, though, that would mean he is not fit for United. We should always try to be at the very top, and top clubs need several great players for each spot, and players who are hungry and get motivated by competition.

3vra

200 fantasy points this season.
With Sancho and rested Bruno he is gonna be POTM at some point.

Coops73

Shaved head
Ok, that would suggest a new aggressive approach, rid of the distractions of any barnet whatsoever so that he can fully focus on the job in hand…either that or he had a shocking case of nits and his mum buzz cut him before sending him off to training.

LoneStar

Don't want to sell him unless we plan to replace him with a good striker in this window, which looks very unlikely.

Cavani was very good for us, but he's an year older, and has had injury problems in the past. Greenwood I'm not convinced can take up the CF mantle yet. With Rashford out for 3 months, we don't have a lot of quality options upfront.

Best case scenario is he performs decently for us, and we can sell him next window when we get a wc striker.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he will have very good season, like 2019-20 season. We also have lot of competition for places which should push all the attacking players to up their game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Martial is inconsistent but he's a tremendous player when on form. With Cavani being one year older, Rashford being injured and Diallo/Elanga being inexperienced, Id say we should keep him for another year. If we need the money then we can always sell James and Lingard who are far worse players then he is. Next year Rashford would hopefully be fit, Greenwood would have had enough time upfront to make the position his own and Elanga/Diallo will be one year older. At that point we can take our decision regarding Martial.

roonster09

Scout
Of all the absolute cock written on here the idea Aston Villa or even Spurs wouldn’t want Martial really does take the fecking biscuit.
Its same for every player isn't it. Many said Lingard isn't good enough to be a regular PL player for decent club, he was one of best player for West Ham who finished in very decent position.

People said Lukaku won't be signed by top club, he won Serie A with Inter, same with players like Young, Darmian.

Now it's Martial's turn. Apparently Fred and McTominay are the worst in top 10 clubs.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Of all the absolute cock written on here the idea Aston Villa or even Spurs wouldn’t want Martial really does take the fecking biscuit.
Its same for every player isn't it. Many said Lingard isn't good enough to be a regular PL player for decent club, he was one of best player for West Ham who finished in very decent position.

People said Lukaku won't be signed by top club, he won Serie A with Inter, same with players like Young, Darmian.

Now it's Martial's turn. Apparently Fred and McTominay are the worst in top 10 clubs.
If you ask me, the problem with us selling players are

a- we ask too much for our players in terms of fees. 30m for Lingard is ridiculous expecially considering he's got 1 year left in his contract
b- Most of our players are on a ridiculous salary. For example DDG is the most paid goalkeeper in the world.

Having said that, most would do well at other EPL clubs.

Regarding McFred the issue here is that they are two players doing the same job. They aren't the Keane/Kante level of DM who can shoulder all the defensive duties left by Pogba singlehandedly (ie McT or Fred on their own) However if we replace Pogba with a defensive playmaker such as Neves or Locatelli then I believe that we'll be fine.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

I’d imagine the plan is this. Cavani number 1. Martial back up. 2022/23 Cavani leaves, buy Haaland/Mbappe number 1, Martial back up until Greenwood removes him. I doubt we’ll be selling him until there is genuine replacements.

Hopefully he has a good year and one not interrupted with suspensions and injuries. I really want to see the link up with Sancho, DVB and Amad.

Glorio

I feel that Martial just happens to be one of those that need extrinsic motivation from time to time to perform (case it point - managed to be up for it when playing the noisy neighbours last year) and I'm unsure if he'll ever grow out of it.

The mixture of playing 2 punishing seasons on the bounce plus the lack of charged fans on your back either cheering/jeering is probably the worst combination for such a player, which is why I think he'll be very good this season as things return to normality.

All that said, the above is why it's risky relying on such a player as the main striker for such a big club, and thus, our current setup should hopefully work well in the interim i.e. sharing the role with an experienced and exemplary Cavani who shouldn't play every game; meaning Martial has the confidence that he will get opportunities to impress, but will also be kept honest by Cavani's hungry performances.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I’d imagine the plan is this. Cavani number 1. Martial back up. 2022/23 Cavani leaves, buy Haaland/Mbappe number 1, Martial back up until Greenwood removes him. I doubt we’ll be selling him until there is genuine replacements.

Hopefully he has a good year and one not interrupted with suspensions and injuries. I really want to see the link up with Sancho, DVB and Amad.
He's earning too much to be a backup. The club will want to move him on if they feel he's not going to be a starter.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Sounds like the problem lies in us not being able to get the best out of our players which is why I feel that is constantly buying better player is only the short term fix.

Andersons Dietician

He's earning too much to be a backup. The club will want to move him on if they feel he's not going to be a starter.
He earns 180k the rest in bonuses if certain criteria is met. Don’t let this Caf nonsense he’s on 250k a week fool you.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sounds like the problem lies in us not being able to get the best out of our players which is why I feel that is constantly buying better player is only the short term fix.
Why is it our fault that these players can't deal with playing for United?

Bestietom

I think he will have very good season, like 2019-20 season. We also have lot of competition for places which should push all the attacking players to up their game.
Isn't he up for sale.? His agent looking for new club for him, is what Sky sports are saying.

roonster09

Scout
Isn't he up for sale.? His agent looking for new club for him, is what Sky sports are saying.
I don't think so. I haven't seen any reliable journalists reporting this. Ducker, Luckhurst and others posted list of players we are trying to sell, none of them mentioned Martial in their list. I might be wrong but I don't remember anyone saying his name at all.

OrcaFat

Economics are a factor these days since players are paid proportionately more now.

But to win the league, our back-up players need to be as good as our first choice players, more or less. They have to be good enough to challenge to break into the team and actually get in the team on merit if the incumbents drop their level.

In that sense we have to ask if Martial is good enough to be back up and not ask if he is cheap enough.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
When you shave you're head you feel more aggresive. This might work well for Martial because he has been lacking a bit of steel. Hope he gets of to a flyer.

theklr

Actually looking forward to Martial, Greenwood and Cavani duking it out for the no9 spot this season. Will be plenty of games to watch them with all the cups.

Andersons Dietician

The club clearly feels the same as you considering all the ridiculous salaries they're giving to players who they're trying to sell.
Are they trying to sell him though or did one outlet say something that created this thread. Like many have said when ever it’s talked about selling players from more reputable journos his name isn’t mentioned. Thinking it through also it makes no sense to sell him unless we are buying another striker. Which will happen next year when Cavani leaves and we’ll go for Haaland

roonster09

Scout
I don't think back up should be read as #2 for a GK position. For outfielders, it's more of a rotational players unless we are talking about players like James last season, Matic.

So from the other post, I think it means he will be in a position like B.Silva, Mahrez who are not first choice but they are also not back ups. They are rotated in and out of the side.

ColvaleGoa

The only way I could see him leaving is if Spurs sell Kane, get desperate in the last weak of the transfer window and offer something stupid like 60m.

Otherwise, he's staying and this thread's source is one of the biggest bullshit merchants around.
It would be foolish to sell Martial this late even for £60m.

Selll him and buy Danny ings for 30m? Why put ourselves in that position?

EdinburghDevil

I can't see him leaving this summer. Perhaps next summer he'll be sold if we get a marquee centre forward signing.

With Rashford out for around 12 weeks and Cavani's age, he'll get plenty of game time.

Womp

idiot
Selling him would be stupid and tbf I gave up on him some time ago now. Rashford will start for us out left, but he's out for a considerable amount of time. Even though I think Mason is ahead of Martial and Sancho will be too, he is good rotation for the CF and LW position, especially early on in the season when we have no Marcus.

Bestietom

I can't see him leaving this summer. Perhaps next summer he'll be sold if we get a marquee centre forward signing.

With Rashford out for around 12 weeks and Cavani's age, he'll get plenty of game time.
He has got his chances, if we can get 50/60m for him I would let him go now.