Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Good news from Di Marzio. Really needs to show his worth next season and prove his critics wrong. I think we all know he’s got the talent, it’s just a matter of time before he’s world class - the question is will United be patient enough?

crossy1686

career ending
Good news from Di Marzio. Really needs to show his worth next season and prove his critics wrong. I think we all know he’s got the talent, it’s just a matter of time before he’s world class - the question is will United be patient enough?
Realistically, where was Martial going to go for the fee we wanted and the wages he wanted? Hopefully he sorts his act out next season and goes on to become the player was hope he can be.

MrSingh2002

Give him a season playing on the left and try Sanchez on the right. I'm of a firm belief that would actually work and solve two problems in one.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We have two special young talents with Martial and Rashford. Let them continue to develop, provide them with opportunities and we will have our attack sorted out for the next five to six years.

Judas

Open to offers
We have two special young talents with Martial and Rashford. Let them continue to develop, provide them with opportunities and we will have our attack sorted out for the next five to six years.
Barely ever works out like that though, does it? Plus we need more success now, not in the future.

Craig Ward

Give him a season playing on the left and try Sanchez on the right. I'm of a firm belief that would actually work and solve two problems in one.
If martial stays, then this absolutely has to happen.

Keeping martial benched and restricted to limited appearances will do him no good. he's good enough to play and LW is his best position. Sanchez is more adapt and can play RW. Martial has been tried at RW and it doesn't work.

If Sanchez takes current form into next season he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 anyway

RetroStu

Rival fans often say our new signings are luxary buys, or 'ego buys' for whatever reason, but Sanchez really was one of those, totally pointless.

Fer

I remember that we used to rotate Martial and Rashford on the left wing... I hope we can do the same next season with Alexis-Martial. I would even play Martial as ST to rest Lukaku some games.

Revan

Assumptionman
Seems the obvious thing to do, and it should work. If we don't sign Bale, I hope we do exactly that.

MrSingh2002

If martial stays, then this absolutely has to happen.

Keeping martial benched and restricted to limited appearances will do him no good. he's good enough to play and LW is his best position. Sanchez is more adapt and can play RW. Martial has been tried at RW and it doesn't work.

If Sanchez takes current form into next season he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 anyway
I really hope he stays and we try Sánchez on the right. Can’t be any worse than we finished the season really.
Seems the obvious thing to do, and it should work. If we don't sign Bale, I hope we do exactly that.
If only Jose felt the same way. It seems as though he must have promised Sanchez he would be signed to play off the left side or something. If not it would have been logical to play Martial and Sanchez on opposite wings atleast in games we were set up to attack.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Martial can't lace Sanchez's boots - at least not now anyway. I will take the so called 'average' display of Sanchez over what Martial has been serving lately. Sanchez puts his soul on the pitch. That is priceless for me. And frankly, players with his reputation, are often played even when not at their best until it is proven beyond every reasonable doubt that they are finished. It may not be fair but it is what it is in football. The likes of Martial and Rashford are not there yet. They just need to humble themselves, bid their time and grab their opportunities, otherwise, they should leave. I have seen these kids given opportunities they bungle. This is not a mid table club. It is Manchester United at a period the club is desperate to return to the top. I am getting especially tired of transfer news around Martial. I remember Jose saying, early two seasons ago, that Martial needs to listen less to his agent and more to his coach. Rumours of his departure had been ignited as far back as then. I'll be delighted if he stays and is happy but if he desperately wants to go, he should go and be properly replaced. That will be the best for everyone.
Martial was far better in the first half of the season than Sanchez was in the second half of the season once he replaced him. Indeed, Martial had just begun to re-establish himself as our most important attacker (a position he first held in his first season), and if I remember correctly had won three of the six player of the month awards for the club.

Even in the second half of the season when Martial's form fell away after being moved around and dropped, it's debatable which one of them was better. Sanchez's best games were better than Martial's best during that period, but his worst games were also worse.

With your second part I bolded, that's partly the problem. That's exactly what Martial did do. He started this season seemingly slightly behind Rashford in the pecking order. He didn't complain, he simply knuckled down and played well when it was his turn. After the a month or two it was obvious Martial was significantly outperforming Rashford, but Mourinho continued rotating them pretty much evenly. Martial still didn't complain and simply continued playing well with his opportunities, and eventually Mourinho recognised this and moved him into the undisputed first choice role. He had to fight for that spot, but he fought for it and ultimately won it and became arguably our best player for the next month or two. Then he got dropped because we signed a new player. A new player who proceeded to play far worse than what he himself had been doing, but there was never any hint that the new guy had to fight for his spot. He simply stepped in as first choice no matter how badly he played, and Martial if anything was dropped back to third choice despite performing better than both of the players being picked ahead of him. Now hopefully next season will be different and whoever performs the best gets the role. Whether that is Sanchez or Martial (or Rashford), that's all we can ask for. If Sanchez deserves it, great. If Martial deserves it, hopefully he actually gets it this time.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Fair enough.

For me though, the wealthier team has to use that to their advantage - you want Martial, we get Erickson/Kane for example.

I'm not pushing for that exact scenario btw, just as a hypothetical.

I don't think a club of United's wealth should be letting talent go to another top 4 club when transfer fee matters less to us.

Let him go abroad or keep him would be my approach.
Good point, you do have enough money so maybe you feel you can sell for a lot less instead of selling to a rival.

So you agree that if Martial has to go, it has to be a foreign club, unless Spurs or anyone else pays way over the odds for him
Each situation is different, in this particular case Martial has one year left on his contract right? So if he was pushing to go to a club in England United can't do that much about it, much like Sanchez and Van Persie. Not saying Martial is doing this, and not saying he wants to go to Spurs, I know nothing about the situation, but the less time on the contract the more power the player has.

I personally think Martial is using this contract situation to get some assurances of playing time, but with Sanchez there he could go depending on how Jose feels imo.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Each situation is different, in this particular case Martial has one year left on his contract right? So if he was pushing to go to a club in England United can't do that much about it, much like Sanchez and Van Persie. Not saying Martial is doing this, and not saying he wants to go to Spurs, I know nothing about the situation, but the less time on the contract the more power the player has.

I personally think Martial is using this contract situation to get some assurances of playing time, but with Sanchez there he could go depending on how Jose feels imo.
There's the option of a further year that the club can activate.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
There's the option of a further year that the club can activate.
Thanks for the info, that's smart, in which case United got more to say about where he goes. What do you think will happen?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I just want him to get his shit together if he is staying. Needs more intensity in his play. Even games where he's played LW last season he went missing or at walking pace/uninterested.

Hopefully less girl drama too, as apparently that affected his form too in 2017 according to fans. Otherwise, if he's not happy here just get rid and get Bale to sort out our RW issues at last.

::sonny::

He should leave to play every game in a little club like Sevilla, Marseille or Liepzig

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I just want him to get his shit together if he is staying. Needs more intensity in his play. Even games where he's played LW last season he went missing or at walking pace/uninterested.
If McKenna is taking control of training that might help to some extent.

Thanks for the info, that's smart, in which case United got more to say about where he goes. What do you think will happen?
He'll stay for this season then after that it is anyone's guess. If we do sign someone like Bale then I doubt he'll get anywhere near the minutes he'd like to sign a new deal as Sanchez and Bale would be the starters regardless of form.

Kidders

We should not contemplate letting Martial go, in my opinion he has more natural talent than any of our forwards, I would rather sell Sanchez (part exchange with Griezman?) and play him left forward in a 4-3-3

Woziak

We should not contemplate letting Martial go, in my opinion he has more natural talent than any of our forwards, I would rather sell Sanchez (part exchange with Griezman?) and play him left forward in a 4-3-3
Totally agree, Sanchez just does not suit the club, his pace and levels have declined noticeably and any Marquee player from Rheus, Griezmann or Bale would suit the explosive counter attacking team Jose wants. He just slows the game down like Pogba and gives the ball away. I would even take D Costa, L Bailey or A Tallisca, a left footed quick inside right to play with Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and Lingard.
Sanchez has to play brilliantly in the first 10 games to change my mind, great player just not right for our club, he was decent at Barcelona, World Class at Arsenal and so far shite at United!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Made the mistake of listening to Talk Sport on the drive home today. Turned on when they were talking about Martial being successful and a great fit for Spurs, and debating where he’ll play for them. Then a few minutes later one of the gormless twats said “this is still just a rumour”.

Oh, if it’s just a rumour then please go further with your analysis. Tell me how he’ll be demanding a better contract after his Golden Boot win at the 2022 World Cup, before bottling his own piss and selling it to the sentient lions from Edinburgh Zoo that I genetically created after winning the lottery you fecking plums.

yo@Kirk

The claim that Sanchez needs time to settle is just so much BS. In Sept. 2015, Anthony Martial got off a plane from France, signed his contract, put on a United shirt, and scored 3 goals in 115 minutes vs Liverpool and Southhampton. In Jan. 2018, Alexis Sanchez arrives from London, signs his contract, puts on a United shirt, and scores 3 goals in 19 appearances and over 1500 minutes of playing time.

Sanchez didn't even have to put in a good sub performance to win the starting job Martial had worked so hard to achieve. That's a good way to sew the seeds of dissension in any team.

red_de_pologne

Except that the current Spurs team aren't a tier below United. Living in the past does you no favours.
Tier 1 - trophy almost guaranteed, league and CL favourites
Tier 2 - trophy very likely, fight for the league and CL
Tier 3 - trophy unlikely, fight for top 4 and hoping for good CL run
Tier 4 - no chance of a trophy, midtable and no CL

yeah, United are without a doubt a tier above Spuds

SSSSnake

To be fair Sanchez couldn’t play any worse on the left so may as well play Martial there instead. Just wish Jose would play him more instead of Rashford

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is Martial better than Son?
Martial would in time become Spurs' best attacker, not saying his goalscoring will ever top Kane's but in terms of individual ability, coupled with playing week in week out with Poch's softly softly approach with young players and no fear of loosing his place if he has one bad game he'd absolutely thrive

But a lot of that says more about the mentality of the player more than anything else

Smores

Martial would in time become Spurs' best attacker, not saying his goalscoring will ever top Kane's but in terms of individual ability, coupled with playing week in week out with Poch's softly softly approach with young players and no fear of loosing his place if he has one bad game he'd absolutely thrive

But a lot of that says more about the mentality of the player more than anything else
Martial has a long way to go to even meet Son's all round game and consistency never mind exceed it. Always amazes me to see people make statements on potential with such certainty

charlenefan

Martial has a long way to go to even meet Son's all round game and consistency never mind exceed it. Always amazes me to see people make statements on potential with such certainty
Son is a grafter but lets not make out he's ever going to be a world beater, you need players like him in your squad (even starting XI) but he's never going to have that X-Factor about him. We've all seen from Martial what's he's capable of doing so it's not really a case of just potential but just consistency

haram

Yeah, I very much doubt he surpasses Kane period.

charlenefan

Yeah, I very much doubt he surpasses Kane period.
Kane is a good target man and an excellent natural goalscorer but is his ability to run a players, beat them and create something out of nothing really that good? That's not a criticism it's just not the type of player he is so you would never compare him with Hazard for example would you?

MUFC OK

I really hope he stays and we try Sánchez on the right. Can’t be any worse than we finished the season really.
I agree, Sanchez was equally poor either side whereas Martial still looks a threat on the left. Sanchez will improve next season in my opinion, he looked totally burned out last season.

Aloysius's Back 3

Martial would replace delle ali within half a season imo; ali is a good player but martial can give a winning edge to spurs and an extra bit of quality that makes opposition defences nervous. Martial would be deadly behind a target man like Kane; allowed to take on the defence from the centre both by dribbling or by short one two's which is a underrated aspect of his game. Would provide spurs with a back up striker on the pitch as well as off it, would provide them an additional LW when needed as Pochettino likes moving alli, Eriksen, son around the 3 advanced areas.

To me he is a CF/SS rather than a pure ST, put him there he is to me a great prospect with a level of unpredictability to his game that can break defenders ankles, at LW he is much more predictable as he always ends up taking defenders on from a certain angle.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Barely ever works out like that though, does it? Plus we need more success now, not in the future.
We can have success now, even with them continuing to develop.