Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well yeah, either of those spend large portions of the match in roughly the same position.

But he prefers to be a ten right? Because that's sounds very similar to the talk before the Sanchez transfer and now we barely ever play him outside of the position he is most comfortable in.
Then we would need another RW as well as Dybala. As we wouldn't be solving our RW issue.

BIGbadBOO4

This was inevitable after we signed Sanchez and moved Martial to the right wing where he's never played before. He was one of our best players this season before that happened and now he's an unused substitute. It's really poor treatment by Jose and I think we'll regret it in the long term. Sanchez is nearly 30 and wingers tend to decline early. Rashford doesn't seem like a natural in that position. This will be similar to the mistakes Mourinho made with de Bruyne, Salah etc.
Totally agree with this, poor treatment by Jose. Easily my favourite player to watch.

Zlatattack

Yes to both points!

Dybala would rule in place of Mata and if Juventus really want Martial then maybe we can do a deal. Might as well throw in Darmian for Sandro while we're at it :)

And there's no way we should even consider Bale due to his injury problems.
That's an even better idea!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We should be looking this summer to move Alexis to the left-side and then move Pogba to the number 10 role behind Lukaku, then sign a defensive midfielder to play alongside Matic. So really what we need is a top right-sided player, as we'd have Rashford, Alexis and Martial fighting for the left-side. Martial doesn't work well on the right, so it makes sense if he has to go.

I don't see why he can't be used as a second striker to Lukaku, but I guess he believes his own hype and wants regular playing time which to be fair he would get at some top teams around Europe. It would be a shame to lose him but his attitude isn't really the best I don't think. Would keep Rashford and Sanchez over him any day.

Minimalist

Disappointing news.

Especially not keen on the touted replacement being a player like Bale.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
James is a different situation. He was allowed to leave because they had so much other talent in the midfield.

Martial is more valuable to us, and we will much prefer using him as a makeweight in a deal for a player rather than selling him outright. Our ideal options is that he signs a new contract.

Martial going to Bayern is far down the pecking order when it comes to possibilities.

- Sell to Juventus while buying Dybala
- Sell to Atletico while buying Griezmann

Are the two most likely situations IF he leaves imo. I don't think he's leaving, but wants a better contract.
He probably does, but not sure if he has produced enough to be demanding anything. He is another one who just has potential. In fact the best place for him, would have been Monaco. He should have stayed there and developed some more. They get too impatient and think they are ready and are not prepared to work to earn the right to start for a team like United. These kids move far too early and the majority do not reach that potential.

Manchester United is no longer a club for taking a long time to develop players as football now is seriously cut throat and is for today not tomorrow. People really have to deal with that. We will always try to bring our own kids through,as that is in our DNA, but not sure we should be looking at unfinished articles from abroad and expecting them to all of a sudden turn into world beaters. You can still get youngish players who are far nearer being ready from the big clubs abroad. We need players ready to bring something to the team now.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well if you are playing 4-2-3-1 then of course Dybala can be played as a ten but then we would need to buy another winger. If we don't then surely we would play Mata as a number 10 and Dybala out wide who plays there quite proficiently. Also Dybala would offer more pace than Mata. This is all highly speculative as we haven't even signed Dybabla and we would still need another RW imo.
Yeh, not much difference between Mata on the right and no.10 anyway.

Dybala to replace Mata on the right to act like a right sided no.10 would do nicely.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Disappointing news.

Especially not keen on the touted replacement being a player like Bale.
I wouldn't mind getting in guys like Bale/Sanchez if we also keep Rashford and Martial. That way we keep a good blend between winning right now and looking at the long term picture. It is going to be very interesting this summer.

el3mel

He has obvious flaws but also his talent is obvious for anyone to see. No way around I'll be gutted if he ends up leaving. Hopefully things lighten up a bit for him with the remaining games of the season.

CG1010

The reason I doubt it is because we clearly see his value and I suspect we would be willing to meet his demands, at least monetary demands, may not be able to meet his sporting demands. Which is why I think he realizes Mourinho doesn't fancy him and he wants to go elsewhere to realize his potential.

I think he is a special talent who might need a bit of "management" but don't think Mourinho sees it as worth it. Suspect SAF would have had better luck with him.
Even if we are willing to meet his demands (I doubt we would if he is asking for say 400k per week), I doubt Ed would give in so easily. These things set precedent in the squad and once you have agreed to give a large pay hike to Martial, so would it be demanded by Rashford, Pogba, De Gea, Lukaku and then it will trickle down to even squad players.

I very much doubt that Mourinho doesn't fancy him. Martial has played far too much with us for Mourinho to not like him. But yes, its possible that he doesn't see him as a footballing talent as big as Martial seems himself.

Deleted member 101472

Quite happy recouping a transfer fee (and hopefully some more) for a player who’s entire time at united has been a 6/10 at best.

DomesticTadpole

He has obvious flaws but also his talent is obvious for anyone to see. No way around I'll be gutted if he ends up leaving. Hopefully things lighten up a bit for him with the remaining games of the season.
There is talent there, but the really talented players show it more often. He has the odd moment but other times looks like he would rather be doing something else.

Jacko21

This is where the board backing Mourinho to the hilt could bite us in the arse.

Big call to make. Even they'll recognise that as an asset, Martial has tremendous value. But it's not as if they are going to lobby Mourinho.

Mourinho will have the final call on this, either he wants Martial to stay and convinces him of his future, or he leaves. Think we all know where this is headed.

haram

If Martial leaves we will replace him with a top player who will likely play off the right. People are being way too emotional.

Manchester United will go on.

el3mel

There is talent there, but the really talented players show it more often. He has the odd moment but other times looks like he would rather be doing something else.
That's why I said he has obvious flaws, but will still feel bad to lose his talent, unless we go on and sign another top talent on the right side.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It doesn't matter how highly you are rated by Mourinho, he will sell you if you want to leave. It's an essential part of his management psychology; he wants players that will die for him on the pitch. If you are not committed, you will be dropped and frozen out of the squad until you fix your mentality (ie. Mkhi and Pogba).

Snafu17

Sanchez is an inverted forward, Pogba is a dynamic centre midfielder. Dybala is a no.10. Where is this same position you are talking about?

Do you expect players to restrict themselves to a set position on the pitch, how are they supposed to link up? Positional overlap is normal for any team.
Yeah, naming their positions differently doesn't mean they don't operate in the same area. No, I don't expect them to restrict themselves, I expect the team to strive for some balance. Now adding another player who likes to operate in that exact area might not be the best option. Especially, considering the fact that we have a bit of a big games Pogba problem as is, so adding a player that would either like to come inside from the left hand side (which means no width) or just rather consistently play number 10 (which means no midfield of 3) does not seem the best of solutions. Of course it might work or we might end up having a similar problem as this year where we'll be restricting one of our best players. So an alternative to Dybala might be smart.

Camilo

Should get 25, 30m for him.. Shame he never improved one bit in his time here. Good luck to the boy.

DomesticTadpole

This is where the board backing Mourinho to the hilt could bite us in the arse.

Big call to make. Even they'll recognise that as an asset, Martial has tremendous value. But it's not as if they are going to lobby Mourinho.

Mourinho will have the final call on this, either he wants Martial to stay and convinces him of his future, or he leaves. Think we all know where this is headed.
Might be bullshit of course. If we lose Mourinho for this kid and he does nothing I would be furious.

FerociousCorgis

Martial likely wouldn't have set up 3 goals quite like Alexis did.

Martial is not a better performer than Alexis. I cant believe this is even being discussed. He doesn't touch the left wing spot when Alexis is fit.
god i love people continually spouting this. Literally 100 percent opinion, zero percent fact. Maybe with martial in there we actually get a shot attempt in the first half and aren't relying on being lucky that sterling was finishing about as well as half of us would have. Maybe with martial we wouldn't have limped out to sevilla in champions league. Even with martial getting shafted throughout year by mou and busting his ass to get back in to squad only to be cast aside yet again, he has 9 goals and 5 assists in 26 appearances (10 as subs, and a couple where he got yanked early of course) Sanchez with united and arsenal....9 goals and 6 assists in 27 appearances. So yeah, pardon me for not buying into this martial cant hold a candle to sanchez's jockstrap and all this talk about how martial couldn't do this or we wouldn't have done that. It was so shortsighted and stupid to buy sanchez and play him at LW. We already had martial AND rashford who were playing pretty well there. We had holes at RW and the 10. Especially to add sanchez in a year where the title was already lost and the gamble he would help in champions league clearly didn't pay off. Just not a good transfer policy from united and don't really see the critical thinking of a transfer strategy. Just woodward going into a toy store and buying the biggest name toy he could find yet again.

Minimalist

It doesn't matter how highly you are rated by Mourinho, he will sell you if you want to leave. It's an essential part of his management psychology; he wants players that will die for him on the pitch. If you are not committed, you will be dropped and frozen out of the squad until you fix your mentality (ie. Mkhi and Pogba).
Though, it's also understandable how this isn't likely to be sustainable in the long-term.

Janson

Not one, that is an exaggeration but two. And tbh I think Jose doesn't particularly care if Sanchez does last more than 1 or 2 or 5 years at the highest level tbh. It was a Matic-esque signing, to bring 'grown-up' 'adult decision making' into the side so that he could get more reliable quality into the side. Don't see an issue with that, only problem being that individual happens to need to play on the one flank we had two promising players who've been pretty productive. It is what it is though. It is going to hurt a lot of fans, but just going to have to grin and bear it and hope the titles make it all worth it.
I think he was desperate to bring in someone established in attack, as you say. I'm guessing we were probably counting to get 2-3 years of top level from him when we got him. The fact he got him for the LW when we know he can play on the right as well just shows how little confidence he has in Martial and Rashford. I'm only surprised why this wasn't done in the summer. I would never have dared to go in to this season with two such inexperienced players for the wings. Jose only realised this too late.

Mourinho should stop trying to please people and prove he isn't a "youth killer", and just do what he knows best.

Patrick08

If Martial leaves we will replace him with a top player who will likely play off the right. People are being way too emotional.

Only Asensio will be good enough as Martial's replacement.

Alabaster Codify7

Okay, fine. Would prefer him at OT but he hasn't seemed happy for a long time, is inconsistent and if he doesn't want to accept the offer then good luck elsewhere.

He'll be a good player but being honest - I don't see this potential world-class player. I think he'll have a veyr good career but he doesn't scream world class to me, nor has he ever.

Talented, but not immensely so. As I said, I'd prefer him to stay but oh well.

Snafu17

Then we would need another RW as well as Dybala. As we wouldn't be solving our RW issue.
Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. Might be a bit wiser if we don't buy Dybala and add someone else, a actual right winger or whatnot. Doubt we would go for two attackers if Martial leaves.

mav_9me

Have you lost your marbles?
You see I don't think it's so straight forward. I get what you are saying but the point I would make is Martial is likelier to be with us for a longer period of time, if everything goes well.

What do you think about this scenario for example: Mourinho doesn't win the league next year and basically we have the same season or so. He gets replaced by Jardim or Poch or whoever as we look to play a more possession/pressing based style which would mean a more conducive style for Martial to shine in. Quite possible no?

I guess the point I am trying to make is Mourinho has no where near the equity like say SAF had when he got rid of Stam.

Ultimately I would always back the manager but this one is close for me.

DomesticTadpole

god i love people continually spouting this. Literally 100 percent opinion, zero percent fact. Maybe with martial in there we actually get a shot attempt in the first half and aren't relying on being lucky that sterling was finishing about as well as half of us would have. Maybe with martial we wouldn't have limped out to sevilla in champions league. Even with martial getting shafted throughout year by mou and busting his ass to get back in to squad only to be cast aside yet again, he has 9 goals and 5 assists in 26 appearances (10 as subs, and a couple where he got yanked early of course) Sanchez with united and arsenal....9 goals and 6 assists in 27 appearances. So yeah, pardon me for not buying into this martial cant hold a candle to sanchez's jockstrap and all this talk about how martial couldn't do this or we wouldn't have done that. It was so shortsighted and stupid to buy sanchez and play him at LW. We already had martial AND rashford who were playing pretty well there. We had holes at RW and the 10. Especially to add sanchez in a year where the title was already lost and the gamble he would help in champions league clearly didn't pay off. Just not a good transfer policy from united and don't really see the critical thinking of a transfer strategy. Just woodward going into a toy store and buying the biggest name toy he could find yet again.
You mean the Rashford and Martial that most people were calling every name under the sun when they ran up blind alleyways or didn't pass the ball to someone in a better position. If this lad wants to sulk his way out of United I couldn't care less. He has no loyalty to United. I doubt very much that we will even consider letting Rashford go, to me that is shit stirring by the press on a galactic scale.

mav_9me

Nothing to do with emotion. I will be gutted because I think he is a world class talent. Not because I love him for some other reason.

gza the genius

Not one, that is an exaggeration but two. And tbh I think Jose doesn't particularly care if Sanchez does last more than 1 or 2 or 5 years at the highest level tbh. It was a Matic-esque signing, to bring 'grown-up' 'adult decision making' into the side so that he could get more reliable quality into the side. Don't see an issue with that, only problem being that individual happens to need to play on the one flank we had two promising players who've been pretty productive. It is what it is though. It is going to hurt a lot of fans, but just going to have to grin and bear it and hope the titles make it all worth it.
The last bit is the important part. If we don't win anything major in the next two seasons it's going to look like a very stupid bit of business. If we do, I doubt too many people will be worried about what Martial is doing elsewhere.

DomesticTadpole

You see I don't think it's so straight forward. I get what you are saying but the point I would make is Martial is likelier to be with us for a longer period of time, if everything goes well.

What do you think about this scenario for example: Mourinho doesn't win the league next year and basically we have the same season or so. He gets replaced by Jardim or Poch or whoever as we look to play a more possession/pressing based style which would mean a more conducive style for Martial to shine in. Quite possible no?

I guess the point I am trying to make is Mourinho has no where near the equity like say SAF had when he got rid of Stam.

Ultimately I would always back the manager but this one is close for me.
What if Martial doesn't improve though? He was good when we bought him, but he sure as hell wasn't anywhere near Mbappe's class.

GBBQ

Should get 25, 30m for him.. Shame he never improved one bit in his time here. Good luck to the boy.
Thats crazy. Siggurdson went to Everton for 40 million. Martial's stats and ability should make him worth much more than Gylfi.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah, naming their positions differently doesn't mean they won't operate in the same area. No, I don't expect them to restrict themselves, I expect the team to strive for some balance. Now adding another player who likes to operate in that exact area might not be the best option. Especially, considering the fact that we have a bit of a big games Pogba problem as is, so adding a player that would either like to come inside from the left hand side (which means no width) or just rather consistently play number 10 (which means no midfield of 3) does not seem the best of solutions. Of course it might work or we might end up having a similar problem as this year where we'll be restricting one of our best players. So an alternative to Dybala might be smart.
Well we are in the market for fullbacks, so getting attackers that come inside and fullbacks to provide width is an option.

That being said, Mourinho teams are by in large 'unbalanced' in that they operate through the middle in both defense and attack. Much like most defensive teams, they restrict the space through the middle and attack through a physical striker and support no.10.

Atletico madrid are another example of a team that are unbalanced, but perform at the highest level. Their fullbacks are generally defensive, and the congest the midfield. They use a physical striker and support no.10 to attack through the middle.