Martial agent looking for a new club for him

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The tables were a response to you saying Cavani and Martial will be rotated equally. Why would that be when Cavani became our main CF after Martial was stinking it up? The tables show that happening.

Yes, Greenwood was dropped early on in the season. But let's not forget Greenwood scored 7 goals in one month at the end of the season. That's Martial's season total. In that form, Greenwood deserves to be ahead of Martial (which could still be 3rd choice when Rashford gets back and Sancho does well)

How do you not get Sancho will be big difference this season? Do you think we spent 85m for a squad player?
If you think Martial will be first choice LW instead of Rashford or Sancho, just say so, so I can stop wasting my time.
Stop asking "how do you not get" this that and random nonsense when I have already said Martial was shit last season and I don't think he will be as shit this season and it's not his regular season.

Also not sure what's the point of table with games played in the month of April and May when Martial was injured from March.

I didn't say Martial will be the first choice LW ffs, I said if you go by your black and white definition then he is first choice LW as Rashford was moved to RW to play Martial as LW.

You are already wasting your time by not reading the posts properly, so don't bother.

Superunknown

We should move him on and bring somebody else in, but I can't see him leaving this season. For the long term, we're surely just delaying the inevitable, because he hasn't shown enough in the six seasons that he's spent at the club that he has it in him to be a consistently high performer. We'll hold onto him for yet another year because we're not close to signing another top quality striker.

On another note, we've got to get better at moving players on when they don't look like working out. Mad to think that Martial has been at the club for six seasons...

Raven

Can we lock this stupid fecking thread? Failing that, can we at least have a title change to let everyone know it's not on the cards?

Gandalf

He is effectively the back up to Cavani this season and will be the back up to whoever we sign next season. I have no idea why people are so keen to get rid of him when we need a squad and options off the bench.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That Martial isn't a reliable goalscorer and can't be classed as some great finisher.
That's not unreliable like he is for us. That's shite for France. It's not just his finishing though. He didn't get into scoring positions a lot, which is why the difference with Cavani was night and day when he came on.
Stop asking "how do you not get" this that and random nonsense when I have already said Martial was shit last season and I don't think he will be as shit this season and it's not his regular season.

I didn't say Martial will be the first choice LW ffs, I said if you go by your black and white definition then he is first choice LW as Rashford was moved to RW to play Martial as LW.

You are already wasting your time by not reading the posts properly, so don't bother.
Greenwood is growing and much better than Martial on the wing in recent history. You were on about some Greenwood LW nonsense when I mentioned this. Is it really that hard to think Rashford/Sancho LW and Greenwood RW? (Sancho moves to the left) when Greenwood is in that kinda form?

You keep mentioning the stat table showing Martial played LW, but refuse to acknowledge he
  • drops in the hierarchy with Sancho coming in (or don't you think we bought a starter for 85m?)
  • lost his starting CF spot to Cavani
Martial will be a complete non factor at LW this season unless Sancho flops (knock on wood) when Rashford returns. He should be competing for first guy off the bench with Greenwood (Rashford - Cavani - Sancho) and not "rotating equally" with Cavani, which he hasn't been since late January.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can we lock this stupid fecking thread? Failing that, can we at least have a title change to let everyone know it's not on the cards?
Yeah I don't know what this thread is about if I'm honest. Absolutely nothing to suggest he's leaving.

roonster09

Scout
That's not unreliable like he is for us. That's shite for France. It's not just his finishing though. He didn't get into scoring positions a lot, which is why the difference with Cavani was night and day when he came on.

Greenwood is growing and much better than Martial on the wing in recent history. You were on about some Greenwood LW nonsense when I mentioned this. Is it really that hard to think Rashford/Sancho LW and Greenwood RW? (Sancho moves to the left) when Greenwood is in that kinda form?

You keep mentioning the stat table showing Martial played LW, but refuse to acknowledge he
  • drops in the hierarchy with Sancho coming in (or don't you think we bought a starter for 85m?)
  • lost his starting CF spot to Cavani
Martial will be a complete non factor at LW this season unless Sancho flops (knock on wood) when Rashford returns. He should be competing for first guy off the bench with Greenwood (Rashford - Cavani - Sancho) and not "rotating equally" with Cavani, which he hasn't been since late January.
What a pile of nonsense with bits and pieces.

I said Martial was shit last season and it's not his normal season, so I expect him to be rotated with Cavani. For some reason you think Martial will end up in this shit form forever.

Your table should tell you how highly Ole rates him that when he had to play Cavani as CF, he moved Martial to LW and Rashford to RW, Greenwood to the bench. He could have easily dropped Martial to the bench with Rashford as LW and Greenwood as RW, but he didn't. He still continued to play him. When that's the case, why is it impossible for Ole to rotate him with Cavani when the player Martial is competing with is Old player who works like maniac on the pitch which means he needs recovery time too with hectic schedule.

Yeah keep beating the drum and repeatedly that Martial will be a non entity while Ole rotates and plays him regularly.

roonster09

Scout
Just wishful thinking from some overly angry internet users. How does one go about get a title changed.
Yeah imagine losing your shit for saying Martial will be rotated with Cavani.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Some of our fans seem to really dislike our black French players and to spend loads of time making assumptions about their character and ignoring anything they've done well on the pitch in order to justify their belief that the club would be better off just getting rid.

I understand it more with Pogba, that has some basis in fact - even when the venom directed at him is well over the top - but with Martial it just seems like a vendetta.

Just saying...
Bollocks.

Every fan supports the club, every fan has players they like and dislike - some fans moaned at Maguire last year for turn of pace, some moaned at McTominays ability, some moaned about James’ shooting, some moaned about Lindelofs physicality and plenty moaned about the attitude/workrate of Pogba and Martial.

Leave the insinuated racism comments out of it.

devilo

Bollocks.

Every fan supports the club, every fan has players they like and dislike - some fans moaned at Maguire last year for turn of pace, some moaned at McTominays ability, some moaned about James’ shooting, some moaned about Lindelofs physicality and plenty moaned about the attitude/workrate of Pogba and Martial.

Leave the insinuated racism comments out of it.
Completely agree. Too many on here playing the racist card every time someone has a perfectly valid gripe with players that just happen to be black.

Steve 007

I think we have to give Martial one more year.
My logic being Cavani as striker, Jadon RW, Rashford LW.
Martial filling for Rashford and Cavani especially as Rashford is injured. Greenwood filling for Jadon and Cavani. Gives us many options.
James isn’t good enough, Martial is better. No one else is ready. Should be enough game time for them all and if Martial is not in form he can sit on the bench. The other reason to keep him a season is that the market is poor until teams finances get better so we’d have to sell him cheap, keeping him another year doesn’t decrease his value due to today’s market.

Redcy

It's fascinating isn't it? It's like there are loads of people here who seem determined to deny he has ever played well for us.

If he has a season like 19/20 we wouldn't have a problem getting rid of him. The question would be 'do we want to sell a 20 goal a season striker?' 'can we replace a 20 goal a season striker?'

It's a really bad idea to sell an asset when it's just performed at its worst for 6 years. If we were trying to sell Lingard at the end of last season we would be optimistic to ask for £5m. Now we're asking for £30m.

It's like you guys who are determined to sell Martial now don't understand what form is, or the basic logistics of selling players.
That makes less sense, the issue becomes if we don't sell him this year and he has another year like any of the other 5 years he has been here what would his value be? Prior to 19/20 his record, tbf from other positions at times, has always been a goal 1 in 3/5. Martial has shown one year of genuine class, people talk about the other season where he did well and was one of our "best players", but that bar seems pretty low given his actual output. The thing is we know he isn't going anywhere now, and probably for the next 3 years.

The major difference between people on here seems to be what level you think he is:

Group 1: His 19/20 was standout compared to the other seasons he was here, last year was slightly below his level but he is never going back to that 19/20 level
Group 2: His 20/21 was standout compared to the other seasons, its just that you cant compare the other seasons equally due to managers and position. He will go back to being a top class striker this year

Neither really has any evidence if we are being honest, he has only had consistency of position and manager in two seasons. One he was probably our worst attacker output and effort wise, one he was great output and effort wise.

Josh 76

Martial filling for Rashford and Cavani especially as Rashford is injured. Greenwood filling for Jadon and Cavani. Gives us many options.
James isn’t good enough, Martial is better. No one else is ready. Should be enough game time for them all and if Martial is not in form he can sit on the bench. The other reason to keep him a season is that the market is poor until teams finances get better so we’d have to sell him cheap, keeping him another year doesn’t decrease his value due to today’s market.
Good post

Redcy

Well the question is if Inter offered £50m, and you don't believe he can go back to 19/20 levels, he will probably worth less than that next year. We are not selling though so irrelevant

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What a pile of nonsense with bits and pieces.

I said Martial was shit last season and it's not his normal season, so I expect him to be rotated with Cavani. For some reason you think Martial will end up in this shit form forever.

Your table should tell you how highly Ole rates him that when he had to play Cavani as CF, he moved Martial to LW and Rashford to RW, Greenwood to the bench. He could have easily dropped Martial to the bench with Rashford as LW and Greenwood as RW, but he didn't. He still continued to play him. When that's the case, why is it impossible for Ole to rotate him with Cavani when the player Martial is competing with is Old player who works like maniac on the pitch which means he needs recovery time too with hectic schedule.

Yeah keep beating the drum and repeatedly that Martial will be a non entity while Ole rotates and plays him regularly.
Greenwood had 10 leagues starts prior to 20/21 and Martial was coming off his best ever season. Of course Ole gave the nod to Martial.

How does Greenwood with a terrific run last season into a good preseason not downright compete with Martial who had a shit season (which is kinda his average) this time around? He literally scored Martial's season total in 1 month!

Martial will definitely see play before Rashford returns, but if he doesn't get closer to his 19/20 form, he'll just compete with Greenwood for first guy off the bench with Rashford-Cavani-Sancho starting by November.

"it's not his normal season"? I beg to differ. Top table CF, bottom LW. (16 apps & 2 goals RW not included)

SeasonAppsGA
20/2127710
19/20442310
18/191121
17/181043
16/17711
15/162162

SeasonAppsGA
20/21900
19/20201
18/1925102
17/182866
16/173178
15/162498

roonster09

Scout
Greenwood had 10 leagues starts prior to 20/21 and Martial was coming off his best ever season. Of course Ole gave the nod to Martial.

How does Greenwood with a terrific run last season into a good preseason not downright compete with Martial who had a shit season (which is kinda his average) this time around? He literally scored Martial's season total in 1 month!

Martial will definitely see play before Rashford returns, but if he doesn't get closer to his 19/20 form, he'll just compete with Greenwood for first guy off the bench with Rashford-Cavani-Sancho starting by November.

"it's not his normal season"? I beg to differ. Top table CF, bottom LW. (16 apps & 2 goals RW not included)

SeasonAppsGA
20/2127710
19/20442310
18/191121
17/181043
16/17711
15/162162

SeasonAppsGA
20/21900
19/20201
18/1925102
17/182866
16/173178
15/162498
Instead of taking the games, check the mins and then do the math.

Ole played Martial in Jan/Feb when he was having poor season, it has nothing to do with 2019-20 season. Greenwood will compete with Sancho for RW position, Martial will be competing with Cavani for CF position and then as LW when needed.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Instead of taking the games, check the mins and then do the math.
You forgot to title your posts with some variation of "nonsense" this time.
So did Martial score more goals doing it like this, or what exactly were you expecting to find? Enlighten us.

SeasonminGAmin/goalmin/GA
20/21242279*346151
19/2035662312155142
18/192327123193155
17/182337119212166
16/17251788314157
15/164128179242158

*must have included a France assist by accident in previous tables.

roonster09

Scout
You forgot to title your posts with some variation of "nonsense" this time.
So did Martial score more goals doing it like this, or what exactly were you expecting to find? Enlighten us.

SeasonminGAmin/goalmin/GA
20/21242279*346151
19/2035662312155142
18/192327123193155
17/182337119212166
16/17251788314157
15/164128179242158

*must have included a France assist by accident in previous tables.
When you stop the usual "How can you not get it" nonsense, you won't get replies in the same tone.

It's easy why mins tells us more than just going with "appearances". Martial was a sub close to 50% of the time he was at ManUtd. So using games played is not a fair indicator, same for Rashford too.

Your table is wrong btw, at least 2019-20 and 2017-18. He averages 101 and 116 mins per G+A in that season.

So on an average, he gets Goal or assist every 135 mins (His ManUtd average) which is 1.5 games. That's much better than using 'Appearances' stats which skewed stats and made it look much worse. So tell us how a player who gets you a goal or assist every 1.5 game isn't good enough.

It's not like he is stat padding by beating shit out of some small team in cup games, he averages same in PL too.

tomaldinho1

Genuine question. He didn't have a great season but was he even that bad?

PL stats: 1.487 mins (i.e 16.5 full 90min games) played with 10 goal involvements (4G+6A)

If he had those stats from a full season, I'd get the unrest (although still find it weird so many want him sold) but he played way less than I think people realise.

roonster09

Scout
Genuine question. He didn't have a great season but was he even that bad?

PL stats: 1.487 mins (i.e 16.5 full 90min games) played with 10 goal involvements (4G+6A)

If he had those stats from a full season, I'd get the unrest (although still find it weird so many want him sold) but he played way less than I think people realise.
IMO his worst season. After the great season he had, I expected him to be much better.

Also I think there is some mistake in the transfermarkt site, the table says he had 6 assists but their breakdown shows only 3 assists. So that's 7 goal involvements with 4 of them coming in 2 games (vs Leeds and Southampton) or 6 goal involvements in 3 games (Sheffield United). So all season in rest of the games he had only 1 goal involvement.

Anyways it was poor season and it was a blip. I'm confident that he will be a huge player for us this season.

tomaldinho1

IMO his worst season. After the great season he had, I expected him to be much better.

Also I think there is some mistake in the transfermarkt site, the table says he had 6 assists but their breakdown shows only 3 assists. So that's 7 goal involvements with 4 of them coming in 2 games (vs Leeds and Southampton) or 6 goal involvements in 3 games (Sheffield United). So all season in rest of the games he had only 1 goal involvement.

Anyways it was poor season and it was a blip. I'm confident that he will be a huge player for us this season.
FYI I think it credits him for penalties he wins but doesn't take, which is fair for me. Of course no doubt he could/should have done better but just reading how many people want to sell him seems so at odds with actually how he's performed.

He's essentially played 71 games at CF for us over two seasons, scored 30 and assisted 19. It's not top level but he's 25 and they aren't awful numbers, especially when you think we didn't really have any strikers scoring freely last season.

roonster09

Scout
FYI I think it credits him for penalties he wins but doesn't take, which is fair for me. Of course no doubt he could/should have done better but just reading how many people want to sell him seems so at odds with actually how he's performed.

He's essentially played 71 games at CF for us over two seasons, scored 30 and assisted 19. It's not top level but he's 25 and they aren't awful numbers, especially when you think we didn't really have any strikers scoring freely last season.
Yeah no point selling him when we can't get a good replacement.

luke511

If player sales are required to go towards a CDM then it's a no brainer. We know his work ethic and off the ball movement will never be at the required level, he's still a great player but he's lost that lightning fast dribbling spark he used to have, I think the club could comfortably get away with selling him this summer. The only risk is an early injury to Cavani before Rashford's back, even if that were to happen, Greenwood can be trusted as striker. Now the club's philosophy has switched to signing and promoting gifted youth players, they need game time and the trust to fill in as back up.

ST Cavani, Greenwood, Rashford (When fit)
LW Rashford (When fit), Sancho, Elanga, Mejbri, James (I guess)
RW Sancho, Greenwood, Amad

Looks good enough to me.

roonster09

Scout
We have Cavani and Greenwood, so it would be better to spend Martial money on a midfielder.
Greenwood played well as RW, I don't think he will be a CF, at least he won't be this season. He is much more dangerous facing the goal than back to the goal.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Uhh we are not loosing anything..
@Hansi Fick has taken the job to drive him to Italy for the small amount of 5m.
Learning French songs and everything to make him feel good.
I might actually clandestinely make a stop before the Alps and drop him off at Säbener Straße in München, as I think he's a good player and absolutely wouldn't mind having him as a backup attacking option instead of, err, Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting.

Alemar

Looks good enough to me.
You forgot about Pogba. He may be well ahead of Rashford as an LW.

Pudding Of Part

If player sales are required to go towards a CDM then it's a no brainer. We know his work ethic and off the ball movement will never be at the required level, he's still a great player but he's lost that lightning fast dribbling spark he used to have, I think the club could comfortably get away with selling him this summer. The only risk is an early injury to Cavani before Rashford's back, even if that were to happen, Greenwood can be trusted as striker. Now the club's philosophy has switched to signing and promoting gifted youth players, they need game time and the trust to fill in as back up.

Looks good enough to me.
I think it's the striker position where we might be light. Rashford definitely struggles there against teams that sit deep. Hopefully Greenwood will develop into that role quickly but we could struggle if Cavani is out and we have no Martial.

UncleBob

Looks good enough to me.
Jesus.

Cavani is fast approaching 35, he hasn't even returned for training from Uruguay and at best he'll be ready for participating against Wolves on the 29th.

Rashford is likely to miss the first two months of the season, might not even play until mid october.

Greenwood has never consistently played up front for us, and apart from at the end of last season he was poor, yet we can trust him as a striker from the start of the season. There's absolutely nothing that suggests it's a good idea.

There's nothing, whatsoever, that suggests Mejbri, Elanga and Amad are ready for this level. Hopefully they'll get plenty of chances in the league cup / early fa cup and we build from that.

Redcy

Where I will agree is that I don't think Greenwood is a CF, and he hasn't looked like he can play there yet at any stage, and maybe never will from what we have seen.

Facts are that Martial is now staying it seems, and we will take the chance on him coming good. Noone out there could likely afford him anyway, or certainly his wages, if last year turns out to be the standard and he shows a lack of motivation we will keep him until 2024 because no-one will want to pay his wages. If he comes even a little bit good we might at least be able to shift him for 25-30m if we think we can get Haaland or another striker.

Alemar

There's nothing, whatsoever, that suggests Mejbri, Elanga and Amad are ready for this level.
Amad is ready - he plays for his national team and he already showed glimpses of his talent for Man Utd.

roonster09

Scout
Can't believe people still mention Rashford as a striker option.
Yeah, He did poorly as CF, he can't play in that position but somehow few think he is better CF than Martial.

UncleBob

Amad is ready - he plays for his national team and he already showed glimpses of his talent for Man Utd.
How on earth is Amad ready to consistently play in the Premier League? He didn't even stand out in the Olympics

Alemar

How on earth is Amad ready to consistently play in the Premier League? He didn't even stand out in the Olympics
He perhaps is not ready to get into our best starting XI, but at the very least he is ready to get all the minutes that James was receiving earlier - it will help him further develop.