Martial agent looking for a new club for him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm starting to question Ole here that he still can't see Pogba's best role is on the left is the reason why he is still insisted to keep Martial the 250k p.w player.

We need Murtough and Fletcher to step in and tell Ole that 250k p/w for bench player is too much. We have Rashford on the left, Pogba is best on the left, Sancho can play on the left, Lingard can also cover the left area and he is only on 75k p.w, and we have Diallo. Let him go to PSG and buy a midfielder so we can push Pogba on his best role where he will produce lot of assists.

Infra-red

If I remember correctly, Spurs did make an approach for Martial while Pochettino was at the club, so there could be some truth in PSG's interest. It looks like Mbappe is staying until next summer, but I expect we'll be looking to offload Martial by then and would probably welcome a bid from a club that's financially backed by a nation state!

Foxbatt

His lack of effort bemuses me. Berbatov wasnt fast and was classed as a lazy player , but that was how he played and he done a pretty good job of it. Martial has pace to burn but always looks like hes only hurrying for the bus.

I think he will go next year along with Mata/Lingard and that will free up massive wages to throw at Haaland.
Berba was a word class player. He does his pressing too and if you pass the ball to him most of the time he would keep it and make a good pass. I don't think he is lazy either. I would say his judgement in not running after lost causes is fantastic. He was the PL joint top scorer despite Fergie not giving him the chance to be by not playing him in many games.
Martial looks like he doesn't want to be here anymore. He is still a very talented player and would come good in a different club.

justsomebloke

I don't get the club's insistence on Martial. He has been a nothing player ever since we brought him, except a small number of purple patches he's had over the years. Mourinho was absolutely right and we should have sold him a long time ago.
I could see the case for not giving up on him as main striker quite yet, given his strong 19-20 campaign (although I wouldn't agree with it, I think. And if that spot was open, which it clearly no longer is). But what I struggle with is why we should keep him if he's our 3rd or 4th choice as striker, and need to be slotted in as second choice at left wing, despite the fact that we have lots of other options there (at least two of whom are better than him). I just can't make that make sense.

hobbers

Probably better if he gets a decent amount of game time, given that last year's tally was a bit of an anomaly for him in terms of goals scored.
Anyway, I just realised I was chatting shit anyway, Kean scored 17 goals last season for PSG, so maybe he is better at this point in time :lol: My mistake.
To be fair I think they'll both go on to have equally disappointing careers relative to their potential.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
My biggest issue with him is the complete lack of fight in him. Any time everything isnt just right, either at the club or at home he becomes a passenger.

Mercurial

Ole won't let anyone go, he is a hoarder. Even if they never play they are in his plans.

KennyBurner

I'm starting to question Ole here that he still can't see Pogba's best role is on the left is the reason why he is still insisted to keep Martial the 250k p.w player.

We need Murtough and Fletcher to step in and tell Ole that 250k p/w for bench player is too much. We have Rashford on the left, Pogba is best on the left, Sancho can play on the left, Lingard can also cover the left area and he is only on 75k p.w, and we have Diallo. Let him go to PSG and buy a midfielder so we can push Pogba on his best role where he will produce lot of assists.
Thank God you aren't manager because any knowledgeable person will know we are severely lacking with direct attackers. Rashford is currently injured and we are about to sell James. Pogba also hasnt signed a new contract which means there is the possibility of losing him on a free. Martial is getting back to fitness and will feature a lot this season when he is ready. Both Martial and Rashford are the only remaining blistering attackers available and you are willing to let one go so late in the window???

Just because you read all the shite the cafe says about Martial doesn't mean Manchester united officials think the same.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If there is interest now, sell him now. We are well covered at CF.
The money can go into a pot for the next window even if we don’t sign a midfielder this summer

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thank God you aren't manager because any knowledgeable person will know we are severely lacking with direct attackers. Rashford is currently injured and we are about to sell James. Pogba also hasnt signed a new contract which means there is the possibility of losing him on a free. Martial is getting back to fitness and will feature a lot this season when he is ready. Both Martial and Rashford are the only remaining blistering attackers available and you are willing to let one go so late in the window???

Just because you read all the shite the cafe says about Martial doesn't mean Manchester united officials think the same.
Lacking? Take a look at these:

Ronaldo
Pogba Bruno Greenwood

Cavani
Rashford Lingard Sancho

Diallo is waiting for his chance too. There are literary enough attackers there. 250k p/w wages is a lot for player who is not 1st choice or even 2nd choice. that 250k p/w could be used to offer Pogba a new contract to prevent him leaving for free.

seegoblu

There is literary no space for Martial. 250k p/w wages is a lot for player who can be 3rd choice and that could be used to offer Pogba a new contract to prevent him leaving for free.
While I agree that having a 250k/week player planted on the bench is good management, I don't believe there is an issue with the club being unable to afford new wages for Pogba, I think it's a matter of in the even that Pogba decides to stay, do we want to pay him what he will demand given the impact his wages will have on other players' wage demands? While I know that CR7 has taken a Sanchez-sized sledge hammer to our wage structure, CR7 is an exception that others at the club simply cannot not reference when making their own wage demands. Paying Pogba 400-500k/week would have significant inflationary impact on Bruno, Rashford and (hopefully) Haaland.

hobbers

He's 4th choice as a number 9 (behind Ronaldo, Cavani and Greenwood)
And 3rd choice as a left winger (behind Rashford and Pogba).

And we pay him 250k a week for the privilege.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
While I agree that having a 250k/week player planted on the bench is good management, I don't believe there is an issue with the club being unable to afford new wages for Pogba, I think it's a matter of in the even that Pogba decides to stay, do we want to pay him what he will demand given the impact his wages will have on other players' wage demands? While I know that CR7 has taken a Sanchez-sized sledge hammer to our wage structure, CR7 is an exception that others at the club simply cannot not reference when making their own wage demands. Paying Pogba 400-500k/week would have significant inflationary impact on Bruno, Rashford and (hopefully) Haaland.
Even if you want to exclude the logic of using that 250k p/w to help us to give Pogba new contract. There is still another logic you can have a look at, for instance, we have better chance for Pogba to signs a new contract if we sell Martial as it allows us to buy CM/DM to improve XI which improve us as a team and push Pogba to play on the left producing so many assists for Ronaldo which all of these increase our chances to win major trophy and lead to Pogba's decision to stay.

bosskeano

i'm just baffled how Martial and Jesse made it thru this window without being sold or at least sent out on loan. I'd rather give the young players the opportunity to train and play wiht the first team instead of those two houseplants

Flytan

i'm just baffled how Martial and Jesse made it thru this window without being sold or at least sent out on loan. I'd rather give the young players the opportunity to train and play wiht the first team instead of those two houseplants
Down to the manager. Anyone with a vision would have sold at least one of them. Both may be overkill but there's simply too many players in attack right now and they won't get gametime (without even factoring in youth products who should see cup games).

Member 101269

Down to the manager. Anyone with a vision would have sold at least one of them. Both may be overkill but there's simply too many players in attack right now and they won't get gametime (without even factoring in youth products who should see cup games).
Would have? Ole sidelines them, for the most part, and sales/ loans aren’t his responsibility.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
My biggest issue with him is the complete lack of fight in him. Any time everything isnt just right, either at the club or at home he becomes a passenger.
That’s just not true. You just need to see the Mourinho era to find out why it’s not true. Is he lazy? Is he not always putting the best effort? Absolutely. But does he have no fight in him? You don’t come at 19 years old being ridiculed as a waste of money before your very first game at one of the biggest clubs in the world and have a season like he did or his comeback from Mou’s management.
There’s plenty of criticisms that can be leveled at Martial, but when I read he has no fight/heart, I think he’s definitely proven that’s not true. He has it in him, now will he show it? That’s another story unfortunately at this point.

Esquire

I could see the case for not giving up on him as main striker quite yet, given his strong 19-20 campaign (although I wouldn't agree with it, I think. And if that spot was open, which it clearly no longer is). But what I struggle with is why we should keep him if he's our 3rd or 4th choice as striker, and need to be slotted in as second choice at left wing, despite the fact that we have lots of other options there (at least two of whom are better than him). I just can't make that make sense.
I don’t know if this is Ole’s sole call but I agree with the implication of your statement - that Ole is kind of insecure that way - likes to hoard players I guess for that “rainy day”. With James gone I guess there’s a case for Martial staying but his value is sinking especially in this state where clubs just can’t pay the transfer fees and wages of someone like Martial. We are probably stuck with him for this year. It certainly doesn’t look like Jadon coming in and Rashford being hurt is driving him to make a claim for a starting spot.

justsomebloke

I don’t know if this is Ole’s sole call but I agree with the implication of your statement - that Ole is kind of insecure that way - likes to hoard players I guess for that “rainy day”. With James gone I guess there’s a case for Martial staying but his value is sinking especially in this state where clubs just can’t pay the transfer fees and wages of someone like Martial. We are probably stuck with him for this year. It certainly doesn’t look like Jadon coming in and Rashford being hurt is driving him to make a claim for a starting spot.
I'm not implying that, or anything else for that matter. I just can't make sense of it.

Bestofthebest

Hope his agent is putting in a bit more effort than Martial does on the pitch or he will still be at OT when his pension is due.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@Esquire @justsomebloke we've been hoarding players for long before Ole got here and we'll be doing it long into the future. We've basically ended up giving away Andreas, we ended up giving away Marcos Rojo, Alexis, we'll end up giving away others. We renew contracts of broken down players 'to protect value.' Its the club's policy to hold onto players in the hope of some fantasy fee payer appearing. Look what we did with Darmian. Years after publicly expressing we would let him go we were still holding on hoping someone would come in and pay us big bucks.

The people who run this club will hold on to Martial into the final year of his deal, then renew it like they did with Bailly, hoping for a sale fee. Just look at Lingard. One year left on his deal. He'll get a new one, just like Matic, just like Mata. Because the guys who run United always think some sap will come in and meet their valuation. They're happy to just clog up the wage bill with people who virtually never play, just in the hope of a transfer fee. Phil Jones, who is almost always injured, got a new four year deal out of our senior management.

Martial will be here for years to come unless he decides to push for the exit.

justsomebloke

Why are people thinking it's Ole fault Martial and Lingard still here? If no one comes in with an offer then they can't fecking leave :lol:
There are reports today that he doesn't want to sell Martial, and prefers to keep Lingard. The latter reported earlier as well. Might be false, of course.

Tallis

Selling this guy has to be a priority now. His wages are substantial and moving him on does actually move the needle a little in terms of lower our wage bill. In a strange way, if he does well and recover some of his goal scoring form, that may make it easier to move him on.

I think he could do well in a different team where the presume may be lower.

Mercurial

Some sound like they'd be happy with a squad of 20 :lol:
A club the size of United has to hedge some players in case this & that, fully understandable. But then they also say we will buy only of we sell. Most would agree if that's the case, we desperately need a DM. No real point having players rot on a bench if we can swap for a useful one, per above.

Selling this guy has to be a priority now. His wages are substantial and moving him on does actually move the needle a little in terms of lower our wage bill. In a strange way, if he does well and recover some of his goal scoring form, that may make it easier to move him on.

I think he could do well in a different team where the presume may be lower.
His wages are partly why he won't go anywhere.

Think of the clubs that, in recent past, have been linked with Martial. How many of them can afford upwards of £200k a week.

Even if he does recover his goalscoring form very few clubs are going to meet his wage demands and also pay Man Utd a very big transfer fee. We will either have to compromise on the fee or he will sit at Old Trafford collecting cheques until he's arsed enough to leave.

Esquire

@Esquire @justsomebloke we've been hoarding players for long before Ole got here and we'll be doing it long into the future. We've basically ended up giving away Andreas, we ended up giving away Marcos Rojo, Alexis, we'll end up giving away others. We renew contracts of broken down players 'to protect value.' Its the club's policy to hold onto players in the hope of some fantasy fee payer appearing. Look what we did with Darmian. Years after publicly expressing we would let him go we were still holding on hoping someone would come in and pay us big bucks.

The people who run this club will hold on to Martial into the final year of his deal, then renew it like they did with Bailly, hoping for a sale fee. Just look at Lingard. One year left on his deal. He'll get a new one, just like Matic, just like Mata. Because the guys who run United always think some sap will come in and meet their valuation. They're happy to just clog up the wage bill with people who virtually never play, just in the hope of a transfer fee. Phil Jones, who is almost always injured, got a new four year deal out of our senior management.

Martial will be here for years to come unless he decides to push for the exit.
Good post and agreed. Just hope Murtaugh (sp?) and Fletcher will act as brakes to this insane “value protection” strategy. But even if you say this has gone on before OGS, I still say Ole has not been brave enough in this regard. Lingard definitely needs to go on loan or be sold. Why on earth Mata is still in the squad is beyond me.

lsd

The Oracle
Going to be a disappointing window now Martial is staying. Still hopefully we wont see him on the field and can get rid in January

Good post and agreed. Just hope Murtaugh (sp?) and Fletcher will act as brakes to this insane “value protection” strategy. But even if you say this has gone on before OGS, I still say Ole has not been brave enough in this regard. Lingard definitely needs to go on loan or be sold. Why on earth Mata is still in the squad is beyond me.
Trust me mate, Murtough and Fletcher are powerless. Their job is to sell the 'vision' to prospective signings and deal with the stuff the suits don't want to e.g., recruit for the women's team and the youth set up.

Woodward and Judge still do the bulk of actual negotiating with senior players. The Murtough thing is just PR.

The 'value protection' strategy will not change because Woodward is going to be replaced as CEO by Richard Arnold and he'll continue where Woodward left off.

Could Ole be stronger? Possibly. But we'll never know what constraints he's working under because Ole will never air the clubs dirty laundry in public.

Its bizarre how United operates. The people at the top are so tight about tiny things like investing in Carrington. However, they will happily waste millions of pounds every month on goalkeepers who not only never play but never have a chance of playing!

The media is constantly briefed that there's no space on the wage bill for a new midfielder, as if the club was forced to renew Bailly, Mata and Lee Grant this summer. Take their wages, combine it and low and behold you can afford a new midfielder. Its crazy how this club operates. Honest to God, between those three players do we even think they'll get two dozen appearances in all competitions this season? What a massive waste of new contracts.

You think of United in the past. Do you remember Bryan Robson getting a nice goodbye or Steve Bruce? Once you're time was up it was up. No matter how legendary you had been. Now we're holding on for dear life to players because 'value.' The people running the club just don't know how to judge the value of footballers. That's how you end up with Bruno Fernandes on about the same wage as Phil Jones.

Foxbatt

James has gone. Rashford is injured and had surgery. Amad is injured. We only have Sancho and Greenwood and Mason is not very good on the left. Ronnie is not going to play on the left because now he is not going to track back. It's prudent of Ole to keep him for now.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Absolutely ridiculous he’s still here. Picking up a huge wage to be 4th choice winger and 4th choice striker.