Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

Ashley R1+O

I am still wondering why anybody would be happy to double his wages after this fiasco over the last two seasons. It doesn't really make any sense at all. Okay, Ed going over the top to secure an asset might be a fair call in terms of the internal machinations of how the club is being run. I get that, but fans should not be happy for him to receive a pay increase here. It makes zero sense.

If anything he should be having his wages cut or at the very best, be offered the same deal on a 2+1 with incentive to re-negotiate in two years time for more money after he's actually put in a legitimate shift.
Why would you pay him more here, he's done absolutely nothing to warrant falling over ourselves to increase his pay? This is bizarre stuff to be honest.

Crashoutcassius

I am still wondering why anybody would be happy to double his wages after this fiasco over the last two seasons. It doesn't really make any sense at all. Okay, Ed going over the top to secure an asset might be a fair call in terms of the internal machinations of how the club is being run. I get that, but fans should not be happy for him to receive a pay increase here. It makes zero sense.

If anything he should be having his wages cut or at the very best, be offered the same deal on a 2+1 with incentive to re-negotiate in two years time for more money after he's actually put in a legitimate shift.
Why would you pay him more here, he's done absolutely nothing to warrant falling over ourselves to increase his pay? This is bizarre stuff to be honest.
If he says no to pay cut we should let him leave for free ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is The Mirror quoting The Sun.
The Mirror quoting the Sun is quite an iconic duo. They could tell me it's raining when I'm stood in a thunderstorm and I'd still double check.

Ashley R1+O

If he says no to pay cut we should let him leave for free ?
He doesn't want to play? So yes, if this lasts that long and his contract winds up and he leaves on a free. Goodbye, generally don't understand why fans are behind this kind of squad derailing behavior.

JMack1234

Maybe i'm reading too much into this..but isn't this a sign in big 15ft neon letters that the club is already starting to think beyond Mourinho?

We need an rvn

Maybe i'm reading too much into this..but isn't this a sign in big 15ft neon letters that the club is already starting to think beyond Mourinho?
I think that's a fair shout. The club have seen the warning signs with mous behaviour and relationship with the player, also very much aware he quickly shipped out young talent in de bruyne and salah and look at them now.

Don't want the same mistake with martial as the next manager will probably get much more out of him

rotherham_red

I think that's a fair shout. The club have seen the warning signs with mous behaviour and relationship with the player, also very much aware he quickly shipped out young talent in de bruyne and salah and look at them now.

Don't want the same mistake with martial as the next manager will probably get much more out of him
Personally I see Jose getting us top 4 and us amicably and mutually parting ways at the end of the season. It hasn't worked out in the main but he's improved the playing staff to a great degree from what it was before he arrived and the building blocks are in place for whoever the next man in charge is.

Cloudface

Mourinho has a 15 year history of almost unrivalled success, developing players from across the globe. And that's undermined because he once authorised the sale of Kevin de Bruyne? I thought Salah was gone after Mourinho left Chelsea? But anyway, if the board is undermining the manager's wishes because of this then no manager in world football is going to have a good time here.

LInkash

Well Sanchez is our highest paid player and Martial has contributed more than him.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Mourinho has a 15 year history of almost unrivalled success, developing players from across the globe. And that's undermined because he once authorised the sale of Kevin de Bruyne? I thought Salah was gone after Mourinho left Chelsea? But anyway, if the board is undermining the manager's wishes because of this then no manager in world football is going to have a good time here.
There was an option to make the deal permanent when Chelsea loaned Salah, which Roma activated.

JohnnyKills

Well actually if we're being accurate, he has a seven-year history of unrivaled success (2003-10) and an eight-year history of sporadic success interspersed with disappointment (2010-).

If we were still at Peak Mourinho, noone would doubt his decision to discard Martial. But all the evidence suggests he's in decline, and his disastrous transfer decisions (KdB and Salah) are far more recent than his Champions League successes.

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
It's amazing that rival fans see it this way but our own fans don't. Martial is probably the only player we have that strikes fear into teams when he is running full pelt at defenders. Nobody else has that impact You're not the only fan to say something like this. We saw what his potential could be in 2015/16 and that was only potential, not his top level. Since then he doesn't play with the same confidence. A fit and happy Martial is still our best attacker.
Literally when we play you, he is one of the players I'm concerned about. He has the physical and technical attributes to cause anyone problems. He'd be even more dangerous when he cuts in and an in-form Shaw making runs on the outside. The best thing about him is that he is young. With experience and maturity, he can be a top level player

Crashoutcassius

He doesn't want to play? So yes, if this lasts that long and his contract winds up and he leaves on a free. Goodbye, generally don't understand why fans are behind this kind of squad derailing behavior.
I get what you're saying but when contracts get short and players are worth 60m + the club generally moves to protect their asset. It is a balancing act but in some circumstances saying you to a player like martial either take a pay cut or leave for free in 2 years is biting off the nose to spite the face

Carl S Bridge

Potentially a world class player, in a good team would be in an ideal young player coming through. Technically fantastic, good finisher, good dribbler, exciting and fools defender's.... Unfortunately we are poor going forward create few chances and he spends more time tracking a full back then in decent positions. How can he shine? None of our wingers do... Sanchez the superstar, rashford, Mata or lingard... Put martial in attacking spaces and he'll cause damagd

Raven

Potentially a world class player, in a good team would be in an ideal young player coming through. Technically fantastic, good finisher, good dribbler, exciting and fools defender's.... Unfortunately we are poor going forward create few chances and he spends more time tracking a full back then in decent positions. How can he shine? None of our wingers do... Sanchez the superstar, rashford, Mata or lingard... Put martial in attacking spaces and he'll cause damagd
For me this seems so obvious, I'm happy other people still recognise this. The revisionist mouthpiecery about him on here is scandalous.

Ashley R1+O

Well Sanchez is our highest paid player and Martial has contributed more than him.
Sanchez has been here for about three seconds. Sanchez did more for Arsenal than Martial has for us, he did the time at Arsenal and proved he was Premier league quality - hence the club signing him. (Even I don't agree with the wages that Sanchez is on but he's already shown enough personal responsibility to give back on the pitch regardless of the wages).

If Martial's response is anything less than "I will prove you wasted your money by keeping him out of the team" then he might as well walk out the door right now, makes it even more bizarre that we'd give him a pay-rise for what was essentially throwing the toys out of the pram from signing Sanchez (someone who he will learn a great deal from emulating and trying to aspire to be) and up until this point. Bizarre.

I get what you're saying but when contracts get short and players are worth 60m + the club generally moves to protect their asset. It is a balancing act but in some circumstances saying you to a player like martial either take a pay cut or leave for free in 2 years is biting off the nose to spite the face
Well, yes. Hence my caveat that Ed Woodward is playing 'Mr Billy Big Bollocks' director of football over the top of Jose's head instead of working with him, it makes complete sense if Ed thinks he's the big man trying to secure these guys for their off the pitch reputation, I'd rather it be on the pitch reputation but this is the United we watch now. We have to get used to it.

Ed needs to pouch the balls and do what Mourinho wants, that is what aspiring to build a cohesive squad and win football matches is about. Tromboning out the weak players who at the first sign of trouble run for the hills asking for their paycheck to be cannoned out over to them where they don't have to take any responsibility, is more important than milking them for marketing dollars. Chicken and egg scenario.

I do wonder how much grovelling the club is doing to him on a marketing level, considering they made an MUTV documentary for him.

Last edited:

Silver

Erm, Sanchez has not only won dozens more trophies than Martial, he's also an established international player whereas Martial can't even make it in to the French squad. Martial doesn't warrant to be anywhere near Sanchez in terms of salary of prestige.

Silver

Well actually if we're being accurate, he has a seven-year history of unrivaled success (2003-10) and an eight-year history of sporadic success interspersed with disappointment (2010-).

If we were still at Peak Mourinho, noone would doubt his decision to discard Martial. But all the evidence suggests he's in decline, and his disastrous transfer decisions (KdB and Salah) are far more recent than his Champions League successes.
That's just ridiculous. What evidence suggests that? Disastrous transfer decisions - two transfers one of which he wasn't even responsible for? I mean even SAF went through periods where he didn't and made dodgy transfer decisions - selling Stam, Beckham... buying Blanc etc. And he certainly hasn't discarded Martial. Martial hasn't performed. That's it. Mourinho has given him chances and continues to do so. Martial hasn't done anything to deserve a starting place. If he was playing under SAF it would be the same.

suhaylah

Imo, he'll sign the contract if he thinks Mourinho is leaving the club.

el3mel

Better to wait for stronger sources first before commenting. Mirror quoting Sun doesn't boost any kind of reliability for me.

lewwoo

The mirror quoting the sun is like Bill Clinton telling you something Donald Trump had told him.

JohnnyKills

That's just ridiculous. What evidence suggests that? Disastrous transfer decisions - two transfers one of which he wasn't even responsible for? I mean even SAF went through periods where he didn't and made dodgy transfer decisions - selling Stam, Beckham... buying Blanc etc. And he certainly hasn't discarded Martial. Martial hasn't performed. That's it. Mourinho has given him chances and continues to do so. Martial hasn't done anything to deserve a starting place. If he was playing under SAF it would be the same.
You say my post is ridiculous and then make a completely baseless statement which isn't supported by any evidence?

As for the evidential basis for my original point - since 2010 he's averaging one major trophy every four years (two league titles in that time). Before that he was winning one practically every season. How much more evidence of decline do you need?

Grande

You say my post is ridiculous and then make a completely baseless statement which isn't supported by any evidence?

As for the evidential basis for my original point - since 2010 he's averaging one major trophy every four years (two league titles in that time). Before that he was winning one practically every season. How much more evidence of decline do you need?
That’s not evidence of decline, it’s called regression towards the mean. Google it.

Cloudface

There was an option to make the deal permanent when Chelsea loaned Salah, which Roma activated.
Ah, fair enough. Although if Chelsea really wanted Salah to stay I feel they could have persuaded him.

If Mourinho's last eight years mean he can't be trusted with organising playing staff, then we are going to be on a consistant hiding to nowhere no matter who we hire as his record is still amongst the best. There will always be a bad transfer to undermine someone's record. In the space of four years under Fergie we lost Pique (preferred Evans), Ronaldo (only god knows), Tevez and Pogba (deemed not ready). I doubt undermining Fergie on transfers and handing squad management over to Gill would be seen as a healthy thing for the club to do.

UncleBob

Who ?

spiriticon

If Martial is seriously thinking of renewing, I hope he hasn't factored Mourinho's likely tenure into consideration. That would be career suicide.

b20times

I think martial is waiting to see if jose stays or not before committing.
Such a shame as I think he could be right up there with some of our most exciting players we've got.

Rusholme Ruffian

Simple maths is useful to assess statistical development. Which is what you’re doing.

First, you skew the sample your way, by setting the cutoff after 2010 to maximise the difference. It’s illogical unless you already knew something that happened in 2010 that you would assume would suddenly make Mourinho a much worse trainer, and wanted to test that hypothesis. If you said ‘from 2010’, he’d have 1 CL, 1 EL, 3 league titles, 2 national cups and 2 league cups in 9 seasons.

Second, you omit trophies normally counted, to suit you claim.

Third, you claim two league titles from La Liga and Premier league in eight year is average. In what group is that average?

Klopp? Pochettino? Sarri? Emery? Ancelotti? Heynkes? Niko Kovac?
Zidane? Lopetegui? Simeone? Benitez?
Vilanova, Martino? Enrique? Valverde?
Allegri and Conte, if you stick to league titles, are the only ones of all these with more than two in a G5 league since 2010. These titles are hard to come by.

Moyes is average. Guardiola is an anomaly. So was Mourinho’s haul in the 00s. Mourinho based on a reasonable throphy count in the 2010’s only, is still one of the best around.

Ed: sorry, thought this was the Mourinho out thread. Feel free to move this exchange there, as it’s OT here.
Oosh, game, set and match! :D

daniel.moore93

I thought Martial is not a player that cant be replaced. Even Lingard can fill his position

JohnnyKills

I thought Martial is not a player that cant be replaced. Even Lingard can fill his position
Not sure about that. Lingard's a good player but Martial's got the potential to be a different level to me. He's the best teenager we've had since Ronaldo and Rooney. That's not to say he'll definitely come good, but hopefully he'll get the chance under a different manager.