Martial agent looking for a new club for him

LonelyFire

He’s not good enough and he never will be. There’s good ability there but lacks the mental strength to be a top striker. He isn’t obsessed with scoring goals. You can see it in his movement - perennially in the wrong positions.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Six seasons at the club, two have been good. That’s no sort of return. Im in no rush to sell - let’s upgrade him first then sell him when they’ve settled - but if he stood in the way of other transfers then he can have no complaints if we move him on.
This is a reasonable position. The thing is, on form, he is capable of displacing any of the current starters. That keeps the current starters on their toes. That in itself has value. Not just being able to bring him on in games. Dan James and co have no chance of displacing Rashford.
Talk of loaning him out or selling him is frankly stupid if you're not bringing a player of equal or better standing.
Bringing in Sancho and getting rid of Martial is a sideways move squad wise.
Cavani, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, Rashford are all top players on their day and should be competing to start. That's what top clubs do.

Bertie 2 Hats

At the start of last season i was expecting he'd continue his fine goal scoring form in the league (17 in 32 games) from the 2019/20 season.. However he produced his worse form since signing for the club.. He just doesn't seem to have the passion or drive to endear himself to the majority of United supporters even though on his day he's a world beater.. I think it's going to be make or break time for him this season.

Drz

This is a reasonable position. The thing is, on form, he is capable of displacing any of the current starters. That keeps the current starters on their toes. That in itself has value. Not just being able to bring him on in games. Dan James and co have no chance of displacing Rashford.
Talk of loaning him out or selling him is frankly stupid if you're not bringing a player of equal or better standing.
Bringing in Sancho and getting rid of Martial is a sideways move squad wise.
Cavani, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, Rashford are all top players on their day and should be competing to start. That's what top clubs do.
I don't disagree with your assessment, but it could also be that with Sancho coming in and Cavani staying, Martial or his camp may feel that he is going from a staters position to fighting for a starters position, if it is an ego thing maybe the desire to part ways came from his side following discussions with the club, in which case it is best to part ways amicably.

eire-red

He could definitely have a very good career at PSG and would be a massive upgrade on Icardi for them. Hard to see where he'll end up though.

If he does go, it's such a shame. He had so much potential, looking back on some of his highlights from his first season and he looked like he was going right to the top.

I think Mourinho killed him a little inside.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think the question is simply: is Greenwood already as effective as a 9?

I don't know the answer, yet, so I'd be very tempted to keep Martial because without him we literally only have a 34-year old who can't play twice a week to play centre forward.

Maybe Greenwood continues to evolve and can add the aspects of is game that a 9 requires. That's what we'd all want. But I'm not sold that in the first match of the season, Martial isn't a better choice to lead the line.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I can understand Martial himself wanting to leave but would be stupid of us to want to sell him and I'm sure that's not the case.

Jaxa

Seriously, no one is going to pay anywhere near £40 million for Martial in a covid-affected financial climate.
Why is it the football world and clearly some United fans think we should just sell our best assets for peanuts ?

So if not 40m how much then mate ? 20m ? In a world where Beundia just went for 35-40m to Aston Villa ! Jota cost liverpool 40m last season, 40m for a 25 year old Martial is not outrageous,

Give me a break.

Adisa

I don't disagree with your assessment, but it could also be that with Sancho coming in and Cavani staying, Martial or his camp may feel that he is going from a staters position to fighting for a starters position, if it is an ego thing maybe the desire to part ways came from his side following discussions with the club, in which case it is best to part ways amicably.
If Martial wants to leave, my entire argument is pointless. Then we need to get rid and replace him adequately. I would also be very disappointed if he doesn't back himself. On form, Martial starts for me, no question, I don't care who is left out.
However I am arguing with those who are directly advocating for his sale.

Adisa

I can understand Martial himself wanting to leave but would be stupid of us to want to sell him and I'm sure that's not the case.
I also doubt Ole wants rid. I would be very very disappointed if Martial wants leave. That's poor mentality.

lenny_1248

If you believe to Duncan Castles in 2021, then you need to slap yourself. He says that "Martial is leaving" literally every window.
Martial is going nowhere. And if there will be some rumours, surely Bouhafsi is the one to listen to.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm indifferent towards Martial though I'm fairly confident he's going to be staying here atleast until next year.

He still has alot to offer but competition is much needed and he needs to accept that, which I think he does.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I also doubt Ole wants rid. I would be very very disappointed if Martial wants leave. That's poor mentality.
Why would that be poor mentality? He has been at United for 6 years, players often want and need a change. The same is true for clubs, I think it was SAF who said that it was needed for a team to change things on a regular basis.

hobbers

Good luck when we've literally been paying him paid five times his worth.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Why is it the football world and clearly some United fans think we should just sell our best assets for peanuts ?

So if not 40m how much then mate ? 20m ? In a world where Beundia just went for 35-40m to Aston Villa ! Jota cost liverpool 40m last season, 40m for a 25 year old Martial is not outrageous,

Give me a break.
Before we go any further, explain what Martial has achieved at United to warrant a £40 million transfer fee?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tell you what, we'll take him and his contract for 1 year if you take hazard's remaining contract

Matthew84!

I have that feeling that its if we can get Martial out on loan Ole will get Ronaldo back for a season,
Everything just seems in place this time around, would he be better than Martial yes, would I spend money no,
Perhaps a straight swap with him.

crossy1686

career ending
Said this in the martial performance thread last night.

Give him one more year. He was playing promisingly before he got injured again. He’ll be like a new signing and all that jazz. He seriously needs to sort out his movement and work rate and I’d say next season is probably his last chance with ole.

The thing is he has 4 goals and 6 assists in the league and was injured twice and suspended. 1500 mins. If he managed to stay fit despite some of his worst form here he’d have most likely gotten in around the same ballpark as Rashfords numbers (11 goals and 11 assists in double the minutes) I personally feel like there currently isn’t as much between the two players as some people think apart from public perception and being likeable. The truth is neither is in great form or working hard enough off the ball and Cavani ended up showing them both up for work rate and desire last season.

Maybe patience really has run out at the club and certain fans are right about his attitude. On the other hand his output just seems par for the course around here these days.
If we do give him one more year, and he puts in a similar season to this season we will never move him on. He's on £250k a week and doesn't deserve it, no other team will take that gamble.

At least Anelka would score on a regular basis. People are willing to overlook any potential attitude problem if you keep finding the back of the net

crossy1686

career ending
I think the question is simply: is Greenwood already as effective as a 9?

I don't know the answer, yet, so I'd be very tempted to keep Martial because without him we literally only have a 34-year old who can't play twice a week to play centre forward.

Maybe Greenwood continues to evolve and can add the aspects of is game that a 9 requires. That's what we'd all want. But I'm not sold that in the first match of the season, Martial isn't a better choice to lead the line.
I'd be tempted to play Greenwood or Rashford as CF when Cavani's out. Sancho on one of the wings and James, Lingard or a youth player on the other wing. As long as we sign Sancho we've got cover for him leaving.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Depends on where he goes, he may thrive if he goes to the right club but should he go to someone like Arsenal or Spurs for example I can see just more of the same

I'm not sure where who I'd say would be a good club for him tbh, Dortmund maybe?
Dortmund would be great, especially if a part-ex deal could be arranged for Sancho.

Plus I'd hate to see him realize his potential at another English club.

Drz

If Martial wants to leave, my entire argument is pointless. Then we need to get rid and replace him adequately. I would also be very disappointed if he doesn't back himself. On form, Martial starts for me, no question, I don't care who is left out.
However I am arguing with those who are directly advocating for his sale.
I'd also like him to stay and fight for his place, as you say on form he is such a threat to the opposition defense.
I am however disappointed that he didn't kick-on this season, I hope there aren't off-field issues hampering his footballing career either.
Let's see what transpires, like you I don't see the club actually pushing to sell him unless they have a specific target in mind (exc. Sancho), or it coming from an expressed dissatisfaction from Martial's camp.

redshaw

Think he'd do well elsewhere if relied upon and entrusted as the main man like we did with him last season or even a main role from the left. He doesn't seem to like competition and a club like United will always be looking at more support. For his own sake I think it would be best to play at another club as on the left it will be Rashford Sancho at times in the pecking order.

Overall Martial has made a good contribution, one of the better attackers over the years so I can see us missing him when we have a couple of injuries but for his own career I think he needs a fully committed role somewhere.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We need squad options. Team's need players like James to step in when needed. He know's he's not good enough to start for United every week, everyone's on the same page.
We need squad options and James is one but if James wants to have more game time then he's not doing himself any favour if he thinks he can fight for a first team spot here. If he's happy with not playing much then good for everyone

crossy1686

career ending
Think he'd do well elsewhere if relied upon and entrusted as the main man like we did with him last season or even a main role from the left. He doesn't seem to like competition and a club like United will always be looking at more support. For his own sake I think it would be best to play at another club as on the left it will be Rashford Sancho at times in the pecking order.

Overall Martial has made a good contribution, one of the better attackers over the years so I can see us missing him when we have a couple of injuries but for his own career I think he needs a fully committed role somewhere.
He seems to fancy himself enough to play for Madrid. Originally when Pogba said he was off a few seasons ago, there was a leak that said Martial was telling Pogba not to forget him when he gets to Madrid and to keep in touch so he can join him in a couple of seasons (or words to that effect).

If he thinks he can get away with his current levels of performance at Madrid, then he's in for a serious wake up call.

He'll be playing for Monaco again within 2 seasons.

Tarrou

For his own sake he should ask to leave. Unless he's happy with being the 3rd/4th choice (if Sancho comes)
I think he is happy to be a squad player and Ole is happy with him

I’m really not seeing any reason for him to leave this summer, and I can’t imagine clubs will be queuing up with offers

siw2007

I think Martial will be at United next season, though I’m not sure he will have a particularly long stay at the club going forwards. I don’t think the club will be in the market for a centre forward this summer as it will cost the club too much especially with the attempt to sign Sancho (which is hopefully imminent), and it would leave us short in experienced options up front.

I imagine that Martial will play a part for the team next year and if he plays well, which I am sure he can do, then we might look at whether there is value in cashing him in.

Idxomer

He scored more league goals (not counting penalties) in 2019/2020 than anyone we've had post-Fergie. See what the likes of Watkins and DLC would cost or someone like Buendia, players who never showed anything close to what we've seen from Martial.

I bet a lot of people here wouldn't have minded getting 40m or less for Lukaku after his 2nd season with United.

BFernandes

He won't be missed.

I have a real problem with players who wrestle with the idea of what their best position actually is. Even more so when a player is soon to be 26, in their "prime" and still doesn't know. Exceptional players can get away with it. He most certainly cannot. He's more of a hinderance than a benefit.

His first season was very promising, but since then? He's had one season where he looked like he could deliver more consistently, but let's not kid ourselves, even in his best ever season for us, he scored 23 goals in 48 games. 17 of those in the league. It shouldn't play a role in his club career, but 1 goal in 25 caps for France is a damning indictment of what the current French set up think of him. Have our standards dropped to such an extent post Fergie that Martial is our best bet up top, long term?

He had all the promise and potential in the world. Brian McClair remarked that it looks like he just doesn't like playing football, and it's hard to argue with that assessment.