Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

ash_86

Contract between clubs transferring a player is different to contract between player and current team.

What does waive the sell on percentage is us keeping him past this window. The sell on percentage only came into play if he was sold prior to the closure of the 2018 summer registration period (or if he hit 25 caps for France in addition to the 25 goals he had already scored for us).

Perfect. We could keep 100% of the money we get for him :drool:. Something tells me there is a slight chance Woody prevented the sale due to this reason than anything.

Bestietom

Don't know what's going on anymore to be honest. I am wondering who offered him a new contract, and does Mourinho want to see it happen.??

Ondrej

I like Martial but only sane reason to give him a new contract right now is to strengthen our position when negotiating a transfer.

As much as I like him he hasn't performed at all for quite some time now, I don't care if it's for his inability to do so or because he's downed tools because of the manager. Either is hardly a reason for a pay rise.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes but that argument makes no sense because if you're the CEO of a bank, you don't walk around the trading floor interfering with your traders or analysts. You appoint the people you think are the right fit and let them get on with it
Depends on the job they're doing. You intervene when you have to. The idealistic situation of your manager calling all the shots is rare/going away. And I don't mind it given were never going to have another manager like SAF who could handle that responsibly and absolutely kill it.

deafepl

I think he will play inside forward with Dalot keeping width, overlapping and provide service for him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Isn't that exactly his job? You realize that if we sell Martial and then sack Jose on a few months, we just cannot set the time back? If you don't believe me, ask Chelsea about De Bruyne, Salah and to a lesser degree Lukaku.
I think you're missing the point.

If Mourinho doesn't want to keep Martial, and Martial doesn't want to stay if Mourinho isn't going to play him, and the manager of the team is Mourinho, what exactly is the point in offering Martial a new contract? What is it going to achieve? Is there going to be a stipulation in it saying that Mourinho will be sacked?

Devil may care

Thinking bewyond the toxic one is exactly what the club should be doing, a different manager that doesn't treat him like shit will get a lot more out of him.

gza the genius

For this to make any sense you basically either have to assume a) Mourinho is leaving soon or b) Mourinho is willing to give Martial another chance and Martial is willing to stop pouting and start putting in the effort.

Another equally likely scenario is that Mourinho doesn't end up leaving soon and Martial doesn't improve and now he's on high wages that no other club will pay him and our valuation of him is far too high for other clubs as well. Then we're stuck with yet another player on bloated wages who the manager doesn't intend on playing ever.

ekestubbe

First of all, why would they announce this publicly if it hasn't been signed yet? Seems to me like something they should keep to themselves until the deal is done.

Also, extending his contract makes no sense to me under the current circumstances. He is clearly not rated by Mourinho, and will likely continue to be mostly off the team completely. This means his value will plummet and as a player he obviously won't improve if he doesn't play.

On top of that it doesn't make sense from Martial's perspective to sign a new contract either. Unless he wants to do a Winston Bogarde, but I think he's more ambitious than that.

Reactions: Jippy

Nickosaur

Not sure what to make of all this.

You know when you sim your FM save for a couple of months just to see what happens? And it's chaos when you get back? Feels kinda like that.

izec

I think you're missing the point.

If Mourinho doesn't want to keep Martial, and Martial doesn't want to stay if Mourinho isn't going to play him, and the manager of the team is Mourinho, what exactly is the point in offering Martial a new contract? What is it going to achieve? Is there going to be a stipulation in it saying that Mourinho will be sacked?
It only makes sense if Jose is going after the season or the press lied about Jose wanting to sell him and he likes him actually. Choose whichever you want

Ban

On one hand it's good news cause we can sell him for good money or stays. On the other hand he may be a problem for a new manager once he decides he isn't up to it really. Not to mention it proves Ed is working behind Jose back of indeed Jose wanted to sell him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
On one hand it's good news cause we can sell him for good money or stays. On the other hand he may be a problem for a new manager once he decides he isn't up to it really. Not to mention it proves Ed is working behind Jose back of indeed Jose wanted to sell him.
I could be wrong but wasn't it just a case that Jose was "open" to selling him, if an offer came in? I don't think he was actively pursuing getting rid of Martial. If the club want to give Martial a new contract I doubt Jose gives a toss.

Craig Ward

For this to make any sense you basically either have to assume a) Mourinho is leaving soon or b) Mourinho is willing to give Martial another chance and Martial is willing to stop pouting and start putting in the effort.

Another equally likely scenario is that Mourinho doesn't end up leaving soon and Martial doesn't improve and now he's on high wages that no other club will pay him and our valuation of him is far too high for other clubs as well. Then we're stuck with yet another player on bloated wages who the manager doesn't intend on playing ever.
So true this.

For me, Jose doesn't want him. The player looks unhappy.

A pay rise? Based on what? Raw talent and sulking?

This is further evidence that the board and manager have completely different views

redIndianDevil

It's win-win for everyone IMO except I'm not sure how Mourinho's ego will handle it, the club extending the contract of a player he wanted sold for two years now. Martial will probably start working harder if he sees his future here or if he still wants to go we can negotiate for a better price.

Ban

I could be wrong but wasn't it just a case that Jose was "open" to selling him, if an offer came in? I don't think he was actively pursuing getting rid of Martial. If the club want to give Martial a new contract I doubt Jose gives a toss.
In any case if he signs better to sell him imo.

Aloysius's Back 3

Jesus - people really think other clubs don't want him :lol: - You'd give them the option of Sanchez vs Martial; I could tell you the score right now. Only we are different because we can do no wrong.

Beagle

Interesting to see what his ardent fans on here say IF he outright rejects the offer.
Not a fan, but I like the way he plays when on form. It's not so far-fetched to think that he might reject. If he has heard of any other club who might be interested, it'd probably be justified for him. For example if a club like Roma or Napoli are interested I guess it'd an easy choice for him to leave.

Greck

Tbh I'm more surprised people think Jose will be here long enough for his long term opinion on the player to be the only consideration. The board certainly aren't acting that way

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It only makes sense if Jose is going after the season or the press lied about Jose wanting to sell him and he likes him actually. Choose whichever you want
You would hope the first, as the alternative is we have Mourinho managing us knowing he's going to be sacked anyway regardless of how much shit he stirs

Tarrou

he's not even in the match-day squad for Spurs and now we're offering him a 5 year deal - weird

Cloud7

Tbh I'm more surprised people think Jose will be here long enough for his long term opinion on the player to be the only consideration. The board certainly aren't acting that way
Kinda feels like this to be honest. From the summer window to now, it feels as if the club is planning for a future without Mourinho, at the latest, by next summer.

ErranMorad

Strange decision, if true, as Jose is not going to play him much on evidence. He cannot have another season of his development wasted under Jose. I wouldn't mind if he is sent out on loan to Sevilla, who missed out on Diaz, for the rest of the season. No point keeping him here when the manager clearly doesn't fancy him.

Or maybe we are getting rid of Jose soon and hiring Zidane who might fancy him?

Another strange one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I support this decision and believe in his talent. Not sure about the rest of our team, but he’d be a world beater if Van Gaal never left I reckon.

arnie_ni

Martial fan here... but wtf is going on? Jose obviously doesn't want him so why have a manager that you clearly don't agree with on player ingoings and outgoings.

Something has to give here

The_Order

Good move by the club.

Jhst wait out José, which is looking like a good bet.

Rednotdead

I support this decision and believe in his talent. Not sure about the rest of our team, but he’d be a world beater if Van Gaal never left I reckon.
He's been here since 1st Sept 2015, long enough to establish himself. He patently hasn't done so. People can't keep blaming others for his failures, players have to take responsibility for their own performances.

Posh Red

I just can't get over all of these comments saying 'not deserved', 'needs to start playing well and earn it' etc. Literally none of our forwards are in form, and most of them haven't even shown prolonged periods of form at any point whilst playing at United. It just seems painfully obvious that the club is currently not a good place for attacking players to flourish. I feel like I've gone mad reading some of these comments.

I mean, we signed one of the moat dangerous attackers in Europe and look how that turned out. Why are we expecting a young player to make consistent 7/10 performances? He barely gets a run of games to even build some form.

stepic

He's been here since 1st Sept 2015, long enough to establish himself. He patently hasn't done so. People can't keep blaming others for his failures, players have to take responsibility for their own performances.
Yep

Truly world class players don’t need the excuses Martial gets on this forum. ‘He’d Be world class is LVG was still here’. If all it takes is to be dropped for him to lose confidence and complain and give up, then that player will never be world class.

Which is fine, most players don’t end up being world class. People need to manage their expectations though.