Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

Davs

People saying it's not a good move for the club are honestly not thinking straight. Would you rather him leave at the end of the season on a free? No.

ash_86

Isn't a contract offer not already on the table for Martial for past 6 months? or did we retract it?

Posh Red

Yep

Truly world class players don’t need the excuses Martial gets on this forum. ‘He’d Be world class is LVG was still here’. If all it takes is to be dropped for him to lose confidence and complain and give up, then that player will never be world class.

Which is fine, most players don’t end up being world class. People need to manage their expectations though.
Would you have said Sanchez was a top player before we signed him? Or pogba?

RedFish

Yep

Truly world class players don’t need the excuses Martial gets on this forum. ‘He’d Be world class is LVG was still here’. If all it takes is to be dropped for him to lose confidence and complain and give up, then that player will never be world class.

Which is fine, most players don’t end up being world class. People need to manage their expectations though.
Get your point, but I think it's fair to say Martial's potential is massive though. Seeing him flourish elsewhere would be a real kick in the teeth.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's been here since 1st Sept 2015, long enough to establish himself. He patently hasn't done so. People can't keep blaming others for his failures, players have to take responsibility for their own performances.
And we shouldn’t be talking in obituaries about a 22 year old either. His ‘failures’ are perhaps being prematurely cast.

I’m not excusing his fortunes here entirely. That said, we know he has the talent. It is up to both him and the club to get it out of him. I think it can be argued that neither have done their part in that respect.

Ultimately, we want the kid to fulfil his potential, it’s not about slagging off. For all those in a hurry to sell him, they should take a reality check. He was the best young player in the world just a couple of years ago. Sell him, there’s no Mbappé or Dembele coming in to replace him. We are not currently positioned to get an equivalent of Martial in terms of tea top tier potential. They are all going to other teams. It’s better we work with the talent we have. Similarly to those trying to shop Pogba in the summer. We can’t buy that type of talent. Unless we buy a 12 year old version or something, I doubt we can currently buy anyone with the talent level of Martial so some patience is wise, I think.

Gandalf

Good idea. Call his bluff by offering him a new deal and when the whiny, talentless cnut refuses to sign we can bin him off to Stoke or some other club on his level without the fans losing their minds.

Andrew~

Ridiculous, I want this kid to stay but it makes no sense whatsoever to go over the manager's head. If the club don't think he's the one, sack him and be done with it instead of undermining him like that.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I hope he signs it so we can have more years of great lead up play only for Tony to smash it against defenders legs.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Great to see. The people whinging about this probably thought letting Fellaini hold us by the balls publicly was the right thing to do because we had to "back" the manager.

Martial on a long-term contract is great for the club - he stays and does well, we have a great player; he decides to leave - we can command a premium which his age and potential warrant despite what some top reds would have you think.

As for Mourinho's authority being compromised - he's done that with shit football and recently shit results. If we had a DoF, he'd have to fall in line anyway.

I hope Martial signs the contract. He's not been worse than Sanchez who displaced him in the 1st team in January not based on performances but pure managerial bias.

hobbers

Don't see the point of letting one of our most talented (however shite he's been recently) players leave on a free in a year.

And however bad he's been when he has gotten minutes the last few months, he's not been any worse than a certain £390k/week man who was basically signed to take his place.

PieCrust

Jose will never be able to get the best out of him. Still huge questions if Martial can get the best out of himself as well.

Only makes sense if the board is planning for Jose out. Although, with Woodward running things, this could have absolutely nothing to do with football and everything to do with protecting an asset.

Ashley R1+O

His wages should be halved. The club should be offering that on a 3 year deal and asking him to play for his next negotiation. Not a pay increase, that would be absolutely ludicrous.

But this post actually made some sense and brought a new angle to the debate.
Contract between clubs transferring a player is different to contract between player and current team.

What does waive the sell on percentage is us keeping him past this window. The sell on percentage only came into play if he was sold prior to the closure of the 2018 summer registration period (or if he hit 25 caps for France in addition to the 25 goals he had already scored for us).

If Mourinho wants him to stay, re-negotiating and restructuring the deal (which includes a bunch of ludicrous guff on it) makes sense as a club, the raw front-office data.

Sign it or don't sign it, we'll move on.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can't the club do it this way? Increase his salary but not by a crazy amount and then put in an agreement, based on his productivity and contributions He'd get bonuses. Play like the talented player that He is and He'll earn much more through bonuses.

Keeps him motivated while still being "appreciated" through money. Wouldn't mind if He stays.

JohnnyKills

I'm all for him staying but it is a terrible message to send going above Jose's head (even if it is the right decision). Cuts him off at the knees
Woody started sawing weeks ago.

The club (or Mourinho's camp) have briefed that he's on board with the contract extension. But how would it benefit him for Martial to have a longer contract when he clearly doesn't want him at the club?

I'm no fan of Mourinho but he may have a case for constructive dismissal the way this is going.

QoS

Supports
Liverpool
It's smart to give him a new contract, but the message it sends out again is that the club and Mourinho aren't seeing eye to eye. Just like you were back in the transfer window. Why not just get rid of Mourinho already?

IF Martial signs that new deal, 100% Mourinho is going.

JohnnyKills

I think you're missing the point.

If Mourinho doesn't want to keep Martial, and Martial doesn't want to stay if Mourinho isn't going to play him, and the manager of the team is Mourinho, what exactly is the point in offering Martial a new contract? What is it going to achieve? Is there going to be a stipulation in it saying that Mourinho will be sacked?
How long has Mourinho got though? His contract only lasts until 2020 as it is. He hasn't even moved out of his hotel in Manchester.

Best-case scenario seems to be that he stays until the end of the season. So Martial has a maximum of eight months to wait out.

sherrinford

Woody started sawing weeks ago.

The club (or Mourinho's camp) have briefed that he's on board with the contract extension. But how would it benefit him for Martial to have a longer contract when he clearly doesn't want him at the club?

I'm no fan of Mourinho but he may have a case for constructive dismissal the way this is going.
There is nothing to suggest that Mourinho clearly doesn’t want Martial at the club.

Ultimately Mourinho’s job is to coach the first team squad, not negotiate contracts.

Coops73

The thing is (and I may be wrong here) but I don’t remember Jose saying he didn’t want Martial here, I just remember him saying (or it being reported) that if any player wants to leave they can, so maybe he’s happy about the u turn, let’s hope he can u turn his form and attitude, I can’t see it but I hope to be proved wrong.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
And we shouldn’t be talking in obituaries about a 22 year old either. His ‘failures’ are perhaps being prematurely cast.

I’m not excusing his fortunes here entirely. That said, we know he has the talent. It is up to both him and the club to get it out of him. I think it can be argued that neither have done their part in that respect.

Ultimately, we want the kid to fulfil his potential, it’s not about slagging off. For all those in a hurry to sell him, they should take a reality check. He was the best young player in the world just a couple of years ago. Sell him, there’s no Mbappé or Dembele coming in to replace him. We are not currently positioned to get an equivalent of Martial in terms of tea top tier potential. They are all going to other teams. It’s better we work with the talent we have. Similarly to those trying to shop Pogba in the summer. We can’t buy that type of talent. Unless we buy a 12 year old version or something, I doubt we can currently buy anyone with the talent level of Martial so some patience is wise, I think.
I have to agree (again) with what you say. There's no harm in offering such a player a long term deal, one that if signed will in all likelihood see him outlast Jose at the club. I get the excuses have been a little over the top at times, we have to face it that Martial himself hasn't grabbed opportunities offered to him, but that's no reason to cut him asunder now.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How is there even an argument against this? His contract runs out at the end of this season. If he signs this it’s a win win. If he doesn’t, he clearly has absolutely no intention of being here so, once again, win win.

Utdstar01

How is there even an argument against this? His contract runs out at the end of this season. If he signs this it’s a win win. If he doesn’t, he clearly has absolutely no intention of being here so, once again, win win.
Nah we have an option to extend for a further year which we will take.

Smores

There is nothing to suggest that Mourinho clearly doesn’t want Martial at the club.

Ultimately Mourinho’s job is to coach the first team squad, not negotiate contracts.
Exactly, we've handed contract renewals to loads of players not particulary wanted over the last couple of seasons it's how the club secures their assets. Not once have i seen it reported as a power battle, just the media shit stirring.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The thing is (and I may be wrong here) but I don’t remember Jose saying he didn’t want Martial here, I just remember him saying (or it being reported) that if any player wants to leave they can, so maybe he’s happy about the u turn, let’s hope he can u turn his form and attitude, I can’t see it but I hope to be proved wrong.
Many people have took it for granted that there's a problem because the media said there is. Exactly the same situation that Shaw was apparently in. Nothing is certain. Martial seems to always look happy enough in the training photos etc. Let's see how things unfold over the next few weeks.

Rake

Many people have took it for granted that there's a problem because the media said there is. Exactly the same situation that Shaw was apparently in. Nothing is certain. Martial seems to always look happy enough in the training photos etc. Let's see how things unfold over the next few weeks.
His agent came out in the beginning of the summer and said that Martial wants to leave because has hasn't been offered a better contract. He complained that they have been negotiating for 8 months but couldn't find agreement so Martial has decided to leave. So, this is just a contract game.

We can only speculate if we wanted to sell him but couldn't or if something happened and the board decided to offer min an extension. Of course, signing a new contract means nothing and he could be sold in the Winter/Summer transfer window just as easy.

GBBQ

I don't think Mourinho has ever doubted Martial's abilities but he has concerns over his consistency and reliability. Would be great to see him thrive here again

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Good idea. Call his bluff by offering him a new deal and when the whiny, talentless cnut refuses to sign we can bin him off to Stoke or some other club on his level without the fans losing their minds.
Lol this guy has really made people lose sense.

Explain to me why he is
1. Whiney
2. Talentless

Further more what makes him a Cnut?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Why are people assuming Jose is not happy or against this contract extension? Are there any quotes to confirm this to be the case or we're just believing media narratives, again?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why are people assuming Jose is not happy or against this contract extension? Are there any quotes to confirm this to be the case or we're just believing media narratives, again?
It's a pretty easy assumption to make given the way he has treated the player and the multiple reports that he wanted him out to fund his other transfer targets. Now, of course, that could all be false but it's more likely true.

Messigician

I think he realised no clubs are going to meet United's price valuation for him so he will stay and sign that contract. Not to mention being left out of the world cup squad.

Tbh I see no difference from the player I was watching during the time with LVG and Martial now in fact he has probably regressed.

Compare Mbappe from his time at Monaco and now what a huge difference.

Martial really needs to step up or risk becoming another player who has failed to live up to their potential and be forgotten

Romano: Latest contract

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
https://www.calciomercato.com/en/ne...offer-new-e9m-to-juventus-bayern-target-52921

But there’s a problem: as of last week, the Red Devils have offered the 21-year-old a new deal, one worth €9-10 million a year and which would keep the Frenchman at the Old Trafford way past the summer of 2019, when his current deal expires.

Despite playing a bit-part role under José Mourinho, it appears that the Old Trafford side is convinced that it can persuade the former Monaco man to stay.

Rather than let him sign with anyone when it comes to January, United seem intent on offering the French international a second chance.

It’s going to be very hard for Juventus, or Bayern, or the other clubs following Martial to get their man if this deal is made...

by Fabrizio Romano

Romano is very reliable but he can't get to seem a simple fact in his head that we have the option to extend Martial's contract till 2020. Even if he wants to leave, he won't do it on a free.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Romano is very reliable but he can't get to seem a simple fact in his head that we have the option to extend Martial's contract till 2020. Even if he wants to leave, he won't do it on a free.
Seems to be the same issue with most journalists. All it takes is 5 seconds of a google search to see we have an extra year option on his contract.

ice-bionic red

I’d be very surprised if he signs a new deal with us. Why would he when Jose won’t play him?