Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

daveoliver91

Brilliant player when he's on form and when he wants to deliver.
Hope he'll become really important for us this season, we really need him at his best.

Coops73

Not really sure about the kid but it was probably all part of the plan when his agent came out and said he wanted out, bit like a Rooney manoeuvre, let’s hope he pulls his finger out and uses that talent he clearly has to deserve a new contract.

-Supreme-

It's rather concerning how this club is being managed, many people will point to Jose but its much deeper than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

acnumber9

Do people really believe that Martial has been told by the club that Mourinho won’t be around for long? Are they actually happy about that? It would be moronic for anyone to tell a player that but it is so stupid I could almost imagine Woodward doing it. It’s not an idea worth celebrating mind you.

sherrinford

Interesting to see what his ardent fans on here say IF he outright rejects the offer.
Why wouldn’t he reject the offer? Mourinho is still in charge, Martial is still not quite in the starting picture. It makes little sense for him to sign a new contract currently.

JohnnyKills

It might be that we're planning to sell in January and want to get maximum value. Martial's agent may have agreed to the new contract on condition that we let him leave.

Either that or Woodward's trying to push Mourinho into resigning.

Kapardin

Do people really believe that Martial has been told by the club that Mourinho won’t be around for long? Are they actually happy about that? It would be moronic for anyone to tell a player that but it is so stupid I could almost imagine Woodward doing it. It’s not an idea worth celebrating mind you.
Not really, but I am sure there have been subtle assurances. Eg: Q: "Will I get playing time"? A: "Assuredly so", Q: "But the manager does not fancy me", A: "The club considers you as the potential face of our future for the next decade, this can be written in stone" etc.

Martial would probably be subtly prompted to read between the lines and formulate his own interpretation. If he signs the contract, he would probably have received encouraging signals.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If he signs the contract, it’s no indication of anything.

It’s a huge financial risk for any player to not protect their future with a reasonable length contract. If he smashed his legs up in a car accident or they discovered a heart condition for example, he wouldn’t be in a great position with only a matter of months left on his current contract.

If we tie him down to a 5 year deal and he wants to leave next summer, he could still force it through with a transfer request if he was adamant.

acnumber9

Not really, but I am sure there have been subtle assurances. Eg: Q: "Will I get playing time"? A: "Assuredly so", Q: "But the manager does not fancy me", A: "The club considers you as the potential face of our future for the next decade, this can be written in stone" etc.

Martial would probably be subtly prompted to read between the lines and formulate his own interpretation. If he signs the contract, he would probably have received encouraging signals.
I do love a good fictional conversation. The encouraging signals will be the salary I’m sure.

MUFC OK

I'll bet he won't sign a new contract any time soon. Wasn't DDG supposedly on the verge of signing one about 4 months ago?

This is probably the club leaking something to distract fans from the on field crap. I'd bet this time next week he still hasn't signed one.

LoneStar

Good decision either way. Of course he has talent and could go on to become a very good player for us. Worst case, we will have a strong hand in negotiations if we want to sell.

If Jose continues next season, would you be opposed to loaning him to a smaller club, where perhaps he gets to play every week? I think he desperately needs regular playing time to become better.

Rolaholic

Why are we doing this?! The guys is not bother at all to play for us, just cash in and move on.
How would the club be able to cash in when he'll have less than 6 months left in the January window where clubs would be to get him on a pre-contract for free?

Even if you'd hate the guy, which would be weird to me, the club making sure to protect their investment to get a decent return in the event he was ever sold is exactly what they should be doing. Leave the emotion out of it and think about it rationally

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This doesn't really make much sense.

I mean I'd rather keep him, but I thought Mourinho didn't want to? Is that a big fat lie or is the club just doing things in spite of it's own manager? If it's the later then how exactly is that going to work out?

Why would Martial even sign an extension? Is there going to be a stipulation saying he is allowed to cancel it if Mourinho kkeeps his job and doesn't play him enough?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No losers in this. Utd keeps a relatively good young talent whose value will only increase as time goes on. No doubt some clauses in there for him based on performance, appearances and cups.

It's also long-term deal so if Jose is here for two years max and he has a new five year then it gives any new gaffer time to asses him and work for him.

Hopefully, he does pull his socks up and makes the 11 or 9 role his own.

Aloysius's Back 3

I didn't particularly see any shocked faces when LVG ended up leaving. Plus Jose went from looking like he cleans old Trafford to someone in a suit who is about to head for a job interview :lol:

MiceOnMeth

This doesn't really make much sense.

I mean I'd rather keep him, but I thought Mourinho didn't want to? Is that a big fat lie or is the club just doing things in spite of it's own manager? If it's the later then how exactly is that going to work out?

Why would Martial even sign an extension? Is there going to be a stipulation saying he is allowed to cancel it if Mourinho kkeeps his job and doesn't play him enough?
Martial was a long term investment by the club and considering his potential and age it makes sense to give him a new contract so when or if we sell him we recoup that investment.

acnumber9

I didn't particularly see any shocked faces when LVG ended up leaving. Plus Jose went from looking like he cleans old Trafford to someone in a suit who is about to head for a job interview :lol:
Do the things you say make sense in your head?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Martial was a long term investment by the club and considering his potential and age it makes sense to give him a new contract so when or if we sell him we recoup that investment.
It makes sense if the manager wants to keep him and play him. If not he isn't much of an investment and he isn't going to want to sign the contract anyway.

I am also very uncomfortable with the idea of someone like Woodward overulling a manager when deciding on a player's long term potential. If Jose wants to keep him fine, if he doesn't there is no point offering him a contract while Jose is still the manager, other than to cause more friction.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He is just not a smart player IMO and I doubt he will ever amount to much. I'm viewing this as another mistake by the front office. The other most recent mistake was signing an aging Sanchez when we didn't need a left sided player.

Trizy

Good news.

What's the bet Martial's agent offered him to all the top clubs in the summer but none of them wanted him?

Revan

Assumptionman
It makes sense if the manager wants to keep him and play him. If not he isn't much of an investment and he isn't going to want to sign the contract anyway.

I am also very uncomfortable with the idea of someone like Woodward overulling a manager when deciding on a player's long term potential. If Jose wants to keep him fine, if he doesn't there is no point offering him a contract while Jose is still the manager, other than to cause more friction.
Isn't that exactly his job? You realize that if we sell Martial and then sack Jose on a few months, we just cannot set the time back? If you don't believe me, ask Chelsea about De Bruyne, Salah and to a lesser degree Lukaku.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If he signs the contract, it’s no indication of anything.

It’s a huge financial risk for any player to not protect their future with a reasonable length contract. If he smashed his legs up in a car accident or they discovered a heart condition for example, he wouldn’t be in a great position with only a matter of months left on his current contract.

If we tie him down to a 5 year deal and he wants to leave next summer, he could still force it through with a transfer request if he was adamant.
Neither of those things happen very often though, do they.

We didn't let him go, and no club was willing to pay anything substantial, when he had 2 years left on his contract. Who'd pay what we want when he was 5 years left on his contract? He could've put in a transfer request this summer if he was adamant.

The heart or legs issue, could happen but very very unlikely.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'd love to see Martial under another manager, and this news makes that seem more likely.

If the speculation about Jose wanting him gone is true, then this just furthers the impression that the club and manager are pulling in separate directions doesn't it?

tonnas

if he signs it means jose is going soon. He would be an idiot to sign with jose here.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
How would the club be able to cash in when he'll have less than 6 months left in the January window where clubs would be to get him on a pre-contract for free?

Even if you'd hate the guy, which would be weird to me, the club making sure to protect their investment to get a decent return in the event he was ever sold is exactly what they should be doing. Leave the emotion out of it and think about it rationally
We have the option for an additional year , so its 1.5 years left. Why do you want to keep a player that every year has a different issue and because of it , he dont deliver.

Lentwood

Does it not worry people that Jose is clearly happy for the player to leave but by all accounts Ed disagrees and is trying to tie him down to a long-term deal?

I'm not saying it's not right to give him a new contract and thus get value IF we sell the player on but I keep reading reports from all kinds of sources about how Ed thinks Jose should get more out of Martial. If that's true, who is Ed to make that decision? What are his footballing credentials?

ash_86

I don't mind us giving him a new deal if this motivates him. Does anyone know if the new deal would waive the sell on percentage for Monaco?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Has he signed yet? Has Jose left yet?

el3mel

Does it not worry people that Jose is clearly happy for the player to leave but by all accounts Ed disagrees and is trying to tie him down to a long-term deal?

I'm not saying it's not right to give him a new contract and thus get value IF we sell the player on but I keep reading reports from all kinds of sources about how Ed thinks Jose should get more out of Martial. If that's true, who is Ed to make that decision? What are his footballing credentials?
Stones said Mourinho has no problem with these negotiations. He was open to sell him in summer but has no problem keeping him as an option at the same time.

MrBest

Great news. I sense some chnage in the air this week. Martial signs new contract the way Jose was applauded at end of spurs game, some of the insta pics backing United this week from the players. I can't explain why and I'm expecting i may be wrong on sunday but this week feels like a new chapter. Im trying everything to be positive. Ggmu

jmaggio

Great news. I sense some chnage in the air this week. Martial signs new contract the way Jose was applauded at end of spurs game, some of the insta pics backing United this week from the players. I can't explain why and I'm expecting i may be wrong on sunday but this week feels like a new chapter. Im trying everything to be positive. Ggmu
Positivity is such a beautiful thing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Well Ed is Mourinho's boss although people seem to have a hard time getting to grips with this. He's assessing his performance and whether he should be our manager or not.

So no, I don't worry about that. A player I like signing an extension or a new contract is fine by me.

Lentwood

Well Ed is Mourinho's boss although people seem to have a hard time getting to grips with this. He's assessing his performance and whether he should be our manager or not.

So no, I don't worry about that. A player I like signing an extension or a new contract is fine by me.
Yes but that argument makes no sense because if you're the CEO of a bank, you don't walk around the trading floor interfering with your traders or analysts. You appoint the people you think are the right fit and let them get on with it

AndersB

I have no doubt he would shine and grow into a World Class player if he went to a rival. Hopefully he can do the same with us.

I don't see him as any worse than Leroy Sané for instance. The only difference is that one plays for a thriving team with a fluid, energetic attack while the other plays for José Mourinho.

Will be relieved if he signs.
How are those Martial tinted glasses working out for you? I see a lot of people wearing them these days. Should get a couple myself, as the Anthony Martial I've watched play for us these last seasons is absolutely nowhere near the level of Leroy Sane. He is much better at getting dispossessed, I would agree with that.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't mind us giving him a new deal if this motivates him. Does anyone know if the new deal would waive the sell on percentage for Monaco?
Contract between clubs transferring a player is different to contract between player and current team.

What does waive the sell on percentage is us keeping him past this window. The sell on percentage only came into play if he was sold prior to the closure of the 2018 summer registration period (or if he hit 25 caps for France in addition to the 25 goals he had already scored for us).