Martial and Rashford: Glory Man United

jackal&hyde

I'd slow the bus down a little there hoss. People really do have selective memory loss when it suits them. He scores a few goals and then suddenly it doesn't matter a lot of the embarrassing performances he's put in over the seasons. Past records show he may have a purple patch of maybe 5 games then goes about 15 being absolute dog shite. I wouldn't put him on god like status just yet.

Saying that, of course I hope he goes on and becomes one of our greats but everything is down to him because he obviously has the talent but his motivation has a massive question mark around it.
He was mismanaged imo by the Special Needs One by playing him out of position to make room for that donkey Lukaku and then Sanchez. When he did play mostly as a Nr. 9 under LVG he had something like 17 goals in his first ever season for United. This season i fully expect him to reach 20 goals if he can stay fit.

POF

Some really good signs from these 2 as a combination. They could have combined for 3 goals vs Norwich but for a couple of brilliant saves by Krul.

They already combined for Martial's goal at Wolves and their interplay set up James to score vs Palace. The only other game they've started together this season was Chelsea where they scored 3 between them.

In fact, in the 4 games they've started together this season, they've scored 6 goals and missed 3 penalties!

Hopefully they can get a consistent run of games together now.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He was mismanaged imo by the Special Needs One by playing him out of position to make room for that donkey Lukaku and then Sanchez. When he did play mostly as a Nr. 9 under LVG he had something like 17 goals in his first ever season for United. This season i fully expect him to reach 20 goals if he can stay fit.
And I really hope he does but I think more with my head than my heart. What I've seen over the years hasn't really impressed me and scoring a few goals isn't suddenly going to make him a perfect number 9. I think we have to keep things in balance, the same as the Ole situation. One or 2 games makes no real difference. It's about results on a consistent basis which is why I don't agree with comments like,

"you see? Ole is definitely the man to take us forward." or

"I told you that Martial is the perfect number 9." after just one game.

If Ole keeps getting results and Martial keeps scoring then doubts will start to dissappear but at the minute, at least for me those doubts remain.

AneRu

It was nice to see them actually have some chemistry together for once.
I think its the second time this season, if not the third, because Rashford assisted Martial for the goal at Wolves too. These two always had the chemistry but Mourinho destroyed when he came in and set them up against each other, I remember when we played against West Ham at Upton Park in Van Gaal's last season and West Ham's defense couldn't deal with their link up play. They are only returning to the chemistry they had then.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd slow the bus down a little there hoss. People really do have selective memory loss when it suits them. He scores a few goals and then suddenly it doesn't matter a lot of the embarrassing performances he's put in over the seasons. Past records show he may have a purple patch of maybe 5 games then goes about 15 being absolute dog shite. I wouldn't put him on god like status just yet.

Saying that, of course I hope he goes on and becomes one of our greats but everything is down to him because he obviously has the talent but his motivation has a massive question mark around it.
That's standard for young players. As the age and mature, they get more consistent. I really think we are seeing that with them. Even Rashford, when used properly, has been pretty consistent. Its when he has to be a lone striker that he struggles as that isnt his game. Hes used properly for England and is generally good for them. Starting to be used as a wide forward for the first time and he looks quality there IMO. Over the years both Martial and Rashford were either too isolated as target man #9's for Mourinho, or as wingers with too much emphasis on defensive covering. They're the ones that should stay up and launch counters, so need to be more strikers and wide forwards. Used like that over a period of time (if they stay fit) I'm sure would bring so much more consistency and improvement. They have to prove it of course, but I think we'll see it.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think its the second time this season, if not the third, because Rashford assisted Martial for the goal at Wolves too. These two always had the chemistry but Mourinho destroyed when he came in and set them up against each other, I remember when we played against West Ham at Upton Park in Van Gaal's last season and West Ham's defense couldn't deal with their link up play. They are only returning to the chemistry they had then.
I hope this is true because I've seen little chemistry between the 2 in the past few years. Yesterday was very good, we just need to see it more consistently.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I hope this is true because I've seen little chemistry between the 2 in the past few years. Yesterday was very good, we just need to see it more consistently.
True. Up until that 3rd goal, there's little to suggest these two worked well together.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
First time I've got to watch the highlights from yesterday. I'd seen the third goal which was a great bit of link up between the two.

The second goal was great though. The early ball from Maguire, the perfect lay off from Martial, the cross from James and then the touch and finish.

The lay off from Martial is probably the simplest and easiest part of that move but it's something that hasn't seen regularly from us since Zlatan.

starman

Heard the Cole and Yorke comparisons, but this goal came to mind yesterday, after seeing the link up for the 3rd

youmeletsfly

Wake the feck up, we just beat fecking Norwich.

If we lose next game you'll be in the Ole Out thread.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They're both excellent young players. Let's focus more on improving our buildup, playmaking, engine room, creativity and the rest of our attack.

Robertd0803

Its been sadly missed (almost to the point where you would almost forget it happened).

Gasolin

Maybe it's just me but I think even though we play with 3 forwards, in reality, it's essentially Martial and Rashford playing up top and James is supposed to hug the line more. Like he is being asked to be a combination of Giggs / Beckam (some of the crosses to open up play for goals were quite interesting, but otherwise, he would drive forward, with or without the ball).

I personally like that idea. Maybe when Pogba comes back, he's coming back as a 10, with Fred and Scott now stabilizing a bit more the middle?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The two players that United should have build the team around & develop them for long term since 2015/2016. Something that LVG would have done but Mourinho his replacement didn't do it and instead we signed Zlatan & wasted our money on Lukaku, Sanchez & about to spend 50m on Perisic.

I think these two have great potential that we often forget. With Pogba, James, & another top attacking mid to support them, I think it's a good foundation to build on.

AneRu

Maybe it's just me but I think even though we play with 3 forwards, in reality, it's essentially Martial and Rashford playing up top and James is supposed to hug the line more. Like he is being asked to be a combination of Giggs / Beckam (some of the crosses to open up play for goals were quite interesting, but otherwise, he would drive forward, with or without the ball).

I personally like that idea. Maybe when Pogba comes back, he's coming back as a 10, with Fred and Scott now stabilizing a bit more the middle?
Yeah we now just need someone with drive and quality from the left.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love how close they seem to be. After Rashford's free kick, when everyone had run off for kick off, Martial stayed behind for a bit of 1-on-1 time. :D

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I love how close they seem to be. After Rashford's free kick, when everyone had run off for kick off, Martial stayed behind for a bit of 1-on-1 time. :D
Martial had a big grin on his face after Rashford's free kick.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I’ve been frustrated watching these two but if Martial can stay fit they could develop into a great partnership.
There’s no reason they shouldn’t get 30 goals between them each season. OGS should insist on that at a minimum.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wonder how much Pogba not being around has increased their confidence? With them being the go-to talents on the pitch it must give them a sense of freedom

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wonder how much Pogba not being around has increased their confidence? With them being the go-to talents on the pitch it must give them a sense of freedom
I don't think it's linked at all, they weren't bad at all with Pogba in the first couple of games.

Linkage

The two players that United should have build the team around & develop them for long term since 2015/2016. Something that LVG would have done but Mourinho his replacement didn't do it and instead we signed Zlatan & wasted our money on Lukaku, Sanchez & about to spend 50m on Perisic.

I think these two have great potential that we often forget. With Pogba, James, & another top attacking mid to support them, I think it's a good foundation to build on.
Yes LVG would have built a team around Martial, a player he said was signed by Woodward and not him as well as being a signing for the next manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes LVG would have built a team around Martial, a player he said was signed by Woodward and not him as well as being a signing for the next manager.
What's your point of mentioning Ed?

Beside, Giggs has mentioned in the one of the PL match pundit that he was the one who scouted or found Martial. Giggs must have told LVG how good the kid was and we signed him. Big fees signings is a signing that needs approval from the manager to have the final say.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Given that a 21 year old who's new to this league and this club, and has endured a massive personal tragedy prior to the season start has been constantly outperforming them this season then they both can go and feck themselves.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Given that a 21 year old who's new to this league and this club, and has endured a massive personal tragedy prior to the season start has been constantly outperforming them this season then they both can go and feck themselves.
To be fair, Rashford looked injured.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well he's obviously being overplayed but hey, we didn't need the striker so we've sold Lukaku and Sanchez amrite?
I'm with you, man. I don't think our attack is good enough as it is. Even last season when we had Lukaku and Sanchez.

Falcow

Martial was shockingly lazy today. His refusal to make any runs really hurt us. He has the talent but is simply too lazy to become the player we all hoped he could become.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I won't criticise them today, I felt the midfield let them down (as it has many times this season). We're in desperate need of a creative player in there, I thought McT and Andreas were a big let down.