Martial agent looking for a new club for him

Robertd0803

Imagine current Hazard and current Martial in the same side. You’d need four defensive midfielders
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Castles or not, how many of us would weep bitterly if he was sold this summer?

He's pretty much expendable, no? Not least if we could actually get someone to pony up a half decent transfer fee.
I wouldnt anyway.

Of course people still complain about Lukaku/Memphis/Welbeck etc. so if Martial did move Id expect the usual nonsense every time he scores a goal for somewhere else.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Being a squad player is always a balance of how good a player are they, how good they are with limited game time and if they can be an impact sub, if they can stay fit to actually be useful as a squad player, and then finally if they're happy in that role.

James ticks those boxes far more than Martial IMO. Martial hasn't really be an impact sub type at United (early days sure, but not after that first bit), has had his injury troubles, but more importantly, there is no chance he wants to be 5th on our list of front 3 attackers behind Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Cavani. So there's no long term future for him here.

Mata I don't get why he's still here. Paying 100k a week for a cheerleader. James has his uses with his pace and workrate and is an actual winger unlike the rest being inside forwards basically (Sancho being a wife playmaker).
Interesting. In terms of reaching pure impact I would definitely sell Martial, James and Mata and get Grealish. Impact guaranteed. Martial in form is a joy to watch, but when that form will return permanently, think the Russian roulette is safer bet, right now. Perhaps different league ?

If club decided to pursue Kane eventually in next window when Cavani says goodbye, then Martial could be a goner. If Ole keeps him, I think we should all demand some intense season from him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah, there's that - of course.

Again.

He's on big money and his reputation is at an all-time low. How to bake a decent cake with those ingredients?

Anyway - if he stays he should be behind both Cavani and Mason in the pecking order (and behind both Pogba and Rashford on the left - in an Ole style 4-2-3-1). And then - hopefully - work his arse off to prove a whole lot of people wrong *.

The way things stand, I think most United fans wouldn't give a shit if he left. Which is a damn shame, I might add. He was brought in as a super talent for a lot of money - and he actually delivered on that, to begin with. He's clearly a very talented footballer - in many ways.

* Including myself - and I would absolutely love to eat that slice of humble pie. When he first arrived, I was buzzing - he was a light in the darkness (to exaggerate a bit - but still, he looked like the business considering his age, and United in general were sliding...and sliding). So, I definitely don't have it in for Martial as such - far from it: I'm pretty sure I hailed him as precisely the sort of player we should splash the cash on back then. And - again - he seemed to prove to me right...for a while.
Why is he behind Greenwood in no.9 role though? Mason only score 2 goals in 11 games this season as no.9, most of his goals are scored from the RWF position, he is no better than Martial there yet, who has 4 goals 6 assists in 21 games in same role. Even though Martial isn't making the forward runs, he still fit the holding up role and better at bringing our other forwards into play. Greenwood is still rather green on that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unless we’re bringing in a top striker then he shouldn’t be sold. He’s 25 and was our player of the season a year ago after scoring 25 goals.
This should be remembered, as a lot of fans are exceptionally focused on the most recent.

Having said that, he's got it all to do to get back to last season's form, and he is an awkward hybrid that is neither a winger or a striker.
Cavani has shown us what a "proper" striker is like and Martial doesn't quite convince enough out wide.

We'd need about 50m and someone would have to pony up 200-250k a week which is a stretch to see.

tjb

So sell Martial, but keep Mata & James ? I understand Diallo or Pellistri could have more minutes, but is Martial really that of a weakling in our somewhat still unbalanced side ?

If there's something our officials not saying to us and we're about to find out, perhaps even bigger rebuild than we thought, then shit's getting really interesting.

Are we getting rid of Ole, too ? :lol:
Wages...we could spend the 250k a week somewhere else.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Interesting. In terms of reaching pure impact I would definitely sell Martial, James and Mata and get Grealish. Impact guaranteed. Martial in form is a joy to watch, but when that form will return permanently, think the Russian roulette is safer bet, right now. Perhaps different league ?

If club decided to pursue Kane eventually in next window when Cavani says goodbye, then Martial could be a goner. If Ole keeps him, I think we should all demand some intense season from him.
The reason I just disagree with getting Grealish is squad placement though. Bruno plays probably 85% of available minutes as our #10 over a season. Buying him for the left means we are spending 100m+ on a plan to bench rashford and ignore the rest of our problem positions... why? And it's not a guarantee that it improves us. Grealish is a terrific player but completely different in style to Rashford. And Rashford is a United kid (ignoring that there is 0 chance of it happening and no logical reason for it to happen so will never happen). So we're buying the playmaker to play on the right in Sancho. You want an inside forward opposite to him. Sancho can play either side and have Rashford or Greenwood opposite. What's the point in Grealish there? It's a waste of breath talking about Grealish unless it's instead of Sancho (which I still disagree with as Sancho has shown to be quality on the right as well, and is 5 years younger, and more proven generally with his 3 seasons at Dortmund compared to 1.5 impressive seasons for Grealish at Villa).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wages...we could spend the 250k a week somewhere else.
Somewhat reasonable during pandemic crisis. We'll have to invest in the stadium and also upgrade training facilities.

If we'll manage to get on top of everyone and everything a very decent midfielder, then this window could be borderline best window in years... not too mention lucky as F.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The reason I just disagree with getting Grealish is squad placement though. Bruno plays probably 85% of available minutes as our #10 over a season. Buying him for the left means we are spending 100m+ on a plan to bench rashford and ignore the rest of our problem positions... why? And it's not a guarantee that it improves us. Grealish is a terrific player but completely different in style to Rashford. And Rashford is a United kid (ignoring that there is 0 chance of it happening and no logical reason for it to happen so will never happen). So we're buying the playmaker to play on the right in Sancho. You want an inside forward opposite to him. Sancho can play either side and have Rashford or Greenwood opposite. What's the point in Grealish there? It's a waste of breath talking about Grealish unless it's instead of Sancho (which I still disagree with as Sancho has shown to be quality on the right as well, and is 5 years younger, and more proven generally with his 3 seasons at Dortmund compared to 1.5 impressive seasons for Grealish at Villa).
I really hope we won't need Grealish with his guaranteed brilliance and all first teamers will have a better season. If Sancho is really about 90% done deal, I think I would still want Grealish to set standards & depth even higher than City, Chelsea or Liverpool for that matter.

I get your point though, priority is Sancho and should stay that way till we actually sign him, from then club can plan further, probably with defender and maybe midfielder.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Why is he behind Greenwood in no.9 role though? Mason only score 2 goals in 11 games this season as no.9, most of his goals are scored from the RWF position, he is no better than Martial there yet, who has 4 goals 6 assists in 21 games in same role. Even though Martial isn't making the forward runs, he still fit the holding up role and better at bringing our other forwards into play. Greenwood is still rather green on that.
Yeah, but Mason just seems like a better fit all things said and done.

Cavani is the obvious first choice - but he sadly ain't 25.

Martial has never looked like a natural No9. He's more of a hybrid. Mason may belong in that category too - sure. But he looks like a natural finisher, for one thing. And - for me, at least - his bottom level is clearly higher than Martial's.

Regardless, we're talking about a player (Martial) who obviously is not a better alternative up front than a player who happens to be a decade older than him.

We're talking about a player who should be ready to step up and make this discussion irrelevant.

Cavani should be a brilliant option off the bench - and an experienced squad player adding to the...squad in various ways.

Mason should be a super talented attacker who, for now, can fill in here and there, whether it be centrally or wide.

Martial should be...the obvious first choice up front if that's his position (but is it?). Or the obvious choice on the left, if that's his position (but is he a better option than Rashford? Or Pogba?).

He's six years older than Mason. But he doesn't really look it on a regular basis.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah, but Mason just seems like a better fit all things said and done.

Cavani is the obvious first choice - but he sadly ain't 25.

Martial has never looked like a natural No9. He's more of a hybrid. Mason may belong in that category too - sure. But he looks like a natural finisher, for one thing. And - for me, at least - his bottom level is clearly higher than Martial's.

Regardless, we're talking about a player (Martial) who obviously is not a better alternative up front than a player who happens to be a decade older than him.

We're talking about a player who should be ready to step up and make this discussion irrelevant.

Cavani should be a brilliant option off the bench - and an experienced squad player adding to the...squad in various ways.

Mason should be a super talented attacker who, for now, can fill in here and there, whether it be centrally or wide.

Martial should be...the obvious first choice up front if that's his position (but is it?). Or the obvious choice on the left, if that's his position (but is he a better option than Rashford? Or Pogba?).

He's six years older than Mason. But he doesn't really look it on a regular basis.
Point being, Mason hasn't shown he is ready for that role yet, even though he has high potential, doesn't mean he will automatically be a better no.9 than Martial. I am not saying we should start with Martial as no.9 either, apparently he just has had a poor season. But he is definitely better option than Greenwood as no.9, from what they have shown so far.

Flying high

I really don't want Martial to go.

But if it means Kane or the Norwegian fella then I could live with it.

Interval

Level
Sell while we can get 40mill. He's going nowhere here and he himself needs a change.

That money can we used to buy a proper DM and CB. We are okay on the striker front for a season or so.

ColvaleGoa

I Don't believe this. Rashford will be having his Op after euros. He will be out for couple of months. Martial will play on the left with James, If Pogba leaves .

We will be incredibly silly to go into next season without much cover on the left side. Cavani , Martial and Greenwood will be a good strike force to have to supplement Sancho/Rashford and Bruno.
Last season was definitely a one off.I think he will come good next season. Also seen a post of him distributing United Jersey s to some friends/football team...If relations are so broken ,surely he won't be giving out United Jersey's...or am I trying too hard..

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If he played for another side there would be a thread on here with many of those saying get rid saying we should sign him.

RedDevilzFox

The hell of it is, he will probably end up at Bayern or another side like this and find his form for good.

Member 101269

So sell Martial, but keep Mata & James ? I understand Diallo or Pellistri could have more minutes, but is Martial really that of a weakling in our somewhat still unbalanced side ?

If there's something our officials not saying to us and we're about to find out, perhaps even bigger rebuild than we thought, then shit's getting really interesting.

Are we getting rid of Ole, too ? :lol:
Question: are you expecting the same level of outcome with Mara and James as you do with martial? Martial is on top money, when, when has he consistently performed, as would be expected for a higher paid player who would expect to be played week in week out.

He’s not a top player, he’s too inconsistent,

Threesus

If he played for another side there would be a thread on here with many of those saying get rid saying we should sign him.
I am sure that a guy who is tied with Mct for goals scored will have loads here clamoring for him to be signed.
If you are basically taking a year off in what is supposed to be your prime years, what does that say about you?
I will say give him one more year, and if he is same next season, move him on. But he is certainly not first choice for me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I am sure that a guy who is tied with Mct for goals scored will have loads here clamoring for him to be signed.
If you are basically taking a year off in what is supposed to be your prime years, what does that say about you?
I will say give him one more year, and if he is same next season, move him on. But he is certainly not first choice for me.
They would be saying look how good he was in 19/20 instead of writing him off. I was told Lukaku was useless on here when when we sold him too, people were happy to see him sold for peanuts.

Abraxas

He's not right for us anymore. Whether he goes somewhere else and produces or not is irrelevant, the fundamental question the manager will be asking is what he has given to us over recent seasons and whether he is good enough moving forward. Particularly given he is a financial burden for the club because he is paid like a top forward. It's not a matter of 'keeping him around' as a nice little option on the left, if the manager goes to the board asking for forwards they'll rightly inform him we've got a bloke here on mega money, what's his role?

Given the lazy performances, the lack of movement, and general inability to consistently perform, it is logical the manager would want to move him on. He's had one good season, then some reasonable ones that contain huge fluctuations between matches that mean he is difficult to manage.

The problem is I don't see who is paying good money for Martial, what type of side is he desirable to and does he want to go there and can they afford him? A loan with no obligation to buy isn't good for us because if he puts in a performance like last season his value will be abysmal. I fear we're between a rock and a hard place.

Mainoldo

Still our best 3 most talented players. Would still keep unless we are looking to upgrade and quite frankly we don’t have the money for that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Question: are you expecting the same level of outcome with Mara and James as you do with martial? Martial is on top money, when, when has he consistently performed, as would be expected for a higher paid player who would expect to be played week in week out.

He’s not a top player, he’s too inconsistent,
Martial's form is dependent on too many factors indeed, but with right manager and league perhaps it can be achieved in a long run. Chelsea's Mata was superb, not anymore and James... not sure if he's big club material, he's still 23 and got heart to play intense football.

Perhaps the outcome is, they're three different players, but we'll get decent money for only one. If Ole didn't gave up on Mata & James, the chances are he won't give up on Martial... unless the good offer comes, but how are the chances of that ? Buying clubs underpay almost everytime they want one of our players.

Sancho will definitely shake hierarchy in attacking formation and then two things might happen, he'll finally buckle up like Shaw after Telles deal, or 2nd thing - he'll just quit completely.

EDIT: Kane deal in next couple of years could end Martial permanently as United player.

Robertd0803

If Ole didn't gave up on Mata & James, the chances are he won't give up on Martial...
Mata and James though seem to have the right attitude and even when James was going through a rough patch his effort at least couldnt be faulted. Martial on the other hand goes missing way too often and Im sure Im not the only one who questions his attitude.

TheRedHearted

Correct decision. Doesn't offer enough.
It was the agents decision, are you saying United doesn’t offer enough?
I Don't believe this. Rashford will be having his Op after euros. He will be out for couple of months. Martial will play on the left with James, If Pogba leaves .

We will be incredibly silly to go into next season without much cover on the left side. Cavani , Martial and Greenwood will be a good strike force to have to supplement Sancho/Rashford and Bruno.
Last season was definitely a one off.I think he will come good next season. Also seen a post of him distributing United Jersey s to some friends/football team...If relations are so broken ,surely he won't be giving out United Jersey's...or am I trying too hard..
With Rashford out we definitely still need martial.
People think it’s his attitude that’s the problem but what I think is he needs more aggression actually.

United in sin

I’m feckin glad Ole isn’t putting up with his half-arsed attitude.

If other players see him let Martial get away with it and it spreads like a virus.

I’ve called his attitude issues for years now, so obvious on the pitch. Good riddance.
let’s sell and get a player who is willing to run for the shirt as a minimum.
The source is Duncan Castles. You're reacting to the story as if it were the gospel truth!

Which other players have been infected by the 'Martial virus'? He's been here long enough so surely he must have some victims

In Rainbows

Mata and James though seem to have the right attitude and even when James was going through a rough patch his effort at least couldnt be faulted. Martial on the other hand goes missing way too often and Im sure Im not the only one who questions his attitude.
Martial even under the bad seasons under Mourinho everyone says he had, was better than James. James being great against tired defenses is a myth. He doesn't even utilize his speed to a level that is acceptable. I don't really see James as the same squad role of Martial anyways. Martial can play as a 9, while James can't. If Cavani goes down with injury (he's 34 years old), Martial becomes an option where as James wouldn't. James should be replaced by Diallo (of the games he plays on the right), and his minutes should be replaced by Sancho on the left.

el3mel

Martial even under the bad seasons under Mourinho everyone says he had, was better than James. James being great against tired defenses is a myth. He doesn't even utilize his speed to a level that is acceptable. I don't really see James as the same squad role of Martial anyways. Martial can play as a 9, while James can't. If Cavani goes down with injury (he's 34 years old), Martial becomes an option where as James wouldn't. James should be replaced by Diallo (of the games he plays on the right), and his minutes should be replaced by Sancho on the left.
Get rid of Martial and sign Ings as a squad option to Cavani. Best for everyone.

I have no problem keeping Martial as bench option and bench option only, but if his agent wants to move him on, then good riddance. He won't be missed that much and we can sign any striker from the league to sit on the bench for Cavani, it's not a big deal.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

This. 100%

RUCK4444

The source is Duncan Castles. You're reacting to the story as if it were the gospel truth!

Which other players have been infected by the 'Martial virus'? He's been here long enough so surely he must have some victims
C’mon man it’s clear as day. Just look at his displays this season, it’s not even a debate unless your a Tony fanboy of course.

I said ‘if the manager were to ignore his lazy / poor attitude’ it would spread like a virus.
The same goes for any player not just Martial.
If your leader accepts less from one of your peers then it’s human nature for many to drop a level (when the levels are seemingly dropped for you.)

Castles is relatively decent, but like I said I don’t need a Journo to say we aren’t happy with his application this season, anybody with a brain cell in this game wouldn’t be happy with it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Still our best 3 most talented players. Would still keep unless we are looking to upgrade and quite frankly we don’t have the money for that.
Talent isn't worth shit, if talent doesn't work.

He's Berbatov/Anelka 2.0 and it doesn't work with how United are willing to play. Writing was on the wall when Cavani started banging them in at 35.

Put a fork in him, he's done at United.