Martial agent looking for a new club for him

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Sell him, buy a hungry or another proven striker who is very good from coming off as a sub.

Diego Costa is available. :D
Giroud is worth a shout!

spiriticon

If Martial stays I have no idea which position he'll play in and how often he will play, but quite frankly I don't give a feck.

If he plays next season, he better bring the house down like Shaw did. Being just 'ok' isn't good enough.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What? Martial is awful on the left wing. To the extent that he really shouldn't play there. He's a striker, or he sits.
He's been fantastic in both positions, and he's been terrible in both positions.

If he gets back into form he can be a great option either on the wing or up front. The question is whether he will get back into form.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Sell him, buy a hungry or another proven striker who is very good from coming off as a sub.

Diego Costa is available. :D
Giroud is worth a shout!
How about Milik? Is he leaving Napoli

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I wonder why we can’t find bargain strikers like Liverpool did with Jota.
Jota is more of a winger than a striker. But I understand where are you heading to.

Pure strikers are more difficult to find, but wide forwards, wingers, second strikers are easily found in the market.

CG1010

I wonder why we can’t find bargain strikers like Liverpool did with Jota.
We can consider moving Bruno to false #9 and play with 3 man midfield with two 8s. But the point is moot as we have Cavani, Martial, Greenwood and Rashford at the club currently.

I feel this is a make or break time for Martial mentally.. he is probably seeing the doors of footballing stardom closing down like they have never before (during Mourinho's time he was still young and the club told him they rate him). Either this clears his mind and he becomes mentally ready to compete at the highest level (which is his only issue - footballing talent wise he is probably still the best we have) or he gives up now.

yamo123x

Would have expected Martial back at first team training considering he was not involved in euros, but no sign of him from pics I've seen.

Maybe he is off....

w1thout

Would have expected Martial back at first team training considering he was not involved in euros, but no sign of him from pics I've seen.

Maybe he is off....
No Wan-Bissaka in the photos either.
Maybe they've just been afforded a couple of extra vacation days

crossy1686

career ending

Maybe he is off....
Think they're assessing the reserve team at the moment, seeing if any of them are ready for first team football. First team lads should be back in a couple of weeks

Kag

I don't think it's strange at all. On the contrary it would have been strange if it wasn't an issue.

I don't think the depth and injuries points are very good. Where are we on left back with "a couple of bad injuries"? Or on right back? Or for the No 10 position? Even on the double slots positions we're in big, big trouble with two serious injuries in the same position. You don't need to prioritise a quality depth of three for a single slot position, not even City has that. And currently we have four (if you include Rashford). Also, with Sancho on board, more of Greenwood's starts are going to have to be as striker.

Secondly, the issue is what does it take for Martial to be an effective player, how does he fit in? In my view, to be effective he needs to be our main striker. He doesn't have the mindset to be a backup, and he's a very significantly less effective player when he plays out of position. So the question then is, is he good enough that you still think he's going to be your main starting striker, or has the time now come to conclude that that's just not very likely to happen? On the strength of his performances that seems to me less than likely, although certainly not impossible. But if you're not going to draw the line now, then the only way to find out is to give him the chance, and play him as your starter for a protracted period. Does that seem like the right course of action for United going into the new season?

I think we can do without the depth he brings. I also think that if United see him at this point as a backup, then it would be better both for him and for the team that he moves on.

People draw comparisons to Shaw. I don't think that's relevant at all. Shaw has never, under OGS, been at the point where there was serious reason to question whether he could be our main man on left back. He had a good 19/20, maybe not good enough to answer that question in the affirmative, but certainly more than good enough to warrant going forward with him into a new season. It would have been nuts to pull the plug on him last summer. Much, much less so with Martial this summer.
No, we can’t. He’s the only centre forward at the club apart from a 34 year old Cavani. You don’t sell him unless you replace him.

A lot of words without a whole lot of reason, to be honest.

You refer to left back and right back. We bought cover for Shaw: Telles. Wan-Bissaka has no cover which we are clearly trying to address. Bruno has cover: Van de Beek.

You’re recommending the sale of a perfectly good player when we haven’t the squad to cater for it.

justsomebloke

No, we can’t. He’s the only centre forward at the club apart from a 34 year old Cavani. You don’t sell him unless you replace him.

A lot of words without a whole lot of reason, to be honest.

You refer to left back and right back. We bought cover for Shaw: Telles. Wan-Bissaka has no cover which we are clearly trying to address. Bruno has cover: Van de Beek.

You’re recommending the sale of a perfectly good player when we haven’t the squad to cater for it.
This is perfectly straightforward.

You argued that without Martial, we would be two injuries away from having to play Daniel James at forward.

I pointed out that we in fact have four players who can play centre forward other than James, which we do.

I also pointed out that two serious injuries in the same position would put us in trouble in any position. Which you seem to think can be argued against by pointing out that we have two players who can play every position, except right back.

RoyH1

Courtois is not wrong. For all his promise, Martial is not really a major problem. No one outside us Utd fans rates him anymore.

hobbers

He's right isn't he? Martial isn't a major player.

Not even close.

NoPace

So, Martial, Van De Beek and a whack of cash for Kane? Seems like it might work for everyone.

justsomebloke

He's been fantastic in both positions, and he's been terrible in both positions.

If he gets back into form he can be a great option either on the wing or up front. The question is whether he will get back into form.
When's he been fantastic on the left wing? He plays that like he plays at striker, engaging in link-up play but not really effectively challenging defenders with any consistency. Which in effect makes him a badly positioned striker.

redmanx

Breaking News is that Spurs will accept £100 million for Kane but want Martial and DVB as part of the deal; United are supposedly in pole position to sign him but in order to land Kane they should throw in Martial and DVBs parents and children too, their goldfish and resurface Levys driveway for free! This is too good to miss, if Kane comes to United he'll be woth 25 goals plus and the difference between finishing second and FIRST in the Prem! We must not let Kane go to another club, especially a Premiership Club; if wages are a problem we have to sell Pogba for what ever we can get for him and DDG too therebye cutting the wage bill in order to give Kane what ever he wants!

Matthew84!

Breaking News is that Spurs will accept £100 million for Kane but want Martial and DVB as part of the deal; United are supposedly in pole position to sign him but in order to land Kane they should throw in Martial and DVBs parents and children too, their goldfish and resurface Levys driveway for free! This is too good to miss, if Kane comes to United he'll be woth 25 goals plus and the difference between finishing second and FIRST in the Prem! We must not let Kane go to another club, especially a Premiership Club; if wages are a problem we have to sell Pogba for what ever we can get for him and DDG too therebye cutting the wage bill in order to give Kane what ever he wants!
If this is true then Utd have to try, DVB won't play much next season especially if Mata is staying.
Martial i like him and his potential is huge but his work rate is not enough for more. Time for us to move on from him.
100m is alot but I think Pogba is being sold for around 60m so that almost covers that.
Rashford - Kane - Sancho with Bruno just behind. Sounds to good to be true.

redmanx

If this is true then Utd have to try, DVB won't play much next season especially if Mata is staying.
Martial i like him and his potential is huge but his work rate is not enough for more. Time for us to move on from him.
100m is alot but I think Pogba is being sold for around 60m so that almost covers that.
And theres Mason Greenwood and Cavanni too! We could be in for a double celebration; England winning their first trophy since 1966 and United winning the Premiership again! Im probably getting carried away, this all depends upon the Glaziers and how much they think they owe us for their treachoury re the super league! My guess is not a lot.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When's he been fantastic on the left wing? He plays that like he plays at striker, engaging in link-up play but not really effectively challenging defenders with any consistency. Which in effect makes him a badly positioned striker.
He was poor in the first season he was moved there (16/17), but in 17/18 he was easily our best option. Mourinho obviously didn't like him and he started that season behind Rashford in the pecking order, but even he had to eventually accept that Martial was performing better and he became first choice. Indeed from that position Martial was our best attacker in December and January that season. Then we immediately dropped him when we signed Sanchez. :mad:

The following season in 18/19 we started the same way we finished, with Sanchez getting all the chances. Mourinho finally turned back to Martial in desperation as he was about to be fired, and Martial (alongside Pogba) dragged us to enough victories to keep Jose in a job for another couple of months. Unfortunately the second half of that season (under Ole) was constantly broken up with injury and illness so he never got a proper run, and he's mostly been a striker ever since.

padzilla

Hipster
Sadly there is no way we are signing Kane. We will be saddled with five more years of Martial showing glimpses of form but not quite being good enough.

JB7

His underlying stats look very good. He got injured but played well in the games he was involved in. I think he’ll be a good player for them next season, unfortunately. I can also see them going for Bissouma for Gini
He had a good season but is undoubtably a back up player for them and was signed on the back of a poor season with Wolves, whose fans were astonished they got so much for him.

Matthew84!

If Martial stays which he might, I would expect him to be rotated with Rashford on the left or Cavani as a striker, either way he should be scoring minimum 15 goals next season.
As I expect Rashford to get 20.
Cavani 15 to 20 and Bruno to 15 next season.
Yes just my thoughts as we got Sancho so we may score more.