Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

Infra-red

And yet Real did exactly this with James. I still remember the numbers making the round before we got him. Many people thougt he wouldn't move fpr less than 80 million. Well, he did. I think people underestimate the impact the good relationships we have with you, Real, Barca and Juve have. If Martial wants to move to us only we'll get him cheap (relatively speaking).
What has given you the idea that Martial has any interest in playing for Bayern?

FerociousCorgis

I mean we can use the money from his sale to buy top player for other position we need like RB or LB. And Sanchez has been better than Martial IMO
by what measure? Because he runs around more and pressures more? Swear people just see that and think it means one player is better than the other if they run more. Both are different players. Martial was just hitting his stride before sanchez came in and completely tanked the chemistry and our form right as we were heading into UCL knockout stages. All this talk about if martial was playing we wouldnt have won derby, well maybe if martial had been playing we wouldnt have been knocked out in such embarrassing fashion in the UCL. Guess who started both legs there...the world class sanchez did. Even with martial getting shafted around anytime he has even a remotely pedestrian half he still has 9 goals in 26 apps in league, with 10 of those as sub apps. Would be just completely asanine of united to let go of a 22 year old french international player who despite having to adjust to multiple managers and playstyles still has 24 goals in 82 appearances, despite many of those appearances being as subs. All to appease a 29 year old winger and a manager who has maybe a 10 percent chance of being here for a long period of time.

Kapardin

It's not a shock at this point and I won't forgive Mourinho for this unless his decision is vindicated either by Martial flopping elsewhere (which I don't think will happen) or he wins one of the two big trophies with Martial's replacement playing a key role in the process.

Mourinho hasn't fancied him from day 1 and he's gone into his shell. Leaving will probably be best for his career but I fear it is not what's best for us :(
Agreed. Furious with Mourinho. I am not going to be knee-jerk and call for his head, but an EL, LC and maybe an FA Cup is not worth tolerating this.

However, it is possible Martial leaked it to RMC for contract leverage and promise of more playing time before signing a new deal. So let's see. Woodward is surely not as short-sighted as to sanction this sale.

settembrini

Player plus cash for Dybala.
Feck Bale.
Yes to both points!

Dybala would rule in place of Mata and if Juventus really want Martial then maybe we can do a deal. Might as well throw in Darmian for Sandro while we're at it :)

And there's no way we should even consider Bale due to his injury problems.

Patrick08

Why can't we just buy better fullbacks and play a 4312 / 442 diamond next season and put a 2 striker system up front to accommodate Martial and Lukaku up front and play Sanchez behind them in a floating role. The news just spoilt my derby hangover.

Last edited by a moderator:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And yet Real did exactly this with James. I still remember the numbers making the round before we got him. Many people thougt he wouldn't move fpr less than 80 million. Well, he did. I think people underestimate the impact the good relationships we have with you, Real, Barca and Juve have. If Martial wants to move to us only we'll get him cheap (relatively speaking).
James was also on massive contract, that also counts. Don't think ManUtd will sell him for cheap or on loan to buy deal.

Tbf I don't think we will sell him.

Zoo

I just hope Mourinho doesn't replace him with an aged 30+ player. Go out and buy a top draw player of a good age in a position we need (right wing). Leon Bailey?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What has given you the idea that Martial has any interest in playing for Bayern?
If Martial wants to leave United and Bayern come calling, you don't think he would go to one of the top 3 teams in the world? Especially if they make him feel like he has a spot there long term, as a robben/ribery replacement and even possibly up top when Lewandowski leaves? In terms of squad balance wrt age and then playstyle, Bayern would seem like a perfect place for Martial to go.

Janson

Agreed, but the narrative seems to have shifted post January to he's been average all season and he's going to be a flop. I can objectively see the logic in getting in a Sanchez, if a) he was going to be used on the right wing b) we had sufficient time on Martial's contract to risk using him as a rotation option for a year or so until Sanchez had lost his legs and c) if we also said to him, he can be used as rotation for Lukaku too as a 9 and made him feel like his development would still be taken care of by staying here but as it stands, it really may end up being the death knell in keeping him.

There will be other young superstars out there if he goes, but we won't be signing any until Jose's tenure is done. It is clear that the 'development' and 'experiment' phase of Jose's reign is over and I think he wants to bring in his own men, and do it his own way and go hard for the title. Which is fair enough. I just hope people don't shit on Martial on the way out and write him off, he's just at the wrong place at the wrong time under the wrong manager. It happens and in a few years, the environment at Old Trafford could be totally different and better suited to the player he has become at that stage. Highly unlikely he'll be back though.. Pogba situation is incredibly rare.
I don't think we would have signed Sanchez if we thought he would loose his legs in one year.

deafepl

Our board's relationship with Bayern is not really good as Bayern hardly sell one of their top players to us, even though we offered a lot of money, why would we sell martial so cheap for Bayern? Everton would offer more money.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What leverage do we have? The player is actively looking to go. Would we let him rot on the bench for 2 years?
If it's 60m we might as well keep him for a year and sell him next year for the same price. It's not like prices are going down.

I think they are very different examples. James was unwanted on huge money at Real. Real paid well over the odds for him because of a one month tournament. The deal you got raised eyebrows across the football world and shows how desperate Real were to get rid. I don't think you'd be the only suiters for Martial and he's a far more exciting prospect that James was when he joined you on loan. I certainly would hope that we do not play our part in helping you lot in retaining your level on the cheap. It's time you either drop from the elite level in Europe or have to pay your way like the rest. If I was forced to do a shit deal I'd rather do a straight swap with Sandro then sell him to you for 60m.

Thomas Muller might be an option..

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I don't think it would take that much money. I think somewhere between 60 and 70 million would be realisitic.

And obviously we got him on a loan with an option to buy. But we got him. That's the important part.
James is a different situation. He was allowed to leave because they had so much other talent in the midfield.

Martial is more valuable to us, and we will much prefer using him as a makeweight in a deal for a player rather than selling him outright. Our ideal options is that he signs a new contract.

Martial going to Bayern is far down the pecking order when it comes to possibilities.

- Sell to Juventus while buying Dybala
- Sell to Atletico while buying Griezmann

Are the two most likely situations IF he leaves imo. I don't think he's leaving, but wants a better contract.

JohnnyKills

This is the short term thinking that has gotten the club in the situation they are in. Signing Sanchez for a few years service while letting a talented player like Martial leave who can give us ten years worth of service is not sound judgement and is exactly the sort of thing a manager looking to leave within a few years would do.
This.

It's also the reason every other major club has a DoF.

jungledrums

This would be devastating if true. Comfortably my favourite player. That debut season had us all thinking we had a genuine superstar on our hands and a player that would stay here for years to come. Sad thing is, he’ll likely come good at another club if he does go.

bosnian_red

I just hope Mourinho doesn't replace him with an aged 30+ player. Go out and buy a top draw player of a good age in a position we need (right wing). Leon Bailey?
Leon Bailey would be the perfect replacement as he can play both wings effectively, has loads of pace, scores goals, can create, etc.. Also if he were to leave, I'd say we should also get Sessegnon to get a long term left winger, so we have sanchez, bailey, rashford and sessegnon as 4 pacey winger options.

Infra-red

If Martial wants to leave United and Bayern come calling, you don't think he would go to one of the top 3 teams in the world? Especially if they make him feel like he has a spot there long term, as a robben/ribery replacement and even possibly up top when Lewandowski leaves? In terms of squad balance wrt age and then playstyle, Bayern would seem like a perfect place for Martial to go.
I have no idea. Do we have any reason to believe Bayern have/will come calling? According to the piece in RMC, Juventus, Spurs and Atletico are interested.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Player plus cash for Dybala.
Feck Bale.
To be fair, I book him a flight to Turin myself.

Sanchez, Lukaku, Dybala as a front 3 would be fecking awesome!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How much do you think he'll go for given his contract situation? Also, Bayern are a rich club, don't let their considered spending fool you
When have they spent big though? And if they'd do so now, wouldn't clubs change their stance towards them from that point onwards? I don't see them seriously competing in the market.
2 years is a long time for a 22 year old player trying to fulfil his potential.

Walters_19_MuFc

Don't see this happening.
Woody likes to make a massive signing. Mourinho so far has signed Pogba in his first season, and Lukaku in his second. It may not be Bale, but if Martial does leave, then I see a big player coming in.

Two years my club paid lot of money for Paul [Pogba], last summer paid a lot of money for Lukaku, I’m pretty sure next year is going to pay a lot of money for one player.

mav_9me

This is likely a negotiation tactic though from Martial's camp. I wouldn't read too much into it already.
The reason I doubt it is because we clearly see his value and I suspect we would be willing to meet his demands, at least monetary demands, may not be able to meet his sporting demands. Which is why I think he realizes Mourinho doesn't fancy him and he wants to go elsewhere to realize his potential.

I think he is a special talent who might need a bit of "management" but don't think Mourinho sees it as worth it. Suspect SAF would have had better luck with him.

Janson

This is obviously not good news but if it makes it possible to get Bale, then I'd definitely not mind.

Dr. StrangeHate

Leon Bailey would be the perfect replacement as he can play both wings effectively, has loads of pace, scores goals, can create, etc.. Also if he were to leave, I'd say we should also get Sessegnon to get a long term left winger, so we have sanchez, bailey, rashford and sessegnon as 4 pacey winger options.
No point buying unfinished products with Mourinho. He doesn't have the patience to work with them.

King.of.Red

This is the short term thinking that has gotten the club in the situation they are in. Signing Sanchez for a few years service while letting a talented player like Martial leave who can give us ten years worth of service is not sound judgement and is exactly the sort of thing a manager looking to leave within a few years would do.
The offer rejected by him, right? So let's just sell him and focus on building our team for the future. We have other positions that need more attention like midfielder, RW, RB, LB, even CB. And we have Rashford as Sanchez backup. Young and very talented.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He apparently seriously considered moving to us before you got him. He just got too expensive. So he must have had some sort of interest in moving to us. I don't think Real or Barca would be interested, PSG seem to be a long shot, especially considering FFP and Neymar's position, so this would leave us with the English clubs you wouldn't want to sell to, Atletico, Juve and us. And quite frankly, I think becoming the successor to Ribery is far the most attractive option for him.
Obviously I'm just guessing. But I think it would be quite likely.

Snafu17

Trading Martial for Dybala would be a bit pointless as we would be just adding another player that seems to operate in the exact same areas as Pogba and Sanchez.

bosnian_red

I have no idea. Do we have any reason to believe Bayern have/will come calling? According to the piece in RMC, Juventus, Spurs and Atletico are interested.
Like HTG said, Bayern generally are very planned with the profile of players they go after. They went after him before he came to United as a long term attacking player, and might do so again if he does push to leave. You look at their squad, the ages of players and everything else, and Martial would hypothetically suit their needs, so it would make sense from their point of view.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Is there any reasonable reason why Sanchez chooses not to play on the right?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Trading Martial for Dybala would be a bit pointless as we would be just adding another player that seems to operate in the exact same areas as Pogba and Sanchez.
Dybala is a no.10 so no idea where you got that from. Dybala also played very well with Pogba in the team at Juventus.

You've basically just made it up.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
This logic is silly.
Go on then, would you honestly put money on him having the desire Alexis showed and drag the team into getting those goals and winning the match?

Try to be logical not emotional and you would see I am bang on. The kid has room to grow yet and staying at the club would do him a world of good. He should stay and learn from Alexis about desire and drive etc. Skills will only take you so far minus desire and hunger.

SATA

Some of the worship Martial gets on here is beyond ridiculous. He'll end up a good player, someone like Nani or Quaresma. Like them, Martial has the talent but also doesn't really have the mentality and drive to be the best he can be, you can see that in his performances on the pitch

Wouldn't be surprised if Wenger shows an interest though, if he's still Arsenal's manager next season

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think we would have signed Sanchez if we thought he would loose his legs in one year.
Not one, that is an exaggeration but two. And tbh I think Jose doesn't particularly care if Sanchez does last more than 1 or 2 or 5 years at the highest level tbh. It was a Matic-esque signing, to bring 'grown-up' 'adult decision making' into the side so that he could get more reliable quality into the side. Don't see an issue with that, only problem being that individual happens to need to play on the one flank we had two promising players who've been pretty productive. It is what it is though. It is going to hurt a lot of fans, but just going to have to grin and bear it and hope the titles make it all worth it.